Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Doomsayer posted:

Yeah, although there's a mod that makes it consistent to "blue = single action", "yellow = turn-ending". I don't know if it's that mod where "green = free action" (like hitting an objective or clearing Dazed) or if it's like that in the base game.

I hesitate to describe any mod for any game as 'essential' but I really can't imagine playing XCOM 2 without Cost-Based Ability Colors. There are still some tiny edge cases where it isn't 100% consistent (e.g. planting X4 charges) but generally you are right it is green for free, blue for one action, yellow for one action that ends the turn and brown for two actions that end the turn (only snipers get this I think). It's helpful all through the game but doubly so once your troops start getting abilities like Salvo and Quickdraw that let them continue acting after doing something that would previously have ended their turn.

I agree with the sentiment that the Chosen Assassin is a pain in the rear end and the default story Chosen Assassin with shadowstep is a double pain in the rear end. On my recent max difficulty runs I am always crossing my fingers for the Hunter on my first retaliation mission, he has the most annoying dialogue but is by far the least threatening and least dangerous of the three. The Warlock is usually pretty manageable but he does have a couple of annoying abilities that shield him until you clear out his summons, and his dialogue is almost as irritating as the Hunter's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Hunter is the best across the board. The Assassin is a whiner complaining about honor and invalidating overwatch, and the Warlock never shuts up ever

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what else would you expect from a katana user

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Just go play. Running into a new enemy for the first time and being unsure of its capabilities is part of the fun. Don't preemptively optimize the fun out of XCOM.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I got my hands on a Reaper and drat, this class is super fun.

Edit: So I have not touched the campaign yet, the Legacy Operation missions are my preparations for it. I gotta say, they are a blast. The "Avenger Assemble" scenario is so amazingly enjoyable. I like how am I getting a feel for all of the classes and their different specs.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 1, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reapers own but I think Skirmishers might be my favorite just for the sheer variety of options they get. The ability to actually mix up the standard move/shoot/item actions is a lot more powerful than I first gave it credit for.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That reminds me, you don't get a story Templar like the other factions. I wonder why? Too goofy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"I did... NOTHING!" is still my favorite line in the game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That reminds me, you don't get a story Templar like the other factions. I wonder why? Too goofy?

the funny thing about that to me is that i find its actually pretty hard to level a babby templar once you've got a bunch of mutons running around but the reaper and skirmisher are pretty easy to integrate from the jump

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Templars go on covert ops until they’re an LT, at least

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's gotta be a time and budget thing, like the robot faction and explosives Chosen.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

the funny thing about that to me is that i find its actually pretty hard to level a babby templar once you've got a bunch of mutons running around but the reaper and skirmisher are pretty easy to integrate from the jump

If you get a templar on gatecrasher (by disabling the Lost and Abandoned mission) they whip rear end from the get go and never stop being useful.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Had the Hunter trigger blade master immediately after being struck by melee for some reason. Unfortunately for him he was brittle, I had a full sword build and was armed with the katana. 30 damage in one move, rip.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I feel like templars only need one upgrade to be incredibly useful, if you stand out in the open and parry the enemy seems like it will always shoot you, so being able to always be able to leave one alien alive if you have to and take no damage is incredibly strong even if they barely do any damage

I'm doing pretty well in my legend run but I was lucky enough to pull Infiltration I think is the name as my first reaper favor, where you don't start mission timers until you break concealment, which has to be one of the best ones in the game, so that's made it way easier

I also got tactical analysis as a continent bonus so I mean it's hard to imagine getting luckier with perk rolls

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2020

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

Had the Hunter trigger blade master immediately after being struck by melee for some reason. Unfortunately for him he was brittle, I had a full sword build and was armed with the katana. 30 damage in one move, rip.

They might have had the 'free move' after taking damage strength

Which obviously was not a strength this time

:evilbuddy:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My favorite was one-shotting the assassin with a similar setup. She was weak to explosions and Reapers, and decided to hide next to a pile of explosive...something. 1 remote-started claymore later, the little pieces that were left of her teleported back off the map :)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

"I did... NOTHING!" is still my favorite line in the game

I am encouraged :smug:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

1 remote-started claymore

Is this an actual thing you can do, or do you just mean you tossed the Claymore by the other explosives and Remote Started those?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Is this an actual thing you can do, or do you just mean you tossed the Claymore by the other explosives and Remote Started those?

You can't remote start a claymore, sadly. That would be incredible.

Edit: I think you can sting a claymore though

Assassin seems to love hiding behind explosives though, so it's probably the second. Default assassin is weak to reapers and explosives so I think it's very much the intended way to take care of them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tossed it next to whatever the explosive thing was, and it went off with the remote-started explosive. The 2 kabooms plus weakness: Reapers finished her off in a single shot :getin:

e: explosives are the solution to cover, Chosen or not. 6 heavies on the map is a level of ridiculous that none of the others can aspire to :stwoon:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bug Squash posted:

You can't remote start a claymore, sadly. That would be incredible.

Edit: I think you can sting a claymore though

Assassin seems to love hiding behind explosives though, so it's probably the second. Default assassin is weak to reapers and explosives so I think it's very much the intended way to take care of them.

You shouldn't have to sting claymores, shooting a claymore doesn't reveal the reaper.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I don't know if anybody still plays X-Com Enemy Within, but this is the second game I've started where I have yet to get a second assault class by the third month. gently caress.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Sometimes I forget that cost based ability colors is a mod because it's just so essential to the game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I know I am only playing WOTC on the default difficulty and I am still at the start of the game, but I feel like I am dunking on these battles so far.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I don't know if anybody still plays X-Com Enemy Within, but this is the second game I've started where I have yet to get a second assault class by the third month. gently caress.

The game wants you to level every map with rockets. Or to build an army of punch robots.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is why I am glad you can train solders up in specific classes in the second game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

The game wants you to level every map with rockets. Or to build an army of punch robots.

Yeah I was all in on rockets on my first try, but it was a problem mid-game when I needed a bunch of UFO parts and realized I blew them all up. Not to mention that it's a pain the rear end capturing aliens without lightning reflexes.

It's a really nicely designed risk vs reward system, unfortunately the rng has decided that I should just blow everything to poo poo.

Hilariously, my one assault trooper also has close quarter combat, which is an amazing skill, but they keep disintegrating aliens they were supposed to capture :haw:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Central being sick of the arc thrower is why we get it as the Skulljack in 2. :black101:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kind of wish the legacy missions had a baby mode where you could turn off Ironman in exchange for tanking your score or something.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hwurmp posted:

Kind of wish the legacy missions had a baby mode where you could turn off Ironman in exchange for tanking your score or something.

You can restart a mission in exchange for a 5000 pt penalty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kaal posted:

For the record:
This still exists on the first map of each set for some reason and your score can go negative.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Anyone test if the score variable can underflow?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kaal posted:

Yeah, but sometimes I'd like to be able to just rewind to right before the bad activation that killed everyone.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also if you dont know if you dont want to play the missions for the unlocks theres a mod that just unlocks them for you and they're just unlocked forever after you run it once

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
man so I never used mind shields before playing on commander but I was watching a dude do a playthrough of them on legend and these are actually insane against the chosen?

they also let you just put anyone you want into battle whether they're tired or not since it cancels out any effects from being tired, like going panicked or berserk or whatever

like just having the ability to make the chosen essentially waste an entire turn throwing a stun grenade or something seems really good, also you don't have to waste turns where your dudes are recovering from being dazed because they can never be dazed in the first place

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

man so I never used mind shields before playing on commander but I was watching a dude do a playthrough of them on legend and these are actually insane against the chosen?

they also let you just put anyone you want into battle whether they're tired or not since it cancels out any effects from being tired, like going panicked or berserk or whatever

like just having the ability to make the chosen essentially waste an entire turn throwing a stun grenade or something seems really good, also you don't have to waste turns where your dudes are recovering from being dazed because they can never be dazed in the first place

Totally, I think my past few playthroughs mind shields have been the first item I've made. 5 of em, pop pop pop. I think units will still get shaken from losing will though? Then aren't deployable? Honestly haven't tried that aspect

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes that's still true

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Mind shields are ridiculously good and once I get to predator armor 4/6 or 5/6 of my guys will be having them in the second item slot. Having one on whoever is carrying the medkit is a non-negotiable must. It blocks the "dazed" effect, any mind control or induced panic, and I think it even stops the fatigued phobias from triggering too. Also keeps your guy standing and active when a spectre clones them. Maybe I rely on them so much because I typically don't get a psionic soldier till much, much later (personal preference, just think they're super OP when you rush them) so I don't have access to the cleansing aura that would help deal with some of the same maluses.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

rideANDxORdie posted:

Mind shields are ridiculously good and once I get to predator armor 4/6 or 5/6 of my guys will be having them in the second item slot. Having one on whoever is carrying the medkit is a non-negotiable must. It blocks the "dazed" effect, any mind control or induced panic, and I think it even stops the fatigued phobias from triggering too. Also keeps your guy standing and active when a spectre clones them. Maybe I rely on them so much because I typically don't get a psionic soldier till much, much later (personal preference, just think they're super OP when you rush them) so I don't have access to the cleansing aura that would help deal with some of the same maluses.

I pop them on my psychics until they have Solace just because they're so incredibly dangerous if they get mind-controlled. Ask me about the time my own Psi Op wiped out four of her friends with a single null lance :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Unless they've changed it, solace doesn't actually protect the psitrooper themsevles and/or people IN it, it only checks when the aura passes over them in a certain direction. Which was an unpleasant discovery.

edit: actually yea, it was on my Vanilla 'Why Needs Tygan' run where I had 6 maxed magi and I kept needing to shuffle them about to cancel various effects.
edit2: much like Blademaster, its entirely possible there's an undocumented rework in the transition to WotC that buffed it. Blademaster used to be so much less auto-win that it is now, but I'm not complaining!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 4, 2020