Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Untitled by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

erephus fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rib Mountain by g.hetzel, on Flickr

So much fog in my life

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sliced by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Colonized by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Powered by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Paved by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Monitored by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Spent a week shooting mostly with my busted-rear end S90. It still does surprisingly well despite having lost infinity focus at all focal lengths >50mm equiv.

Slickrock by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Slickrock 2 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Slickrock after Rain by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Got the chance to play with a new filter:

And another random one:

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

relish_fetish fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

So much fog in my life

These are rad, especially the first two. I wish it would get foggy around where I live more often.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Iceberg by Alex Gard, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The last five pages have been amazing.

Um...yeah.

Redwood "stump"

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

\⚡/

⚡⚡⚡ ⚡

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 8, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Owns so hard

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Staircase by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Pillars by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_5274 by s-bothun, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MrBlandAverage posted:

I think there's definitely some flare in this one too.

Lone Fir Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Six months later:

Lone Fir Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Holy crap. I wish my sunrise at the beach pics came out like that. Care to share how you got that shot?

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

ZippySLC posted:

Holy crap. I wish my sunrise at the beach pics came out like that. Care to share how you got that shot?

Thanks, I shot it with NEX-7 with the 10-18mm. I typically under expose a bit, and then in lightroom use the grad filters and change the exposure and color a bit on sky, and a separate grad for the land and water. I am still trying to figure it all out myself. I get lucky sometimes, and this one of those times. To be fair, st. Pete beach is sort of cheating, as every sunrise/sunset I shoot there is amazing! I also was bit intoxicated taking the shot, so maybe that's the trick. Thanks again for kind comment.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My only suggestion would be to mask the top of the grass from the grad filter, it looks a bit blackened.

relish_fetish
Jan 24, 2012

Spedman posted:

My only suggestion would be to mask the top of the grass from the grad filter, it looks a bit blackened.

Ya no doubt, how do I do that? I can't figure it out....

chrith
Jan 7, 2009

Untitled by chrith is already taken, on Flickr

ahhh street by chrith is already taken, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

relish_fetish posted:

Ya no doubt, how do I do that? I can't figure it out....

I'm not a post-processing master by any stretch of the imagination, but you'll need photoshop as Lightroom won't do the trick, probably best to ask the people in the processing thread, for some useful info.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Mosfellsbær

DSCF2721.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2726.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2720.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Tried to do some 'deadpan'.

Vail pass rest stop by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

It's fall in the suburbs, blah blah blah blah Ben Folds

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Mt Garfield by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
I'm picking up some proper equipment soon to really get into landscape photography, and going through this thread and seeing so many amazing photos has been really great. A lot of you are seriously amazing photographers. I noticed a lot of talk about processing/touching up afterwards and stuff though, so would someone mind posting up their straight unedited photo vs what the final product looks like so I can get an idea of generally how much processing is done?

Also, I know the following picture isn't great (bad composition blah blah) but here is the only landscape photo I'm really proud of, for a variety of reasons. This is a picture of the Millstream Falls in Queensland, taken on an old Nikon FE2 where all the electronics and stuff were busted. I had absolutely no clue about settings, but because all the electronics were dead I was forced to take the picture completely manually/guess, and to take the long exposure I had to manually keep the shutter open and then let go of the button when I wanted to stop.

It was shot on lovely cheap Kodak film, with no tripod, with a nice lens that was sadly not wide enough to get more of the surroundings (we were on a manmade lookout that was the only good vantage point and it was as far as we could walk, the rest of the path was sort of "behind" the falls). Every single other photo that day was ridiculously underexposed except for this one, so it just holds a very special place in my heart because it was basically a series of bad mistakes that somehow by sheer luck ended up pretty OK.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Just go out and shoot more photos. As far as PP goes, I think less is more with most landscapes - don't fall into the trap of super-saturated HDR sunsets.

I am too lazy to use a grad ND filter so usually need to do a bit of work to the sky in Lightroom. If you shoot RAW you can usually recover a fair bit of detail without it looking overdone. Then a bit of dodging and burning if needed and some adjustments to curves. For high res photos I will often sharpen in Photoshop using a high pass filter as well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Chroisman posted:

I noticed a lot of talk about processing/touching up afterwards and stuff though, so would someone mind posting up their straight unedited photo vs what the final product looks like so I can get an idea of generally how much processing is done?

Asking for the "unedited" photo can be tricky--RAWs by their nature look very bland compared to the in-camera processing that JPEGs receive, so what you're probably looking for is a processed picture vs. the straight-out-of-camera JPEG that you would've gotten if you were shooting in that mode. I think most cameras should offer an option to do both simulataneously now, but I don't know how many people use it. I happened to start doing it a few weeks ago, though, so here are some of mine. Note that my JPEGs are set for "vivid" picture control and low "active d-lighting" settings on my Nikon, for whatever that's worth.

DSC_4767 by khyrre, on Flickr

DSC_4773 by khyrre, on Flickr

DSC_4878 by khyrre, on Flickr

DSC_4917 by khyrre, on Flickr

My changes usually aren't too major. Mostly just cropping, lens distortion and perspective correction, and some contrast/exposure tweaks; maybe some changes to the color if I feel it warrants it. VSCO Film or other similar preset packs can give you a quick jumping-off point to determine the general direction you want to take a picture in terms of processing, though honestly I think it looks good enough a lot of the time to be a one-click solution (although it'll show in your portfolio if you just keep doing that).

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I probably sound like a broken record, but my favorite photos are the ones that did not need any post processing at all. Here's a shot from yesterday that I quite like and didn't need to edit:

Through this thread, I've become more comfortable with doing some post-processing and it's really nice to be able to fix things you messed up, or even make things better. Just being able to drop down a virtual graduated filter in Lightroom and drop the exposure on the sky makes a world of difference on bright days. Even still, I always worry that I'm overdoing it, and my aim with post is usually to make it look as realistic as possible.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The mountains by francography, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Chroisman posted:

I'm picking up some proper equipment soon to really get into landscape photography, and going through this thread and seeing so many amazing photos has been really great. A lot of you are seriously amazing photographers. I noticed a lot of talk about processing/touching up afterwards and stuff though, so would someone mind posting up their straight unedited photo vs what the final product looks like so I can get an idea of generally how much processing is done?

What kind of special equipment are you thinking of getting? I literally do all my shooting with a plane jane D3100 and kit lens, usually no tripod and only very occasionally will I rent a nicer lens if I'm going on a trip or something. If you want to shoot landscapes, go shoot!

As for PP, Sometimes I'm subtle, sometimes I get carried away, and rarely it comes out the way I want. I have fun playing in Lightroom because it's (relatively) easy to change the tone or feeling of a photo by changing the colors.

Here's one that gives a good example. First is straight out of the camera.

View of Athens (Straight from Camera) by jpitha, on Flickr
Literally nothing done to it.

Next, how it looks when I cleaned it up and did some mild toning and straightening to it for my album

A view of Athens by jpitha, on Flickr

And processed to hell and back. I was trying to give it a vintage look while also trying to express how hot it was that day (it was really hot)

View from the Acropolis by jpitha, on Flickr

I am hardly an expert, barely an amateur. I'm still just a photo monkey who pushes buttons to get things looking the way he wants, there are infinitely more skilled people here, but this might help out a little with what can be done.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I like this one of mine, but certainly there are far better landscapers in this thread.

Unedited

_MG_6421.jpg by Flying Ferris, on Flickr

Edit

_MG_6421.jpg by Flying Ferris, on Flickr

Overall warmed it up a bit for feel, and then obviously made local adjustments to the trees and their shadows to lighten them up and warm up the shadow a bit more then the global adjustment. I also boosted the clarity on the clouds to the right to make them pop a bit more. Global sharpness and a small crop to kill some negative space on the left.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shampoo posted:

And processed to hell and back. I was trying to give it a vintage look while also trying to express how hot it was that day (it was really hot)

View from the Acropolis by jpitha, on Flickr

I am hardly an expert, barely an amateur. I'm still just a photo monkey who pushes buttons to get things looking the way he wants, there are infinitely more skilled people here, but this might help out a little with what can be done.
Nice photo but don't forget to clone out dirt on your sensor (near the top, straight above Mount Lycabettus).

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Saint Fu posted:

Nice photo but don't forget to clone out dirt on your sensor (near the top, straight above Mount Lycabettus).

Darn it. I thought I got that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Shampoo posted:

Darn it. I thought I got that one.

Lightroom 5 has a crazy useful thing for getting rid of sensor dirt spots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xNLS0KjcY&t=270s