Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So if you agree to sell a car, but don't get a deposit or anything, and then get an offer better than the asking price, how much of a dick move is it to go with the second offer? Is that something that happens and people deal with it or is it really horrible?

Craigslist I assume? Given how easily people flake out on craigslist - even after "agreeing" to buy/sell, I wouldn't worry about it too much especially if it's an all-cash deal. I might tell the original person that you got a better offer and give them a chance to beat it.

When it comes to craigslist, cash is king and the first person to put cash in your hand tends to get the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Would you guys consider it a red flag if a used car has "Vehicle purchase reported registered as rental vehicle" on the Carfax? It's a 2012 model with like 16k miles so I'm not too worried about it, but I have this nagging feeling that I've heard rental cars are a bad idea because people abuse the poo poo out of them. Is that an actual thing?

As someone who has driven many rentals for work and who works in auto insurance, never ever buy a rental. These things have been beat on, repo'd from deadbeat renters, you name it.

Dont buy a former rental car. Ever.

Ever.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I think I would sooner buy a salvage title than an ex-rental/fleet vehicle. Which is to say: never. It's amazing how poorly people treat things that are not theirs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So if you agree to sell a car, but don't get a deposit or anything, and then get an offer better than the asking price, how much of a dick move is it to go with the second offer? Is that something that happens and people deal with it or is it really horrible?

I'd keep my word, but in all honesty if you don't have cash in hand deposit-wise, it's within reason to go back on the deal.

I definitely wouldn't break my word on something like that over like, $100-200.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Would you guys consider it a red flag if a used car has "Vehicle purchase reported registered as rental vehicle" on the Carfax? It's a 2012 model with like 16k miles so I'm not too worried about it, but I have this nagging feeling that I've heard rental cars are a bad idea because people abuse the poo poo out of them. Is that an actual thing?

I rent cars like 60-100 days of the year and as a frequent car renter you do not want one of those cars.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks goons, that's very helpful. Although also disappointing since it was exactly what we want in all other regards :argh:

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Proposed Budget: $25000-$40000
New or Used: New
Body Style: Compact hatch or sporty wagon. Auto or manual, haven't decided yet. Not a long clutch travel though, I have bad ankle motor control.
How will you be using the car?: Joy rides, shuttling my city family to visit my suburb family (often), weekend trips, misc. excursions to the suburbs, helping city family haul things, hauling my own bike, visiting friends in the suburbs.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Yes
What aspects are most important to you? Handling, looks, acceleration, cargo (somewhat), cost of ownership, seats, audio quality.

Thing is I don't need a car at all as I live downtown in a major city. And after concrete living expenses (including $200 a month garage parking) I only have about $2000 in disposable income. I'd be paying for the car entirely or most of it in cash, but I worry about being in the red most months due to insurance and parking. I'm completely ignorant on insurance, will having garage parking help?

I really want something, have the cash for a car and really want one. My most valuable asset is a macbook pro retina. I don't own my home nor plan on buying a condo and I'm happy with my investments. I'm extremely satisfied with where I live and have no plans on moving to super expensive cities like NYC or San Francisco.

Thinking: Audi A3, VW Golf, VW Golf GTI, Mazda 3
Definitely not: Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra GT, Kia Forte

Am I missing anything? Also, be easy on me :kiddo: I even have car sharing cars in my building, but it's a Fiat 500 and Nissan Sentra.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any reason you're "Definitely Not"-ing the Focus? It's probably the best hatchback in class (or the Mazda3).

Unless you have a mega boner for interiors or Quattro, the A3 is a GTI with an extra couple inches of rear end which costs more and doesn't include no-cost maintenance for 3/36 so it is a pretty dumb and bad deal. On the other hand, they're outrageously unpopular so you might be able to swing a good deal?

Test drive everything and buy what you want. With your discretionary income I don't think your cash position is going to be too badly impacted by any of the vehicles you named.

If you are looking at VAG products, the Jetta Sportwagen is pretty solid.

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.

Throatwarbler posted:

A6 Jetta GLI with the MT.

I think this is a good option, however, it's a the top of the price range and availability is a little- sparse...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

wide stance posted:

Body Style: Compact hatch or sporty wagon. Auto or manual, haven't decided yet. Not a long clutch travel though, I have bad ankle motor control.
How will you be using the car?: Joy rides, shuttling my city family to visit my suburb family (often), weekend trips, misc. excursions to the suburbs, helping city family haul things, hauling my own bike, visiting friends in the suburbs.
What aspects are most important to you? Handling, looks, acceleration, cargo (somewhat), cost of ownership, seats, audio quality.

Thing is I don't need a car at all as I live downtown in a major city. And after concrete living expenses (including $200 a month garage parking) I only have about $2000 in disposable income. I'd be paying for the car entirely or most of it in cash, but I worry about being in the red most months due to insurance and parking. I'm completely ignorant on insurance, will having garage parking help?

I really want something, have the cash for a car and really want one. My most valuable asset is a macbook pro retina. I don't own my home nor plan on buying a condo and I'm happy with my investments. I'm extremely satisfied with where I live and have no plans on moving to super expensive cities like NYC or San Francisco.

Am I missing anything? Also, be easy on me :kiddo: I even have car sharing cars in my building, but it's a Fiat 500 and Nissan Sentra.

Acura TSX Sport wagon. Or Accord Crosstour if you don't ever have to look at it from the outside.

Where is the WRX and STi now? Are they still making them or what

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

timepenguin posted:

I think this is a good option, however, it's a the top of the price range and availability is a little- sparse...

The availability's got to be a bit better than anything else you're thinking of because they sell a shitload of Jettas compared to MS3s or whatever else you were looking at, and there's not much else available that's got some go and still has a warranty.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I received my license back in December and I am planning on buying a used 2010-2012 Kia Soul. I am in the NYC area. I do not know anything about cars but have been researching prices, etc., via various websites. I plan on buying for 10-12k cash soon, after haggling.

What is the best way of going about this search? Should I buy from a dealership? A private seller? Should I browse online first or visit random dealerships the old-fashioned way? What are the best websites to search for used cars?

I also have a neighbor who buys and sells used cars from auctions. He offered to take me up there and do the buying/bidding (and I buy from him), but since I know nothing about cars, is this a bad idea? I do trust him, but there are no guarantees at auctions, I've read.

What should I be looking for in terms of a "good" used car beyond lower miles and accident-free histories? Does anyone have any haggling tips?

small butter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 5, 2013

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 4, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

booseek posted:

I received my license back in December and I am planning on buying a used 2010-2012 Kia Soul. I am in the NYC area. I do not know anything about cars but have been researching prices, etc., via various websites. I plan on buying for 10-12k cash soon, after haggling.

What is the best way of going about this search? Should I buy from a dealership? A private seller? Should I browse online first or visit random dealerships the old-fashioned way? What are the best websites to search for used cars?

I also have a neighbor who buys and sells used cars from auctions. He offered to take me up there and do the buying/bidding (and I buy from him), but since I know nothing about cars, is this a bad idea? I do trust him, but there are no guarantees at auctions, I've read.

What should I be looking for in terms of a "good" used car beyond lower miles and accident-free histories? Does anyone have any haggling tips?

Don't visit random dealerships because you have no idea who has the vehicle you want in stock, especially for a used vehicle. Most dealers post their used vehicle inventory online at this point, go check that out. There's a little more recourse with dealer sales if the transaction gets hosed up somehow, but if you buy private party you can usually get a somewhat better deal and you may have more complete service records and vehicle history available to you.

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012

wide stance posted:

You live downtown in a major city? Look into Mini Coopers! They're tons of fun to drive, super fuel efficient, and can be parked almost anywhere. If your city has a dealership, check one out. They're definitely in your price range.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

purpleandgold posted:

You live downtown in a major city? Look into Mini Coopers! They're tons of fun to drive, super fuel efficient, and can be parked almost anywhere. If your city has a dealership, check one out. They're definitely in your price range.

It's gonna be down a bit on the hauling factor. I bet you could massage a bike with wheel off into the hatches of the others, but I wonder about the Mini.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need to get NoDoze in here, he had a Mini and doesn't have many good things to say about it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He's looking at the A3, how much worse could a MINI be.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Guinness posted:

Craigslist I assume? Given how easily people flake out on craigslist - even after "agreeing" to buy/sell, I wouldn't worry about it too much especially if it's an all-cash deal. I might tell the original person that you got a better offer and give them a chance to beat it.

When it comes to craigslist, cash is king and the first person to put cash in your hand tends to get the deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd keep my word, but in all honesty if you don't have cash in hand deposit-wise, it's within reason to go back on the deal.

I definitely wouldn't break my word on something like that over like, $100-200.

Yeah, Craigslist is correct.

Thanks for chiming in. both of you. I did end up going back on the deal and took the money. I did feel bad about it but he took it ridiculously personally and insulted me so that made me feel less bad. I don't know, I think next time I will start with a high price I don't think I can sell it at and then slowly bring it down if it doesn't sell. This one probably went too cheap but I'm glad to be done with it.

Also in the future I will make sure to park the car out on the street and have them meet me there so they don't know my address, gently caress that.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

purpleandgold posted:

BTW the words "Mini" and "reliability" do not belong together in a sentence that does not also contain copious quantities of :v: and LOL. Also :suicide:.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The word "reliability" also does not appear anywhere in his list of requirements and he specifically says he likes VAGs. Jesus Christ you guys.

MINIs don't do much for me just because they are absurdly expensive for a tiny FWD car. Yes it might handle marginally better than most other tiny FWD cars, but I suspect the Mazda2, upcoming Fiesta ST and Fiat 500 Abarth are pretty serious competitors and are also much cheaper to boot. At the end of the day it's basically just a slight variation on the old New Beetle formula = style over substance.

TL;DR: Check out the new new Beetle, the turbo's supposed to be pretty good.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 6, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

The word "reliability" also does not appear anywhere in his list of requirements and he specifically says he likes VAGs. Jesus Christ you guys.

MINIs don't do much for me just because they are absurdly expensive for a tiny FWD car. Yes it might handle marginally better than most other tiny FWD cars, but I suspect the Mazda2, upcoming Fiesta ST and Fiat 500 Abarth are pretty serious competitors and are also much cheaper to boot. At the end of the day it's basically just a slight variation on the old New Beetle formula = style over substance.

TL;DR: Check out the new new Beetle, the turbo's supposed to be pretty good.

The Mazda 2 probably has the handling chops, but it really makes an NA mini look fast. The Fiat 500 abarth is more of a cooper S competitor, where it gets creamed (also, though we don't care about the reliability, a turbo charges Italian car with US emissions scares the poo poo out of me). Haven't driven the Fiesta yet.

Also, if we're talking $40k hatches, I think we should be looking at STIs, not Mazda 2s. Really if he isn't in the NE, Chicago, or SF , the extra 2 inches or so won't matter much. The fun stuff will though.
That said, the insurance will be a joke if you're a single male under like 25.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

The Mazda 2 probably has the handling chops, but it really makes an NA mini look fast. The Fiat 500 abarth is more of a cooper S competitor, where it gets creamed (also, though we don't care about the reliability, a turbo charges Italian car with US emissions scares the poo poo out of me). Haven't driven the Fiesta yet.

Also, if we're talking $40k hatches, I think we should be looking at STIs, not Mazda 2s. Really if he isn't in the NE, Chicago, or SF , the extra 2 inches or so won't matter much. The fun stuff will though.
That said, the insurance will be a joke if you're a single male under like 25.

Yeah I was wondering earlier if they were still making new STis, I guess they are, and isn't the consensus now that the WRX is a better deal since it has the wide body and all that?

Really how unreliable can these brand-new-2013-under-warranty cars be? The FIAT 500 is like a 6 year old car at this point, I've not heard of any reliability issues with any of them, the Cambiocorsa/SMG transmission they put in the EU version sounds kind of shady but you can't get that here anyway.

EDIT: 4 year/50k mile warranty on MINIs :monocle:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 6, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
This game looks like fun. I'm looking to replace my BMW e46 318i with something that is at least waterproof :cry:

Proposed Budget: AU$25k-30k. Due to the difference in pricing that is about US$18k-25k worth of car, even with our currencies at parity.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Strictly NOT convertible. No SO or kids so I only need 2 door, but 4 is OK. 2 seat>Coupe>Sedan, but the new BMW 5 series GT hatch blows my mind (and is about $100,000 over my budget)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver living in the city + the odd weekend highway cruise.
What aspects are most important to you?: Must be RWD, but I will consider AWD. Needs to be either Auto or clutch-less manual. Handling, looks, reliability, ongoing costs and self maintainability are all important. Nothing bigger than medium-size for parking reasons.

In terms of gadgets: Nav, and parking sensors (rear) are a must. Parking sensors (front), BT, cameras, active cruise, and folding rear seats are desirable. The car will be parked on the street.

Also, whatever I buy, I want to get top- or near-top of the range. I figure this is better for resale, and since I'm looking at used, I'd be more likely to get the gadgets and toys I want.
Country: :australia: So snow/rust are pretty much non-issues, and AWD is fairly uncommon. This is my pricing guide

I'm leaning towards a '05-'06 BMW e90 sedan 330i, since I can't get a e92 coupe 330i here in Aus. The 335i e92 is available but is a little out of my price range, and I'm cautious about anything with a turbo. The car will not be modded or tracked at all. Are there any other suggestions of cars I should research? I mostly just know about BMW's

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 6, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Postal posted:

This game looks like fun. I'm looking to replace my BMW e46 318i with something that is at least waterproof :cry:

Proposed Budget: AU$25k-30k. Due to the difference in pricing that is about US$18k-25k worth of car, even with our currencies at parity.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Strictly NOT convertible. No SO or kids so I only need 2 door, but 4 is OK. 2 seat>Coupe>Sedan, but the new BMW 5 series GT hatch blows my mind (and is about $100,000 over my budget)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver living in the city + the odd weekend highway cruise.
What aspects are most important to you?: Must be RWD, but I will consider AWD. Needs to be either Auto or clutch-less manual. Handling, looks, reliability, ongoing costs and self maintainability are all important. Nothing bigger than medium-size for parking reasons.

In terms of gadgets: Nav, and parking sensors (rear) are a must. Parking sensors (front), BT, cameras, active cruise, and folding rear seats are desirable. The car will be parked on the street.

Also, whatever I buy, I want to get top- or near-top of the range. I figure this is better for resale, and since I'm looking at used, I'd be more likely to get the gadgets and toys I want.
Country: :australia: So snow/rust are pretty much non-issues, and AWD is fairly uncommon. This is my pricing guide

I'm leaning towards a '05-'06 BMW e90 sedan 330i, since I can't get a e92 coupe 330i here in Aus. The 335i e92 is available but is a little out of my price range, and I'm cautious about anything with a turbo. The car will not be modded or tracked at all. Are there any other suggestions of cars I should research? I mostly just know about BMW's

So this is a thing that "blows your mind" ?

You're a bit of an odd duck.

Anyway Lexus IS or Nissan 350Z, or better yet stop being a babby about the manual transmission and go with an RX-8.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
hey, no fair showing pictures with the boot open!

How is a Lexus IS compared 3 series? I'd always just dismissed them as tarted-up toyotas.

Not that there's anything wrong with a toyota, just why tart one up? (and duche real-estate agents come to mind, but 3 series aren't innocent there). Totally prejudice though, never did any honest research on them

Edit: done a bit more reading. The IS350 looks nice, but it's out of my price range.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 6, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How is a Toyota compared to a 3 series? I mean other than the Toyota being much better built and much more reliable.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
night-and-day difference in driving experience. A toyota can go 110mph once in a while, where a BMW/Audi/Merc are built to do it every day on Autobahns. The difference in handling and stability carries through to lower speeds (well, that's my rose-tinted view). And really the 3 series only has one real weak point for reliability, and no problems at all with build quality. The issues with my car are all from dickhead PO's making problems that can't be detected in an inspection without removing panels. Or using a garden hose.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well you sure sound like the kind of person who would buy a BMW then, so just go ahead and buy it. Enjoy replacing those VANOS solenoids.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah I was wondering earlier if they were still making new STis, I guess they are, and isn't the consensus now that the WRX is a better deal since it has the wide body and all that?

Really how unreliable can these brand-new-2013-under-warranty cars be? The FIAT 500 is like a 6 year old car at this point, I've not heard of any reliability issues with any of them, the Cambiocorsa/SMG transmission they put in the EU version sounds kind of shady but you can't get that here anyway.

EDIT: 4 year/50k mile warranty on MINIs :monocle:

The wrx is a better deal if you just want a quick car with awd. The sti has front and rear lsds (the wrx has open diff now, cheap bastards-- note that a diff install on a 5 speed wrx requires cracking the transmission) and a slightly better center diff. It also comes with a much better (from both strength and feel) transmission.

My problem with dealing with european car reliability is that thanks to the deluge of french, italian, and until recently british cars, reliable in europe is not reliable here. They think vws are very reliable and fiat is generally seen as less reliable than them.
Also, I suspect that for fit US emissions (which are more restrictive) and US gas (which is worse), they've had to do some new things, esp on the turbo. Fiat does not have a great emissions system rep.

Now with a warranty, you don't have to pay, but getting a car fixed regularly sucks even if it was free.

----
As for the IS, tarted up toyota is pretty false. They sold it as a toyota in Japan, but japan didn't have a lexus brand in japan until recenly because apparently the japanese are less badge whorish than anglos. In any event calling it a tarted up toyota is like calling a Bentley a tarted up VW because it has a platform mate sold as the vw phaeton in germany.

The IS is a fine car, though at least in the US it is auto only in 350 trim and the 250 is slow. It probably doesn't have as good steering as pre electric steering BMWs. However, it will be way more reliable.
Also, I don't care about the autobahn and neither should you given how many loving speed camaeras I saw when I was there.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 6, 2013

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Any thoughts on the Chrysler 200? I'm going to test drive a new 2013 on Monday, and while I've done a good amount of research on my own and nothing has jumped out at me as particularly bad, I figured you guys might know some things I don't.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

revengeanceful posted:

Any thoughts on the Chrysler 200? I'm going to test drive a new 2013 on Monday, and while I've done a good amount of research on my own and nothing has jumped out at me as particularly bad, I figured you guys might know some things I don't.

Now, that is a tarted up sebring. It is one of the worst cars sold new in the US. It is suitable for rental fleets only.
It probably isn't shockingly unreliable, but isn't particularly reliable. Everything else is shockingly bad and will remind you of the chrysler that was gutted and left for dead by MBZ.
I don't hate dodge/ chrysler like some people (I want a challenger srt8), but someone is going to hell for that POS.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I guess that explains why the vast majority of the used ones on the market near me are former rentals! Just for sake of completeness, though, would you mind elaborating a bit more about things you dislike about it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

revengeanceful posted:

I guess that explains why the vast majority of the used ones on the market near me are former rentals! Just for sake of completeness, though, would you mind elaborating a bit more about things you dislike about it?

It's in the most competitive segment in America, and every manufacturer has a midsize sedan that is better than it in at least one way without being worse in any other. It's fuel economy is subpar, reviewers say it drives worse than the Ford Fusion or Honda Accord (and probably most other midsizers), the interior would have been great for a car that launched in 2006 but it's 2013 now and behind the curve.

What exactly are you looking for in a car? If you need a midsize sedan there are at least 5 better options, and if your list of requirements includes "absolutely must be a Chrysler family vehicle" the Dodge Dart is there as a decent choice. The only other midsize that's as bad as the 200 is the Dodge Avenger... which happens to be on the same platform.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Well you sure sound like the kind of person who would buy a BMW then, so just go ahead and buy it. Enjoy replacing those VANOS solenoids.

Yeah, that's the one nice thing about the 4 cylinder...

So does that mean that Audi/purgeot/jag/VW/saab etc are all best avoided?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

revengeanceful posted:

The 200 is great in that you can get one with a nice V6 brand spankin new for like twenty grand. Buying a rental version basically assures you of having all the mediocrity of a 200, plus used, plus a former rental.

edit: also all the rentals are fours which are Bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Now, that is a tarted up sebring. It is one of the worst cars sold new in the US. It is suitable for rental fleets only.
It probably isn't shockingly unreliable, but isn't particularly reliable. Everything else is shockingly bad and will remind you of the chrysler that was gutted and left for dead by MBZ.
I don't hate dodge/ chrysler like some people (I want a challenger srt8), but someone is going to hell for that POS.

The 200 is significantly better than the Sebring, which isn't as much praise of the 200 as a damnation of the Sebring. It's pretty reliable and it's cheap as all get out and the ride and transmission are pretty good. The V6 is quite competitive in terms of power.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, that's the one nice thing about the 4 cylinder...

So does that mean that Audi/purgeot/jag/VW/saab etc are all best avoided?

It depends on what you want. If you want a luxury car, expect a luxury car parts and service buying experience and maintenance schedule.

What in the gently caress is purgeot?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What in the gently caress is purgeot?

It's how Kath and Kim pronounce Peugeot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Weinertron posted:

What exactly are you looking for in a car? If you need a midsize sedan there are at least 5 better options, and if your list of requirements includes "absolutely must be a Chrysler family vehicle" the Dodge Dart is there as a decent choice. The only other midsize that's as bad as the 200 is the Dodge Avenger... which happens to be on the same platform.

That's actually a great question, I guess I should fill out the standard template.

Proposed Budget: $12000-$20000
New or Used: Either if the price is right.
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, about 60 easy highway miles roundtrip each day.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No, but some niceties like heated seats would be good for the cold winter mornings.
What aspects are most important to you?: I live in New England, so it must be FWD or AWD to be able to handle occasional driving in the snow. Coming from a 2006 Saturn Ion, I'm kind of wanting something a little bigger and more powerful, so I'm thinking probably a mid-size V6. Relatively low maintenance costs would be preferable. I'm not super concerned about expected resale value since I plan on driving whatever I buy until it becomes uneconomical to maintain.

The reason I kind of started my search with the 200 was because I knew it was in my price range and fit most of the criteria I was looking for, but I'm obviously not married to that idea. Any other thoughts you guys have would be hugely helpful.