Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Coyote is the best character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Of course Coyote's tooth laughs like he does. Of course.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think Parley will turn this down. The tooth is not only creeping her out, but it's also not a weight, length or edge she is familiar with. She won't be anywhere near as effective with it.

I have to ask, if the goal is to kill Jeanne or free her? Because Coyote's tooth is only going to do the first of these things...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

EoRaptor posted:

I have to ask, if the goal is to kill Jeanne or free her? Because Coyote's tooth is only going to do the first of these things...

Free her. They want to get to the device and get rid of it so Jeanne can move on http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=957

Jeanne wasn't killed by the device directly, the forest man was the one who was actually shot. I wonder if this is going to come into play...

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

EoRaptor posted:

I think Parley will turn this down. The tooth is not only creeping her out, but it's also not a weight, length or edge she is familiar with. She won't be anywhere near as effective with it.

I wouldn't think the physical aspects would deter her from using the sword. She was already considering using a weapon different to her longsword. Coyote's tooth is shorter and lighter, perhaps just what she was looking for.

The laughing is just something she'll have to (wo)man up to.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Coyote is the best character

There was never any doubt for me, but now there should be no doubt for anyone.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The sword is really a wiffle bat, isn't it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's just a laughing sword that can cut through linework. What's the worst that could happen?

ed: Either that or heat-shimmer. I prefer the first explanation though.
vvvvvvv

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 26, 2011

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
^^^^^ Considering Coyote said it could cut the earth itself, I think the first explanation is more likely.

SynthOrange posted:

It's just a laughing sword that can cut through linework. What's the worst that could happen?

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. So its a laughing sword made from the tooth of a trickster god that can literally distort/cut reality around it.

SOLID PLAN KIDS LET'S GO FIGHT THAT RAGE GHOST

1stGear fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 26, 2011

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If it starts demanding heads I'd put it down.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The only things it can cut are pre-conceived notions and jibes. :v:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Of course Coyote's tooth laughs like he does. Of course.
Proof that Wandering Eye Jones is not one of Coyote's eyes. She does not laugh.

Because she's Elgamore, or something.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

CannonFodder posted:

Proof that Wandering Eye Jones is not one of Coyote's eyes. She does not laugh.

Because she's Elgamore, or something.

uuuhh eyes do not laugh
teeth do laugh OBVIOUSLY :colbert:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is...is that sword grinning at me? :stare:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Who knows what else that thing is going to do when Parley swings it around.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Cut something, I imagine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fecha posted:

Cut something, I imagine.

Cut everything.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EoRaptor posted:

Because obviously the tooth will keep only one form.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You know, I've just thought up the worst case scenario.

The worst case scenario is if Jeanne disarms Parley and takes the Coyote-knife.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Fangz posted:

and boxbot is around somewhere

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Fangz posted:

Given that the tooth is from Coyote I'm pretty sure he could probably just summon it back to him. Though he may not because he'd probably find a psycho rage ghost running around with one of his teeth rending the earth and all that poo poo to be down right hilarious.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SexyBlindfold posted:

and boxbot is around somewhere

Have we ever seen Jeanne and Boxbot in the same room? :raise:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Citizen Rat posted:

Given that the tooth is from Coyote I'm pretty sure he could probably just summon it back to him. Though he may not because he'd probably find a psycho rage ghost running around with one of his teeth rending the earth and all that poo poo to be down right hilarious.

And throughout, all you can hear is Coyote's laughter.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Some thoughts on the tooth:
  • Jeanne may well recognise it as Coyote's (he was around to make the ravine before she was made into a ghost, and she used to hang around with forest people, so she should know who he is; the tooth itself has that distinctive Coyote look - and sound). She may assume that Parley wielding the tooth implies all sorts of things about Coyote's role in the plan.
  • Following from the above, the fight could be witnessed by people from both the court and forest sides. Maybe random bystanders, like the suicide fairies, or maybe there will be etherically detectable effects once the fight starts, bringing others to the scene. Coyote really didn't want anybody knowing about his tooth, and it's the one time we've seen him be seriously concerned about anything. But it seems like pretty soon, the secret will be out on both sides of the river.
  • When Coyote has given other "gifts" - Reynardine's possession ability, Ysengrin's tree-control - they have had definite downsides. Seems like the toothknife should have some terrible flaw, and not be just a supernaturally sharp knife. No doubt this will be discovered at the worst possible moment.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wouldn't worry about Coyote's knife, it's ACME, the worst that can happen is the thing not cutting crap. Or blowing up in your face. Nevermind, now I'm worried. :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dias posted:

I wouldn't worry about Coyote's knife, it's ACME, the worst that can happen is the thing not cutting crap. Or blowing up in your face. Nevermind, now I'm worried. :ohdear:

So basically this is gonna happen with Coyote's tooth sword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8wBfDtZkE

Junker
Mar 30, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So basically this is gonna happen with Coyote's tooth sword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8wBfDtZkE

It's so obvious now, Jones is the toon that killed Eddie Valiant's brother.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Have we ever seen Jeanne and Boxbot in the same room? :raise:
Yes. Boxbot was the arrow that they shot her lover with in the flashback.

He is terrible.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
The knife is going to kill Smitty, isn't it? :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dodgeball posted:

Not if Tom knows what's good for him. :cop:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Dodgeball posted:

Yes. Smitty is going to die, Parley is going to die, everyone is going to die. It's going to turn into Gun'er Down Court and it will all end with Annie getting shot by Jones who is actually Eglamore while riding Boxbot and Annie will fall off the bridge and into the river like the end of Scarface.

And Tom's Formspring account will shut down the Internet.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 27, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tom needs a "I am not a character-killer" shirt with a frowny face on it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Now I want them to have a dramatic build up to using the sword against something and then have it just bend like a rubber toy sword. Or it gets pushed back into the grip, giving us a dramatic stab AND a big let down. Followed directly by an update consisting entirely of a giant version of:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coyote never lies though. He says it can split the earth, that means that is true. The question is how literal that statement is, and in what sense it will occur.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I don't think Tom would be averse to killing a character if it would be important to the story. So far he's killed Jeanne, her green elf-boyfriend, Sivo, that pyro ghost kid, and an unnamed shadowman. (And Annie's mom, but that might be seen as natural causes.) I don't expect some kind of horrible slaughter, but it wouldn't surprise me if Parley or Smitty were to die at some point.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

He's also fairly permanently removed Kat's boyfriend, killed the two suicide fairies (temporarily) and terminated the recently revived old robot. It isn't quite a massacre, but yeah, I don't think character death is off the table.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I think he's playing it Joss Whedon style. Lull us into a false sense of security and then the moment we start really liking the characters and not thinking anything could happen to them he kills off Kat.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Talorat posted:

I think he's playing it Joss Whedon style. Lull us into a false sense of security and then the moment we start really liking the characters and not thinking anything could happen to them he kills off Kat.

If that's what he were doing it seems like he's approaching the point that it'd make sense to do something like that. Except now having read/said this I might be sort of slightly prepared for the next few chapters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Coyote is going to die and resurrect. Just to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Does Coyote even want to remove the barrier between the court and the forest? What if 'cutting the earth itself' is more literal and using it there will completely split the forest and court, maybe cutting the court off from Aetheric power entirely?