Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s Harley, so let’s not forget that those bikes will be a good $15k more than their competitors that they’re not quite as good as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s Harley, so let’s not forget that those bikes will be a good $15k more than their competitors that they’re not quite as good as

True, but if you're already prepared to drop Diavel money on a bike, Harley tax isn't that much more of a stretch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

True, but if you're already prepared to drop Diavel money on a bike, Harley tax isn't that much more of a stretch. The Z1000 is the nearest cheap alternative really.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Don't forget the Diavel is a power cruiser, not a streetfigher. The newer model even has forward controls by default. I guess it would have lined up against the V-Rod based models, but HD killed them off because purists shat on them for not being a "real" Harley

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

spandexcajun posted:

I'm out of the Harley loop, what engine is that? Looks water cooled. Could be good? Torquey V twins are fun as hell.

https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-to-build-adventure-motorcycles-streetfighters-and-electric-bicycles-following-2019#page-6

Says in the article they're developing two new engine platforms. One is the 500/750cc engine they put in the street bikes currently I think, the other is the new 975/1250cc liquid-cooled engine you see in the concept bikes. If the 975 manages to break 100hp, then I'll be impressed that HD is now only 25 years behind every other manufacturer.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's all a matter of opinion, really. I think the hdADV looks hot, especially with that fairing. Still can't match up to a GS ir Strom, so what's the point.

The muscle bike is too busy in design and doesn't really do it for me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

New motors, 60 degree v twins

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Man that Harley ADV looks pretty interesting...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/pan-america.html
:barf:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/future-vehicles/streetfighter.html
:hmmyes:

Not sure who in HD's design department thought a Road Glide fairing would look good on an adventure bike. The team designing the streetfighter looks like they cribbed the front end from a Diavel, but at least from the forks back it looks pretty good.

I think both of these look great and provided they aren't too slow or terrible they'll sell heaps.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
yeah i think that both of those look pretty good, except for the front fairing on the ADV bike (too chunky) and the headlight on the streetfighter (too low).

V-twins still have the best sound, and despite the shittacular demufflering of most harleys you hear on the road, they actually sound really good when they're stock. a modern liquid-cooled v-twin with a higher redline and a stock h-d exhaust would probably sound spectacular being pushed hard.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

I'm out of the Harley loop, what engine is that? Looks water cooled. Could be good? Torquey V twins are fun as hell.

I assume it's the V-Rod engine.

e: Oops, see below

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 30, 2018

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

New motors, 60 degree v twins

Someone at Rotax is frantically stencilling HD logos over Aprilia ones in an Indiana Jones-sized warehouse somewhere near the Italian border.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

There's a thermal detonator joke in here somewhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i think that both of those look pretty good, except for the front fairing on the ADV bike (too chunky) and the headlight on the streetfighter (too low).

V-twins still have the best sound, and despite the shittacular demufflering of most harleys you hear on the road, they actually sound really good when they're stock. a modern liquid-cooled v-twin with a higher redline and a stock h-d exhaust would probably sound spectacular being pushed hard.

I think that headlight position is rad, reminds me a lot of the MT-01 or, naturally, the better looking sportsters.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That thing is hideous but that puts it in good company with all the best ADV bikes

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, really; I can't remember the last time I saw good-looking ADV bike anyways.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah, really; I can't remember the last time I saw good-looking ADV bike anyways.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Americano Double-shot Vehicles.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

And then that one guy posts a Buell Ulysses, and we laaaaaaaughed!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Hmm...

I feel liks this is a pretty last ditch effort by harley and im not sure this is the right direction. The adv is so ugly my god.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Voltage posted:

Hmm...

I feel liks this is a pretty last ditch effort by harley and im not sure this is the right direction. The adv is so ugly my god.

You couldn't crop the ad?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

No. 6 posted:

You couldn't crop the ad?

is that :thejoke: ?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Voltage posted:

Hmm...

Why yes i do love my thighs extra crispy welldone.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

The exhaust is ridiculous. Two brackets! sweet! Just like the gutters on my house.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ya'll are crazy. Here is an even better angle of this stunning motorcycle. Just look at that headlight cowl and windscreen. It looks beyond awesome, and evokes all sorts of bold emotions.

Looking at the entire bike, the lines are coherant, simple, and rugged. The way the bike tapers off into a skeletonized rear is beautiful. It's mean and stylish at the same time.

Every bike doesn't have to look like a roided out alien, and I definitely prefer a more elegant design.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Finger Prince posted:

And then that one guy posts a Buell Ulysses, and we laaaaaaaughed!

cor,

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Ya'll are crazy. Here is an even better angle of this stunning motorcycle. Just look at that headlight cowl and windscreen. It looks beyond awesome, and evokes all sorts of bold emotions.

Looking at the entire bike, the lines are coherant, simple, and rugged. The way the bike tapers off into a skeletonized rear is beautiful. It's mean and stylish at the same time.

Every bike doesn't have to look like a roided out alien, and I definitely prefer a more elegant design.

it has jowls

it looks like a fish with mumps

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I know it’s not but the broad flat lines on the front make it look eight feet wide.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

It has certain charm.It's like when you shop fro groceries and see an ugly tomato. You take pity on it and buy it because it probably tastes just as good.(granted HD will probably suck, but I am not pre-judging)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

From that able it looks even more like a star wars thing and I love it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
All three of my currently owned bikes are pretty goddamned ugly ('15 R1200GS, '14 Multistrada, '17 FZ-09) so that obviously wouldn't stop me from owning one, but the Pan America sure isn't much to look at. Furthermore, the reaction from the majority of the old goats at ADVRider is largely positive, confirming my initial take that this thing is ugly as gently caress.

some ADVRider dude posted:

another ADVRider dude posted:

"They should've called it the Dirt Glide"

Some of them do at least have a sense of humor.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 31, 2018

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Here is another ugly, but at least obviously functional, HD ADV bike (that's a Sportster motor). Doesn't really count because it's a custom one-off, but it can be done.

http://www.carduccidualsport.com

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

All three of my currently owned bikes are pretty goddamned ugly ('15 R1200GS, '14 Multistrada, '17 FZ-09) so that obviously wouldn't stop me from owning one, but the Pan America sure isn't much to look at. Furthermore, the reaction from the majority of the old goats at ADVRider is largely positive, confirming my initial take that this thing is ugly as gently caress.

Some of them do at least have a sense of humor.

I saw someone refer to it as a Dirt Bagger on Facebook.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*droopy dog voice*

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They should put a sporty motor in that fish-jowl thing and give it a radiator delete.

OF COURSE it has crash bars. It's a Harley, why wouldn't it? I want to see the accessory line designed to go with it.

It won't get those tires, it'll come with some sort of Harley-branded Dunlop.

I'll ride my Uly to the demo day and make sure to rev up the drummer in the lot to make sure people know what they're not getting!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 31, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would they put in a 40hp motor heavier than the earth's core?

I mean usually the answer is cause they're Harley but this time they're clearly trying to not do the same poo poo all over again.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

OF COURSE it has crash bars. It's a Harley, why wouldn't it? I want to see the accessory line designed to go with it.

Shield-and-bar branded all leather ADV gear would be entertaining, but I could actually see them doing a private label version of Klim stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Because it's more like a 100hp motor from the factory if you light the wick? And it can't be that heavy. Somehow, using 15 year old engineering techniques and materials, they put a sporty engine in an adventure bike that is lighter still than most other adventure bikes out now. I guess their current engineering team is 100% muggles.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 31, 2018