Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started reading around when Haley shot Nale's necklace in the dungeon and was like "wow! that was some long term foreshadowing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ikanreed posted:

Rewatch the first cut scene with him and his first mate and tell me that again.

You mean the one where he reminisces about how good it is to be dead to his subordinate, while basically bullying him and rubbing in his face the fact that he murdered him and enslaved his soul for eternity?

e: Maybe we just have different definitions of "goofball". Monkey Island is a goofball series, and there are jokes made at LeChuck's expenses, but he himself is always treated like a threat and presented as such, even when they make fun of his crush on Elaine.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 17, 2020

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lechuck screaming LIES! FILTHY, DIRTY, LIES! at the accusation that sequels are never as good as the original shook me to my core

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
He becomes more of a goofball as the series goes on. In 1 and 2 he's pretty much a straight-up villain, but by 3 he's a fair bit sillier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfAo3O2qZR0&t=667s

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
All that's reminding me that the voice actor for Guybrush was just a fan of the series who showed up and asked for an audition.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

All that's reminding me that the voice actor for Guybrush was just a fan of the series who showed up and asked for an audition.

I had no idea this was true. He absolutely nailed it, if that was the case. I really dislike how hammy LeChuck's voice acting got, but Dominic Armato really got the Arthur Dent-ishness of Guybrush right.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i actually was a big fan of lechucks voice. in 3, at least.

my mind has purged all knowledge of 4 from itself

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 18, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Your mind did you a favor. The interface, graphics and writing are all by far the worst in the series.

The more recent Monkey Island 5, on the other hand, is really really good, even if it does that "split a game into several chapters" thing that telltale loves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
1211 is out!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

new strip

Aaah redcloak. A perfectly reasonable responce except for information you don't have and won't trust if you did.

Calling now - they are going to kill and rez redcloak after he has a chat with the Dark One for this reason.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

new strip

Aaah redcloak. A perfectly reasonable responce except for information you don't have and won't trust if you did.

Calling now - they are going to kill and rez redcloak after he has a chat with the Dark One for this reason.

Raise dead takes an hour to cast and they're T minus ? till xykon blasts in.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Before it dives into YAY STRIP chat and all. I've started LeChuck's revenge recently. That and Escape are the two Monkey Island's I'm least familiar with, having only played them once. I have vague memory of the story beats of 2 at least. But the orders of operations for the puzzles are lost to the sands of time for me. Escape, I just... know that I'm going to only stream a little of Monkey Kombat. Then end the stream there and finish that on my own before the next one. Because lmao at having people sit through an hour of that grind.

With that said. Oh Durkon, you dummy. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Raise dead takes an hour to cast and they're T minus ? till xykon blasts in.
They could just move his corpse somewhere else. They don't have to do it right there. Granted Xykon might get bored and look for Redcloak and discover them anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Redcloak is probably the hardest character in the comic to kill. I'm not sure Durkon and Minrah can pull it off on their own.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

Redcloak is probably the hardest character in the comic to kill. I'm not sure Durkon and Minrah can pull it off on their own.

not a chance, it needs the whole crew

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

We know for a fact he can cast 9th level spells. The Order is fairly high level but, Watsoniangly speaking, he can chew them up no problem.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It was breakfast time at the start of the book, and we know Team Evil start their tomb romps at dusk. We don't know what everyone else is up to, but there's a definite chance that Redcloak is nowhere near as combat ready as Team Thor, particularly when the latter were singularly prepared for facing him, and his plan C is Animate Object.

There's a definite chance they could kill him here, if no one else shows up to interfere.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or they come within one or two hits of killing him, and then Xykon casually drops in and says something like “‘sup, assholes?”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Word of Recall.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

So Redcloak will definitely remember they have Protection from Negative Energy, and update battle strats accordingly when the real full-party fight breaks out later, messing up Roy's whole strategy, right?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Even if he’s low on spells after a dungeon crawl we know he keeps Word of Recall prepared.

What’s the immediate fallout of this diplomatic fuckup going to be? Durkon’s going to confess everything to Roy (he doesn’t have the guile to lie), and Roy will be monumentally pissed off, but beyond that I think not much? Redcloak now knows the Order are in the area, and that they know the secret he’s been keeping from Xykon for years, so he can’t risk revealing this meeting to anyone else on his team.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Before it dives into YAY STRIP chat and all. I've started LeChuck's revenge recently. That and Escape are the two Monkey Island's I'm least familiar with, having only played them once. I have vague memory of the story beats of 2 at least. But the orders of operations for the puzzles are lost to the sands of time for me. Escape, I just... know that I'm going to only stream a little of Monkey Kombat. Then end the stream there and finish that on my own before the next one. Because lmao at having people sit through an hour of that grind.

With that said. Oh Durkon, you dummy. :allears:

I replayed LeChuck's Revenge recently, and I feel like it's overrated (at least, overrated in the sense that I've seen some people praise it as the best one and the best of adventure games). It's got some extremely obtuse puzzles and the story doesn't really hook together. Curse of Monkey Island invents an interesting new aesthetic along with an interesting new character dynamic, and Tales of Monkey Island is pretty strong all-around, although I'm not sure you can get it anymore after Telltale self-destructed. Day of the Tentacle is probably my favorite Lucasarts adventure game.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's not a reasonable response at all, because it's clearly Redcloak conflating his ends and means. The Plan was to use the gates as a threat, and he's already done that; it's even been told to him that the Dark One can use the rifts as a bargaining tool with the rest of the gods whether he directly controls them or not, because he's the only one who can plug them up for good.

If he's going to refuse things being offered to him, not even try to honor negotiations and continue on with the ritual, claiming that he's on "the threshold of victory", it means that he's more focused on the ritual than on any kind of theoretical change or improvement that could be achieved with its threat. Maybe he'd even prefer oblivion to living with all the things he's done.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the biggest fallout is that the Order now has information that could potentially turn Xykon against Redcloak. O-Chul definitely keyed on to them being at odds, though we don't know to which extent, but Durkon now knows for a fact that Redcloak's endgame does not contain Xykon. Redcloak is pretty much screwed if the Dwarf Squad survives and decides to use this against him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

I replayed LeChuck's Revenge recently, and I feel like it's overrated (at least, overrated in the sense that I've seen some people praise it as the best one and the best of adventure games). It's got some extremely obtuse puzzles and the story doesn't really hook together. Curse of Monkey Island invents an interesting new aesthetic along with an interesting new character dynamic, and Tales of Monkey Island is pretty strong all-around, although I'm not sure you can get it anymore after Telltale self-destructed. Day of the Tentacle is probably my favorite Lucasarts adventure game.

The entire series is on GOG: Secret - Revenge - Curse - Escape - Tales.

Escape honestly isn't that bad. The worst part is the monkey kombat thing, which gets old quick, the game would need a way to just skip it entirely if you don't want to endure it again. Other than that, it's okay and has some good puzzles and jokes.

And yeah, DOTT is the funniest IMO.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tales of Monkey Island is pretty strong all-around, although I'm not sure you can get it anymore after Telltale self-destructed.

Good news on Tales: https://www.gog.com/game/tales_of_monkey_island .

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Big fan of "I don't remember 'peaceful' being on my list of demands."

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cat Mattress posted:

The entire series is on GOG: Secret - Revenge - Curse - Escape - Tales.

Escape honestly isn't that bad. The worst part is the monkey kombat thing, which gets old quick, the game would need a way to just skip it entirely if you don't want to endure it again. Other than that, it's okay and has some good puzzles and jokes.

And yeah, DOTT is the funniest IMO.

Worst part was Guybrush losing his beard post-Revenge.

Also, stop burning your heal spells on damage, Redcloak!

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Why is Minrah not speaking the same way Durkon is? Like she's speaking "normal" English

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Durkon's Scottish accent has always been so meanderingly strange that I'm willing to believe he just talks weird.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

paradoxGentleman posted:

We know for a fact he can cast 9th level spells. The Order is fairly high level but, Watsoniangly speaking, he can chew them up no problem.

A 17th level Cleric doesnt have unlimited 9th level spells. In fact Implosion might have been it, slotwise.

But he is still pretty much the strongest character in this current battle.

Also honestly, Roy should know mass buff strategies are hopeless when they got wiped out due to a mass Dispelling in the last battle, and Xykon has epiclevel Dispelling.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 18, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not a reasonable response at all, because it's clearly Redcloak conflating his ends and means. The Plan was to use the gates as a threat, and he's already done that; it's even been told to him that the Dark One can use the rifts as a bargaining tool with the rest of the gods whether he directly controls them or not, because he's the only one who can plug them up for good.

If he's going to refuse things being offered to him, not even try to honor negotiations and continue on with the ritual, claiming that he's on "the threshold of victory", it means that he's more focused on the ritual than on any kind of theoretical change or improvement that could be achieved with its threat. Maybe he'd even prefer oblivion to living with all the things he's done.

The missing piece of information for us readers here is The Dark One himself. We know his Plan, but not what he knows or what he is thinking at this point in time. Does he know he won't make it the next world or that the other gods are on the verge of destroying this one?

This seems to be the perfect moment for him to be sending envoys to the other gods saying, "let's talk about the goblins place in this world." Instead he's cut all communication and yes he did that because he was pissed they withheld knowledge of the Snarl from him, but how is the Plan suppose to work when the Goblin God is bunkered down and melting all messagers who come his way?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Regardless of how fresh or tapped out Redcloak is, I don't see this fight going well for Durkon and Minrah if they choose to press the issue here. They need to bounce and regroup with the others.

OhFunny posted:

The missing piece of information for us readers here is The Dark One himself. We know his Plan, but not what he knows or what he is thinking at this point in time. Does he know he won't make it the next world or that the other gods are on the verge of destroying this one?

This seems to be the perfect moment for him to be sending envoys to the other gods saying, "let's talk about the goblins place in this world." Instead he's cut all communication and yes he did that because he was pissed they withheld knowledge of the Snarl from him, but how is the Plan suppose to work when the Goblin God is bunkered down and melting all messagers who come his way?

An interesting thought occurs to me. Earlier, Redcloak told Oona that even though he hasn't ever directly communicated with the Dark One, he knows that he's still doing the Dark One's will because he keeps getting spells when he prays for spells at dusk.

So right now I'm very eager to see what happens at dusk when Redcloak prays for spells.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Man, this whole thing could have been averted if sense motive wasn't cross class for clerics. You'd think gods would want their living hands on Earth to be able to tell when someone is fibbing but I guess not!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
At least Animate Object is so woefully weak that (I think) Durkon and Minrah aren't in any immediate danger from it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

THE BAR posted:

Worst part was Guybrush losing his beard post-Revenge.

Also, stop burning your heal spells on damage, Redcloak!

Evil cleric.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

XkyRauh posted:

At least Animate Object is so woefully weak that (I think) Durkon and Minrah aren't in any immediate danger from it.

It won't do a lot of damage, but it forces Durkon to cast defensively while he's in its melee range. He might conceivably have a cast fizzle because of it - it's not bad strategy when you're up against a high level cleric who has protection from your major damage spells, and you've used your 9th level save or die.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Animate Object makes a two on one fight into a two on two fight. Even if it's only for a few rounds, that takes the pressure off.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

W.T. Fits posted:

An interesting thought occurs to me. Earlier, Redcloak told Oona that even though he hasn't ever directly communicated with the Dark One, he knows that he's still doing the Dark One's will because he keeps getting spells when he prays for spells at dusk.

So right now I'm very eager to see what happens at dusk when Redcloak prays for spells.

It's hard to imagine any way that Redcloak's current path could be considered to be disappointing The Dark One. I suppose the plot could be that Redcloak doesn't get spells (because TDO is under attack by the other gods) and Redcloak misinterprets it as a withdrawal of favor.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mniot posted:

It's hard to imagine any way that Redcloak's current path could be considered to be disappointing The Dark One. I suppose the plot could be that Redcloak doesn't get spells (because TDO is under attack by the other gods) and Redcloak misinterprets it as a withdrawal of favor.

I feel like that would be something that might happen if he'd agreed to go along with Durkon. Him joining the protagonists to save the world based on a misunderstanding seems weird narratively, but him turning on them based on a misunderstanding is classic tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mniot posted:

Trying to kill someone engaging in good faith negotiations with you is something The Dark One has a bad history with, if nothing else.