Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's still weird they didn't just say "all these cards are preemptively banned in Legacy/Vintage" from the get go. Or use the supplementary products like that 'Unsanctioned' board game box set to publish explicit silver-border-that-actually-work cards with acorns.

someone at hasbro probably said early in development "broaden its appeal or we kill it," and making everything legal that could work in the rules was wotc's solution. its appeal to commander players was apparently at the forefront of their minds and they wrote off legacy and vintage by just underpowering everything. and again they probably severely underestimated the amount of effort out would take to implement on modo

a lot of this is speculation but I think it's reasonable given what the ban article says and how wotc product design has positioned itself in the last five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its really easy to just say "its all banned" and move on. Its actually really loving lazy too. You can errata sticker goblin to the MTGO version and everyone wins. You can ban cards in legacy and not commander just as you can ban cards in commander but not legacy. The decisions taken seem like they were less time intensive than the time took to write the article. Their product releases have more complexity in "what is legal for which format" than the problems this ban announcement was trying to solve for.

ilmucche posted:

Just caught the ban list update. Eh, not going to miss stickers/attractions but they weren't the worst thing in the world. If they print name sticker in a future set then whatever.

Found it funny they said this in a ban list announcement. The ban list is right there!! Or say commander product isn't for legacy, they can do this, they control the formats.

:same: I am getting really annoyed when they take the "we don't have a choice" line when they absolutely do.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah they could just print name sticker goblin as it exists on mtgo. There are already cards that roll d20 in paper aren't there?

What are the percentages like of mind goblin v name sticker? I've seen mind goblin I think three times in paper

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Fajita Queen posted:

All of the complaints about stickers and attractions basically just boil down to a big ol' "skill issue". Now we've lost a bunch of interesting stuff because so-called pro players can't handle having a few extra cards in their deck boxes.

I find the scope increase of needing to bring a bunch of outside game pieces besides a literal deck of cards to be annoying, not solely the unset stuff. For me, it was just a piece of the small annoyance at that. I’m glad to see it gone, but I would like for them to be more mindful about it in general. I am sorry to the people who like it though. It stinks when things you like are banned.

In general I don’t find any of this to be that serious and it is funny watching the hot takes pour in

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kalel posted:

someone at hasbro probably said early in development "broaden its appeal or we kill it," and making everything legal that could work in the rules was wotc's solution. its appeal to commander players was apparently at the forefront of their minds and they wrote off legacy and vintage by just underpowering everything. and again they probably severely underestimated the amount of effort out would take to implement on modo

a lot of this is speculation but I think it's reasonable given what the ban article says and how wotc product design has positioned itself in the last five years

i think maro has been pretty open that he pushed hard for it, just because the un-cards are his baby and he wanted more people to be able to play with them, and it happened late enough in the process it seems not enough thought went into it. he was moping on his blog about it (but yeah, he was aiming at commander and not legacy, but they don't control the commander ruleset so they cannot say 'its legal in commander but not legacy')

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man they are REALLY trying to push energy for MH3 huh?

edit: notably this is a "may" so you can't force your opponent to discard their hand while you have narset or bowmasters or something out

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 14, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Time posted:

I find the scope increase of needing to bring a bunch of outside game pieces besides a literal deck of cards to be annoying, not solely the unset stuff. For me, it was just a piece of the small annoyance at that. I’m glad to see it gone, but I would like for them to be more mindful about it in general. I am sorry to the people who like it though. It stinks when things you like are banned.

In general I don’t find any of this to be that serious and it is funny watching the hot takes pour in

Alpha had tokens and counters. Its never been just a deck.

The key here seems to be that you had to have a deck for mechanics you don’t even use, just in case.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Aphrodite posted:

The key here seems to be that you had to have a deck for mechanics you don’t even use, just in case.

dungeons, stickers, etc mark a large expansion in needing to bring a bunch of stuff that I said I would prefer them to be more mindful about - thats all. im not asking for sweeping changes and i like that they are trying new things

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They should call the next joke set Unplayable but nothing is acorn stamped

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They do need a true format with no bans. Just every Magic card allowed, plus other games' cards too if you're not a coward.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Khanstant posted:

They do need a true format with no bans. Just every Magic card allowed, plus other games' cards too if you're not a coward.

This format already exists, you can play it right now

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't have any better suggestions, but I really dislike the formatting of "X {E}"

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

I don't have any better suggestions, but I really dislike the formatting of "X {E}"

Same, I read it as the normal colorless X plus one energy on first pass

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

ilmucche posted:

Yeah they could just print name sticker goblin as it exists on mtgo. There are already cards that roll d20 in paper aren't there?

What are the percentages like of mind goblin v name sticker? I've seen mind goblin I think three times in paper

the dice rolls on name sticker goblin reflect the
probabilities of the optimal set of sticker sheets, so 30% for 4 mana, 40% for 5 mana, and 30% for 6 mana

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Some guy on the MTGLegacy subreddit had a good post about it (I'll see if I can dig it up). He runs a deck that run MD Phyrexian Metamorph, and he also runs relatively expensive cards that he would love to be able to ritual in. NSG was popular enough in paper that it put him in a position where he had to present a Sticker deck even though he wasn't running any sticker cards, just in case he wanted to clone one. Normally, if someone did that, you'd just call a judge and get them penalized for slow play, but in this case he had a legitimate case for presenting them.

In EDH it's an even bigger problem because almost every tournament deck is running a ton of ways to clone or cast another player's NSG, so you had games where all four players would present sticker decks at the beginning, but there were no copies of any sticker cards in the 400 that were being played in the pod. It's funny that right now EDH is the only format where NSG is legal (for now).

I bet sometime in the next two years we get a 3 cmc Goblin that Rituals in a Commander deck as a make good.

Time posted:

dungeons, stickers, etc mark a large expansion in needing to bring a bunch of stuff that I said I would prefer them to be more mindful about - thats all. im not asking for sweeping changes and i like that they are trying new things

Yeah, 100%. I like that they take big swings and are okay with banning a bunch of stuff when it blows up.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 14, 2024

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Man, I really just exist in my own little Magic backwater, I've never even seen or heard of these sticker cards.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sickening posted:

Imagine spending 3k on your legacy deck only for it to be unplayable. I proxied the city of traitors , but a non-trivial amount of paper players just flipped the table.

it always sucks extremely to have your deck blown up but the resticted part of the sol land manabase isn't losing its value/playability in Legacy anytime soon (at least for reasons the goblin would have prevented)

they should just print a paper name sticker goblin though

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Stickers are a problem in a way dungeons aren't, because if you steal an opponent's creature that ventures into the dungeon, you could just call a judge, or borrow your opponent's dungeon cards or something. The cards are technically just reminders, you could play without them if you had them memorized.

Stickers, you need to own the sheets, and randomize them and present your sticker deck and they have a bunch of other rules.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LGD posted:

it always sucks extremely to have your deck blown up but the resticted part of the sol land manabase isn't losing its value/playability in Legacy anytime soon (at least for reasons the goblin would have prevented)

they should just print a paper name sticker goblin though

While that is true, the difference between goblins and the other sol decks is a big difference in playstyle. I can say that a person that would drive someone to play goblins is a good chance to maybe not drive them to play the other kind of decks.

I can't highlight enough that goblins as a legacy deck has had a cult following for as long as legacy has been a format. Its a very special case.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 14, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

A Moose posted:

Stickers are a problem in a way dungeons aren't, because if you steal an opponent's creature that ventures into the dungeon, you could just call a judge, or borrow your opponent's dungeon cards or something. The cards are technically just reminders, you could play without them if you had them memorized.

Stickers, you need to own the sheets, and randomize them and present your sticker deck and they have a bunch of other rules.

it also could have just been a part of the companion app! We can't have nice things.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wasn't gobbos pre mind goblin just a regular stompy deck?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't gobbos pre mind goblin just a regular stompy deck?

Yes. I feel like its still just a stompy deck with mind goblin, just faster goblins.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sickening posted:

it also could have just been a part of the companion app! We can't have nice things.

it probably is somewhere on there, its just a pain to find

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Man, I really just exist in my own little Magic backwater, I've never even seen or heard of these sticker cards.

Patrick Sullivan is that you???? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Go3yByhL8&t=2668s

Mind Goblin will have an eternal pass from me just because it broke Patrick's brain, and Cedric was just drawing a complete blank the whole time.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 14, 2024

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Jiro posted:

Patrick Sullivan is that you???? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Go3yByhL8&t=2668s

Mind Goblin will have an eternal pass from me just because it broke Patrick's brain, and Cedric was just drawing a complete blank the whole time.

Patrick's incredulity and outright contempt is so loving funny.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

also gavin wants to know if you think they should ban artifact lands from pauper (optionally the bridges)

https://twitter.com/GavinVerhey/status/1790782067615449268

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

No idea where "Pauper people love artifacts lands" comes from, they've always just been the lands that go in the artifact decks because they're synergistic. That sounds like something someone made up to talk themselves out banning artifact lands, Seat of the Synod ain't Brainstorm, no one thinks it's a staple.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

More of a

Than a

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Cactrot posted:

No idea where "Pauper people love artifacts lands" comes from, they've always just been the lands that go in the artifact decks because they're synergistic. That sounds like something someone made up to talk themselves out banning artifact lands, Seat of the Synod ain't Brainstorm, no one thinks it's a staple.
I quoted that post to reply to him that Tron has needed to be banned for a decade so I have no opinion on other Pauper bans until that happens

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I quoted that post to reply to him that Tron has needed to be banned for a decade so I have no opinion on other Pauper bans until that happens

Tron is ~2% of the Pauper meta these days.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Tron has been quite firmly powercrept out of the format as it has gotten much faster.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Boco_T posted:

Tron isn't even good in pauper any more

Glint Hawk needs to catch a ban imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://x.com/jimtsf/status/1790743232055578853?s=46

Stickers are going to remain legal in EDH 🙏

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

https://x.com/jimtsf/status/1790743232055578853?s=46

Stickers are going to remain legal in EDH 🙏

Should have stayed in legacy, but they're cowards

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair, stickers should've always been permanent changes to the card. It was absurd to call them stickers when they barely stuck and were meant to be removed and in practice barely-cling to things you don't want.

It was like they wanted to try the sacrilegious defacing a card as a mechanic and making it technically not-defaced, which is rad, but then couldn't do it and settled for something worse.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do you realize how much of a trainwreck stickers persisting between games would be

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Khanstant posted:

To be fair, stickers should've always been permanent changes to the card. It was absurd to call them stickers when they barely stuck and were meant to be removed and in practice barely-cling to things you don't want.

It was like they wanted to try the sacrilegious defacing a card as a mechanic and making it technically not-defaced, which is rad, but then couldn't do it and settled for something worse.

Sounds like you want a legacy cube (not to be confused with a cube made of legacy cards)

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Khanstant posted:

I get what you're saying, but this would have been unenforceable in practice. You would cycle in ______ Goblins from game to game until the right sticker landed. "Oh yeah this Facetious Goblin came to be three months ago, in Canada. The opponent? You've never met them."

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

MTG stickers scratchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Straight up this would be life changing to open as a twelve year old.