Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I believe net neutrality is a very good thing that eventually we will get back, but in the grand order of problems facing this country it is way down on the list. Out of the whole history of the internet we had net neutrality effectively for two years and yet the world has keep on spinning. But of course it's a nerdy white problem so we here a lot more about that than income inequality or other real problems.

We've had net neutrality for a lot longer, we just codified it two years ago. And without it, it means we are one step closer to state controlled media / news. ISPs can block access to sites they don't want to see. poo poo is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope that Google Fiber poo poo takes off (lol)

I've had Google Fiber for about 2 years now and it is the bees knees.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shangri-Law School posted:

I think we can all agree, then, that getting rid of the unambiguous enemy is a good way to proceed.

Of course, but not if you replace them with another enemy.

A democrat that's also for regulatory capture and corporate interests is also an unambiguous enemy, but a more insidious one, because liberals will back them completely while they set the tables for failure.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I believe net neutrality is a very good thing that eventually we will get back, but in the grand order of problems facing this country it is way down on the list. Out of the whole history of the internet we had net neutrality effectively for two years and yet the world has keep on spinning. But of course it's a nerdy white problem so we here a lot more about that than income inequality or other real problems.

The danger here is much like the unstated danger of the republican tax bill. These things could be easily restored if the democrats take power, but the obvious fear is, why would anyone think the neoliberal democrats will actually fight for that?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
<extremely The Dem Defender voice>

Because the democrats have our best interests in mind and not those of the corporations and donors! Thats why all those people went to jail for ruining the economy and millions of lives!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

a neat cape posted:

So in effect, ESPN now owns all the fox sports regional networks which is where fox sports gets most of its revenue right?

Lol Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock, and Skip Bayless

The really big thing is that this is going help absolutely destroy the leagues during the next media negotiation cycle, because there are now way less companies bidding for the rights

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

The really big thing is that this is going help absolutely destroy the leagues during the next media negotiation cycle, because there are now way less companies bidding for the rights

That was my point. That seems to be missed in the analysis I've seen so far. CBS and NBC don't compete for as many sports as Fox and ESPN do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There are enough lawsuits lined up about net neutrality to lock it down until the Democrats control everything.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope that Google Fiber poo poo takes off (lol)

I have bad news for you

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

There are enough lawsuits lined up about net neutrality to lock it down until the Democrats control everything.

Seems like every single state AG is chomping at the bit to get a lawsuit against it.

At least my state's AG is. Dude clearly has super high ambition so he's sued basically everything lovely Trump has done.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Seems like every single state AG is chomping at the bit to get a lawsuit against it.

At least my state's AG is. Dude clearly has super high ambition so he's sued basically everything lovely Trump has done.

If nothing else, the part restricting states from enacting their own legislation is going to be incredibly murky. But really, all of it is incredibly murky with the courts.

Also, it's still only two days since Roy Moore lost, so here's a pic of Ed O'Neill in his black belt outfit:

Imagine a world where a single income family could own that house and raise two kids on a shoe salesman's salary. Fox and their drat utopic sitcoms.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

The danger here is much like the unstated danger of the republican tax bill. These things could be easily restored if the democrats take power, but the obvious fear is, why would anyone think the neoliberal democrats will actually fight for that?

I thought the FCC followed up the deregulation by stripping itself of the power to regulate in the future

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Imagine a world where a single income family could own that house and raise two kids on a shoe salesman's salary. Fox and their drat utopic sitcoms.

To be fair they only ate about twice a year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure Kelly was the one keeping the family afloat by working as a prostitute

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

I thought the FCC followed up the deregulation by stripping itself of the power to regulate in the future

I think you're right, but that's fixable in legislation.

Intruder posted:

I'm pretty sure Kelly was the one keeping the family afloat by working as a prostitute

But then why was Al constantly beating the poo poo out of all of her boyfrie.... oh, he's her pimp.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

I saw Kelly and working prostitute and was reminded of this:

https://www.theonion.com/whose-default-is-it-anyway-1819592633

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man, I wish our poo poo was as wild as the UK's poo poo:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

Man, I wish our poo poo was as wild as the UK's poo poo:

Couldn't they have made the headline a little longer?

Also Roy Moore is still refusing to concede :lol:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hope he never does and just updates his twitter header to Senator elect Roy Moore and start tweeting as if he is senator as the world lines up a never ending dunk line on him.

He doesn't need to admit to being owned for the world to continue to own him.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Well he doesn't seem the type to take "no" for an answer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

roy moore log off bitch

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Senator Moore, Senator Moore, how do you plan to vote on the enhanced Megan's Law legislation?

Oh, right.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
^^ you actually have to be accused of a sex offense for Megan's Law to apply to you. I bet Roy Moore would still vote to gently caress over any felons because in his twisted mind, he hasn't done anything wrong.

Right now, would you rather be a fan of the Cleveland Browns or the Miami Marlins?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Alaois posted:

roy moore log off bitch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Browns at least get to have a parade this year

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

The Browns at least get to have a parade this year

On the other hand, the Marlins somehow have 2 fluke WS wins.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Right now, would you rather be a fan of the Cleveland Browns or the Miami Marlins?

...Oh god...

...from this day forward I guess....

...maybe...

...Browns?

The Browns just hired what might be a semi-capable GM. There's a non-zero chance their owner might be forced to sell (although it's a very small chance) and you could hope for a good ownership group. Money is not a problem, if they want to they can spend as much cash as anyone in the league, and while that won't make any free agents actually want to go there it can draw some in anyway.

The Marlins just sold to a new ownership group and the first and only objective they have is to wildly slash payroll at any cost--arguably because they didn't really have enough money to adequately run an MLB franchise in the first place and shouldn't have been approved. They might even move Christian Yelich who's good and super cheap for years. The Marlins are loving bleak.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well I assumed you meant like becoming a fan today moving forward

Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/941153788941033472

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Marlins just traded the reigning NL MVP and a 5.8 bWAR player (trust me, this means he's extremely good) for not a single top 100 prospect

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Browns are like a stupid puppy. It just can't help itself, it just doesn't know any better.

The Marlins know exactly what it's doing and it's like watching a vulture firm kill a company you used to like (like, say, the Toys R Us situation). I don't know how anyone could watch them.

Also:

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/941309160192397313

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah Miami is pretty clearly salary dumping AGAIN

No clue how the gently caress they allowed this

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah Miami is pretty clearly salary dumping AGAIN

No clue how the gently caress they allowed this

MLB doesn't care about the Marlins

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Basically, the Browns are the laughing stock for being horrible, and admitting to being a fan of them means you've rooted for them during this horrific time. There is a sliver of hope that they'll get a good QB and RB in the draft though and that they don't Browns it up.

Rooting for the Marlins means you've seen your core players crumble away in the following ways:
- your ace pitcher dies in a coke-infused boating accident
- your 2nd basemen is traded away for money
- your MVP and other great outfieler is traded to the loving Yankees and Cardinals, respectively
- your remaining good player wants out (and no one blames him)

But at least you have 2 championships and the dinger machine!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Kalli posted:

Of course, but not if you replace them with another enemy.

A democrat that's also for regulatory capture and corporate interests is also an unambiguous enemy, but a more insidious one, because liberals will back them completely while they set the tables for failure.

Man, net neutrality was actually something we had. This isn't a "I know that they support it in their hearts" thing; we had it under Obama, and now Trump is taking it away. We also saw what the Democrats do when they gain power after a massive Republican tax cut was passed; they raised taxes on the rich. Whether the tax increase was high enough is a different question, but it's insane to pretend that the parties are the same here. Unless you genuinely believe that Obama intended to sabotage everything from the start.

It is agonizing to see this country getting burned to ash while people argue that the firefighters, flawed as they may be, secretly support the fire. Especially coming from people who will make out better than most. What's the point of this dishonest cynicism? Is it just "LOL nothing matters"?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

^^^ They didn't raise taxes on the rich they just let the previous tax cuts for the rich expire without renewing them

What's the point of the dinger machine if you've traded away all your dingers

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

lebatard could've had a see ya loria marlins parade if the new owners weren't as bad

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

^^^ They didn't raise taxes on the rich they just let the previous tax cuts for the rich expire without renewing them

What's the point of the dinger machine if you've traded away all your dingers

Jeets tried to trade the dinger machine too, but didn't realize it had a no trade clause.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Intruder posted:

What's the functional difference there? And the ACA was paid for with new taxes on the rich.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just found out I’ll be coming into work every day from now until Xmas. That’s...that’s aces

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Shangri-Law School posted:

It is agonizing to see this country getting burned to ash while people argue that the firefighters, flawed as they may be, secretly support the fire. Especially coming from people who will make out better than most. What's the point of this dishonest cynicism? Is it just "LOL nothing matters"?

Because a lot of the firefighters have shown indifference towards the fire when it comes to actually battling it, but they sure do love to talk about how much they hate that loving fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Neil Armbong posted:

Because a lot of the firefighters have shown indifference towards the fire when it comes to actually battling it, but they sure do love to talk about how much they hate that loving fire.

No way. Most fire fighters live for fire calls, cutting people out of cars, getting a save in the field, etc. There is no indifference in relation to the fire and most will tell you about how much they love fire how they wish there was more of it.

Obviously they don't want people to die and feel bad for homeowners, but those calls are why fire fighters became fire fighters.

• Locked thread