Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Painted up a beholder

Need to work a bit more on large eyes, but still happy.

Also I've decided it's canon that all beholders have one brown eye:

I like it! It is very crisp looking. The colors are very vibrant as well which I think works really well for the model. The chin on the beholder is something I never noticed before, reminds me of the eccentric French twins who died of covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

w00tmonger posted:

What are the top tier contrast paints I should have on hand? Looking to buy a bunch before the new lines come out.

The new lines arent replacing the old ones, theres not massive rush to get them before they disappear. Having said that;

Depends what you are painting a lot of. My most used; Wyldwood is a great dark brown, its wood, its leather, its brown cloth. Agaross Dunes is a very versatile tan, its pine wood, its a decent colour for sun bleached cloth, its blonde hair. Painted over metallic silver its a really nice burnished gold. The black one whose name I dont remember is now my go-to for black hair or cloth, or again over a silver for black metal. Skeleton Horde is... well its bones. Or paper/parchment. One of the fleshtones, kind of doesnt matter which one they aren't as different as I would like, its basically pale white skin, average white skin and slightly tanned white skin, but if you are painting white people they are handy to have.

Most of them are pretty good, but without knowing what you paint, those are the big hitters for me. Obviously if you paint a lot of figures in red coats with blue pants you might want to get their red and blues. The only one I've tried which I'd actively warn you off is Magos Purple, it looks lovely and deep but turns out its basically a thick translucent purple wash, an absolute waste of time I've wound up mainly using it for the gums and tongues of monsters and precious little else. Plague bearer flesh is sort of similar transparency-wise, but I used it to glaze over flesh to make it look unhealthy and necrotic so its had at least a bit more use, plus it and a green wash make a really nice yellow-green orc skin colour. I like the Iyanden yellow well enough for what it is, but I think one of the new yellows looks nicer personally so maybe hold off on that one. Apocathary white isnt bad as such, but it takes a lot of shaking and I kind of thing that doing a white undercoat/primer and using a pale grey wash would get pretty much the same effect. Still, if you are going to be doing a lot of white hair, white shirts or lab coats its pretty much fine.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does the new line come out today or tomorrow in stores?

In the UK I was told it was today, but also that they thought a lot of of their initial allocation would sell through immediately and if I wanted them I should pre-order. I did not preorder because gently caress it, they'll get more eventually and I'm not in a massive hurry. Plus there was a decent chance that was just a transparent pressure selling tactic.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Iyanden yellow pools so much you have to be prepared and ready to use that. If you want a cleaner or crisp yellow one of the new yellows looks like it would work better. Iyanden yellow's best use case would be for painting something an orange or lemon, like the fruit. I use Iyanden yellow for my alien spore plants and it looks really good there. It looks less good for Ironjawz or Imperial Fists.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Iyanden yellow pools so much you have to be prepared and ready to use that. If you want a cleaner or crisp yellow one of the new yellows looks like it would work better. Iyanden yellow's best use case would be for painting something an orange or lemon, like the fruit. I use Iyanden yellow for my alien spore plants and it looks really good there. It looks less good for Ironjawz or Imperial Fists.

Yeah, I'd say it makes a nice "dirty yellow cloth" but its kind of not good at being clean yellow cloth. So if you want your zombie to be wearing a yellow shirt its great, if you are wanting a yellow parade uniform then its a non-starter.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Should've named it Kislev Horsepiss

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like it! It is very crisp looking. The colors are very vibrant as well which I think works really well for the model. The chin on the beholder is something I never noticed before, reminds me of the eccentric French twins who died of covid.

Yeah, I like the old school beholders with less defined facial features or jaws. Just a big greasy lump of meat with teeth.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The greys are all pretty nice. Gryph Charger is green-grey, Space Wolves is blue-grey, and Basilicanum is neutral. It honestly works pretty well as a general shade that I don't really use nuln oil or want to use Black Templar.

Snakebite Leather is great for all things leather and for an easy gold over metallic. Wyldwood as mentioned above is great as well. I recommend thinning it though since it's intense. Gore-grunta is a nice warm brown that I quite like too.

I'm also a huge fan of Flesh Tearers mainly because I haven't found another contrast line that has a similar shade of red. Also really intense, but I really like the colour.

And of course a lot of people swear by Apothecary White. It just requires a lot of pot shaking.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

5th model painted since I started with minis. I'm far too self-conscious about the splattering when I started with Orange. I tried thinning the paints but... Reaper paints don't need it. Otherwise I think I did well with the color transition, and I bothered with filling in some highlights like the cockpit.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does the new line come out today or tomorrow in stores?

Just got back from my LGS and picked up too many. They're out today!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I subscribe to Broken Anvil's Patreon and they tend to do a lot of unconvential minis - like gun-toting penguins, or hobgoblin sky pirates with hang gliders. Part of the bundle in April was a few different beholder-style monsters.

I just felt like I had to paint the one that had major Handsome Squidward energy first.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you can get it, baal red is amazing

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Jobbo_Fett posted:

5th model painted since I started with minis. I'm far too self-conscious about the splattering when I started with Orange. I tried thinning the paints but... Reaper paints don't need it. Otherwise I think I did well with the color transition, and I bothered with filling in some highlights like the cockpit.

I actually really like that scheme, especially the transition. Looks like a Clan Hells Horses ace.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

In anticipation of an upcoming model: how would you paint melted armor? Black and/or brown washes, what else? The shoulder plate on my Praetor has a bunch of ragged cuts on the top crest that are supposed to let a cloak fit flush over it, but it also looks like the armor was melted by a plasma blast or something, so that's what I'm planning on doing with it. Done battle damage from regular guns before, but not energy weapons, and not totally sure how to sell the effect. (Fool that I am, I embarked on other new ideas on the same model as well, but those I think I have covered.) Got several other models in line ahead of it, not an immediate need to know, just planning ahead and all Google wanted to give was "molten power sword" and "how to paint armor".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can I get some direction, I've been staring at these for days without being able to decide what colors to do with them and it's heckin frustrating

Maybe purple for the cape of the robot but I don't know what to pick and it's preventing me from moving on

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can I get some direction, I've been staring at these for days without being able to decide what colors to do with them and it's heckin frustrating

Maybe purple for the cape of the robot but I don't know what to pick and it's preventing me from moving on

Whenever I see six or seven models I'm always tempted to paint them rainbow/ROYGBIV/ROYGBV (because gently caress Indigo what even is that). If they're an army though, it's fun to start with the neutrals and see what primaries you feel drawn to.

Tried oils for the first time today. It's super rare when something that is so overhyped that it's almost a meme actually holds up but yeah, they're incredible.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Placentaur posted:

Whenever I see six or seven models I'm always tempted to paint them rainbow/ROYGBIV/ROYGBV (because gently caress Indigo what even is that). If they're an army though, it's fun to start with the neutrals and see what primaries you feel drawn to.

Tried oils for the first time today. It's super rare when something that is so overhyped that it's almost a meme actually holds up but yeah, they're incredible.

They're not an army, but I was hoping for 3 primary colors or something

I watched a youtube and Ninjon was like "just pick the american flag colors, or some other flag, doesn't even have to be the same hues"

which I guess I could do but idk i don't really want to

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I watched a youtube and Ninjon was like "just pick the american flag colors, or some other flag, doesn't even have to be the same hues"

Maybe working from a fixed point is in order. For example, pick what you want osl/highlights to be, and work backwards using color theory to get the remainder of your palette.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Search whatever those models are on IG and just copy a color scheme you like or just use what you see as inspiration.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

As someone who did make use of the tinting properties of nuln oil, reikland fleshshade and drakenhof nightshade, is there a good replacement or equivalent now that they've reformulated?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Cthulu Carl posted:

Painted up a beholder

So handsome

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Left doggo should only have silver on the jaw, make it really pop out.

COBRA employee - Open jacket is screaming for a bright/contrasting color, like a red, yellow, maybe match it with knee pads? Color wheel the hair complementary to the jacket color chosen.

Robutt - Purple cape with some blue shades (blue/silver mix?) perhaps

Frogdog/Froggo(?) - Wet blend something with green

Guerilla - Leaning darker green outfit with red hat, a little generic, maybe. Either give the outfit (minus boots and gloves) one overall camouflage, or give the pouches a 2nd camo pattern.

Right Doggo - Vision lens red, black armor, maybe a vague police/ambulance logo on one of the plates. Pouches have medical supplies

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

pink, white, and blue.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Did a pillar, although it technically communicates what I intended it to it did not come out how I imagine it:

I really wanna redo this - it's a Reaper Bones...4? But I got it from a grab bag. If anyone can ID it, lemme know.

Anyway, did this guy. I was going for the Cursed City box art look but instead I got...meat man. I like him, but not the effect I wanted. Might do a dark wash on him to cover my shame.

And finally, I'm super proud of this guy. I did him slightly differently from my skeletons from earlier, and I think he looks mega dope:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sasha_d3ath posted:

And finally, I'm super proud of this guy. I did him slightly differently from my skeletons from earlier, and I think he looks mega dope:

Dope as gently caress

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I picked up a can of Rustoleum Dead Flat and it gave a pretty satin-y finish. I gave it a good two-minute shake but I’ll try shaking more next time.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
How would you guys paint white armour for a stormtrooper, without any fancy contrast or speed paints. I was thinking something along the lines of a grey to white zenithal with a dark wash then a either layering up or dry brushing up to a brighter white.

Well that's the plan when I start it. Is there a simpler way to do a tabletop standard white armour?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've been messing around with that Model Builder game on Steam, after it was on sale during the summer-sale. It's a fun little diversion, but I was surprised how far you can take things if you want to put the time in. You can just slap down autofill colors if you want, but there are a bunch of tools you can use to fairly accurately simulate a lot of the techniques and processes use in real model build. Washes, drybrushing, dual-action airbrushes, decals, texture effects, etc etc. There's a decent selection of vehicle, prop, and character models to mess with. The minis are particular interesting, since you can try out a lot of techniques on them. There's a barebones story there, but it's mostly there to point you in new directions from time to time. You can take on commissions, or just paint what you want how you want.

Nice bit of fun if you want to listen to a podcast and mess around with models, without dealing with the mess that goes along with modeling.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1164250/Model_Builder/ (looks like it's on sale again at Greenman Gaming)

(forgive the colors on that mecha, the colors were dictated by the commission)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decide to test out the new Imperial Fist contrast. I should stare that this was originally a blue coating in a few areas and then I re-primed it but didn’t quite get every area so the boot and leg is a more accurate representation as they never had any blue on them. You can see the blue on the shoulder bleeding through. That’s on me though not the paint, but honestly the color looks great and it probably is going to make doing fists easy. So as a one stop option for imperial fists getting a conditional approval from me.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I used some ratling grime for goffs armor panels today and was reasonably satisfied.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cthulu Carl posted:

Painted up a beholder

This beholder has a ton of character. Nice job!!!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

xpost from 40k

I botched the supergluing of the hands to the gun on this one, but the others are in sub-assembly and dry fitted so I'll be able to attach them much cleaner. 3 squads in and this is the first one that actually has guns beyond just some bolt pistols so it was fun to figure out colors for it. Happier with a more black scheme on the Havocs than the rest of my army, feels right for them. I also need to grab a much brighter shade of green for the eye lenses, the 2 that I have now aren't cutting it.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dope as gently caress

<3 <3

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Calhanol posted:

How would you guys paint white armour for a stormtrooper, without any fancy contrast or speed paints. I was thinking something along the lines of a grey to white zenithal with a dark wash then a either layering up or dry brushing up to a brighter white.

Well that's the plan when I start it. Is there a simpler way to do a tabletop standard white armour?

My go to is: prime grey, dry brush a couple thin layers of Ulthuan Grey, shade with a mixture of 7:1 Medium/ Drakenhoff Nightshade, rebase with Ulthuan x 2, edge highlight with 1:1 Ulthuan and your choice of white, extreme edge with white

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Trip report on new games workshop white spray that they have enhanced: It does seem to have gotten even better. It is slightly more bright and has a little more pop. Is it worth 22? Well, if you were going to buy GW before/anyway it is a nice upgrade. I also purchased a can of Rustoleum flat white that was advertised as "2x the amount" for about 5 dollars. It looks like the 5 dollar can will do about 3 times as much as the GW can, but is not as user friendly and has a higher tendency to splatter or spurt. I also think I have pinpointed why GW primers are so often thought of as the best, it is harder to overspray them compared to non model rattle cans. This is actually really helpful when you are trying to get a nook or cranny, or an upward angle to get under a hood or something, you are not reducing detail. If I had to make a recommendation it would be to have one GW can and use it for ultra detailed heroes or monsters, or maybe even troops, and then use standard primer for terrain or low detail items.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

White Scars player/painter here. My current method for doing white (and I've done this on Stormtroopers also) is to airbrush Stynlrez white (but really any pure crisp white would work just as well), then take some dark brown or black enamel wash (AK or MiG Engine Grime or Streaking Grime) and coat the entire loving model in that poo poo; like slather it on, let it sit for a few minutes and then take a qtip with some white spirit and mop up the majority of it. Done.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Every time i was playing at my local shop, the omnissiah's talon box tormented me. Skitarii looked like so much fun to paint, and they are!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

Every time i was playing at my local shop, the omnissiah's talon box tormented me. Skitarii looked like so much fun to paint, and they are!

Those look great! I am also doing my Admech in purple.

Here is a link to extra admech bodies with the cloaks closed instead of open. The style is somewhat irrelevant, but if you kept your bits from the skitarii box this extension kit for 25 bucks gives you enough bodies to make 10 more guys with your leftover bits.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/902430..._search_click=1

The store also has a bunch of great admech models in alternative poses/gender. Be warned though that aside from one or two of the female sculpts the rest are all topless and don't seem very fitting.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SkyeAuroline posted:

In anticipation of an upcoming model: how would you paint melted armor? Black and/or brown washes, what else? The shoulder plate on my Praetor has a bunch of ragged cuts on the top crest that are supposed to let a cloak fit flush over it, but it also looks like the armor was melted by a plasma blast or something, so that's what I'm planning on doing with it. Done battle damage from regular guns before, but not energy weapons, and not totally sure how to sell the effect. (Fool that I am, I embarked on other new ideas on the same model as well, but those I think I have covered.) Got several other models in line ahead of it, not an immediate need to know, just planning ahead and all Google wanted to give was "molten power sword" and "how to paint armor".

I'm no expert but lots of silvery metallics where it's melted, dull rust-colored mottled blobs for melted slag around the edges, then a rainbow of other metallics to show heat effects of oxidizing (look up oxides of titanium for an especially brilliant example) on the unmelted but affected armor. If the armor has painted color, maybe do a scorch effect with a dusting of black around the edges to show burned paint

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Advice wanted!

I've got this here big ol' robot man.

I don't think he's finished just yet, but I'm also not sure where to go to make it pop some more or to add some interest. Any tips on how to take it further?

Also, I'm using Tamiya weathering sets that I picked up recently. I didn't realize how waxy they were, I was thinking they'd be more of a loose pigment. Do you think it would be possible to mash them up or grind them up to make them more like a pure pigment type of product or are they totally different?