Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Residency Evil posted:

Have any of you guys gotten your intake manifolds/valves cleaned? I've got a 2010 gti with 40k miles which I can feel misfiring slightly at idle. No CELs yet, but I imagine it'd be a good idea to get it cleaned before next winter. Is there a difference between cleaning methods? My local vw/Audi/Porsche independent says they'd do it for 2-3 hours of labor, or around $300. They don't have a walnut machine (or whatever it is), so they just open it up and give it a good manual cleaning.

I had the valves on my 09 GTI cleaned at 60k miles with the walnut blasting machine for around $400. They were severely carboned up and the car now runs significantly smoother at idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Is there even any truth to break ins on newer cars.

I think they're just a remnant from the old days that won't go away.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fknlo posted:

I think they're just a remnant from the old days that won't go away.

I did indeed go and see if there was a break-in period before I got the car, but since the manual specifically mentions staying in the 2/3s lower powerband, and no full throttle for the first 600 miles and then a gradual increase on your way to 1000 miles I'm following it. I can't come up with a reason why they would bother putting it in the manual if they didn't have a reason.
They list lubrication not being 100% until you break the engine in and ignoring the break-in period can lead to oil burning issues later.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Is there even any truth to break ins on newer cars.

No. They are in the manual because people expect it. Tolerances are too good to need that crap anymore. Plus....it can't hurt.

Do you think rental cars and fleet vehicles get their proper "break in"? Of course not. If it was that important you wouldn't see taxis with 600,000 miles on the original motors, fleet trucks with 300,000, etc.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear
2.0T owners: what kind of mileage are you seeing? I used to get 27 mpg (2/3 hwy 1/3 city) but now that I do more city driving it's dropped to 25-26. I haven't gotten the valves cleaned, and the car has 80k miles on it. Should I expect an improvement in mileage after getting the valves cleaned?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Trans Ferdinand posted:

2.0T owners: what kind of mileage are you seeing? I used to get 27 mpg (2/3 hwy 1/3 city) but now that I do more city driving it's dropped to 25-26. I haven't gotten the valves cleaned, and the car has 80k miles on it. Should I expect an improvement in mileage after getting the valves cleaned?

Mine didn't change significantly.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Do the newest VW/Audi models have problems with carbon buildup? I was under the impression that they solved the problem after their initial early adopter growing pains.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I got a quote from a dealer near me to clean the intake for under $400... is that a pretty reasonable price? Do all dealers know what they're doing when it comes to properly cleaning it?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

Do the newest VW/Audi models have problems with carbon buildup? I was under the impression that they solved the problem after their initial early adopter growing pains.

Pretty much everything that is direct injection has issues. The problem is, the fuel no longer goes over the valves to clean them.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Does anyone know where to buy a headlight switch for a 1987 Audi Coupe Gt or another audi that shares the same switch?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

After a few months of city driving, mine was getting down into the low twenties. I took a highway trip that kept it over 80 for an hour or two and it got markedly better just over the course of the ride. The dealer agrees, it needs an Italian tuneup every so often.

Regarding valves getting carboned up (which also slowly decreases fuel economy), if you watch the various videos online, the stuff can be rock solid and resistant to solvents. If you're gonna go to the effort of getting your valves cleaned, do the walnut blasting, it's the only thing that seems to work consistently.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I got a check engine light the other day, and was going to wait till my day off work tomorrow to have it checked out, but it went away last night.

The first thing I checked was the gas cap and that seemed fine. If its gone though, you think I should I still take it in to the dealer or see if it comes back? It won't hurt to have them check, but if it going away means it was just something silly like a loose cap or something else like that somewhere then maybe I don't have to waste my time.

I read somewhere that it takes like 5 restarts before its reset, so me stopping and starting for a couple days to drive to work would have done that. (I had tried just stopping and starting a few times in a parking lot, but maybe it is smarter than that)

EDIT: This is on my 2012 GTI

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JHVH-1 posted:

I got a check engine light the other day, and was going to wait till my day off work tomorrow to have it checked out, but it went away last night.

The first thing I checked was the gas cap and that seemed fine. If its gone though, you think I should I still take it in to the dealer or see if it comes back? It won't hurt to have them check, but if it going away means it was just something silly like a loose cap or something else like that somewhere then maybe I don't have to waste my time.

EDIT: This is on my 2012 GTI
At least on my 2013 Golf R it has a specific "check gas cap" warning, so if it was your engine light then I'd have to assume that it is not your gas cap.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Nothing but city driving (in SF) on my 2012 and I sit around 22mpg. Barely over 5000 miles on it. :(

Recent trip to LA with cruise set at 80 for the majority of the time, got 27.

I really had hoped I'd be getting better mileage, but whatever.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Snowdens Secret posted:

Regarding valves getting carboned up (which also slowly decreases fuel economy), if you watch the various videos online, the stuff can be rock solid and resistant to solvents. If you're gonna go to the effort of getting your valves cleaned, do the walnut blasting, it's the only thing that seems to work consistently.

I'll take some pictures and share them here the next time I do a carbon cleaning at work. Last one I saw at the shop was a carbon cleaning on an 08 RS4 with about 80k miles on it. Every piece of carbon he cleaned off he put into a ball and the ball was about twice the size of a golfball by the end. The valves were just completely covered in hard carbon.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
On a brand new motor there's no maintenance you could do to take care of that before it happens, right? Seafoam?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
I'm still pretty certain some companies took steps to prevent carbon buildup. Like the BRZ direction injection system is a hybrid system that sprays fuel through the valves and directly into the chamber at the same time. I think I remember VW making some changes to their designs to mitigate this as well.

EDIT: Right, the EA888 engines go the Toyota route and have Port + Direct fuel injection. So carbon buildup shouldn't be a problem anymore for future models.

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 6, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

KakerMix posted:

At least on my 2013 Golf R it has a specific "check gas cap" warning, so if it was your engine light then I'd have to assume that it is not your gas cap.

Mine has this on the gas cap even that mentions it:

When I checked for that, it was the first thing I looked at.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Got the valves cleaned on my 09 GTI TSI with 60k miles. The car idles much more smoothly now and all the random misfires are gone.

It cost me just under $500 to get it done at an indie shop that used crushed walnut media to blast them clean. Very labor intensive job and I was happy to pay someone to do it. This is definitely something to look out for on TSI engines.
After:

From earlier in the thread.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just wanted to show everyone the power of superior german engineering of a parked car vs an idiot texting and driving in his corolla.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Just wanted to show everyone the power of superior german engineering of a parked car vs an idiot texting and driving in his corolla.

Hopefully he broke both thumbs.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My 2010 Golf TDI has some pretty badly frayed seats. I tried fixing it with no-fray fabric glue and I'm considering burning the loose threads with a lighter. But before that I figured I should see about getting my local dealer to replace the seat covers.

Has anyone heard of VW Dealers replacing the seat covers on out of warranty TDIs? It's more or less a known defect, so it seems to me like being out of warranty shouldn't matter.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

My 2010 Golf TDI has some pretty badly frayed seats. I tried fixing it with no-fray fabric glue and I'm considering burning the loose threads with a lighter. But before that I figured I should see about getting my local dealer to replace the seat covers.

Has anyone heard of VW Dealers replacing the seat covers on out of warranty TDIs? It's more or less a known defect, so it seems to me like being out of warranty shouldn't matter.

An upholster would be able to do that, call up a body shop if you need local recommendations. The dealer will likely take your money and out source it anyways.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Phuzun posted:

An upholster would be able to do that, call up a body shop if you need local recommendations. The dealer will likely take your money and out source it anyways.

Oh I meant replacing them for free. They apparently do it for VWs still under warranty and I was hoping I might have a shot at getting them to do it after the warranty expired.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Oh I meant replacing them for free. They apparently do it for VWs still under warranty and I was hoping I might have a shot at getting them to do it after the warranty expired.

Well I suppose you could ask them, but I don't know of any business that likes to perform work for free (unless it is quick and they expect the customer to spend more later).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Phuzun posted:

Well I suppose you could ask them, but I don't know of any business that likes to perform work for free (unless it is quick and they expect the customer to spend more later).

Isn't it different with the dealership? If they can claim something as a known defect they do the work and VW foots the bill don't they?

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Has anyone been able to get an Android phone working with MDI? I just got this cable to connect my phone, since for some reason VW doesn't sell an MDI-Micro USB cable. It charges my phone, but there seems to be no way to actually access anything. I know VW sells regular USB cables which I could then plug in a USB-MicroUSB cable into, but I'm not getting any clear indication from stuff online that it would do any more than just charge my phone too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

RFX posted:

Has anyone been able to get an Android phone working with MDI? I just got this cable to connect my phone, since for some reason VW doesn't sell an MDI-Micro USB cable. It charges my phone, but there seems to be no way to actually access anything. I know VW sells regular USB cables which I could then plug in a USB-MicroUSB cable into, but I'm not getting any clear indication from stuff online that it would do any more than just charge my phone too.

I got a USB MDI cable to simply have a powered USB port for my phone to charge it, but mine will constantly flip from charging to not charging my phone, causing the screen to constantly wake up. It also doesn't interact with the stereo system at all either. On the plus side bluetooth integration works amazingly well with my phone (a new Galaxy S4) and I simply got a USB adapter to plug into the power port anyway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

I got a USB MDI cable to simply have a powered USB port for my phone to charge it, but mine will constantly flip from charging to not charging my phone, causing the screen to constantly wake up. It also doesn't interact with the stereo system at all either. On the plus side bluetooth integration works amazingly well with my phone (a new Galaxy S4) and I simply got a USB adapter to plug into the power port anyway.

My only problem with streaming music over bluetooth is the sound quality. Especially with Google Play, it sounds like a pair of headphones not plugged in all the way. There are things missing.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

RFX posted:

If you already have something connected via bluetooth, try disconnecting it. I had trouble connecting an iPhone via the MDI cable when another device was paired, but as soon as I un-paired it, the MDI device worked perfectly. I think there's a blurb about it in the radio manual.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fknlo posted:

My only problem with streaming music over bluetooth is the sound quality. Especially with Google Play, it sounds like a pair of headphones not plugged in all the way. There are things missing.

Ironically enough I feel this way about Sirius, which sounds like tiny rear end, but I use Google Play over bluetooth with my phone and it sounds great. Especially the new 'all access' stuff, I can just stream pandora-like radio stations for days and it all sounds fantastic. I have asked it to always play high quality though, maybe that's a thing?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Ironically enough I feel this way about Sirius, which sounds like tiny rear end, but I use Google Play over bluetooth with my phone and it sounds great. Especially the new 'all access' stuff, I can just stream pandora-like radio stations for days and it all sounds fantastic. I have asked it to always play high quality though, maybe that's a thing?

I do high quality too. Might be a phone thing too. I'm getting my 3rd HTC one in the next couple of days, I'll have to see if it does it too. Sirius definitely has some pretty lovely quality, and after having it for 9 months I'm pretty much done with it. There were only a couple of stations I listened to and the playlists were pretty lacking. Sirius doesn't seem to want me to quit though, as telling them to cancel the service and send me a bill for the $3 or whatever I owed them when they first called seems to mean "call several times a day for 2 weeks when you're busy and not cancel your service".

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
After my check engine light went away and then came back again the next week, I got it looked at today. Turns out to be the knock sensor, which may also explain why the car felt all sluggish after the light kicked on.

At least it's drivable while they order the part.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What is the consensus on 2010-current Jetta TDIs? I know 2010 was the last MY of the previous generation, were there any significant positive changes for the 2011+ models, or did they really cheap out that much on them?

I see a ton of 2011-2012 Jetta TDIs with about 100,000-130,000 kilometres (60-80k miles) on them. How do these cars hold up with high mileage? Anything to look out for?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The TDI models were never cheaped out on. The JSW kept all the good stuff from the previous generation, but got a new front end that is basically the same as the newer Golf. It's only the "redesigned" (read: cheap to compete with Japanese) Jettas that lost the soft touch and good suspension bits. There are known issues with the high pressure fuel pump, but a solid 50% of the failures have been due to admitted misfuels.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I have a 1992 VW Passat GL that was gifted to me around xmas. It's been running okay, up until about the last couple of weeks.

What it's doing:
1) Won't start even though the engine turns over. Unless it's been sitting for a while. Or the battery has been charged.
2) Likes to shut down when driving at speed. On busy roads. In traffic. :cry:

The frustrating thing is that it APPEARS to be running fine. I can get it started, and it'll idle nicely for as long as I let it. I can drive it off, but within 10 minutes, it'll stall. Not at a stoplight.

What I've done:
1) Checked and topped up oil.
2) Checked all sparkplugs - 2 were almost not threaded anymore. They were fine otherwise.
3) A small hose had been cut by the fan belt, replaced that.
4) Checked the transmission fluid, which was actually too high (stepdad added some ATF thinking he'd help. :mad:) Had a rather nice manager of a jiffy lube drain off some until it was at the right level.

The transmission is going as well. I have to beat the automatic shifter when slowing down else it stops suddenly as it's shifting to the lowest gear. Only started happening after too much ATF. I can't afford to fix this yet. :(

Suggestions for at least getting it running properly? Or should I just be looking for a new cheap car?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The AC on my 2010 VW GTI isn't blowing cold air. How do I troubleshoot this?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

The AC on my 2010 VW GTI isn't blowing cold air. How do I troubleshoot this?

Is it still under warranty? I troubleshoot my Golf by taking it to the dealer for warranty work :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

So I was out driving today in my -00 passat. It was raining very heavily and I was going about 100 kph. Suddenly the wipers stopped working. Naturally, the first thing I did when my vision went to near 0 in an instant was to poo poo myself.. After that I did my best to get off the highway at the next off-ramp (which luckily was close by) without killing myself in the process. As I was getting off the highway the wipers started working again..

Has anyone had any similar issues and know what could be wrong? Compared to the Volvo I had before the wipers do seem like they are sluggish or low on power or something, but I have no idea if that's just the way they are supposed to be..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3834237863.html

I found a 2002 Jetta TDI that I could crawl around and buy outright. What are some issues/red flags that I need to look at? I know how to do filter changes but little else on a car, so a description of what I'm supposed to see would be helpful.