Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

TBF I wouldn't mind another Devil Survivor so that would have been an acceptable SMTxFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Only if they get the Devil Survivor art guy to do the designs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I've got to imagine that a factor in TMS' tepid sales is simply not being what it was announced as, right?

there also might not be as big an overlap in 'fe fans' 'smt fans' and 'people who think idol stuff makes for interesting plots' than atlus and nintendo were expecting

also a straight crossover would've been boring as hell, neither franchise has main characters w/strong personalites or character quirks and having those bounce off of the other franchise's characters are the most fun parts of crossovers

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

the FE and SMT characters have no common ground tho. there's no interesting crossover elements you can do there, it's just fanficcy 'hi hector' 'hi raidou kuzonaha'

Flynn's group and SMT IV absolutely connects to FE, the first 3 hours of the game are set in a medieval castle.

Have them meet some Awakening people and go from there

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
they could have combined face-petting and s.links . . . . . . . .

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MotU posted:

they could have combined face-petting and s.links . . . . . . . .

But that would just be s links.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What about face melting?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Flynn's group and SMT IV absolutely connects to FE, the first 3 hours of the game are set in a medieval castle.

Have them meet some Awakening people and go from there

3 hours of a 50 hour game from a 20 year old series isn't exactly a whole lot to build a crossover on

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like Devil Survivor has much of a notable plot, anyway (at least not one worth paying attention to). The important thing for those games is that they're fun to play and I'm sure a DS-like SMT/FE game could also be fun.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

HellCopter posted:

New Tarot designs!? That means the full set I got from Ultimax and Q is powerless.

They look rad, hope they sell them at some point too.

The look like the classic rider deck

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

A straight cross over would have been pretty lame, but "Hi I'm Generic Everyman (Harem Anime Version), and this is Chrom, my Persona!" isn't all that much better than "Hi I'm Hector" "Hi Hector I'm Raidou!".

Being a Wii U game didn't help, and while it was neat that they tried to go way out of the box, it doesn't seem to really be what people want out of Fire Emblem. It probably would have been more successful if Kozaki had been the character artist, if we're being honest.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is a dumb complaint for the SMT thread isn't it? You don't call it Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne: MANIAC EDITION you just refer to it as Nocturne, or SMT: Nocturne at most.

It's just TMS #FE. Or just #FE

Excuse me but it's called "Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne: MANIAC EDITION featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series"
Now I need to go back to playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

cdyoung posted:

The look like the classic rider deck

I am kind of surprised at how the tarot cards became more classic given the more stylized direction of the rest of the game.
They're not bad though, although I don't really like the huge size and style of the text. Even though I love the typeface design of the rest of the game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
edit: double post

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The SMT title hasn't been used since Persona 4, so they actually dropped it with Persona 3 Portable. Persona 1 and 2 didn't have the label either, so 3, FES, and 4 were the only games with it.

e: oh you edited that out

e: oh, I was wrong, all the PSP versions have it too, including P3P.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 16, 2016

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

TurnipFritter posted:

A straight cross over would have been pretty lame, but "Hi I'm Generic Everyman (Harem Anime Version), and this is Chrom, my Persona!" isn't all that much better than "Hi I'm Hector" "Hi Hector I'm Raidou!".

Being a Wii U game didn't help, and while it was neat that they tried to go way out of the box, it doesn't seem to really be what people want out of Fire Emblem. It probably would have been more successful if Kozaki had been the character artist, if we're being honest.

I sort of agree and, having chewed through most of SMT IV in the past two months, would've preferred a straight up SMT WIIU game, TMS still looks ludicrous enough that I'll probably enjoy it and I have very little attachment to the FE franchise (I'll probably enjoy it I just haven't picked it up yet).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

the FE and SMT characters have no common ground tho. there's no interesting crossover elements you can do there, it's just fanficcy 'hi hector' 'hi raidou kuzonaha'

I bet you're the kind of person who hates Super Robot Wars too.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MrAristocrates posted:

The SMT title hasn't been used since Persona 4, so they actually dropped it with Persona 3 Portable. Persona 1 and 2 didn't have the label either, so 3, FES, and 4 were the only games with it.

e: oh you edited that out

e: oh, I was wrong, all the PSP versions have it too, including P3P.

I edited it out because I hit quote instead of reply and didn't feel like fixing it.

Yeah I'm aware about Persona 1 and 2, though of course Persona 1 had its own "Revelations" title which was used in a whole one other game.
They looked fine on the box art but they always looked awkward in store listings and so on.
And I am probably making it up but I swear talking to a guy in Gamestop back in 2006 like,
"Hi I would like to order Persona 3" "sorry I can't find that" "Sorry I mean shin megami tensei persona 3" "oh there it is"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TurnipFritter posted:

The artist for TMS is one of the more popular artists in Japan. toi8 is really loving good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I bet you're the kind of person who hates Super Robot Wars too.
Actually I love super robot wars precisely because there is common ground that can be used to make interesting crossover plots.

TurnipFritter posted:

It probably would have been more successful if Kozaki had been the character artist, if we're being honest.
uh, no. the artist for #FE is one of the most successful artists in Japan. Pretty much every LN or anime he does designs for does really well.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I tuned into the #FE Stream just in time to see the people showing them off claim the game had "something for everyone" two times within a couple minutes. I felt bad for them.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
You mean to say a colorful jpop filled super anime jrpg doesn't appeal to everyone?

Edit:
Actual question: did Atlus showcase TMS at all at E3?

And I know it's rated mature, but I'm sorta surprised Nintendo didn't mention SMTIVA at all.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 17, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SylvainMustach posted:

You mean to say a colorful jpop filled super anime jrpg doesn't appeal to everyone?

Edit:

And I know it's rated mature, but I'm sorta surprised Nintendo didn't mention SMTIVA at all.

I don't know if they did, but Nintendo had it on their Treehouse stream and stage time yesterday.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

SylvainMustach posted:

Edit:

Atlus was right next to Nintendo, but they didn't show it off at all. They had... King of Fighters, SMT4:A, 7th Dragon, and multiple stations with a new Project Diva. I think that's everything...

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't know if they did, but Nintendo had it on their Treehouse stream and stage time yesterday.

Yeah I caught that. I don't think it sold it to anyone on the fence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Atlus also had an official sub of the latest P5 trailer and a bit of new footage.

BISHOUJO KAITO is Beauty Thief.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

SectumSempra posted:

been a long road guys. we're getting there

This is frustrating to see. :(

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Fe#'s art is decent but man, the character designs are boring as hell. The only good designs are the blonde girl, the little girl's battle form and BARRY GOODMAN.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

dante had nothing to do with nocturne and that turned out fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

dante had nothing to do with nocturne and that turned out fine
dante was a side character and also actually did fit into the world/setting. he's a demon hunter in a modern-day setting. SMT is about demons in a modern day setting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

There are "monsters" in many FE games, just convert those to Demons, have the SMT characters be in the vaguely medieval past due to amala network shenanigans and there you go. Really, making a crossover work is pretty easy. Look at stuff like Project X Zone.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also both series have their own multiverses so it wouldn't be a stretch in that regard.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Infinity Gaia posted:

There are "monsters" in many FE games, just convert those to Demons, have the SMT characters be in the vaguely medieval past due to amala network shenanigans and there you go. Really, making a crossover work is pretty easy. Look at stuff like Project X Zone.

Is... is this a serious post?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

project x zone didnt work tbh

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Do you come from the alternate universe where PXZ is a good game?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

While I agree that SMT and FE have very little common ground to work with, SMT is already a crossover of fundamentally incompatible mythologies so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include Raidou, the Demifiend and maybe some other dudes in there. Really, the biggest issue is that most of the MCs are silent so you'd have to resort to secondary characters most of which would hate each other because they're Law or Chaos aligned.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Junpei Hyde posted:

Do you come from the alternate universe where PXZ is a good game?

I am the kind of person that, while believing PxZ is a bad game overall, thinks that it is good as a crossover.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Infinity Gaia posted:

I am the kind of person that, while believing PxZ is a bad game overall, thinks that it is good as a crossover.

Ah, it's refreshing to see someone just admit to being very dumb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PxZ works in the sense that I've seen a few funny videos of characters swapping game references, but even that doesn't work with just two IPs where a bunch of the characters are silent avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah PxZ is mostly just a case of volume, and even then the 'good crossover elements' are mostly just people tossing video game references at each other.