Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

As always for Miko Miyazaki, "the difference is I'm right"
:hmmyes:

God, that page was eleven years ago. It's wild, looking back that far. Half the thread regulars hadn't even registered yet. I was freshly 18, and still lurking in the LP subforum and being sad whenever the paywall went up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

It's so long ago that I actually can't remember when I started reading OOTS. I feel a bit jealous of users who can pinpoint the exact storyline/page when they jumped in. But for me, it somehow feels like I've been following OOTS for as long as I can remember, even though I know that wasn't the case.

Judging by my first posts in this thread - where, ahaha, I hilariously predict V's soul splice will end as soon as the dragon is dead - and the plot points I remember following, I think I came on board during Miko Madness, but who knows.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I caught up during the "Elan is kidnapped by bandits" plot. A long, long, long time ago.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I think I was first introduced to the strip when it was on the page where Roy was finally resurrected.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At some point someone linked to 322 and that caught my attention. I read the rest of book three, started from the beginning, and then went to the current strip. That was around 607, but I don't remember the number exactly.

I had seen the strip before, but for whatever reason it didn't catch my attention.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My first exposure to oots was a friend who was of the quote-every-line-of-Monty-python type doing the same thing with oots strips.

Specifically "stop oppressing my culture you ethnocentric bitch" line.

Years later I started reading it myself, which must have put me sometime around battle of azure city

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
so the order of the stick is directly responsible for injecting one million gold pieces into the goblin economy; what is redcloak complaining about

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

As always for Miko Miyazaki, "the difference is I'm right"

Some people have suggested that it's more that Miko learned the wrong lesson from that incident, namely that it's OK to turn your sword against your boss if you think he's wrong.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Silver2195 posted:

Some people have suggested that it's more that Miko learned the wrong lesson from that incident, namely that it's OK to turn your sword against your boss if you think he's wrong.

:guillotine: Accurate.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Silver2195 posted:

:hmmyes:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

That was certainly heavy suggested by her conversation with O'Chul, but it's very obvious that the issue wasn't just her boss being wrong, but specifically that he had ordained himself as the sole arbiter of the will of the gods and what is Good, and refused to submit to any other authority or logic. Miko does not apply this lesson to herself because in her view she is right and he was wrong and his problem was being wrong, not thinking he was right.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 14, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ultrafilter posted:

At some point someone linked to 322 and that caught my attention. I read the rest of book three, started from the beginning, and then went to the current strip. That was around 607, but I don't remember the number exactly.

I had seen the strip before, but for whatever reason it didn't catch my attention.

I'm calling it now: The Thing In The Dark is a terrible ducksnake.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't even think that's the wrong lesson. If Shojo had actually been guilty of what she accused him of then executing him on the spot wasn't the worst thing to do. The issue was that she did it based on spurious reasoning and happened to be wildly wrong about everything.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm calling it now: The Thing In The Dark is a terrible ducksnake.

Calling it now: The MitD is literally Rich Burlew himself, self-inserted into his own work of fiction.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cool posted:

I don't even think that's the wrong lesson. If Shojo had actually been guilty of what she accused him of then executing him on the spot wasn't the worst thing to do. The issue was that she did it based on spurious reasoning and happened to be wildly wrong about everything.

I can't say I agree that executing an unarmed man who had just surrendered to an authority who was clearly not in on his scheme and wanted to investigate and punish him would have been a good thing to do, even if Shojo had in fact done more of the evil she accused him of.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I can't say I agree that executing an unarmed man who had just surrendered to an authority who was clearly not in on his scheme and wanted to investigate and punish him would have been a good thing to do, even if Shojo had in fact done more of the evil she accused him of.

I think part of the schemes she concocted was that he had control of the courts and would be able to successfully deflect any investigations. If everything she'd said had been true I sort of see it being similar to Mace Windu trying to execute Palpatine.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Colonel Cool posted:

I think part of the schemes she concocted was that he had control of the courts and would be able to successfully deflect any investigations. If everything she'd said had been true I sort of see it being similar to Mace Windu trying to execute Palpatine.

Which in itself was wrong

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

oobey posted:

Calling it now: The MitD is literally Rich Burlew himself, self-inserted into his own work of fiction.

MitD is revealed as Elminster, the GitP forums promptly give up and disband as a community

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cool posted:

More like trying to Impeach Trump, but since he controlled the Senate, it fizzled out.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

More like trying to Impeach Trump, but since he controlled the Senate, it fizzled out.

I don't really think they're the same thing. As a reminder Miko thought:

1) He's been deliberately sabotaging the military in order to leave the city vulnerable.
2) He's working with a lich and an army of hobgoblins to invade and conquer the city.
3) He's plotting to eliminate his political rivals so he can rule the city unopposed with an army of monsters to enforce his will.
4) He's conspiring to destroy the paladin order.
5) He has the courts rigged to work in his favour and will probably be able to escape judgement and continue doing all these things.

The issue is she's batshit crazy and none of this is true. But if it was true and she had actual solid evidence to support it then I don't think killing him before he can do any more to undermine the city that's about to face an existential crisis is a totally unreasonable thing to do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, it's reasonable but for SOME REASON Miko's train of thought only stopped in Smite Evil Town so

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Though if you think about it in the long run she was doing the greater good because if Redcloak had died there everyone would be screwed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

Though if you think about it in the long run she was doing the greater good because if Redcloak had died there everyone would be screwed.

So the gods did have a purpose for her. Dang that's brutal.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't see why. With three Gates sealed, the harsh deadline of reality getting scrapped is pushed back by a lot. The mantle can be passed along to some other goblin. Down both the arcane and divine casters capable of casting 9th level spells, the Dark Ones plan is set way back. That makes whoever picks up the mantle much more likely to negotiate when a rep of the other pantheons approaches.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Colonel Cool posted:

1) He's been deliberately sabotaging the military in order to leave the city vulnerable.
2) He's working with a lich and an army of hobgoblins to invade and conquer the city.
3) He's plotting to eliminate his political rivals so he can rule the city unopposed with an army of monsters to enforce his will.
5) He has the courts rigged to work in his favour and will probably be able to escape judgement and continue doing all these things.

The issue is she's batshit crazy and none of this is true. But if it was true and she had actual solid evidence to support it then I don't think killing him before he can do any more to undermine the city that's about to face an existential crisis is a totally unreasonable thing to do.

In 2020 those batshit theories seem a lot more reasonable.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cool posted:

Yeah. Not gonna continue along the politics line, but I think most people here are thinking the same things, as they read your list.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

Years before that, rich wrote a post on the website about good rpg writing. He's taken that whole section down now so I'm going on memory

Huh. I wonder why.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Acerbatus posted:

Huh. I wonder why.

Didn't he legit lose the right to his setting because he entered it into a WotC contest?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Bee posted:

Didn't he legit lose the right to his setting because he entered it into a WotC contest?

That was a specific setting he made specifically for that contest and probably unrelated to anything else.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Speaking of tables, one little touch I noticed is that the table that was shaped was also literally smashed to pieces.

Probably symbolic, more than anything, that peace won't be an option.

nice catch from the oots forums

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

oobey posted:

It's so long ago that I actually can't remember when I started reading OOTS. I feel a bit jealous of users who can pinpoint the exact storyline/page when they jumped in. But for me, it somehow feels like I've been following OOTS for as long as I can remember, even though I know that wasn't the case.

Judging by my first posts in this thread - where, ahaha, I hilariously predict V's soul splice will end as soon as the dragon is dead - and the plot points I remember following, I think I came on board during Miko Madness, but who knows.

Strip #652 is where I joined in. I vividly remember that because the link I followed to the site redirected to what was at the time the most recent strip and so I spent most of my first read through wondering when that weird goth mage was going to show up. :v:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading for at least six or seven years but I can't remember when i started, especially since it took me a long time to get current.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've been reading for at least six or seven years but I can't remember when i started, especially since it took me a long time to get current.

I think I started in the first few strips, amazingly - I'm fairly sure I remember them encountering Nale.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't remember for sure, but I think I might have started sometime around when Rich did the guest strip for 8-Bit Theater.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've been reading since the dungeon crawling fools storyline, so like pre-page 100. I was both a DnD nerd and a webcomic nerd at the time so I caught it nice and early. I distinctly remember checking for new comics twice a day during Christmas break because the group was fighting a chimera. That was more than half my lifetime ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I caught up the first time in the next forest.i followed the link from Nodwick my sophomore year of highschool

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't remember for sure, but I think I might have started sometime around when Rich did the guest strip for 8-Bit Theater.
:hmmyes: I think I started during the Evilgasm Mini-Hiatus, which would put me firmly in "started in 2005", about a year after the 8BT guest strip.

Edit: Decided to look at some of my old posts in this thread (my first was in 2011, during the battle in the Draketooth Pyramid)

PMush Perfect posted:

I doubt he'd give it to her if she couldn't. Being "the one for stealth" implies she took a couple levels in Rogue, which means Use Magic Device is a class skill.
God, I used to be a grog.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 15, 2020

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wait the 8-bit guest strips were in 2004? Jesus Christ I've been following this comic for more then half my life

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I started following while they were looking for the starmetal.

Eifert Posting posted:

Well after Belkar's most recent speech I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he dies in 5-10 strips.

With Belkar dies my interest in this webcomic.

Posted May of 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I started reading when the most recent comic was #859, and then caught up by #863, which was when the thumb hiatus happened. That was 8 years ago.