Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So last night someone added 20 rubles to my steam wallet, which is very much not local currency or something I have ordered. Should I be worried? I've shot steam support an email just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

So last night someone added 20 rubles to my steam wallet, which is very much not local currency or something I have ordered. Should I be worried? I've shot steam support an email just in case.

Did you sell a thing on the market? When Steam lists market transactions it lists the incoming funds in the currency the other person paid in. Currently the ruble is worth about two shits in a leaky bag, so 20 rubles is probably 8 of your smallest denomination or whatever you sold a card for.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

20 rubles is about 0.3$. You can buy some games on RU Steam for that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yes, you should be.

Seriously. I'm pretty sure we discussed some exploit that involved adding rubles to someone's steam wallet and thus shutting down their ability to trade and buy stuff just a few months ago. I can't quite find the last steam thread, but it was in there somewhere.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Russian economy affects us all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Xander77 posted:

Yes, you should be.

Seriously. I'm pretty sure we discussed some exploit that involved adding rubles to someone's steam wallet and thus shutting down their ability to trade and buy stuff just a few months ago. I can't quite find the last steam thread, but it was in there somewhere.

You can add money to random Steam accounts with kiosks in Russia. Then they open a support ticket saying they added money to the wrong account and you're locked out of buying anything for 2 months.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Good god Bioshock Infinite with the DLC is 40 Gigawatts big.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

You can add money to random Steam accounts with kiosks in Russia. Then they open a support ticket saying they added money to the wrong account and you're locked out of buying anything for 2 months.
What's the point though? Just to gently caress somebody over?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

adamarama posted:

What's the point of anything anyone does online? Yup.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Also, I'd like to hear from someone who enjoys Assassin's Creed's combat. Because it's always been awkward and janky to me. Give me Batman/Mordor combat or give me Revengeance. Not poorly timed counter bullshit dictated by longass boring animations.
Hi, I enjoy the combat in AC games.
It's not because of it being, you know, good gameplay though. I enjoy it because while AC has a lot of faults the animation quality and uhm creative methods of slaughter have always been good.
There is just something fun about how deadly and brutal the animations are, especially when they string together in big packs.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I decided to finally boot up BlazBlue, since it's been gathering dust in my library since who knows when. Apparently I have to agree to this EULA :ohdear:

:downs::respek::steam:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
BlazBlue is cool but the first game has no online on PC and apparently is balanced like poo poo and you have to go out of your way to unlock the awesome instant kill finishing moves that you have by default in the later games and only like twenty loving people including me ever play Continuum Shift Extend online on Steam because of a bunch of bullshit and it being an outdated entry in the series.

I wish ArcSys could just release a solid port of an up-to-date entry in a series that actually gains some kind of playerbase on Steam, and not one of the most outdated revisions of Guilty Gear XX that they just had a PC port of lying around.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I just picked up Geometry Wars 3 having never played one of them before. It's easy enough to survive, it's not hard to shoot htings and collect gems, but I'm always way under the target score for levels. Any advice?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

adamarama posted:

да

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

Good god Bioshock Infinite with the DLC is 40 Gigawatts big.

Get used to it, there are plenty of games that are bigger by themselves now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm starting to think its some ploy to get people to buy the console versions.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

I'm starting to think its some ploy to get people to buy the console versions.

Not a ploy, just laziness/cost economy on the part of the devs.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Drifter posted:

Haha, ok, sure man.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Drifter posted:

I'm really sorry that Blu-Rays exist.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What are you guys even trying to argue with me about?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Drifter posted:

What are you guys even trying to argue with me about?

Nothing, you obviously know a lot about developing a huge AAA game so I wouldn't dream of arguing with you. Lazy devs. Yep.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pentaro posted:

I decided to finally boot up BlazBlue, since it's been gathering dust in my library since who knows when. Apparently I have to agree to this EULA :ohdear:

:downs::respek::steam:

I agree to ACTION

Drifter posted:

:agreed:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

mutata posted:

Nothing, you obviously know a lot about developing a huge AAA game so I wouldn't dream of arguing with you. Lazy devs. Yep.

Max Payne 3 and Force Unleashed 1 & 2 kinda point to this

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I just wish I had better download options than just 2.5mb download. :smith: Games are getting larger but ISPs aren't getting better.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

I just picked up Geometry Wars 3 having never played one of them before. It's easy enough to survive, it's not hard to shoot htings and collect gems, but I'm always way under the target score for levels. Any advice?
Wait until the 31st, they're releasing a big free expansion that, among lots of additions, changes the requirements so its easier to proceed.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

mutata posted:

It only takes the most dedicated of devs to put 35Gb of uncompressed wavs in their game. Yep.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 21, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Games get bigger over time and this should be shocking to no one. The growth of game install sizes has actually slowed down considerably, even taking into account the 40GB monsters out there.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, uncompressed video and sound are the big culprits. Before disc sizes got bigger they used to compress that poo poo now they don't which is why game sizes are ballooning in size.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

duckfarts posted:

There have been like twenty other games with large filesizes of varying quality released in the last year or two, don't cherrypick to prove your point.

The major leading consoles use Blu-Ray now, and video game sizes are going to take advantage of that since they don't have to cater to the 360 having a DVD drive anymore. Don't blame "lazy devs," blame your lovely American ISP.

e: also lol at saying Rockstar is a "lazy dev" even if you don't like their games

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A really good example is Titanfall, which is 50 gigs of bloat. MGSR Revengeance and Valkyria Chronicles are also huge on PC because they were lazy on that end.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Pirate Jet posted:

e: also lol at saying Rockstar is a "lazy dev" even if you don't like their games
Uh what? Pretty much every rockstar PC release has been lazy as hell. They even broke their LA Noire social club and didn't bother patching it unless you happened to get an updated version of it from another game of theirs.

I don't feel strongly about them in any direction but their ports are the laziest poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There's really no good reason not to compress cutscenes/audio besides sheer :effort:.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

There have been like twenty other games with large filesizes of varying quality released in the last year or two, don't cherrypick to prove your point.

The major leading consoles use Blu-Ray now, and video game sizes are going to take advantage of that since they don't have to cater to the 360 having a DVD drive anymore. Don't blame "lazy devs," blame your lovely American ISP.

Like some devs, I'm too lazy to bother going through recent games. As for file size, I agree that large games are an inevitability, though it can certainly be an impediment to sales(refer to Australian bandwidth caps).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GTA4 was a notoriously bad PC port.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zedd posted:

Hi, I enjoy the combat in AC games.
It's not because of it being, you know, good gameplay though. I enjoy it because while AC has a lot of faults the animation quality and uhm creative methods of slaughter have always been good.
There is just something fun about how deadly and brutal the animations are, especially when they string together in big packs.

This is exactly it for me as well. It's not as satisfying as the combat in the Batman Arkham games, but the animations are often so hilariously over-the-top and brutal there's a certain satisfaction in fighting a group off while looking good doing it.

Especially the variety of animations for different weapons in the series, and for all its faults I dearly miss AC3's tomahawk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L95sxzjIso

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
AC unity: over 60 gb .

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

theultimo posted:

AC unity: over 60 gb .

Yo quit cherry-picking file sizes based on what developers I lo...*checks notebook*

Go on

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts posted:

Max Payne 3 was so big due to their choice of using uncompressed video. Whether that had any actual benefit I do not know, but it's a valid reason since I'm sure they'd be someone on the internet bitching about Max's face having a distortion for 15 frames near his eyebrow and how you should never buy a rockstar product again because

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

it's been like a year and a half since GTA5 came out and it's still not on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

saucepanman posted:

Whether that had any actual benefit I do not know
The kind of video format Max 3 uses, BIK, was typically used during the PS360 era because it took very little CPU power to decompress and play, meaning you could load data in the background while the video plays.

Granted, Max 3 locks you in the unskippable cutscene AFTER it's done loading what it needs to, but the theory is sound.

• Locked thread