Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
Any recommendations on beginner upright bass? Or what to look for while i'm trawling craigslist and the classifieds? If it's worth it i would spend a couple grand if it makes a difference and wouldn't depreciate like a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
I just got my old bass out of the basement and am starting from zero again.

My D string is a bit quiet, probably because it is set higher than even the E string. Is this something I can just go ahead and adjust, or would I effect intonation or anything else?

Hotzenplotz fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 20, 2012

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Hotzenplotz posted:

I just got my old bass out of the basement and am starting from zero again.

My D string is a bit quiet, probably because it is set higher than even the E string. Is this something I can just go ahead and adjust, or would I effect intonation or anything else?

Yes and yes. Adjusting string height will probably mess with your intonation a bit. Assuming it's an electric bass with an adjustable bridge, it's an easy tweak. First get all your string heights where you want them.

1) Tune the open string
2) play the 12th fret on the same string, and note how sharp or flat it is.
3) If the 12th fret note is flat, use the adjustment screw to move the saddle toward the nut. If it's sharp move it away. (The way I remember it is FFF: if the Fretted note is Flat, move the saddle Forward)
4) Retune the open string, and repeat until the octave is also in tune.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks man. Sounds like something I should learn to do anyway.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot
Just sent in a payment for a gorgeous NYC Sadowsky Jazz. I think my credit card just winced in pain.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

denizen posted:

Any recommendations on beginner upright bass? Or what to look for while i'm trawling craigslist and the classifieds? If it's worth it i would spend a couple grand if it makes a difference and wouldn't depreciate like a rock.

My experience was that double bass was such a physical thing that I really needed to just play for ages before it would make a difference having a new bass. So the way I would do it, if I did it again, would be to get a cheap bass and get used to playing it and completely re-learn everything. I was probably six months away from doing a gig when I first got an upright bass (As an educated and professional musician) so I would definitely start with something cheap.

Good basses cost a fortune anyway so just get a cheap one to learn on then seriously think about mortgaging your house.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look around places like Music Go Round in addition to Craigslist.

You may be able to snag an upright for a few hundred instead of a couple thousand.

You may even find one that already has fret lines taped on it. :haw:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Look around places like Music Go Round in addition to Craigslist.

You may be able to snag an upright for a few hundred instead of a couple thousand.

You may even find one that already has fret lines taped on it. :haw:

Please.

Pencil marks on the side of the neck was my style.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

LordPants posted:

Please.

Pencil marks on the side of the neck was my style.

I put strategically located scratches on the side of my fingerboard.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Just sent in a payment for a gorgeous NYC Sadowsky Jazz. I think my credit card just winced in pain.

Nice. Specs?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've heard that Upton Bass out of Connecticut does some awesome set-ups of Shen uprights. Still a little pricey at $1,400... but I'd think that'd be a good balance between entry-level affordability, and instrument quality.

http://www.uptonbass.com/shen-double-basses/

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Scarf posted:

I've heard that Upton Bass out of Connecticut does some awesome set-ups of Shen uprights. Still a little pricey at $1,400... but I'd think that'd be a good balance between entry-level affordability, and instrument quality.

http://www.uptonbass.com/shen-double-basses/

Upton Bass has a store in Boston as well, thats where I got mine and its amazing but a bit pricy at 2300$.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
When I can finally afford to make the leap to an upright, it'll be an Upton.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Scarf posted:

When I can finally afford to make the leap to an upright, it'll be an Upton.

It is worth it they are so helpful. I had shopped around for a while before deciding and the dude there (can't remember his name) was better than anything online or any of the other places I had checked out, we must have gone through like ten different basses it was a total Harry Potter in Ollivanders wand shop moment him just saying no the second I touched one.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I'd contacted Upton about having my Kay repaired... it has the classic break across the heel, the only thing holding it together are several brad nails and this situation has to stop.

In the meantime, I'm playing my bacello. I don't know what else to call it. Some maniac in Atlantic City made this out of a 19th Century German cello body, a knock off Fender fretless neck (along with the bridge) and did some serious work making sure this thing was sturdy. It probably weighs more than my Kay and can be played standing up. It has a single Fender Lace pickup, classic Fender tuners and just a volume control.

As you can well imagine, the scale is very long. The sustain is OUT OF THIS WORLD. The intonation is quite good and it's a blast to play. While I'm sure this isn't the first time someone mated these two mediums together, I've played shows and am currently recording with it. It gets looks.

Sorry about crappy flash photography. I'm suffering from a bout of insomnia and decided to meander into this thread.

This is how the bridge is mounted.. on a solid block of wood. This is where I can tape a piece of foam rubber to come into slight contact with the strings to give this bass a bit more of a true upright sound.

I'd be glad to take more photos if you guys want them, when the sun comes up. With the steel round rod peg deployed, the bacello is about as tall as I am, 6'2 or so. Sometimes I'll just rest the bottom of the bacello on my foot and play it sitting like a cello.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Looks really interesting - would you have any soundclips for a demonstration?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Could anyone recommend a bass amp head for around $200 (if it's that when used it's fine too) which is versatile and good for all-around live use? I play bass in a rock\blues band and am in need of a new amp. We have a pretty huge Peavey 15" twin speaker cab that I plan to use the new amp with, I just don't know a whole lot about bass amps in general because I'm normally a drummer outside of this particular band. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 29, 2012

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Relayer posted:

Could anyone recommend a bass amp head for around $200 (if it's that when used it's fine too) which is versatile and good for all-around live use? I play bass in a rock\blues band and am in need of a new amp. We have a pretty huge Peavey 15" twin speaker cab that I plan to use the new amp with, I just don't know a whole lot about bass amps in general because I'm normally a drummer outside of this particular band. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Honestly it is kind of difficult to say, a lot of your choice will come down to personal preference although some amps are just better than others but for that price go to guitar center and pick out a nice used Ampeg (if you can find one) or maybe one the Acoustic amps they have.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Relayer posted:

Maybe look for an old Peavey head like a Mark III or something? Cheap, durable, loud. Should go cheap used on craigslist. I've got this on mine:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/msg/3235091234.html

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Or, go for the entirely opposite weight class: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gallien-krueger-mb200-200w-ultra-light-bass-amp-head

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

If you go that route, for the love of all that is holy, leave that Contour switch in the OFF position.

You could probably find a used Ampeg B2R in that price-range, and get closer to 350W out of 4ohms. I'm going to assume that 2x15 cab you said you have is 4ohms, but check to make sure.

Alternately: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-350-portaflex-350w-bass-amp-head (Granted I have no experience with this amp head).

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 30, 2012

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Go used for this one. $200 isn't going to get you a lot of bass amp new, and to push a couple 15s you'll want quite a bit of power. Tone-wise, I'm not particularly fond of either Peavey or Hartke but if you go used you can find amps from both in the 300-400 watt range. I also see some SWR amps in your price range on Ebay, and some Edens.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

That is seriously sexy. Seconding the sound clip request.

There is a good chance that I will be seeing Kansas in early October. They are touring with King's X :swoon:
A guitar-playing ForzaGoon recommended that I bring a bass to get signed by the best trio ever, but I don't feel too comfortable bringing a boutique bass to a show, and I will be trading in my fretless some time soon... But if I bring my ClementBass's electronics cavity cover, I can have them sign that without having to bring the whole instrument and leaving it in the car in the middle of the city.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

CaseFace McGee posted:

That is seriously sexy. Seconding the sound clip request.

There is a good chance that I will be seeing Kansas in early October. They are touring with King's X :swoon:
A guitar-playing ForzaGoon recommended that I bring a bass to get signed by the best trio ever, but I don't feel too comfortable bringing a boutique bass to a show, and I will be trading in my fretless some time soon... But if I bring my ClementBass's electronics cavity cover, I can have them sign that without having to bring the whole instrument and leaving it in the car in the middle of the city.

This is the Most Bass post.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The cavity cover is the best place to get stuff signed.

I'm considering getting some plastic covers made for my Stambaughs and sending them out to some artists I like to put stuff on.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Rehearsed with a potential new band tonight. Finally found some guys who have the same somewhat eclectic tastes I have.

I also forgot how loving fun it is to play Blue Bossa :)

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with bi-amping? I'm thinking of running 2 SVT 2-Pro's together and wanted to know if anyone here has done something like this.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

js86 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with bi-amping? I'm thinking of running 2 SVT 2-Pro's together and wanted to know if anyone here has done something like this.

Are you going to be splitting the signal somehow? High/low, clean/dirty or effects? Or do you just need that much volume?

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Clean/dirty. I use dirt in a lot of my songs and I'd like to have a clean signal to keep the low end. I'm in a power trio, so I like having a huge sound and strong presence in the mix. I'd like to try to find a decent Y splitter, assuming that would be the best way to split a signal.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
You could do a couple different things, like run a crossover so that your low end remains clean and your highs get distorted. Or, you could run an A/B/Y box which lets you select either amp individually or both at once. I believe Morley makes a good box.

I have an MXR Bass DI+Distortion which allows me to blend in the ratio of clean/dirty. I can also completely bypass the dirty, but keep the preamp from the clean side working.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
A/B/Y box is the way to go. Lehle make a decent one I think, but they're mainly the same once you get past the cheap ones. A lot of the preamps like Sansamp will have a clean signal output too if you're wanting to use outboard distortion.

Bi-amping can sound really great but lugging around a second rig gets tiring after a while, I just used to go straight into a DI to the PA, and then out of the DI 'thru' setting into a dirty amped rig mic'd. But then I'm a lazy gently caress.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
the rule is - if you're playing heavy music and you can carry your rig by yourself, you need to upgrade.

so yeah, 2 SVTs would be ideal.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
I don't think I would have a problem hauling a 2nd 2-Pro/8x10. My current rig really isn't hard to move and I already have 2 8x10's, so all I would need is an A/B/Y box and a 2nd 2-Pro.

My bandmates are going to hate me.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

js86 posted:

I don't think I would have a problem hauling a 2nd 2-Pro/8x10. My current rig really isn't hard to move and I already have 2 8x10's, so all I would need is an A/B/Y box and a 2nd 2-Pro.

My bandmates are going to hate me.

Since you just want clean/dirty you could just run the bass into the clean amp, then run the line out of it into the dirty one. ABY boxes have some issues and since you're not going to be using the switching you may as well avoid them.

js86
Jul 22, 2012

DrChu posted:

Since you just want clean/dirty you could just run the bass into the clean amp, then run the line out of it into the dirty one. ABY boxes have some issues and since you're not going to be using the switching you may as well avoid them.

So it would basically be:

Bass-->Clean Amp-->Line Out to Pedalboard-->Dirty Amp Input

?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

js86 posted:

So it would basically be:

Bass-->Clean Amp-->Line Out to Pedalboard-->Dirty Amp Input

?

Since you're using a pedalboard that could change things Are you relying on a pedal for the overdrive, or the amp? What's your current setup like?

niff
Jul 4, 2010
i wouldn't recommend using a line out on an amp to pedals, it can change their tone far too much - like running them in an effects loop. just buy a road rage buffered ABY or build one yourself if you are thatway inclined

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Spent some time at GC playing various P-basses, and this the only way to express how I'm feeling...

Apparently some point between the last time I played a "real" P-bass and now they changed the neck, and they're nowhere near as huge as they used to be. Everything just felt...right.
Quoting this on the off-chance that nobody saw it because it's great. This is the exactly same way I felt when I heard a precision next to the jazz that I brought in for demoing and thought "well that's a lot better, what the gently caress am I doing with this jazz bass?" Jumped the fence a week later.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

My squier Jaguar bass hasn't been staying in tune lately, but I'm unsure if it's because of the weird humidity levels or the lovely tuners, but I played a show on friday in a friend's basement and the fucker would just not stay.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

My squier Jaguar bass hasn't been staying in tune lately, but I'm unsure if it's because of the weird humidity levels or the lovely tuners, but I played a show on friday in a friend's basement and the fucker would just not stay.
Just switched to a short-scale Squier bass myself and I noticed that it would go way sharp when I was really digging in, especially on the E. Tuning slightly flat or tuning while repeating a note helps a lot.

It could still be lovely tuners :\. When was the bass made? Mine stays where I put it, but it was made in the late 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

scuz posted:

Just switched to a short-scale Squier bass myself and I noticed that it would go way sharp when I was really digging in, especially on the E. Tuning slightly flat or tuning while repeating a note helps a lot.

It could still be lovely tuners :\. When was the bass made? Mine stays where I put it, but it was made in the late 70s.

It's not the short scale, it's the Jag Special. It was made in 2011.