Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The hardware mute on my desk mic makes a big ol’ clack on recordings because the manufacturer Muntzed it.

We were trained to press the button while the idiot rear end in a top hat valued customer was talking so they wouldn’t hear the very obvious mute disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mister Facetious posted:

I used one of those the one year i did tech support. The mute button definitely works. Lord knows i used it to laugh at customers' ignorance often enough.

f5 networks enterprise support, how may i troubleshoot your cisco switch's bullshit for you

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a neat story

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IoT is poo poo and fucks people over.

Must be Tuesday.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just lmao at anyone stupid enough to use a smart home service that dies if it can't contact a server outside the home

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Once again, IoT proves the "printer and a handgun in case it makes a noise I don't recognize" movement correct.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Was their tagline seriously "We're keeping the lights on"? Because that is hilariously on the nose.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Now just think, if it were all blockchain based this never would have happened!!

(because it would have been a much more transparent scam)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What do you guys think of this?

Researchers develop plastic with the power to self-repair

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14586016

quote:

Researchers said they have found a way to create “self-repairing plastics” that can be used in smartphones, cars and other products and reduce the amount of waste now fouling the planet.

Takuzo Aida, a chemistry professor at the University of Tokyo, and his colleagues said a tiny amount of a specialized agent mixed into ordinary plastic can automatically heal cracks and fissures.

Their findings were presented at the annual conference of the Chemical Society of Japan on March 26.

“The technique could lead to the development of a sustainable made-to-last plastic that does not need to be discarded or recycled,” Aida said.

In 2018, Aida and others used a substance called polyether thiourea to create a plastic material that can mend damage on its own if its fragments are pressed against each other at room temperature.

For the latest research, the team applied the same plastic material to another plastic ingredient with no self-repair function at a rate of 20 percent.

I think this sounds really promising but I also wonder if now we've just invented an even more stubborn and non biodegradable material. Toys, phones, computers, cars, etc. become obsolete and people WILL throw that poo poo in the trash.

I suppose the idea is that this almost replaces recycling for plastic and we'd just use this stuff with its own separate sort of recycling facility. Not sure if it's safe to use for bottles and packaging food or if it can be made into bags and poo poo like that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BiggerBoat posted:

I think this sounds really promising but I also wonder if now we've just invented an even more stubborn and non biodegradable material. Toys, phones, computers, cars, etc. become obsolete and people WILL throw that poo poo in the trash.

I suppose the idea is that this almost replaces recycling for plastic and we'd just use this stuff with its own separate sort of recycling facility. Not sure if it's safe to use for bottles and packaging food or if it can be made into bags and poo poo like that.

The article says nothing of biodegradability, so we're just making longer lasting plastic that clumps like cat litter. Seems like we should just stop using plastic in as many places as possible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “specialized agent” sounds like a plasticizer.

I have my doubts that it is safe as mother’s milk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

That's trade secret, can't talk about it! No sir!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The article says nothing of biodegradability, so we're just making longer lasting plastic that clumps like cat litter. Seems like we should just stop using plastic in as many places as possible.

That was my initial reaction to it as well. I started trying to think deeper about it and picturing this stuff winding up being reused - or at least more than the 9% rate that regular plastics do anyway - but then I started thinking about an ever growing Katamari Damacy ball of self healing plastic that would eventually form its own county. I think it would almost require its own level of infrastructure and that seems impossible.

Also, if it bonds, merges with itself and self heals at room temperature, how do stack or group items that are built from it? Like if you put your phone in the center console or a thermos in your cup holder, does that poo poo bond together overnight? And I'd imagine this would rule out packaging as well since everything on a shipping palette or a shelf display would just fuse together. Picturing the contents of a 6 year old kid's toy box as this giant stuck together Lovecraftian 75 pound mass of transformers, legos, star wars figures and hot wheels tracks.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a science news piece about a paper some local professor is publishing without a link to the paper. Therefore, it is automatically overhyped bullshit pulled directly from a uni PR office press release. If you actually found the paper, I guarantee it would be making much more modest claims with clear examples of research having done this years ago and problems still needed to be ironed out in development.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, this is like looking at a 3D printer and thinking that Star Trek style replicators are right around the corner.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

I have news for you about mother's milk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Funko Pops but even more immortal

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Splicer posted:

Funko Pops but even more Cronenburgian

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Out: Hack the Planet
In: JB-Weld the Planet

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Can't wait for the ocean to be covered in a sheet of plastic the size of an island instead of covered in trillions of pieces of plastic the size of an island.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

poemdexter posted:

Can't wait for the ocean to be covered in a sheet of plastic the size of an island instead of covered in trillions of pieces of plastic the size of an island.

I mean that sounds like it'd be easier to clean up. Just drag it in and fold it up!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

I mean that sounds like it'd be easier to clean up. Just drag it in and fold it up!

Just gotta get it before they try to setup crypto miners on New Sealand and turn it into Swiss cheese.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure lack of durability is the thing causing us to throw most plastic out so much as being addicted to buying poo poo we don’t need and the convenience of single-use plastic.

We could just use existing containers over and over like they do with glass coke bottles in some developing countries, but we can’t be bothered and they’re not as shiny (or rather companies have no incentive to).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

lua posted:

Not sure lack of durability is the thing causing us to throw most plastic out so much as being addicted to buying poo poo we don’t need and the convenience of single-use plastic.

We could just use existing containers over and over like they do with glass coke bottles in some developing countries, but we can’t be bothered and they’re not as shiny (or rather companies have no incentive to).

Local produce place has a juice bar and they sell it in the heavy milk bottles you would see 40 years ago.

But they won’t take returns and they don’t wash & reuse.

Citing some unknown regulation.

(Jimbos, Carlsbad CA).

Really F-Ing Stupid.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
those bottles arent actual 40 years old and were bought in bulk from whereever

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I don't think that's what he was saying

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhazonLink posted:

those bottles arent actual 40 years old and were bought in bulk from whereever

They are new, but they look just like and are as heavy as the old returnable milk bottles.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-canada-netflix-inc-abd9845644a87b434e53c1c13bbb377a

It's a shame that Netflix seems to be entering into it's death spiral, I always thought they had the best UI/performance but losing content and subscribers, raising prices, and password crackdowns? Yikes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

roffles posted:

https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-canada-netflix-inc-abd9845644a87b434e53c1c13bbb377a

It's a shame that Netflix seems to be entering into it's death spiral, I always thought they had the best UI/performance but losing content and subscribers, raising prices, and password crackdowns? Yikes.

Capitalism means profits must always be increasing. If you can't make more money than you did last year, your business is a failure and everyone jumps ship.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Capitalism means profits must always be increasing. If you can't make more money than you did last year, your business is a failure and everyone jumps ship.

And in pursuit of that you start panic cancelling shows after 2 seasons, killing what little brand loyalty you had and making your customers think of you as just another service to sign up for and cancel every X months. Same thing as Fox canceling shows like crazy then wondering why their new shows had poo poo ratings.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Netflix lost its mojo when they started cracking down on VPN content tourism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I work at a safe house for women and children who are survivors of domestic abuse. I work the night shift. A couple of months ago it was cold and snowy out and it's just 2 of us women working alone for the whole safe shelter. Well one night my coworker went to do her regular check around the shelter and took her walkie with her. I was in the office doing paperwork, tending to clients and watching the security cameras.

Please note that there are security cameras literally everywhere around this building for the protection of our clients and staff. A lot of the women staying here are victims of HT, SA, DV, abuse by violent criminals/gangs/females/men/etc. This includes abusers even in law enforcement and other professional authorities. There is a completely gated playground for the children, all doors only open by key card and each entry has double doors. Camera cover each angle and entry of the building. Cameras are everywhere except for bedrooms and bathrooms.

We rely heavily on our internet (for incoming crisis calls but we do have a generator and work cellphones that will ring if the main phones/internet goes out). We also rely heavily on the internet for our CAMERAS. Well, this annoying snowwy night sent the power to go out about 7 times, and the internet was out for the night. This was for half of the city. My coworker was still doing a shelter check so I walkied her as I had last seen her in an elevator on the cameras. Thankfully she was okay and she was off of the elevator and made it back to the office. The lights came back on but the security cameras did not and the phone lines didn't either. I spent hours trying to get the internet and phone lines back on calling multiple companies but nothing worked so we depended on the cell phones for the crisis calls which was not the problem.

The cameras.

Recently we had about three of our clients who had serious abusers who had been stalking the safe house property recently or had been on the run with warrants out for their arrest. We had recently had cautions to be careful while coming into work and to watch out for each other and keep an extra eye on cameras due to spotting abusers on property and having women being threatened by phone calls and text messages that they were going to be found and killed. So not having the cameras to be able to see around the building was devastatingly scary. We spent the whole night doing extra shelter checks, looking out the windows, informing the police to do extra rounds around the neighborhood since our cameras were down.

Thankfully we had no issues for the whole night but it was definitely very creepy and a scary moment feeling unprotective and vulnerable for a moment. The whole building was still 1,000% secure we just couldn't see that's all. The internet came back about 9 hours later thankfully! All of our stuff and the women are safe and thankfully 3 months later most of those abusers/criminals have been arrested.

Safety-critical equipment should not rely on an Internet connexion.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It's incredibly odd not to have the control system be in house and then things get mirrored off-site.

It does sound like they use cheaper cloud cameras instead of a purpose built system, considering the cost and upkeep that might be why. My friend volunteered at the local woman shelter and they barely made ends meet, let alone could afford upgrades like that or have people trained on it. Most shelters rely on people gifting them stuff like that or having someone that donates the time and equipment to set it up. I'm honestly not surprised if they went for a cloud system that was a total of 1k with a monthly cost (that likely was negligible to them as a non profit) compared to a several k system they had to setup and support.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

roffles posted:

It was inevitable. As long as other companies avoided streaming Netflix had a captive audience and their pick of content. Now there's a billion choices and Netflix has no edge other than being the first. I saw the writing on the wall way back when they lost the Starz content.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Once again piracy is the best.

insert that Lazy Town pro pirate song meme here.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/SamMorrisDesign/status/1517157199985975296?s=20&t=vqYpr-uV8y3xquezFLZp9Q

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Calling it a "dark pattern" is quite the euphemism. I'm pretty sure that at least where I live the consent qualifies as a contract. And deceiving people about the contents of a contract…well, we have a word for that.

Basically, web devs should be in prison for this and other offenses.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, there are a lot of cheeky attempts to try and trick people into giving consent against their will. Especially early on right after the passage of the GDPR, some cheeky fuckers only gave you a list of their 100+ advertisers and you'd have to manually click and opt out of them one at a time. However, the legal guidelines are actually quite clear on it: opting out must be as quick and easy to do as opting in, and obviously cannot be deceptive. Most of the common plugins manage it at this point, but there are still some that expect you to go through several screens to opt out. And of course there are still some US sites that outright go "Well if you don't let us dump a hundred trackers on you, we just won't let you use our site at all!"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Antigravitas posted:

Basically, web devs should be in prison for this and other offenses.

leave astral alone <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, there are a lot of cheeky attempts to try and trick people into giving consent against their will. Especially early on right after the passage of the GDPR, some cheeky fuckers only gave you a list of their 100+ advertisers and you'd have to manually click and opt out of them one at a time. However, the legal guidelines are actually quite clear on it: opting out must be as quick and easy to do as opting in, and obviously cannot be deceptive. Most of the common plugins manage it at this point, but there are still some that expect you to go through several screens to opt out. And of course there are still some US sites that outright go "Well if you don't let us dump a hundred trackers on you, we just won't let you use our site at all!"
So many regional news sites absolutely livid about not being able to collect my data.