Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

If you look you'll see that 757 is ten more than 747.

It's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm genuinely at a loss here as to what JEB~ thinks his path to victory is. Like, "wait for Trump to collapse then make move" isn't even an angle because he's missing out on the important part: shut up while he implodes. (Plus he's not imploding)

I'm seriously wondering what his end game is here.

We're in terra incognita with Trump's campaign - he could fizzle out next month or win the nomination and neither would surprise me. Jeb has a very concrete problem in front of him though, namely that he and Walker were extremely unimpressive in the last debate. Another performance like that to show it wasn't just a bad night should be enough to send the establishment money running for Rubio.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

rear end cobra posted:

I think you'll find that he's the golden sun in the middle of everything

L'Etat, c'est Trump

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sir Tonk posted:

But his is a 757-200, which equals 557. What a loser.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

rear end cobra posted:

I think you'll find that he's the golden sun in the middle of everything

Praise Lord President Trump

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

taqueso posted:

But his is a 757-200, which equals 557. What a loser.

His plane is a command track?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

A 767 is ten more than that and a widebody. :colbert:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm an old & stiff boomer who ended up voting for Hillary in 2008 because her healthcare platform was a tad to the left of Obama's and yet I'm totally in the bag for Bernie now, as are many of my fellow old & stiff boomers.

That's impossible. Baby boomers, especially women, are much like black people in that they don't respond to charisma, strength, honesty and authenticity. Also, due to your alien thought patterns you are unable to comprehend policy platforms and know what's good for you. See, I know this because I'm a young white male. We know these things based off of very important factors, such as favorability metrics.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

That's impossible. Baby boomers, especially women, are much like black people in that they don't respond to charisma, strength, honesty and authenticity. Also, due to your alien thought patterns you are unable to comprehend policy platforms and know what's good for you. See, I know this because I'm a young white male. We know these things based off of very important factors, such as favorability metrics.

This is unironically going to be Bernie supporters explanation for why he loses, isn't it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Patter Song posted:

Congratulations to Dr. Ben Carson for making his way into double digits in the RCP average and taking second place!
That is definitely a steady decline in both Jeb! and Walker's poll numbers. Jeb! peaked a little higher and a little earlier, but after their respective high points it's still been a fairly steady decline for both of them.

One other interesting thing is that neither Jeb! or Walker increased when The Donald's poll numbers dipped slightly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think a lot of boomers back Bernie because of his platform, which makes them feel young again.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It's so satisfying to watch Jeb? and Walker's numbers completely collapse. I think Trump will probably not be the nominee, but at this point I can't imagine who could be. They're all terrible in their own unique way.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kalman posted:

This is unironically going to be Bernie supporters explanation for why he loses, isn't it.

I wouldn't know about that. I'm guessing no.

What I do know is it is unironically the deconstructed argument that many people in this thread are making to defend their smug circlejerk groupthink opinions they're trying to pass off as critical thought.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 28, 2015

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

It's so satisfying to watch Jeb? and Walker's numbers completely collapse. I think Trump will probably not be the nominee, but at this point I can't imagine who could be. They're all terrible in their own unique way.

Rubio hasn't been mauled yet. Although any hope of any Republican get more than 10% of the Hispanic vote has been well buggered by Trump.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I wouldn't know about. I'm guessing no.

What I do know is it is unironically the deconstructed argument that many people in this thread are making to defend their smug circlejerk groupthink opinions they're trying to pass off as critical thought.

It's not, though. The idea that African-Americans and women might actually prefer Hillary to Bernie is, but many Sanderistas don't seem to be able to handle the idea that their waifu might not be everyone's first choice.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I think a lot of boomers back Bernie because of his platform, which makes them feel young again.

Hell, his picture makes me feel young again.

One thing you gotta give to liberal boomers: We remember a time when most Dems actually stood for something, weren't as beholden to campaign donors, and listened to their constituents and what their constituents wanted. Dem members of Congress were a lot more liberal on kitchen-table issues than they are today.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

One thing you gotta give to liberal boomers: We remember a time when most Dems actually stood for something, weren't as beholden to campaign donors, and listened to their constituents and what their constituents wanted. Dem members of Congress were a lot more liberal on kitchen-table issues than they are today.

There were a few older people at our local Bernie rally that said almost exactly this kind of thing. One guy was practically in tears about it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Kalman posted:

It's not, though. The idea that African-Americans and women might actually prefer Hillary to Bernie is, but many Sanderistas don't seem to be able to handle the idea that their waifu might not be everyone's first choice.

I can't speak for all Sanderistas, but the idea I don't like is that women/African Americans are both monolithic and already have their minds made up.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

OneTwentySix posted:

How do you live with yourself when Trump and Carson are polling higher than you are?

Jeb Bush realizes that it is August and the polls don't matter yet. His massive field organization, money and super PAC money will take care of the rest until primaries. None of which Trump has.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dahbadu posted:

lol. I refuse to believe you've misconstrued what I've said to this extent.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Willa Rogers posted:

lol are u loving serious

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm an old & stiff boomer **********************
**********some of the Bernie meetups in my neck of the woods look like an AARP meeting

This endorsement is the best evidence I've seen yet of why Bernie's campaign should go down in flames.

Dahbadu posted:

I wouldn't know about that. I'm guessing no.

Critical thought has nothing to do with Presidential politics. It's circlejerk groupthink that actually gets people elected.

Willa Rogers posted:

You are remembering a time in Presidential politics in this country that never existed. Maybe for Rep or Senator, but that time has never existed in Presidential politics.
EDIT: You are simply mis-remembering. That time never even existed in Congressional politics because the time you are talking about is when the Democratic party was lead by the racist poo poo bags that are Republicans today.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 28, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

RBC posted:

lol are u loving serious

She's right if you're talking economics and diplomacy. Democrats used to be much more pro-union, protectionist, and anti-war.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Honestly, given that there's evidence that Hillary Clinton is actually slightly to the left of the median Democratic voter the real surprise is that nobody's actually been able to make any inroads on her right.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

HappyHippo posted:

I'm honestly starting to think Donald Trump could end up going all the way and get the nomination. Carson is the "flavor of the month" right now, but he's a doctor, not a real politician and he's probably not gonna last. Cruz is Trump-Lite, Fiorina is worth -3 billion dollars, and everybody else is below 5%.

Rubio is probably the most likely to start getting traction, but there's an issue:

bpower posted:

Rubio hasn't been mauled yet. Although any hope of any Republican get more than 10% of the Hispanic vote has been well buggered by Trump.
I like how you put this, "Rubio hasn't been mauled yet."

If Rubio starts pulling ahead, he's gonna get attacked by The Donald just like happened to Jeb!, assuming that Rubio doesn't do a self-tank like Jeb! has.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Yep, Jeb's people probably have the most experience in terms of political campaigning compared to everyone else in the field. They know it's all about long-term planning, and they are better prepped for it than anyone else.

You can tell they were planning to sit on their asses while Trump and co fought it out amongst each other and emerge unscathed. Then the Trump Train missed every stop and now Jeb is flailing around trying to figure out an appropriate response.

He can go low-key and risk just being knocked out by lack of trying, or go all in and risk it all before the real battle even starts. I think they are trying something in the middle and luckily Jeb is so bad at speaking those comments gently caress him over anyway.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm starting to think, looking back, that one of the things that caused Democrats to get away from this is losing their vantage as the party of a strong national defense. Republicans were isolationist going into World War II, it was a Democratic administration that led the country through that war. It was Democrats that managed the bulk of Vietnam, though that didn't go nearly as well. Carter was a great guy, but in a way he lost this advantage for the Democrats, paving the way for Reagan. And they haven't had it since.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zikan posted:

Hillary's favorables soared during that whole ordeal, an opponent bringing it up is probably the best way to consolidate the women's vote around Hillary and would be really dumb move.

Which is why I fully expect at least two Republican campaign ads based around it during the general election.

Oh no no one would ever bring it up, that'd look real dumb and out of line, probably even for Trump (PBUH).

Anyway was just wondering. I do know that women ran to Obama over a fellow woman when it got down to it, good thing for Hilary there's no studly and charismatic guy in the democratic race right now I guess.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Mitt Romney posted:

Jeb Bush realizes that it is August and the polls don't matter yet. His massive field organization, money and super PAC money will take care of the rest until primaries. None of which Trump has.

Money, something a Donald Trump campaign will lack. OK, then, Mittens.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

I can't speak for all Sanderistas, but the idea I don't like is that women/African Americans are both monolithic and already have their minds made up.

They aren't and they don't. Hell, there are black people who vote Republican! (Probably about as many as will vote for Bernie in the primaries.)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

radical meme posted:

This endorsement is the best evidence I've seen yet of why Bernie's campaign should go down in flames.

Why did you cut off the sentence of mine that you were quoting? Don't you want to see millennials go down in flames, too?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Patter Song posted:

Money, something a Donald Trump campaign will lack. OK, then, Mittens.

Trump has tons of money but I don't think even he would spend a overly significant portion of it on his campaign. Jeb has superpacs funded by multiple people richer than Trump is.

Unless of course, not spending all his money is considered a sign of weakness... something that he is physically incapable of showing.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kalman posted:

Even if he ends up not being their first choice, he'll end up being a close enough second so it won't matter. Which is what I've been saying. Don't put words in my mouth.

My worry with Bernie is him having some type of Dean scream moment, or a series of successful negative mainstream media campaigns mounted against him (this could include a soft-blacklisting of positive Bernie coverage). In other words, the media and establishment knives coming out for him. If that doesn't happen, and things keep on going the way they're going, I think he can pull it off.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

Why did you cut off the sentence of mine that you were quoting? Don't you want to see millennials go down in flames, too?

Millennials are not going to vote for Bernie in the general election. Old, white, white haired, commie, New England Jew is never going to pull the votes of young people in this country.

edit: even if he promised them free legal weed and cancel all student debt he wouldn't get their vote in the general.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Logikv9 posted:

Trump has tons of money but I don't think even he would spend a overly significant portion of it on his campaign. Jeb has superpacs funded by multiple people richer than Trump is.

Unless of course, not spending all his money is considered a sign of weakness... something that he is physically incapable of showing.

Even the highest estimates of the amount spent on this campaign for a single candidate is somewhere between half a billion and a billion dollars (primary plus general). If Trump feels that he has a real chance at this, I could easily see him investing a trial balloon sum of a hundred million and singlehandedly match Right to Rise PAC's cash on hand.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

Even if he ends up not being their first choice, he'll end up being a close enough second so it won't matter. Which is what I've been saying. Don't put words in my mouth.

Tell me more about how close seconds do in a FPTP system. :allears:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

There were a few older people at our local Bernie rally that said almost exactly this kind of thing. One guy was practically in tears about it.

The plural of anecdote is not data, but my former junior high-school art teacher, who's 68, female, and supported Hillary over Obama in 2008, is an enthusiastic Bernie supporter now. Her current Facebook profile picture has her wearing one of his crazy hair and glasses-design hoodies.

I grew up in an extremely rural part of the Pacific Northwest where you still see people flying Confederate flags sometimes (there's one in my above-noted art teacher's neighborhood, in fact). I was at the area's county fair a week ago, and noticed that the local county Democrats booth didn't have a single piece of Hillary campaign material up, but they did have a Bernie 2016 banner, as well as jars collecting cash donations for all the current campaigns. Guess whose jar was the most full?

It was Bernie's.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 28, 2015

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

radical meme posted:

EDIT: You are simply mis-remembering. That time never even existed in Congressional politics because the time you are talking about is when the Democratic party was lead by the racist poo poo bags that are Republicans today.

Led, not "lead." (Boomers also remember a time when people could spell.)

And no, I'm not misremembering. I remember when Vietnam vets who were sick of the war swept Congress. I remember when women sick of Biden and his ilk after the Clarence Thomas hearings swept Congress.

That Dems are the way they are today because they have to be is the greatest lie told to younger people. Obama's presidency ("No, we can't!") solidified that lie, and it makes me sad to see supposedly "liberal" younger people buy into that lie.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

radical meme posted:

Critical thought has nothing to do with Presidential politics. It's circlejerk groupthink that actually gets people elected.

Beautiful. With all these nerd skulls I'm going to collect, I'm gonna be like the Predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Patter Song posted:

Even the highest estimates of the amount spent on this campaign for a single candidate is somewhere between half a billion and a billion dollars (primary plus general). If Trump feels that he has a real chance at this, I could easily see him investing a trial balloon sum of a hundred million and singlehandedly match Right to Rise PAC's cash on hand.

True. But money can't buy everything. It's good for ad buys, polls, and other poo poo but he will still lack the people with experience and trustworthiness.

Heck, the majority of people that are actually on campaign payroll right now would find themselves running a calling station for any other campaign.

Right to Rise is run by a longtime Bush aide. Everyone else with responsibility probably has some longtime connection to the Bushes. *Maybe* Trump can buy good people through sheer force of money, but they won't be as trusted compared to the competition. And the people he does trust, have no experience. You really can't have both.

• Locked thread