Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Sir Lemming posted:

They really owe Nvidia big time. They basically did half their advertising job for them when they showed that first really awesome gameplay video to show off whatever graphics card they were pushing at the time.

For real. I didn't give a single poo poo about DOOM until I saw one of those videos 2 or 3 days before the game was supposed to release. Ended up preordering it and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was looking forward to it for years, since I like all id's FPS games including Rage, and what the devs had said and what little we'd seen was promising to me. Sort of like the new Twin Peaks series where Lynch didn't want to show much of it, I just knew he's making it and I wanna check it out.

Agreed Bethesda could've done a a better job on marketing though of course. Looking forward to what they've got cooking up next! (in 2020 probably)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pete Hines posted:

We had showed off the multiplayer, but we hadn’t managed to show as much of the single-player. So giving folks the chance to try it… well it turned out to be a good idea.

They basically rediscovered the principle of shareware demos.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

but not a lot of people are gonna play that due to it being a VR game.

Yeah, this is unfortunate, but goddamn, if I had a VR set, I'd be buying up and playing every single loving VR game in existence, including the killer VR app, Tabletop Simulator.

Seriously, tell me there's not a better use of VR in gaming.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CJacobs posted:

It really seems like the publisher just had no faith in it, from its total lack of advertising to the emphasis on the MP over everything else, which is a shame and likely at least partially a result of time + Doom 3's poor reception.

It seemed like that at the time but Bethesda completely half-arsed the marketing for Dishonored 2 and Prey in a very similar fashion so it seems like that's just how they're going to market their non-RPG games from now on (and maybe those as well). Wolfenstein 2 will be the acid test, I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Seriously, tell me there's not a better use of VR in gaming.

I wish someone would make a VR version of Battle Chess. There's traditional chess games with boring wood pieces but in TYOOL 2017 there's no reason they shouldn't come to life and murder each other.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 22, 2017

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm late to frames-per-second chat but let's talk about how weird Jedi Knight is. Like apparently your weapon layer runs at a higher framerate than the game world? At least I assume that's an issue with the base game and not the newer high-res texture mods.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minidust posted:

I'm late to frames-per-second chat but let's talk about how weird Jedi Knight is. Like apparently your weapon layer runs at a higher framerate than the game world? At least I assume that's an issue with the base game and not the newer high-res texture mods.
Lucasarts' early 3D engines were loving weird in a lot of ways. I wish I knew more about how they worked, my experience with Jedi Knight modding was downloading some mod that added ridiculous Jedi Powers and new maps and farting around on LAN with friends, abusing infinite double jumps or whatever it was to arse around in the part of an Episode 1 Duel of the Fates map where the author hadn't bothered to add collision.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

IIRC, Star Wars Droidworks was based on the Jedi Knight engine, but has a bug where the physics calculations completely mess up when your machine runs faster than a nebulous upper boundary, making it difficult to push objects (or yourself at times) up ramps that act much steeper than they really are. Understandably, this is a problem for a game designed to teach kids about physics.

My 600MHz Pentium III Windows 98 rig seems to be the sweetspot, hitting about 60FPS without horribly mangling the physics, but it's a right shame that never got fixed ever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Jedi Knight engine, aka Sith, was kind of the village bicycle at Lucas for a while, it seems. It was horribly hacked into Droidworks, had chunks implemented in some vague form into Grim Fandango's GrimE engine, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine uses a heavily modified and evolved version called Jones.

Lucasarts was weird.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Didn't know Infernal Machine was Jedi Knight too... Only have the N64 version of that, which I doubt is based on said engine (though it's by many accounts the better way to play it anyway, so). Fun game, though.

EDIT: This isn't Discord you dumbass, you don't use underlines to italicize

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 22, 2017

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I will always remember Jedi Knight FFA with like 12 people all having that force death vision on at the same time, fun stuff

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Loads of sales on Steam at the moment

Heretic + Hexen Collection (Heretic, Hexen & Hexen II) £1.49
Strife £1.49
Doom Classic Complete (i.e. Doom, Doom II + Master Levels, Final Doom) £2.49
Quake Collection (Quake + both expansions, Quake II + both expansions, Quake 3 + expansion)
Turok £3.74
Turok 2 £10.04
One Unit Whole Blood (Blood + both expansions) £1.19
Blood II + expansion £1.19
Jedi Knight Bundle (Dark Forces, Jedi Knight + expansion, Jedi Knight II & Jedi Academy) £3.74
Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour £7.49
Apogee Throwback Pack (Blake Stone 1 & 2, Rise of the Triad [1995] + expansion) £1.74
Wolf Pack (Wolfenstein 3-D, Spear of Destiny & Return to Castle Wolfenstein) £1.99
Half-Life Complete (Half-Life + both expansions, Half-Life 2 + both episodes, Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life Source) £3.26
Deus Ex £0.99
System Shock Pack (System Shock & System Shock 2) £2.24
Thief Gold £0.99
Thief 2 £0.99
Unreal Deal Pack (Unreal Gold, Unreal II, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004 & Unreal Tournament III) £4.59

Convex fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 23, 2017

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe not quite early FPS but the first one at least is a classic everyone should play:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle with all 3 games is $10

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

drat those packs are cheap. Even if I never play it would be nice to have in my library in case I need a wad file or something.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Remind me, was RAGE's DLC the true ending? I recall hearing something to that effect; that the game ended abruptly, but the DLC picked up where it left off and offered... well, more closure than the jackshit the base game offered, but I dunno if that's saying a whole lot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
No, it was a side story really. It's playable as soon as you get to the open world and also has a cool new gun. Some of the DLC levels are really good looking.

It also adds a mode where you can replay any level from the single player, however it doesn't let you pick up any ammo so you always end up dry before the end and have to punch everything to death (hope you got the pre-order only DLC with better punch gloves!)

Social Animal posted:

drat those packs are cheap. Even if I never play it would be nice to have in my library in case I need a wad file or something.

The id ones are the cheapest they've been in a few years, and they are unlikely to ever go cheaper than this in future.

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 22, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Happy Birthday Quake! :love:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Convex posted:

Loads of sales on Steam at the moment
You had Turok but missed Turok2 (33% off). :colbert:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Honestly, Turok 2 was a quick release-day purchase for most people that still had Turok I since it was already discounted for existing owners.

Finishing the game properly on the other hand is not a quick process. I'm sure there are ways of speed running it but there's so much backtracking and most people still run Turok I.

Edit: also good opportunity to buy Duke world tour and Bombshell for cheap. Hopefully the Build version of Bombshell ends up being good.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 22, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

You had Turok but missed Turok2 (33% off). :colbert:

I'm sorry, will update my post :(

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 22, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Edit: also good opportunity to buy Duke world tour and Bombshell for cheap. Hopefully the Build version of Bombshell ends up being good.

Is Bombshell worthy of any money or time at all? Everything about it from the gameplay to the graphics just looks rotten to me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Every time someone buys Duke 3D World Tour, an angel gets its wings. Do the right thing folks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

Is Bombshell worthy of any money or time at all? Everything about it from the gameplay to the graphics just looks rotten to me.
LGR didn't think so.

I haven't played it, but him being the huge Apogee fan that he is, I'll trust his opinion there.

That said, the setting has some merit, so that Build FPS is probably gonna be okay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They did a big overhaul/re-release at some point but I have no idea if they really made it any better.

My only memory of Bombshell is that had way, way, wayyyyyyyy too much dialogue.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Every time someone buys Duke 3D World Tour, an angel gets its wings. Do the right thing folks.

It's discounted this week on PSN as well. Oddly enough, it's cheaper on there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They did a big overhaul/re-release at some point but I have no idea if they really made it any better.

My only memory of Bombshell is that had way, way, wayyyyyyyy too much dialogue.

The only thing I liked about it was how the badguy would taunt her by going "SHELLLLLYYYYYY" and how angry she seemed to be over it.

I would have liked the gameplay to have been a bit crunchier and faster because it was a bit on the bland side. Also I don't remember which memes were in it but there were a lot

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Yodzilla posted:

Not really. I just bought it cheap thinking I might need a copy to get access to the Build prequel, but I think they'll market it ceperately after the shitshow with Interceptor being liquidated and losing their Bombshell 1.3 patch in the process. The formers Devs and 3DR are still trying to get a deal to get that back to push it onto steam, but who knows how long that'll take or how much it'll cost.

Still a fun game even on the current 1.2 patch.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For real. I didn't give a single poo poo about DOOM until I saw one of those videos 2 or 3 days before the game was supposed to release. Ended up preordering it and never looked back.

The difference is insane. For anyone who hasn't seen these, check this out:

This is the type of gameplay Bethesda had been showing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4clvjusF_HI

And this is the gameplay video NVIDIA put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY

Nition fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 23, 2017

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

The Kins posted:

Worth mentioning, you can create a nice little menu for soundfonts by adding something like this to your INI file:
code:
[SoundFonts]
cool=c:\doom\cool.sf2
lame=c:\doom\lame.sf2
SC-55=c:\doom\SC-55.sfpack
The options will appear in the Fluidsynth area of Advanced Sound Options.

I tried this on GZDoom 3.1.0a and it doesn't work. I go to Advanced Sound Options and click "Select Configuration" and it's blank. Is there a certain way those lines need to be formatted?

Fake edit: In happier news, I'll be getting a new computer soon - the first computer I've ever owned that can actually play modern 3D games decently. Of course Doom 2 (via GZDoom) will be the first thing I play on it. I already have some mods in mind but does anyone have suggestions? These are its specs. (Windows 8 has been replaced with Windows 10)

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 23, 2017

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Oh man. I'm getting a bit nervous. I've been (finally) playing through Thief: Deadly Shadows now that I've got it actually working for me, and I'm almost to the Cradle. I know of the mission, but don't actually know any of the specifics of it, so it'll be interesting to see.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Simon The Digger posted:

Fake edit: In happier news, I'll be getting a new computer soon - the first computer I've ever owned that can actually play modern 3D games decently. Of course Doom 2 (via GZDoom) will be the first thing I play on it. I already have some mods in mind but does anyone have suggestions? These are its specs. (Windows 8 has been replaced with Windows 10)
nuts.wad

But seriously, most Doom WADs of note should've worked alright on any computer you'd throw them at, unless they were overbearing on monster count or sector detail. I mean, I guess my basketball arena for Reelism tends to chug even on my fairly high-end hardware, which I blame for using reflections in a map where there's hundreds of monsters packed into a small space, though Kinsie made it so you can turn those reflections off which should alleviate that considerably. (It was even worse when I had modeled out tons of individual chairs, complete with armrests and the like... in the end, I think just copying the chair sectors from Duke 3D's Hollywood Holocaust was the right move there.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Play epic2 with Wildweasel's Nazis mod. It's really good.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Skipping Epic 1 is like skipping Terminator 1, it's not like skipping to Wrath of Khan, it's more like skipping Police Academy 1 which you would not do under any professional's advisement.

More mods: SmoothDoom, Trailblazer, Samsara

More wads: Suspended in Dusk, Scythe 1 & 2, Romero-Tech&e1m4b, Vanguard, PirateDoom

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 23, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Suspended in Dusk is a masterpiece. RIP Espi :(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Chainworm Kommando is hella fun.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

david_a posted:

Suspended in Dusk is a masterpiece. RIP Espi :(

This reminded me and made me really sad.

Will always promote Espi's works, they are easily up there with the top contenders.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Croteam have updated Serious Sam Fusion with support for Serious Sam 3: BFE. In addition, they've made a few changes to the Sam3 levels based on the years of feedback since the game previously released:

quote:

- Changes made to the levels and enemies to fix a so called "churn" with the overall gameplay; where the game seemed to annoying or monotone. Due to these changes, mainly on Normal difficulty, some battles were changed, some enemies no longer spawn, and some enemy stats have been changed. In general, the game should be less annoying and difficult to play on Normal.
- Enemies that had a perfect immunity to non-explosive weapons, like the Khnum and the Technopolip now have a 50% immunity to non-explosives instead.
- On the other hand, Hard and Serious difficulties have been made more difficult. Some enemy spawns that no longer appear on Normal will appear again. Several enemies also have additional attacks on Hard and Serious! (You'll "love" the kleer.)
- Many many smaller changes. Try to find them all!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Oh man. I'm getting a bit nervous. I've been (finally) playing through Thief: Deadly Shadows now that I've got it actually working for me, and I'm almost to the Cradle. I know of the mission, but don't actually know any of the specifics of it, so it'll be interesting to see.

Haven't thought about that level in years. Interested to hear how it holds up in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Unlike most people here Serious Sam 3 is my favourite one in the series and I'm glad they're doing those changes since the helicopter enemies sucked. Croteam must've thought the same too since iirc they don't even appear in the expansion.