Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sickening posted:

Its giving me the old Mycosynth Lattice combo vibes. The lock applies to both players though , but if you are already winning onboard and your opponent is playing any creature lands, you are doing pretty well.

Its also maybe a bit "win more" , but casting Wurmcoil Engine was already not as good as it use to be either. So if you are casting something for 6 cmc , might as well have the option of a lock piece.

you both get locked, but karn can grab artifacts in exile so you'll be able to put any cards exiled by omen machine into your hand.. or at least once every 3 turns after you tick karn down to 1. but you can also use liquimetal coating to start bombing out their lands. so unless they have an answer in hand it's simply a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

You mean except all the masters sets its been reprinted in that already have foil prints?

he's wrong in that it's actually 2 foil printings... but it's only ever been in 1 masters paper set: iconic masters.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strong Sauce posted:

he's wrong in that it's actually 2 foil printings... but it's only ever been in 1 masters paper set: iconic masters.

It was also in Modern Horizons 1.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

It was also in Modern Horizons 1.

it was as a buy-a-box promo that's non-foil. it's also not a masters set.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

you both get locked, but karn can grab artifacts in exile so you'll be able to put any cards exiled by omen machine into your hand.. or at least once every 3 turns after you tick karn down to 1. but you can also use liquimetal coating to start bombing out their lands. so unless they have an answer in hand it's simply a matter of time.

you have to cast with omen machine, those artifacts wont be in exile they'll be in the graveyard

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Strong Sauce posted:

oops, forgot about that one. those go for ~100 usd so my point still stands

the judge promo is a judge promo and is at ~170

good value for whoever gets that topper

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

you have to cast with omen machine, those artifacts wont be in exile they'll be in the graveyard

ah i thought the cast was optional.

well i guess play rest in peace and then it kinda works?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The combo isn't particularly good because it doesn't stop your opponent from doing anything with cards they already have in hand. Lattice works because once you play the lattice then they can't play anything from their hand any more, and also can't use any on board activated abilities that could kill a lock piece.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The biggest thing about Karn/Lattice was that it was a one card combo. You play karn, and it came with the lattice.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It doesn’t solve hands or the board but the cost for the combo lock is so low I think it’s still super strong. You’re only giving up a sb slot, the rest of the cards you want to play anyway. Karn + Urza’s Saga + Freestrider Lookout + Relic of Progenitus is a hell of a core that already wants you to play at least one copy of Vexing Bauble to force decks to play the fair game. If it has the opportunity to just plain win in a lot of lower resource game states that seems like a powerful addition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would have thought the combo costing 10 mana would be too much for the faster formats. What deck plays that?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Aphrodite posted:

I would have thought the combo costing 10 mana would be too much for the faster formats. What deck plays that?

Karn decks already just play karn. The 6 cmc artifact would be a 1 of in the sideboard. The 1 cmc enabler is already a potentially maindeck playable card because it cycles and a ton of powerful staples don't cost mana in modern.

Its not karn lattice, but it has potential and it only costs you a single sideboard slot or maybe 2.

If I had any doubts that it wouldn't be good is because it would be that the card isn't completely bought out when its like 50 cents.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Okay hear me out:

What if we put this in Lantern Control

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Interesting interview with Garfield and brief retrospective on his work and life, and the origins of Magic. I can absolutely believe Hasbro was stupid enough to chase Garfield out after he offered to make a 'good, instead' online computer version of Magic, plus barred him from working on any game ideas besides Magic. Toy company executives have got to be some of the most cynical, myopic, and joyless people around.
https://defector.com/the-creator-of-magic-the-gathering-knows-exactly-where-it-all-went-wrong

quote:

After meeting with Adkison, Garfield went for a hike near Multnomah Falls, a 500-foot column of water pouring through the Pacific rainforest close to his childhood home in Portland. There a new idea washed over him: What if the variety and craziness in a card game didn’t have to come from the same deck of cards? What if you could choose which cards you put in your deck—or choose which pieces you used when playing any game for that matter, like chess? And what if, when you were bored with what you had, you could buy new game pieces from the store?
One dude having an incredible idea for a fun card game.

quote:

“I started whooping and hollering and yelling, because I knew at that moment that we had an idea that would add a whole new dimension to gaming, and if executed properly, would make us millions,” wrote Adkison on Usenet about the moment Garfield told him this idea.
The other dude turning into a greedy cartoon with dollar sign eyes buggin' out of his head.

quote:

When Garfield first began working on the game, one concern replayed through his mind: If every card had wildly different effects, why would anyone ever want to play with ones that were obviously weaker? What would prevent some rich kid from simply buying 10 sets of the game and creating an unbeatable deck?

The first step he took to solve this resulted in Magic’s defining trait: He gave each card a “cost.” If you wanted to play a card that was obviously more powerful, you’d have to “pay” more for it, in the form of a non-renewable magic energy source called mana, which you generated by tapping any land cards you had in play. In the same way a weekly paycheck might determine the parameters of your economic life, the amount of mana you generated every turn in Magic constrained what you could do. As you played more lands (maximum one per turn) and your mana “income” increased, you could play more expensive creatures and spells every turn.

As the number of cards in circulation grew, Garfield went out of his way to keep common or easier-to-find cards powerful, while also keeping the rare cards narrowly attuned and never so powerful that you needed them to win. He would sometimes demonstrate this by bringing a deck full of common cards to games stores and beating players who had decks stuffed with expensive rares.

Today, getting rich kids to buy 10 sets of the game seems to be Hasbro’s primary business model. Wizards has adopted a punishing release schedule, printing so many new cards that the Bank of America recently reprimanded Hasbro for trying to over-monetize their players and downgraded the company’s stock. When I asked Garfield what he thought about this, he pleaded ignorance and told me he’s been completely disconnected from the game since the pandemic. He’s heard rumors that have alarmed him, but he thinks Wizards of the Coast old-timers like Bill Rose and Mark Rosewater still have the game’s best interests at heart.

The title lead me to believe the article might go in-depth on all the things Garfield thought was wrong with today's magic, but there's not much dedicated to it, but what is there is obvious what the problem is and basically always has been, with the balance now fully tipped and pouring like an avalanche on one end.

quote:

“You know what that is?” Everingham remembered the sales rep asking. “That’s our prison. We send all the flattened Magic packaging and booster packs to the prison and the inmates do the product fulfillment.”

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Vexing Bauble seems like it's on the fast track to the restricted list.

Won't be as warping in legacy but should do some damage there as well.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The decks that play Karn in faster formats cheat out mana: tron, coffers, devotion etc. They already play a handful of expensive situational wish targets SB.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 20, 2024

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Interesting interview with Garfield and brief retrospective on his work and life, and the origins of Magic. I can absolutely believe Hasbro was stupid enough to chase Garfield out after he offered to make a 'good, instead' online computer version of Magic, plus barred him from working on any game ideas besides Magic. Toy company executives have got to be some of the most cynical, myopic, and joyless people around.
https://defector.com/the-creator-of-magic-the-gathering-knows-exactly-where-it-all-went-wrong

Sounds like the same kind of logic from executives at movie companies that decide not to release a movie to get a tax write-off and no, they won't sell the movie rights for a greater sum of money than the tax write-off because it would be embarrassing if the people that bought the movie ended up making more money than them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The decks that play Karn in faster formats cheat out mana: tron, coffers, devotion etc. They already play a handful of expensive situational wish targets SB.

Yeah. Spike just put out a 5-0/10-0 league with b/g coffers using Freestrider Lookout and Pillage the Bog. Karn did so much work for him, was really cool to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpdbFHNfMFc

Decklist: 1 Forest
4 Swamp
4 Fatal Push
4 Mishra's Bauble
4 Cabal Coffers
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Marsh Flats
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Karn, the Great Creator
4 Thoughtseize
4 March of Wretched Sorrow
3 The One Ring
3 Underground Mortuary
4 Freestrider Lookout
4 Pillage the Bog

SIDEBOARD
1 Pithing Needle
1 Liquimetal Coating
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Sundering Titan
1 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring
1 The Stone Brain
1 Cityscape Leveler
1 Haywire Mite
1 The One Ring
1 Tithing Blade // Consuming Sepulcher
3 Pick Your Poison

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/SaffronOlive/status/1792661046056091703

Times are rough at WOTC hq. Is a playset really 200$? :aloom:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can just craft em though, this is only gonna hurt for people who don't actually play that often.

Also no, a playset of every enemy fetchland is $40, I don't know where you got $200 from.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh no wonder it's Saffron Olive, guy who totally doesn't have an axe to grind about MTGA

He cropped the image to make you think that you have to buy it multiple times, here's the actual image

So it's about 2k gold per Fetchland, which is equal to opening 2 packs. Basically trading in 2 random rares for one guaranteed good card.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Eej posted:

Oh no wonder it's Saffron Olive, guy who totally doesn't have an axe to grind about MTGA

does he? he seems like he makes a lot of content on it

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
And even if you do straight "one thing in the shop for another" math, the $100 gem pack has you spending $40 of the gems on the lands, and if you instead bought 20 rare wildcards, you'd spend $50 because 4 rare wildcards costs $10. It's fine, it's in line with the existing economy. Almost zero people who care are going to do anything other than craft the lands they need with their rare wildcards. Most people aren't going to need Arid Mesa AND Misty Rainforest on day one. Especially if you already have the Khans ones.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ilmucche posted:

does he? he seems like he makes a lot of content on it

Woops I might be conflating him with the other guy who got mad about getting his spot "stolen" by a woman

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
also most of the anthologies cards were bad/commons

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eej posted:

Woops I might be conflating him with the other guy who got mad about getting his spot "stolen" by a woman

Now I want to know who

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

https://x.com/SaffronOlive/status/1792661046056091703

Times are rough at WOTC hq. Is a playset really 200$? :aloom:

200 bucks?
You can get 4wc for ten can't you?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

Now I want to know who

iirc it was jeff hoogland, though i think it was less directly complaining about 'women taking his spot' and more that he went on a rant about not being invited to a thing and managing to only name women in all his examples until called out on it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

idk, I also think it's lovely. At least Special Guest and the Remastered sets encourage you to *play the game* to get the pieces. Tangentially, sure you could buy these with gold, or craft em', but it's priced high enough that only a sliver of people are going to do that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

flatluigi posted:

iirc it was jeff hoogland, though i think it was less directly complaining about 'women taking his spot' and more that he went on a rant about not being invited to a thing and managing to only name women in all his examples until called out on it

Yeah hoogland is the first name that came to my mind as well. Can't remember specifics though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I was thinking of old Boohoogland

CatstropheWaitress posted:

idk, I also think it's lovely. At least Special Guest and the Remastered sets encourage you to *play the game* to get the pieces. Tangentially, sure you could buy these with gold, or craft em', but it's priced high enough that only a sliver of people are going to do that.

I dunno, this is purely for constructed Timeless which is already a smaller slice of MTGA. Allied fetches are in MH3 but enemy ones aren't so they bundled them into an expensive bundle and also made them craftable. You could argue that they could be cheaper but I don't think it's really that lovely.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so the bundle is a 'better deal' than buying the rare wildcards directly -- $50 gets you 5x of the 4 rare wildcard bundle or 9.2k gems, which leaves you with 1.2k gems surplus after getting the bundle -- but because it's funny money you can't actually just buy the 8k gems and save the actual dollars. i'd put it firmly in the same category as the wildcard bundles themselves, which is that they're meant to just be for people who 'need' to make constructed decks and don't want to bother with playing limited/buying packs.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

the fetchlands are in the mh3 set proper, so you should be able to pick up the fetchlands when you play modern horizons 3 limited (or just buying mh3 packs directly). i'd recommend just doing that and crafting the ones you need as you go

edit: oops did i get that wrong entirely

edit2: yeah i'm a dumbass, the bundle is the enemy fetchlands and mh3 has the ally fetchlands, which are already on arena. guess you're spending that money lmao

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 20, 2024

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Fetchlands are only playable in timeless and brawl so it is a pretty heinous mark up not matter how you cut it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They'll be in whatever form of 4p commander that's coming to arena too

They've been kinda dropping hints to it coming with that alchemy card that refers to the player to your right, and having to manually click a target with cards that say Target Opponent, when for the longest time they auto targeted your opponent

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Even if you're both a die-hard Timeless player and a die-hard Brawl player, I don't see you realistically needing to spend more than, idk, 11 wildcards on these fetchlands.

40 current-set packs gives you probably 11 rare/mythic wildcards, in addition to also opening a whole bunch of cards

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Are they setting the stage to bring modern to arena? :ohdear:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kung fu jive posted:

modern horizons 3 is literally coming to arena, and they implemented a format called timeless explicitly so that the most powerful cards on arena can hang out. it's already got channel, natural order, mana drain, reanimate, and show and tell

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flatluigi posted:

modern horizons 3 is literally coming to arena, and they implemented a format called timeless explicitly so that the most powerful cards on arena can hang out. it's already got channel, natural order, mana drain, reanimate, and show and tell

and it owns (other than being an insane buy-in)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

Magic: the Gathering: it owns (other than being an insane buy-in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

kung fu jive posted:

As much as it'd rule, they're still so far away from that. Modern now has more sets than the whole game had when the format was invented.