Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Noah Bradley posted a big version on imgur/reddit:

drat i saw the art before the card and i was really hoping this would be a mirari or analogue thereof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

drat i saw the art before the card and i was really hoping this would be a mirari or analogue thereof

If you think about it, it is pretty much the mirari. It gives you whatever you wish for, so long as what you wish for is 1 colored mana

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We get it, you væpe.

But seriously they're pushing this invention narrative a little too obviously.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

We get it, you væpe.

But seriously they're pushing this invention narrative a little too obviously.

I guess their narrative should have been more....inventive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

Free wallpaper!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

:swoon:

New desktop background!

Also pauper affinity getting blinged out a bit more is nice.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zoness posted:

Regardless of the century, plane, or species, developing artificers never fail to invent the mirari

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I must not have been paying attention when Engineered Explosives went to $55.

Sigma-X posted:

Sometimes dredge mulls badly or casts a conflagrate to dump a single dredger and whiffs on the dredge?

Still a great card and pretty much strictly better than tormenting voice in that deck.

I've never seen a Modern Dredge deck that played Voice to begin with, probably because getting it Remanded sucks. (And yes you want your dredge cards in the GY, but the goal isn't just depositing them there and doing nothing.) Maybe getting three draws is enough upside to make it worth it?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 14, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Guy just loves weaponcraft.
I've never seen a Modern Dredge deck that played Voice to begin with,
[/quote]
56% 2x Tormenting Voice

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I really want an enthusiast cycle and a card that interacts with them called Enthusiast Enthusiast.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Pros have meaningless argument because some pros friend didn't get into worlds:

Paulo being too tone-deaf to realize he's making a semantic argument that makes him look obnoxious. FWIW I think BBD's argument at least has some merit anyways - he's saying that the performance of the "special invites" shows that basing invites purely on Pro Points isn't necessarily the be-all end-all of ensuring that Worlds players are the absolute best pool of players.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 14, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Wrt the midrange discussion, I don't think that moving most of the game toward (not all the way to) a single archetype ADDS anything. Midrange has been around, big creatures have been around, but beefing those things up to be the best things on Magic means losing whole archetypes in exchange for more variations on one in particular.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Angry Grimace posted:

Paulo being too tone-deaf to realize he's making a semantic argument that makes him look obnoxious. FWIW I think BBD's argument at least has some merit anyways - he's saying that the performance of the "special invites" shows that basing invites purely on Pro Points isn't necessarily the be-all end-all of ensuring that Worlds players are the absolute best pool of players.

I love the pros downplaying the significance of these invites. One went to the best performing GP player of the year, the other two went to people who were the best at a given format AT THE PRO TOUR. All three of those invites are difficult to achieve, just ask Tomoharu Saito.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You'd think they'd be talking about actual poo poo that matters. Like how sick the synergy of Smuggler's Copter in Norin the Wary EDH is.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Brownhat posted:

I love the pros downplaying the significance of these invites. One went to the best performing GP player of the year, the other two went to people who were the best at a given format AT THE PRO TOUR. All three of those invites are difficult to achieve, just ask Tomoharu Saito.

Brad Nelson posted:

But Hayne in isn't better for the game. It just pushes entitlement. He could have worked harder.

He's literally complaining that this guy didn't grind as much as him.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think PV makes a reasonable point that's muddled in the language.

BBD is trying to say that "I did well as the GP Master so this proves that GP Master is a valid spot"

from a logical standpoint this statement is nonsense.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think since he won whatever slot he occupied is pretty justified

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

BBD is trying to say that "I did well as the GP Master so this proves that GP Master is a valid spot"

But Ben Stark's original point was that basing it on Pro Points only is what would ensure the best field of players, which is questionable at best. In that sense I think BBD's retort that "well I won, didn't I?" makes at least some sense. The complaint looks really dumb when supported by a person who has a standing invite to every Pro Tour in perpetuity based on performances that happened literally a decade ago. (And yes I am aware PV is still on top of his game, but if he can argue semantics, it would seem to be fair game).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the issue is that BBD is an instance of a "GP master" who had what it took in terms of skill and luck to come out on top and make the field competitive

this doesn't speak anything to the class of players that could be "GP Masters" as a whole.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Zoness posted:

How so?

Logically speaking, the only sensical complaint about having "lesser" players at Worlds is that you get lower quality play from the people who got in that way. His win proves that is not the case. Being good at Grand Prixes is a different style of being good at magic same as winning the MTGO championship is. At a Grand Prix your more likely to run into rogue brews, have to play multiple formats, and the overall experience is expensive and exhaustive. MTGO you have to play at a lot faster pace.

Here's a secret. Magic is a highly luck based game, and there's a reason it's called grinding (cause you can be on the best deck and make the optimum plays and still lose), so many pros get caught cheating, and there's an old boys network of friends who run things.

Edit:

Zoness posted:

the issue is that BBD is an instance of a "GP master" who had what it took in terms of skill and luck to come out on top and make the field competitive

this doesn't speak anything to the class of players that could be "GP Masters" as a whole.

Do we have data on how past GP Masters have done in Worlds?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
BBD doing well proves that BBD is a good player, not that anyone who spikes GPs can stand toe to toe at that level, which is what the slot means.

anglachel posted:

Do we have data on how past GP Masters have done in Worlds?

No because it is a new slot and the debate is on the a priori virtues of having had such a slot, which, I think the format experiment and broadcast storyline reasons are good enough, but I can see some pros being dissatisfied with this.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 14, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

BBD doing well proves that BBD is a good player, not that anyone who spikes GPs can stand toe to toe at that level, which is what the slot means.

sooooooooo we should keep the slot around and see what the data says, good idea zoness, guess we'll pick up this convo in 10 years

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

All I read in that convo is Ben Stark looking like a loving dick.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

sooooooooo we should keep the slot around and see what the data says, good idea zoness, guess we'll pick up this convo in 10 years

well sure BBD's poor logic aside the slot is fine

like MOCS champion slots in previous world champs by large did awfully, but that slot was good for making the MOCS actually worth something.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Cernunnos posted:

He's literally complaining that this guy didn't grind as much as him.

He's telling the people complaining that if you want to make it to Worlds based on pro points, then get enough pro points to make it to worlds. Otherwise get over the fact that there are slots not based on pro points.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

well sure BBD's poor logic aside the slot is fine

like MOCS champion slots in previous world champs by large did awfully, but that slot was good for making the MOCS actually worth something.

no zoness, i wanted to get drunk and argue about this ultimately meaningless thing, dammit, stop agreeing with me

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Trying to reduce the argument to "logic" is the kind of shitlord nerd nonsense I'd expect from people who make the exceptionally poor decision to play Magic as a career. You could just as easily argue Hayne isn't deserving over BBD because he didn't win GP Master. Because its dumb to try and quantify how qualifying through any particular method is "more deserving" unless your argument has to do with field quality, in which case BBD has a valid point.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Trying to reduce the argument to "logic" is the kind of shitlord nerd nonsense I'd expect from people who make the exceptionally poor decision to play Magic as a career. You could just as easily argue Hayne isn't deserving over BBD because he didn't win GP Master. Because its dumb to try and quantify how qualifying through any particular method is "more deserving" unless your argument has to do with field quality, in which case BBD has a valid point.

how does bbd (one instance of this) winning mean anyone who spikes gps deserves the slot and is definitely a player on caliber with everyone else, aside from wotc mandating it, which is fine

"reduce to "logic"" :ironicat:

anecdotal examples are exactly the worst kind of reasoning

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

mandatory lesbian posted:

They have already removed the GP Master invite for the next World Championship.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/pro-tour-eldritch-moon-organized-play-announcement-world-championship-pro-tour-2016-08-02

The 24 invites will be given to:

4 Pro Tour Champions
1 Magic Online Champion
1 Standard Master
1 Draft Master
4 Regional Champions
13 Top-Ranked Players

Applebees fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 14, 2016

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I like to argue about the pro tour while organizing a rare redraft of cards on the reserve list then I map some boxes and sell the rest of the packs on ebay. After I'm done I respond to a Mcmagic post.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

people are mad about ladies night and called it sexist??? lmao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

awesomebrah posted:

After I'm done I respond to a Mcmagic post.

This makes you the monster.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

This card may get ridiculous. Especially at common.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

how does bbd (one instance of this) winning mean anyone who spikes gps deserves the slot and is definitely a player on caliber with everyone else, aside from wotc mandating it, which is fine

"reduce to "logic"" :ironicat:

anecdotal examples are exactly the worst kind of reasoning
The point is that it's a waste of time trying to determine which of the 8 different ways to qualify for Worlds is more "deserving" unless you're making an argument about field quality in which case BBD winning is very relevant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the real problem is that these magic pros who are arguing "logic" are really arguing their feelings based on how this affects them personally, or their friends

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

There are a fair number of Cheerios in Standard right now, as well as this bad boy:

Might be on to something...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

It's about Ethics in Card Games Journalism.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

rabidsquid posted:

link?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Logicblade posted:

There are a fair number of Cheerios in Standard right now, as well as this bad boy:

Might be on to something...

I count two outside of Kaladesh: Bone Saw, Cathar's Shield. Spidersilk Net will rotate out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah I thought spidersilk net was sticking around. Maybe not quite a critical mass yet, but there are still some cheap artifacts laying around you can use, even if you can't quite wombo combo off. The Black puzzleknot draws a card on etb, the recently spoiled Foundry Inspector makes your artifacts one less to cast...

• Locked thread