Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
My long-serving HTC M8 got nicked last night.

Are HTC making any decent phones at the moment that would be a suitable replacement? Or am I just better off going for Pixel 1 or 2 (or Xperia XZ1 it looks like from the thread)?
I always liked their all-metal design + dual good speakers combo, but if they've really fallen behind the pack there's probably no point not going for a Pixel.

e: looking at Amazon, seems the Samsung's S8 and S7 are going relatively cheap at the moment... any particular reasons not to pick up one of them instead??

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If anyone wants the most minimal case possible for the Pixel 2 XL, basically just to add grip and protect the back and sides from scratches, the Bear Motion case is the way to go.

Mine just arrived this morning and it's just ever so thinner than the Spigen Thin Fit, but most importantly, doesn't try to offer any screen protection. That may sound silly, but it keeps it from catching the edge of your finger while swiping and it's not a dust collection channel. Yeah, it really provides no drop protection unless it lands on the back, but you actually get to enjoy the design of the 2.5d glass.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

If anyone wants the most minimal case possible for the Pixel 2 XL, basically just to add grip and protect the back and sides from scratches, the Bear Motion case is the way to go.

Mine just arrived this morning and it's just ever so thinner than the Spigen Thin Fit, but most importantly, doesn't try to offer any screen protection. That may sound silly, but it keeps it from catching the edge of your finger while swiping and it's not a dust collection channel. Yeah, it really provides no drop protection unless it lands on the back, but you actually get to enjoy the design of the 2.5d glass.

Can you link the exact one you're talking about? I've got a normal Pixel 2, but a Spigen Thin Fit without raised edges around the screen is exactly what I want.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RVProfootballer posted:

Can you link the exact one you're talking about? I've got a normal Pixel 2, but a Spigen Thin Fit without raised edges around the screen is exactly what I want.

This is it, but I don't know if the edges are as low on the normal pixel one since it doesn't have the 2.5d glass. There are some user pictures in there though.

https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Case-Google-Pixel-Premium/dp/B076NNQ5S5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512317899&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+motion+pixel+2

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You liking the Pixel so far? I have had pretty good results with the Nexus phones so I was thinking of going that way. Also the Moto G 5th gen is not in stock at Amazon right now, so I'm going to have to go with something quicker. Might hit up a used shop around here.

I'm loving the pixel, it's basically everything i like about the nexus 5x but a little better and more updated. It's also almost exactly the same form factor.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

This is it, but I don't know if the edges are as low on the normal pixel one since it doesn't have the 2.5d glass. There are some user pictures in there though.

https://www.amazon.com/Slim-Case-Google-Pixel-Premium/dp/B076NNQ5S5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512317899&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+motion+pixel+2

Thanks, and I see what you mean. Still, looks decent, so I'll give it a shot.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

El Grillo posted:

e: looking at Amazon, seems the Samsung's S8 and S7 are going relatively cheap at the moment... any particular reasons not to pick up one of them instead??

Samsung.

I'm coming from a One A9 and the U11 looks real nice to me. I probably would have been happy with it, but I just went with the Pixel 2 for the slightly better (and much faster) camera.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

I'm coming from a One A9 and the U11 looks real nice to me. I probably would have been happy with it, but I just went with the Pixel 2 for the slightly better (and much faster) camera.
U11 looks nice, I just don't know what the gently caress all this squeezing the phone business is about... sounds incredibly dumb.
Also no idea why they're adding Alexa to it, and I don't know whether I can uninstall that (or any of the other bloatware poo poo which HTC will put on there, which I guess is less prevalent on the Pixel).

Guess I'll head into a shop tomorrow and take a mosey round!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

alnilam posted:

I'm loving the pixel, it's basically everything i like about the nexus 5x but a little better and more updated. It's also almost exactly the same form factor.

Yeah I'm looking more into it and I think I go for a used Pixel or even a new Pixel 2. That camera is really nice.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a way on my new S8+ to double tap a lock screen notification and have it open to that app? That's what I'm used to from my Nexus 6P.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the consensus on the official Pixel 2 cloth cases? I've got that $100 store credit coming to me for buying a Pixel 2 and that coral case looks awesome, but I wonder if they're shoddily made.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the consensus on the official Pixel 2 cloth cases? I've got that $100 store credit coming to me for buying a Pixel 2 and that coral case looks awesome, but I wonder if they're shoddily made.

I have heard a lot of good reviews about them which basically led me to purchasing one for my XL2 without even considering other cases. It arrives this coming week, so no first hand impressions yet

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way on my new S8+ to double tap a lock screen notification and have it open to that app? That's what I'm used to from my Nexus 6P.

It does this from the AOD, or from the lockscreen you swipe down then tap once.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Khablam posted:

It does this from the AOD, or from the lockscreen you swipe down then tap once.

Ok but can't just double tap on the lockscreen?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Decent quality but quite slippery.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tunga posted:

Decent quality but quite slippery.

You know the solution to that problem.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

You know the solution to that problem.

Dip it to a bag of flour?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Put it in the freezer?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ihmemies posted:

As someone that actually works in a bakery, it can easily make it more likely to slip.

Flour is a pain in the rear end with glass and polished aluminum sides. TPU and silicone all the way.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bread crumbs then

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

alnilam posted:

Bread crumbs then

They won't stick without a liquid. :eng101: The double-dredge method gives the best results.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Now I'm waiting for the next KFC gimmick to be a deep fried chicken patty phone case

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Is there somewhere you can check a Pixel's warranty status?

I bought an unused Pixel XL on Swappa. But it's too bulky for me and I can't get used to the size of the thing. So I'm going to sell it, now slightly used, and cut my losses. However I've got someone asking me what the warranty status is on the phone. I admit I didn't look into this much before I bought the thing. Doing some searching now, it seems like Google will only honor the warranty if you have original proof of purchase. That seems a little shocking to me since a phone is tracked by it's own identification. There's no why they don't know the exact date it was sold and the first second it was activated. Anyone know the truth of that? I kind of assumed the default 1 year protection just followed the device.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

kitten smoothie posted:

Now I'm waiting for the next KFC gimmick to be a deep fried chicken patty phone case

Why wait?

https://www.amazon.com/Meerkat-Fried-Chicken-Phone-iPhone/dp/B01DJ6TGWO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This is me going "that's so stupid, I bet it exists" and not being wrong.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Uthor posted:

Why wait?

https://www.amazon.com/Meerkat-Fried-Chicken-Phone-iPhone/dp/B01DJ6TGWO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

"Works as a kick stand" I lost it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Is there somewhere you can check a Pixel's warranty status?

Can't help you there but I will say that Google is super weird about 2nd+ owners of their hardware.

I seem to remember a support page straight up saying the Chromebook Pixel was only warranted to the original buyer. Any future owner is up the creek with zero warranty. In fact, I bought a 2nd hand Chromebook Pixel (1st gen) years ago...had an issue with it and Google support straight up told me to go away since I didn't have access to the original buyer's email address. I escalated it over the course of a week and they finally gave in and replaced it, but it was a weird process. I don't know why there were so angry about covering hardware that they made (i.e. there was no manufacturer to turn to).

I don't know how/why they seem to think the original buyer is treated to a hardware warranty. It's like they view a product's warranty is actually issued to a person and the product itself has no warranty. It's weird and I'm not even sure it's legal, but whatever.

8th owner of an Apple product? You have the balance of the warranty because.....the product itself has a warranty, not the human being. Novel concept!

The only sure-fire way to be assured a warranty on a Pixel phone is to buy a 2nd hand one with Google Protect as it's easily transferable.

My guess is they will send you to HTC, which will send you to Google. Rinse, repeat. Good luck.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Thanks, that's matching what I'm reading. seems odd. Apparently though you can just go into google support chat on the device, and they'll list a date for the end of the warranty. No idea if they'd honor that if I actually tried to claim anything.

Anyway just found out that my "new" pixel XL is warrantied through February 2018, so, guessing now that I'm taking a bath on the resale on this thing. It definitely seems new, or at least it's super clean. Guessing this was a replacement device for something else. I've bought used off of Swappa before, never really gave any thought to possible extra issues around buying new. Should have done more homework.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Why wait?

:wtc:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Epoxy and some silicon carbide.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Epoxy and some silicon carbide.

Pls do not dox my lunch

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

KingKapalone posted:

Ok but can't just double tap on the lockscreen?
I don't think so

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

El Grillo posted:

U11 looks nice, I just don't know what the gently caress all this squeezing the phone business is about... sounds incredibly dumb.
Also no idea why they're adding Alexa to it, and I don't know whether I can uninstall that (or any of the other bloatware poo poo which HTC will put on there, which I guess is less prevalent on the Pixel).

Guess I'll head into a shop tomorrow and take a mosey round!

While they may be Google phones, HTC did make the Pixel 1's and the smaller Pixel 2. Also while the squeeze of the U11 may sound gimmicky, dialed in with custom functions actually works extremely well in practice. Mine is set to Flashlight and its great to just squeeze to turn on from completely screen off, and then squeeze again to turn it off without having to turn the phone on at all. Also you can adjust the strength of the squeeze to keep from making accidental squeezes.

The Pixel 2s have something similar, but currently don't offer much customization yet. I hope that changes in the long run the same as the U11 which also started with limited customization, then now offers a ton.

Also the U11 offers comparable battery life to a Pixel 2. Not quite as good as my Pixel 2xl, but I could see it being on par with the smaller one.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I, too, thought the squeeze feature on the Pixel wouldn't be much but I use it all the time for Google Assistant. It'd be nice to be able to customize it down the line but I don't see myself using it for anything besides Google Assistant.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I would love to be able to customize it to do other stuff, it launching the flashlight or the camera would be much more useful to me than the assistant.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So my one plus 3t updated to Android 8.0 and now the camera app crashes if I try to do a photo sphere.

Any ideas other than doing a system reset? I'd prefer not to as I'm in another country at the moment.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

While they may be Google phones, HTC did make the Pixel 1's and the smaller Pixel 2. Also while the squeeze of the U11 may sound gimmicky, dialed in with custom functions actually works extremely well in practice. Mine is set to Flashlight and its great to just squeeze to turn on from completely screen off, and then squeeze again to turn it off without having to turn the phone on at all. Also you can adjust the strength of the squeeze to keep from making accidental squeezes.

The Pixel 2s have something similar, but currently don't offer much customization yet. I hope that changes in the long run the same as the U11 which also started with limited customization, then now offers a ton.

Also the U11 offers comparable battery life to a Pixel 2. Not quite as good as my Pixel 2xl, but I could see it being on par with the smaller one.
Thanks for this man. How is the U11 for bloatware? I guess it's less of a problem than on my last one which only had 16gigs internal memory lol but it was certainly frustrating having a boatload of idiotic crap I couldn't remove. Par for the course I know but it might be an incentive to go for Pixel instead.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

hmmxkrazee posted:

I, too, thought the squeeze feature on the Pixel wouldn't be much but I use it all the time for Google Assistant. It'd be nice to be able to customize it down the line but I don't see myself using it for anything besides Google Assistant.

I would use it for the camera.

On another note, has there been a consensus on the Pixel 2 XL screen? Has it been accepted that the tint thing was just a bad batch, or just overblown by the tech blogs? Is it still a major concern?

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 4, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I would use it for the camera.

Why? You can just double-tap the power button to open the camera. Volume button takes a picture.

I guess I'm the only non-convert on the squeezable sides. I ended up just turning it off. The last straw was when clamping it down in my car mount was causing it to trigger, even at lower sensitivities.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Magnetic mounts are best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Magnetic mounts are best

I agree. It was awesome when the Nexus 5 had the magnets built in. Loved using that. Unfortunately, I don't use a case so a magnetic mount hasn't worked for me since the 5x.