Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the penalty for being a pedophile with a cardboard fetish?

I've never had a reason to wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Fury of dracula is more available than you think. The big game that became immediately sold out after the FFG/GW split was forbidden stars.

I just checked, and apparently its in stock at Amazon for 75? I jumped on the hype train and paid a friend 120 to pick it up at a local shop for me at the initial blitz. I still don't have the game in my hands haha.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

The Lisboa kickstarter (new Vital) starts today by the way.

annnnnd it's up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/lisboa-vital-lacerdas-new-game-of-rebuilding-and-i

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:laffo: I got the Amazon notification yesterday that my Terraforming Mars order would be auto-cancelled if it doesn't ship by Sunday, and then it shipped later that afternoon.

I wonder if it actually shipped, or if it "shipped" to avoid getting cancelled. I guess I'll find out when the tracking info posts.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bit the bullet and purchased AFfO, now I'm just going to sit here :f5: reality until it gets here...

But on the positive side I found out my friend has a copy of Agricola so I can play it much sooner than expected! ...but all I really wanna do is continue my Pandemic Legacy campaign. :emo:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ross Perowned posted:

Patchwork has tons of replay value, a very easy game to pick up and play in 30 to 40 minutes. As far as lasting appeal, it's not really a game you play three hours straight. But playing it once a week or something like that should wear you out.

Now, Imperial Assault--assuming you are going to play the campaign with friends--the base game itself doesn't have too much "replay" value. The campaign is made of 12-15 missions, and each mission takes about 3 to 4 hours. Once you play through the campaign your players are going to know the mission plots and surprises, so replaying they might plan ahead or know the strategy already for it. Luckily they have plenty of expansions that are campaigns of the same length, and there are also some changes that keep things fresh (an example would be the Boon/Bane system with Return to Hoth). The lasting appeal is definitely there, I've been playing with the same three friends for over a year now.

Alright then, thanks. I was mostly evaluating what to buy next, and my options were Imperial Assault (both my friends and gf like the franchise), Kemet (I don't have a good dudes on a board game yet), Descent with the app (even though I'm worried about IA's improvements on the formula making the latter a more worthwhile purchase) and Roll for the Galaxy (which I just found out has an expansion)

Eminent Domain is a possibility but the store doesn't have Escalation so that's a no go.

My group is at least 4-5 people big most of the year. The rest of the year, when it gets huge, I've got it covered with The Resistance, Codenames and Sushi Go.

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 15, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Roll for the Galaxy has mostly simultaneous turns, and the expansion is Real Good. That would be my pick for accessible 5 player game from the list.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'd also put up Kemet for 4 and 5 if you're interested in area control.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

angel opportunity posted:

I find the actual puzzle-like placement of the pieces surprisingly difficult. I feel like some people are going to simply be way better at this than others, and it will give a pretty big advantage. You can overcome some of that advantage by being smarter about other elements of play (like reading ahead and denying good pieces to your opponent), but I think ultimately if you can't see which pieces fit where in your head, you'll really struggle. I found myself to be really loving bad at this, so the game would be pretty replayable to me just in trying to get better at knowing how to plan my board out from the beginning.

Reminds me how my sister-in-law is some kind of spatial thinking genius. Play Blokus with her and at some point you'll make a move and she'll be like "Hah! Checkmate!"

And you just lost because now she'll do THIS and you'll only be able to this THIS or THAT or THAT and then she can do THIS or THIS and it doesn't matter because no matter how you slice it you can't place THOSE but she can place at least THESE and therefore will end with a higher score no matter what :smaug:

Ross Perowned posted:

Patchwork has tons of replay value, a very easy game to pick up and play in 30 to 40 minutes. As far as lasting appeal, it's not really a game you play three hours straight. But playing it once a week or something like that should wear you out.

For what it's worth my wife and I have played tons of Patchwork and it has held up great but I thought we were reaching the level of "same old".

Then my wife taught it to my cousin and he made some moves I thought were bad but we were like "let the guy make his own mistakes". And he won. I think there might be more in the game than I realized.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Imperial Assault is extremely fun and worth it, doubly so if enjoy Star Wars, but it definitely is a financial rabbit hole buying all the figs for it. I bought everything up to the Hoth Expansion and I still have $220 I need to buy for Bespin and Jabba's Palace.

Also, if your group alternates between numbers playing, know that once you start a campaign the number of player you play with is set in stone for that campaign. Though, in my experience, we had friends that would join us and had fun rolling for Luke or whatever recruited characters the players have earned.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I play a poo poo-tonne of Patchwork on the app and there's information and strategy you can pull from the order of the pieces. Looking ahead, you can identify their likely choices and potentially block them from good pieces, or force them to take bad ones, force them into a stretch of pieces with no pieces with buttons, or force them to move past a scoring button prematurely because they can't afford any of the next three pieces. Further along in the game, you can take the pieces they were clearly counting on (if they built around the expectation they'd get certain ones).

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Agreed, I usually don't look more than one turn ahead to avoid massive AP issues, but planning around the order of the pieces is a huge part of managing the time track.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

I've never had a reason to wonder.

Oh but Rutibex does.

That is a gorgeous board. Might back this.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's a natural extension of The Gallerist/Vinhos Deluxe edition for sure. He's raising the bar for production quality on heavy Euros.

His games are also coming in at a higher price point, but at least you see where it's going. I hope it has a badass insert like The Gallerist's.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I was hoping against hope there'd be a CO2 add-on option.

I might back but this is a pretty bad time of the year for kickstarting anything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

It's a natural extension of The Gallerist/Vinhos Deluxe edition for sure. He's raising the bar for production quality on heavy Euros.

His games are also coming in at a higher price point, but at least you see where it's going. I hope it has a badass insert like The Gallerist's.

And not like Vinhos Deluxe, where the tray for the vineyards doesn't fit properly and the space for the board is too large. It was a real disappointment after the perfect fit of the Gallerist insert.

I'm trying to work out if backing this is going to be cheaper than collecting from Spiel with $33 shipping.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lisboa looks cool af. I wonder if I can play as Samuel Johnson and sit in London, pointing to the disaster as evidence that Leibniz is dumb as poo poo.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
1) Lisboa looks fantastic and I'm down, even though I'm not sure that a Lacerda game has 100% hit for me yet.

2) I said I'd update if Cardhaus got back to me and indicated that they actually did have their A Feast for Odin copies in stock. They've told me by email that they do and that mine ships today. So, there that is.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

2) I said I'd update if Cardhaus got back to me and indicated that they actually did have their A Feast for Odin copies in stock. They've told me by email that they do and that mine ships today. So, there that is.

Yay that means they had my copy in stock, as well! How's Cardhaus' shipping? I got the two day UPS so I'm hoping I get it by like this weekend? Or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Johnny Truant posted:

Yay that means they had my copy in stock, as well! How's Cardhaus' shipping? I got the two day UPS so I'm hoping I get it by like this weekend? Or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

I'm in Tennessee and I ordered on the 13th and should get it on the 16th -- that's pretty normal for them (maybe a slightly longer gestation around the Holidays or a big sale). It probably depends where you are though - they're in Indiana.

They should send you an email when it's shipped, and then you'll receive another notice from UPS the day before it arrives.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This looks cluttered and messy. I don't know where most of you are coming from. It's as visually appealing as an excel spreadsheet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lord Frisk posted:

This looks cluttered and messy. I don't know where most of you are coming from. It's as visually appealing as an excel spreadsheet.

:yeah: a sexy eighteenth century excel spreadsheet

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

now im all hot and bothered, thanks a lot

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked going through Microsoft's color templates in school because they were all visually appealing.

Like what to do when my powerpoint presentation sucks? Why, here's a selection of background templates that'll spice it up immediately.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Pretty soon we're going to run out of port cities to name games off of

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sonatinas posted:

They can always add a word.

Like port.

Port Lisboa.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

I watched the runthrough and started off psyched and then that just kind of faded over time. There are some really awesome elements there (I love multi-use cards), but at the end of the day I feel like there are other games I'd rather play. It also has the downside of being fiddly as all hell, having interrupts that extend turn times (really cool in theory, but bogs the hell out of the game in execution in most cases).

I don't know, I just can't see why I'd want to play Lisboa over Arkwright or Food Chain Magnate. Hell, even the whole goods generation + building + cards thing is something that I feel I could get out of Concordia in a fraction of the time.

I did pre-order The Colonists though - that game looks absolutely amazing. The ever-expanding engine, the expanding map, the differing types of workers that you upgrade over time, the limited actions and importance of positioning, it all looks amazing and I can't wait to try it for myself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ah, Lisboa is by the guy who did The Gallerist. Well I'm kind of lukewarm on that game as I feel like it takes too long to get going but I'll probably end up playing this next year regardless.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I read that The Colonists isn't released until like January? Fuuuuck

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

sonatinas posted:

Where's my Seattle game?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sonatinas posted:

I need to get on my New Orleans game. :ohdear:

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

EBag posted:

Just saw 401games.ca has a ton of copies of Feast for Odin in stock for any Canadian goons looking for a copy.

If anyone is interested, I suggest you step lively. This morning I received a notice from another retailer, BoardGameBliss, and by this evening they were sold out.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Just want to shoot some love to my most recent purchase Steampunk Rally. It's "Ameritrash" but it's Ameritrash the way it should be done. I may like strategic Euro games, but rolling a bunch of dice is still inherently *fun*. The art is really pretty, the theme is fun, and there are also several characters who aren't white males.

You assemble inventions out of all sorts of wacky elements, then you roll a bunch of dice and you figure out the best way to use them. There are clever mechanics which make both high and low rolls desirable: Parts which require a number of pips to activate reward high rolls, but there are many parts which are activated per die, and low rolls are actually rewarded because parts have to be "vented" before being used again, and lower valued dice are cheaper to vent (of course you can also forcefully vent parts by taking damage and throwing them off your machine). It plays two to eight reasonably well (simultaneous drafting, and the other phases can also be mostly simultaneous if everyone at the table trusts each other.) and it has just the right amount of depth to not be scary to most people who like lighter games. This is the perfect buy if you're looking for something to be able to play with your friends who think your collection is too heavy.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
A Feast for Odin was just delivered! Time to start punching cardboard and reading the whole extra Almanak.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I fuckin' love steampunk rally. There's enough strategy and hard choices to make it interesting, but the game overall feels light and fun. There are a few interactive cards but no real gently caress-yous, they're all either positive, affect everyone equally, or disadvantage players in the lead. There are lots of easy-to-find combos that feel really powerful and make you feel like you're breaking the game when you pull them off, while still being pretty well balanced with everything else.

You might have to go easy on people if you're experienced with the game and they aren't, though. It can be a bit discouraging to only be like a quarter of the way through the track when someone else finishes, even when that last three quarters is really only a single turn.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh yeah and I totally forgot the thing that actually made me decide to post about the game in the first place: A thing I really love about the game is that the rule-set is very flexible (and the designers have actively encouraged people on bgg to play the game any way works). I've played the game twice so far, and in my second game we decided that each player would be allowed to draw a card from a stack of their choice, in addition to a card from each stack for the drafting phase. I've also seen variants on bgg for an open draft from a pool of cards, or even auctioning (which seems un-fun to me but some people may like it). We also thought up a house rule for the "explosion" mechanic, because it seemed too arbitrary to simply move to the space behind the last player (we made it 1 space backwards + 1 for every player you're in front of). Unfortunately nobody ended up exploding ever :V. A thing I'm considering (but which might add un-needed complexity) is to make damage/armor less linear. Maybe make it so that you lose 1 machine part per point of damage, as in the rules, but only half of the damage taken goes away, making big bursts of damage extra punishing. Then there are varying levels of strict-ness regarding when you can rearrange the pieces of your machinery, or if you're allowed to do it at all. And finally a bit of pre-provided flexibility with the challenge tokens.

So yeah, great and flexible game, and I believe it earns its slot in basically any gamer's collection.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The other great thing about steampunk rally is that it's possible to play it with 8 people at once with not much extra game time, thanks to the simultaneous action system.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop: I teach in a business school and I just convinced my colleagues that to play 1846 and Food Chain Magnate with my students is A Good Idea.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The most clever bit of Steampunk Rally's design is that rolling high provides more benefit but also creates more burden, so "bad" rolls are easier to flush out thanks to the venting mechanic. I really like that. The variable map is also great to adjust game length if you don't have time for a full game. Really great game all around. Gonna have to play it tonight now.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

T-Bone posted:

It probably depends where you are though - they're in Indiana.

Nice! I'm in Chicago. Just got the shipment email, hopefully I have it by this weekend and I can force my girlfriend to play far too many games of it with me.