Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

Innuendo and sex jokes have always been common in Japanese games even back in the Famicom/NES era. Not having something like that is probably the exception rather than the rule when it comes to JRPGs.

Bravely Default had ton of this, but there was one conversation that stood out:

Bravely Default posted:

Ringabel: Rgh! It's hard and massive! How am I supposed to take it out?!

Edea: Don't worry about me. What about you Agnes?

Agnes: Ngh! It's recovery is too swift! Are you ready yet Tiz?

Tiz: Almost... just a little longer...

DeRosso: Seems you're having a rough time of it, eh Ringabel?

Ringabel: Why are-?

Sage: Ho ho, Agnes, we're here to help, my dear

Agnes: Sage!

Tiz: Alright, here we go. Blaze bright!

Edea: Yes! That was amazing, Tiz!

Tiz: ...I couldn't have done it without you and Agnes

Agnes: And we wouldn't have lasted without Ringabel's aid

Ringabel: The thanks shouldn't stop here. Don't forget about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Mega64 posted:

Don't the villains get those too? Because I remember Kefka having a ton of great ones for specific characters.

"I SEE A POSER!"

"You sure are talkative...in your head!"

Sordas Volantyr fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 12, 2015

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Don't the villains get those too? Because I remember Kefka having a ton of great ones for specific characters.

"I SEE A POSER!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM-VbPAH48

Some of the rest of Kefka's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk92emn_Cgo

Shantotto's got some good ones, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8SiR83Cw0

Edit: There was also this exchange between Laguna and Cloud of Darkness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Kc0Mka-Gk&t=60s

Varance fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 12, 2015

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Of course, everybody hates Kefka right back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyH_fFidda8 (If you can't stand the intro, skip to 30 seconds in for the quotes)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't go with "If something smells, it must be the Butz!" for FF5.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Kanfy posted:

Innuendo and sex jokes have always been common in Japanese games even back in the Famicom/NES era. Not having something like that is probably the exception rather than the rule when it comes to JRPGs.

It seemed really out of place for a NES-era game. 6 was incredibly wholesome, and having 4 be the immediate US-prequel to that was unexpected. It wasn't until 7 came around that things like homosexual orgies started happening.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's because Nintendo made them remove anything even vaguely sexual.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

It seemed really out of place for a NES-era game. 6 was incredibly wholesome

Yes, the game where the barmaid asked Sabin to grab her tits and where Edgar hit on a 10 year old was incredibly wholesome

Did they even take that second one out of the English one I haven't played it in 10 years

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

It seemed really out of place for a NES-era game. 6 was incredibly wholesome, and having 4 be the immediate US-prequel to that was unexpected. It wasn't until 7 came around that things like homosexual orgies started happening.

Also the legendary Puff Puff technique has been around in Dragon Quest since the first one, which was released in 1986. Originated from Dragon Ball, apparently.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
There's an actual term for planting ones face on tits, and its called Puff Puff?

Japan you so crazy

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shoenin posted:

There's an actual term for planting ones face on tits, and its called Puff Puff?

Japan you so crazy

Yeah. It's a lot classier when it's called motorboatin'.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Shoenin posted:

Japan you so crazy

Well it was literally coined by Toriyama himself, he's the creator of Dragon Ball and character designer of Dragon Quest. Also it's a running joke in DQ.

I remember that in III a girl invites you in for some puff-puff and asks you to relax and close your eyes as the screen goes black. After a bit of puffin' you open your eyes and you see her dad, the best puff-puffer in town.

Also as far as sexual acts and their nicknames go, I'm pretty sure Puff Puff barely registers as "pretty weird" even if you don't go outside the US. :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Well it was literally coined by Toriyama himself, he's the creator of Dragon Ball and character designer of Dragon Quest. Also it's a running joke in DQ.

I remember that in III a girl invites you in for some puff-puff and asks you to relax and close your eyes as the screen goes black. After a bit of puffin' you open your eyes and you see her dad, the best puff-puffer in town.

Also as far as sexual acts and their nicknames go, I'm pretty sure Puff Puff barely registers as "pretty weird" even if you don't go outside the US. :v:

It was also in FF14 (:nws: I guess?)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What are some good end game bravery default builds that can incorporate a thief so I don't miss out on any of that sweet loot. I'm level 99 with all level 14 classes and some of these late game fights are rough.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Attach Medication to that bitch and you got yourself a utility support character.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
http://youtu.be/koWnfzN9RoU

SE is hosting a pre location test livestream soon for dissidia so if you are wanting to see how the game runs and are up you might want to check it out.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 13, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
More details on Dissidia Arcade: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/13/square-enix-highlights-whats-new-dissidia-final-fantasy-arcade/

-new attacks while dashing
-ex attacks
-summoning and team summoning, some will provide team buffs
-story will obviously be more about YOU, THE PLAYER than the chaos vs. light story
-They want the game to last 10 years
-50 characters is a goal, not an announcement. 14 is the starting roster

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

More details on Dissidia Arcade: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/13/square-enix-highlights-whats-new-dissidia-final-fantasy-arcade/

-ex attacks
-story will obviously be more about YOU, THE PLAYER than the chaos vs. light story

14 seems remarkably small. That means there won't even be one from each FF game with we know Ramza is confirmed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And with three spots being taken up with the three Lightnings, there's not a whole lot of room left.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

-ex attacks

This had better not mean having to buy 30+ DLC characters though.

I'm hoping you get some team synergy bonuses, like having WoL+Bartz+Onion Knight giving some Warriors of Light bonus or something.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

There was already 31 people, 32 if you count Feral Chaos, in 012, so assuming they're all returning, that's 18-19 possible new characters. Noctis is most likely in, maybe Stella, and if they want a villain to pair up with the heroes, then chances are what's his bucket from XIV and either Wiegraf, Gafgarion, Vormav, or Delita could be in. Then again, in said perfect world where all this happens, Edgar's also there throwing tools at everyone.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TARDISman posted:

There was already 31 people, 32 if you count Feral Chaos, in 012, so assuming they're all returning, that's 18-19 possible new characters. Noctis is most likely in, maybe Stella, and if they want a villain to pair up with the heroes, then chances are what's his bucket from XIV and either Wiegraf, Gafgarion, Vormav, or Delita could be in. Then again, in said perfect world where all this happens, Edgar's also there throwing tools at everyone.

I'm torn between wanting Delita or Wiegraf as the villain for FFT. ON the one hand Delita is the actual foil for Ramza, on the other hand Wiegraf is a bad rear end who I hope would have an amazing EX form.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

And with three spots being taken up with the three Lightnings, there's not a whole lot of room left.

There needs to be more Lightning.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How do I go to a loketest if I'm in the area

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Madmarker posted:

I'm torn between wanting Delita or Wiegraf as the villain for FFT. ON the one hand Delita is the actual foil for Ramza, on the other hand Wiegraf is a bad rear end who I hope would have an amazing EX form.

How about Dycedarg's elder brother?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's going to be Ultima and you know it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I hope whoever they pull from FF7 is a cool character like Aeris/th or Cait Sith but I'm pretty sure aside from Cloud and Sephiroth the top contenders would be Vincent since he starred in his own lovely game and the walking blob of breasts that is Tifa who is still inexplicably popular.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Eej posted:

I hope whoever they pull from FF7 is a cool character like Aeris/th or Cait Sith but I'm pretty sure aside from Cloud and Sephiroth the top contenders would be Vincent since he starred in his own lovely game and the walking blob of breasts that is Tifa who is still inexplicably popular.

Good news, Tifa's already in Dissidia, so you're already half-correct!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's going to be Ultima and you know it.

Yeah :sigh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Eej posted:

walking blob of breasts...inexplicably popular.

hmmm

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Awhile back I started playing FF7 because I hadn't played it in over a decade and why not, get a fresh view on it. I put it down because I was racing chocobos so I could breed chocobos so I could get Knights of the Round. Last night I picked it up again, realised that was all dumb and useless, and now I'm sailing around picking up ultimate weapons and poo poo. What are some good materia combos that don't involve multiple copies of mastered Knights of the Round? I'm screwing around with 2x-Cut=Steal as Well + Added Effect=Hades, which is pretty sweet. At some point I should probably go for the Final Attack=Phoenix standby.

Also what is the best way to cheese the battle arena, my 14 year old self cries out for vengeance

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

i can't figure out why and it is vexing me day and night

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eej posted:

I like Yuffie

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tifa is good.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would say putting Barret in would be great but that would actually use up the Black Man Quotient of the game, preventing us from getting Sazh.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://youtu.be/fdxMyrXIN5c

https://youtu.be/XebSK-MiGL0

New trailers, one comparing Arcades version to the PS4 version and the other featuring Cloud being loving blasted into the stratosphere at 1:45.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

they're a bit too triangular for me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sakurazuka posted:

they're a bit too triangular for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfWzVdPwBpY im a big fan of cliffboob

e:

The GIG posted:

https://youtu.be/fdxMyrXIN5c

https://youtu.be/XebSK-MiGL0

New trailers, one comparing Arcades version to the PS4 version and the other featuring Cloud being loving blasted into the stratosphere at 1:45.

Why are they using a bad remix of FF8 battle theme to advertise a game that doesn't even have any FF8 characters in it yet

Eej fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 13, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tifa is great, gently caress off haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I like everyone in the party. They are all Cool People.