Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think it sucks that everyone works so hard for so little while rich people and landlords take every penny you have.

It sucks because I think all things and all people are, instead, property of The State. Rich people are being allowed to forget that they too are property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's a weird take to think that the kind of maintenance a medieval peasant would have to do, and the social units they lived in are 1:1 comparable to modern ones. Being a peasant sucked, but in a different way to how being a single guy working retail does also suck.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Aramek posted:

I think it sucks that everyone works so hard for so little while rich people and landlords take every penny you have.

It sucks because I think all things and all people are, instead, property of The State. Rich people are being allowed to forget that they too are property.

I hope this isn't an unpopular opinion but I know that it would make some people really mad in some parts of the internet.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Disco Pope posted:

It's a weird take to think that the kind of maintenance a medieval peasant would have to do, and the social units they lived in are 1:1 comparable to modern ones. Being a peasant sucked, but in a different way to how being a single guy working retail does also suck.

I work retail. I’d take it in a heartbeat over being a subsistence farmer any day of the week.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
We tried people as property before.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

thetoughestbean posted:

I work retail. I’d take it in a heartbeat over being a subsistence farmer any day of the week.

Sure, but I'm not implying it's a competition. Things can suck but differently.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Disco Pope posted:

Sure, but I'm not implying it's a competition. Things can suck but differently.

While I agree that they are fundamentally different experiences, I think that we know enough about what life was like for the average peasant to qualitatively call it a worse experience.

I find people trying to say that the present is the worst time to be alive (the subtext of people who argue that feudalism was less exploitative than capitalism—an argument disputed by Marx) to be quite myopic. For goodness sake, this isn’t even the most exploitative period of capitalism!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should unban Agesilaus so he can weigh in here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

docbeard posted:

It's really just that people did spend half the year pursuing their hobbies, but their hobbies were also pretty much just farm work because there was nothing fun to do in Ye Olden Days.
There was cheese and beer and music. What else do you need?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

There was cheese and beer and music. What else do you need?

The music was dogshit

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

thetoughestbean posted:

The people who believe that life was better as a medieval peasant than today as an office worker or service worker are breathtakingly stupid. I think they need to take a break from the media sources which are feeding their persecution complex.

Along the same vein, the people who have mysterious/intangible beefs with industrial agriculture and call for a return to subsistence farming are also SOOOO stupid. Many of these people also say things like 'healthcare and college education are human rights'. Well, when you greatly reduce the wealth of society by calling for a return to the Stone Age, you are obligated to kiss those concepts goodbye.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most of those people do not realize that virtually all the meat and produce we eat today are horrifyingly deformed mutants our ancestors experimented on for millennia to grow quickly and be palatable to humans. It's hilarious to read some "paleo" diet recipe that's like, steak with brussel sprouts lmao.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

silence_kit posted:

The people who believe that life was better as a medieval peasant than today as an office worker or service worker are breathtakingly stupid. I think they need to take a break from the media sources which are feeding their persecution complex.

Along the same vein, the people who have mysterious/intangible beefs with industrial agriculture and call for a return to subsistence farming are also SOOOO stupid. Many of these people also say things like 'healthcare and college education are human rights'. Well, when you greatly reduce the wealth of society by calling for a return to the Stone Age, you are obligated to kiss those concepts goodbye.

They have absolutely no idea what any of the other groups in the past did or felt like, they just know they are in pain and imagine something better.

Life is suffering, though. Now or before.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't like Jason Sudeikis

I don't have any actual reasons why, and he has worked on shows I like

I just don't like the look of that guy

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't like Jason Sudeikis

I don't have any actual reasons why, and he has worked on shows I like

I just don't like the look of that guy

Related: I’ve seen the first couple of episodes of Ted Lasso and it just didn’t hook me. Am I doing something wrong?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blue Moonlight posted:

Related: I’ve seen the first couple of episodes of Ted Lasso and it just didn’t hook me. Am I doing something wrong?

Never apologize for not liking art. No art is for everyone

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Moonlight posted:

As a person who liked Ted Lasso I think it has a very specific vibe that you're on board with or you're not. I can easily see why someone might not get hooked by it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's funny how in Ted Lasso there is almost always some kind of Apple or computer joke or reference in every episode. I suspect that Apple forces the showrunners to insert stuff like this into the show. Is this the case for other AppleTV shows?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think Peep Show kind of sucks as a TV series. I like little bits from It's always Sunny and sometimes it can be funny but it's also not my fav.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

Didn't rope you in, huh?

Couldn't resist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Always sunny needs to end five or six years ago

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Didn't rope you in, huh?

Couldn't resist.

:clint:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I stopped watching Always Sunny a few episodes into season 11 because it was absolutely terrible

the first 6-7 seasons are absolute gold, 8 and 9 were starting to slip, 10 was pretty bad, and when I got to the chardee macdennis 2 episode in 11 I had to turn that poo poo off and never went back to it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I stopped watching Always Sunny a few episodes into season 11 because it was absolutely terrible

same but season 1, not that it was AWFUL or anything but I dunno, i watched like 3 episodes and didn't need more

unlike community which only took 1 episode to realize that was enough

maybe american tv shows should focus on being well written and acted and good rather than just throwing in aged celebrities

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

same but season 1, not that it was AWFUL or anything but I dunno, i watched like 3 episodes and didn't need more

unlike community which only took 1 episode to realize that was enough

maybe american tv shows should focus on being well written and acted and good rather than just throwing in aged celebrities

S1 doesn't even have frank bud

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sitcoms in general take a while to find their footing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea s1 without Frank is very very different from the rest

Frank's character and the tone of the show in general changes a lot from season 3 to 4 as well, but I'd say the show is really good through season 6, 7 is still very good but starts in with more self-referential fan service, 8 and 9 continue that trend, then 10+ it's a parody of itself (maybe on purpose, but still not funny)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if a television show has more than 3 seasons i don't even want to know about it

and thats bearing in mind a good british tv show lasts 6 episodes not the 20+ that americans need

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh, it's jollyboyjohn lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sad to see that the British mind is so far reduced that even the idea of watching a television show of length causes considerable distress. At this point the US seriously needs to consider forceful intervention to put the island under it's stewardship and beneficent guardianship.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

IAS floundered for a few years and then completely jumped the shark when Mac got ripped

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I believe new Popes should be under 20 years old by liturgical law

Im not catholic but Popes are major world figures and it would be cool to have one for more than a few years. I want popehood to define eras like in Japan (not popes there but you get the idea)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Manager Hoyden posted:

I believe new Popes should be under 20 years old by liturgical law

Im not catholic but Popes are major world figures and it would be cool to have one for more than a few years. I want popehood to define eras like in Japan (not popes there but you get the idea)

under 20 and you're electing a kid who hasn't finished priestly training lol. 35-50 is an interesting age range to consider, a parallel to pre-modern secular monarchs who were often crowned well into adulthood but not in old age.

also not catholic + the catholics will have a laundry list of reasons its gotta be the exact way it is right now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last time they elected a Young Pope we got Jude Law, think on that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Popes should be executed when they turn 18, and a new Baby Pope chosen.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Aramek posted:

I think it sucks that everyone works so hard for so little while . . . landlords take every penny you have.

It would be such a great use of government money to spend it on building a lot of public housing. There are a couple of practical issues with this idea however.

Issue 1: The federal government, which actually has the best shot at affording a major program such as this, doesn’t have the authority to do this. Owing to our federalist system of government, that authority rests with local/state governments.

Issue 2: This government program would be wildly unpopular! Even a lot of ostensibly progressively-minded people are very much against building more housing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

byob is a grey forum

petition to get you renamed to just "wank-o" in the interests of public transparency and new-user friendliness

PHUO: Any given shibawanko post can be replaced with :jerkbag: at no change to the signal/noise ratio of the thread

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

alexandriao posted:

petition to get you renamed to just "wank-o" in the interests of public transparency and new-user friendliness

PHUO: Any given shibawanko post can be replaced with :jerkbag: at no change to the signal/noise ratio of the thread

look out this guy's mad

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

They might be mad, but they're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phosphine posted:

They might be mad, but they're not wrong.

This guy is also mad. Lol