Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Czechia and Estonia are the least religious countries in Europe, why are they so homophobic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

First time I see a map with floodfill helpers.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Max Landis is a creep

Content:
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/934875207852060672

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pakled posted:

Czechia and Estonia are the least religious countries in Europe, why are they so homophobic?

Quite often, abandoning a religion doesn't mean abandoning its social views.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Finland and Estonia are really letting the rest of the Protestant Bloc down.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Good map, but goddamn does it aggravate my map ocd :spergin:

Also it's being very generous to Cambodia by calling it a democratic state. As a constitutional monarchy run as a single party communist dictatorship it might require its own category, or at least an asterisks or something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wait, Switzerland had a monarch?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Koramei posted:

Technically, the Holy Roman Emperor? Otherwise it's been a confederacy ever since its creation, so there's never been a monarch of Switzerland specifically.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Legacy of communist times or current Russian influences. Probably more to do with Russian influence since their neighbors don't feel as strongly as them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Take away Finland's Nordic card.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

We're not on the map because our prime minister is lesbian. :v:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Pakled posted:

To expand on what others have said, anti-LGBT sentiment isn't necessarily rooted in religious reasons. Socially conservative worldviews and rigid ideas about gender roles don't have to have a religious basis.

It can often be just "those gays are unmanly/icky/pedophilic/dirty!" or "men and women have naturally determined societal roles and those queers gently caress it all up!!!" and other such things that don't need any belief in explicit supernatural forces to subscribe to. I've certainly met hardcore, outspokenly atheistic people who would agree with the sentences I quoted above, as well as adherents of various religions who would disagree with the same.

tl;dr - religiosity doesn't always determine people's views on gender relations and sexual orientation.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah it's pretty much just :biotruths: and stereotypes at this point. Straight people are like this gay people are like this.

Phrenology and eugenics are pretty much dead these days too, but a depressing number of people on the street will still tell you personalities and intelligence are hereditary and some people are "more evolved" than others without even really being aware of the racial caste system that spawned those ideas.

They're just ideological zombies shambling along waiting for someone to finish them off.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Squalid posted:

Also it's being very generous to Cambodia by calling it a democratic state. As a constitutional monarchy run as a single party communist dictatorship it might require its own category, or at least an asterisks or something.

I'm the free and indipendent Republic of Kuwait, who was never governed by a monarch since the dawn of time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

First time I see a map with floodfill helpers.

There's an empty world map like that. I see it used quite often by amateur map makers to quickly fill in a map with some data. Maps like that have been posted in this thread a bunch of times.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Koramei posted:

Yeah, the Cheese King of the Alps, Ludwig 3

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't Namibia be the same color as South Africa, as it was considered part of South Africa at the time, even if there were disagreements, and was instrumental in the monarchy/republic referendum winning by 52%.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Squalid posted:

Why would you pick 1813 as your breakpoint when half of Spanish South America rebelled slightly before and the other half slightly after? Colombia and Venezuela used to be the same country for chrissakes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We already had a gay prime minister :smug:

fishmech posted:

Quite often, abandoning a religion doesn't mean abandoning its social views.

Yes, and more generally, right-wing views are only weakly linked to religiousness in most of modern Europe. It's just not a factor.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 7, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

We already had a gay prime minister :smug:

Our prime minister has never had a date in his life so it's anyone's guess what his sexual preferences are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Our prime minister has never had a date in his life so it's anyone's guess what his sexual preferences are.

Anime?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Finally, a leader to represent the goon demographic.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Well he spends a lot of time with his mom...

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Guavanaut posted:

Shouldn't Namibia be the same color as South Africa, as it was considered part of South Africa at the time, even if there were disagreements, and was instrumental in the monarchy/republic referendum winning by 52%.

The referendum passed by 75,000 votes. S-W Africa as a province only voted in favour of it by 7,000 votes. So its not really correct in saying it was 'instrumental' in the Republic winning out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Legacy of communist times or current Russian influences. Probably more to do with Russian influence since their neighbors don't feel as strongly as them.

It has nothing to do with Russia (why does everything have to be linked to Russia?), social conservatism and religion are two different things that may be intertwined in some societies, but that shouldn't make you expect them to be always aligned.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Why do the hydro plants have smoke stacks?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nature's proof that Kazakhstan is Number 1

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blut posted:

The referendum passed by 75,000 votes. S-W Africa as a province only voted in favour of it by 7,000 votes. So its not really correct in saying it was 'instrumental' in the Republic winning out.
SWA still had the biggest republican percentage besides OVS, and the entire reason that the vote was extended there was because the NP was sure they'd swing towards a republic in a tight referendum.

If Angola and Mozambique both suddenly decided to stop being monarchies at the same time as Portugal without getting a vote, it seems strange to say "we just don't know when Namibia became a republic."

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

SWA still had the biggest republican percentage besides OVS, and the entire reason that the vote was extended there was because the NP was sure they'd swing towards a republic in a tight referendum.

It doesn't matter at all that SWA had a high vote percentage in favour of the referendum when the gross number of voters in SWA was so low. Or for what reason the franchise was extended to them. You were completely wrong to say that a state that had 7,000 votes in favour of the referendum was "instrumental" in passing it when the referendum passed by 75,000 votes countrywide. SWAfrica's votes were more accurately "inconsequential" than "instrumental". If they hadn't gotten to vote on the referendum it would have made exactly no difference to it passing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We still know the exact date that they decided to become a republic, which seems odd to omit from that map, even if they did decide to become a republic as a client state of another country that decided to become a republic.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Didn't expect to see Ireland being more gay-friendly than GB and most other Western European countries.

Also what the hell, Finland.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Current leader is gay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel really dumb because up until last year i didn't know the country macedonia isn't actually macedonia. i just always assumed.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Grevling posted:

Didn't expect to see Ireland being more gay-friendly than GB and most other Western European countries.

Also what the hell, Finland.

Ireland's current Prime Minister (Taoiseach) is an openly gay half Indian man: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Varadkar

A referendum on recognizing gay marriage a couple of years ago also passed easily: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-fourth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

Ireland has liberalized rapidly in the 20th century. The influence of the Catholic church is dying a death very quickly. A combination of a never ending series of Catholic church scandals, a rapid increase in wealth in the 1990s, and the dying off of the older, more religious segment of the population is doing wonders for the country.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

That's not smoke, it's steam.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turkmenistan: Ashgabat
Uzbekistan: Tashkent
Tajikistan: Dushanbe
Kyrgyzstan: Bishkek

Kazakhstan: Astana <-- OCD triggered, rename to Ashtana immediately

Count Roland posted:

It's very cold and they need to melt the water first.

Or the map maker didn't have a better power plant dingbat available. Either/or.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

i feel really dumb because up until last year i didn't know the country macedonia isn't actually macedonia. i just always assumed.

Sure it is. Just not the coastline or traditional capital (Thessaloniki)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Lycus posted:

Take away Finland's Nordic card.

Too late, we already sold it off to cut taxes for the rich.

I genuinely don't have a good explanation or excuse for the low percentage. Though I'd love to A/B test that question by dropping "bisexual" from the B version. Not saying it relates to the Finnish result, just in general it'd be interesting to see.

Edit: an openly gay man was in the second round of the presidential election in 2012, he lost 70-30, and he's running again against the 2012 winner who became an incredibly popular incumbent, maybe already in 2015 people were interpreting this as a direct question on the actual candidates for 2018? That's probably too far-fetched.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

We still know the exact date that they decided to become a republic, which seems odd to omit from that map, even if they did decide to become a republic as a client state of another country that decided to become a republic.

It’s almost certainly not on the map because the map maker couldn’t find it in the approximately five minutes he spent looking. Much like Papua New Guinea or Somalia or French Africa.