Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dragon Quest 7 is a really long game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Harlock posted:

Dragon Quest 7 is a really long game.

I was pretty amazed when I pressed y on the overworld for the first time, it's really huge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pretty much every mention of DQ7 from people is that it's like 150 hours and they never beat it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dragon Quest 7 3DS would could benefit from being able to zoom out with the camera. Enemies are generally easy to avoid unless they spawn right in front of you, which happens frequently on the world map with smaller sized monsters.

It feels like enemies run away in battle way more often. I don't remember this happening very much in the PS1 version. It also seems they drop more money, I rolled up into the Volcano Island with enough cash to buy a Thorn Whip, and usually I would have to grind for that.

A cursor memory setting for battles would be nice too, especially early on when it's like, there's no reason not to have Keifer using Flame Slash every round.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MIDI or not, the music is still great.

Gimme a :yeah: if you let the entire Dragon Quest theme play out before starting a new game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gimme a :yeah: if you let the entire Dragon Quest theme play out before starting a new game.

Hell :yeah:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I beat dq5 in like 28 hours so I'm down for a long rear end dragon quest

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Despite the opening hour and a half being a whole lot of nothing I'm somewhat enjoying the game so far, but this input lag is killing me. :( Smacking Slimes around has never felt so laggy.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://dragonquest7.nintendo.com/quick-start/

Nintendo released a "quick start" guide for VII today. It covers the first 15-20 hours of the game. Says a lot about the game if a guide for the first 20 hours is considered a "quick start".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gigawhite posted:

I beat dq5 in like 28 hours so I'm down for a long rear end dragon quest

Looking back, DQV is paced like Chrono Trigger. Very short (in RPG terms), but has your attention the whole time.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is VII the longest Dragon Quest game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looking back, DQV is paced like Chrono Trigger. Very short (in RPG terms), but has your attention the whole time.

its soooooo good

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Skeezy posted:

Very yes. According to these dudes,
DQ I & II are 10-15 hours long, DQ III - VI are in the 30-40 hour range, DQ IX is 50 hours, DQ VIII is 70 hours, and VIII is 105+ hours. It's hecking long.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

:yeah:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Skeezy posted:

8 is close, but i think that's at least partly due to how slow the battles were compared to the rest of the series.

pick-e posted:

Despite the opening hour and a half being a whole lot of nothing I'm somewhat enjoying the game so far, but this input lag is killing me. :( Smacking Slimes around has never felt so laggy.

I've noticed that too... it's weird. Mine isn't bad enough to be a deal breaker but I don't quite understand why it happens in some situations and not others.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

thorsilver posted:

I haven't broke out the Japanese 3DS in awhile so I'm thinking about Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3. Anybody played it? Is it worth it for someone who loved the poo poo out of the other two DQM games on 3DS?

The Japanese demo didn't grab me very hard. If it was in english I'd buy it right now, but I don't see much in the way of changes beyond an improved overworld and less monster variety,

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

A cursor memory setting for battles would be nice too, especially early on when it's like, there's no reason not to have Keifer using Flame Slash every round.

First thing I did was put Kiefer on No Mercy

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
God help me I will beat dragon quest seven, from the beginning. Sure my brother and I played the game in shifts when it came out and never even got close to finding god or whatever and I have 90 percent less free time than I did back then but this is still a sound financial investment!!!

and i'll remember which party member loving leaves you sixty hours in, too. That I think was the quitting point the first time.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does DQ7 3DS have an in game bestiary?

Already getting it, just curious cause I like those in RPGs and most of the recent DQs have had them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not in menus so far but I wouldn't be surprised if it has an in-universe kind of bestiary later. I know you can catch monsters like V so I have to imagine there's a way to track it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not that I'm not happy to finally have it, but Square Enix should have viewed the US release as an opportunity to do a DQVII+ version with enhancements like they did with Bravely Default and countless other games and just give us that one. That way they sell it in the west and get some of the Japanese player base to double dip.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Does DQ7 3DS have an in game bestiary?

Already getting it, just curious cause I like those in RPGs and most of the recent DQs have had them.

not right away but the story eventually gives you a bestiary item

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

not right away but the story eventually gives you a bestiary item

Ah that's rad. It's a small thing but I've always loved those things in games, I'm normally not that bad about collectathon stuff but give me a bestiary, especially one with funny lore, and it's crack to me and I will play the game longer and enjoy it more.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not that I'm not happy to finally have it, but Square Enix should have viewed the US release as an opportunity to do a DQVII+ version with enhancements like they did with Bravely Default and countless other games and just give us that one. That way they sell it in the west and get some of the Japanese player base to double dip.

I'm guessing they only budgeted enough to translate it, given DQ's poor sales history abroad. Makes sense from a business standpoint, sadly.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Really enjoying 7 but I was drunk last night and spent an hour and a half trying to find the uncle for the holy water. They've made some nice quality of life improvements but man some things are still old school and annoying compared to something like 8.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Princeps32 posted:

God help me I will beat dragon quest seven, from the beginning. Sure my brother and I played the game in shifts when it came out and never even got close to finding god or whatever and I have 90 percent less free time than I did back then but this is still a sound financial investment!!!

and i'll remember which party member loving leaves you sixty hours in, too. That I think was the quitting point the first time.

It's Maribel and she'll still be better than Melvin, this shouldn't be in spoilers

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The job system in VII is basically the same as in VI, right? In VI it was futile to try to make, for instance, Carver a mage or Ashlynn a fighter, because their base stats are so extreme that the percentage-based alterations from their current class aren't enough to make them good at performing it. Does that still hold true in VII? Is it difficult to try to make the characters play against type?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I have a small question. It's a really early game spoiler but just in case, I'll keep it in spoilers.

I just got the Big Book of Beasts and noticed that I don't see Maeve's name in it, even though I see the names of three other bosses I've beaten. Did I screw myself out of completing the book because I tried to spare her by fleeing her battle?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Looper posted:

It's Maribel and she'll still be better than Melvin, this shouldn't be in spoilers

Yeah nothing quite like having someone master Sage and then leave an hour later and now suddenly fights are a lot harder since you aren't just leveling things with Boom or Explodet. :argh:

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Cyberventurer posted:

I have a small question. It's a really early game spoiler but just in case, I'll keep it in spoilers.

I just got the Big Book of Beasts and noticed that I don't see Maeve's name in it, even though I see the names of three other bosses I've beaten. Did I screw myself out of completing the book because I tried to spare her by fleeing her battle?

I fought and she's not in there

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The job system in VII is basically the same as in VI, right? In VI it was futile to try to make, for instance, Carver a mage or Ashlynn a fighter, because their base stats are so extreme that the percentage-based alterations from their current class aren't enough to make them good at performing it. Does that still hold true in VII? Is it difficult to try to make the characters play against type?

Yeah, it's the same stat system. Character growth doesn't care about vocation and vocation is only ever a % boost with a small base increase for mastery.

I imagine you're fine doing whatever considering at most half of your party would be non-optimal due to only two characters being like that. For me the real reason not to bother mixing people around is the time it takes to get to top tier classes anyway and the fact that now most every skill doesn't transfer between human classes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got to the second island in the PS1 version of DQ7 before realizing the 3DS port was getting translated, so I decided to put off my playthrough. In the however many hours I played, the temple puzzle was my favorite part. It felt like the game actively decided it wasn't going to go easy on you, and it was a cool culmination of everyone on the island trying to crush your dreams only for you to get a huge sense of "there's some goddamn mysteries in here I know it" and I'm actually upset the removed it and replaced it with eight minutes of walking and waiting in a game that's already a trillion hours long. Now the entire beginning feels long and boring instead of feeling like a cool build-up.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I got to the second island in the PS1 version of DQ7 before realizing the 3DS port was getting translated, so I decided to put off my playthrough. In the however many hours I played, the temple puzzle was my favorite part. It felt like the game actively decided it wasn't going to go easy on you, and it was a cool culmination of everyone on the island trying to crush your dreams only for you to get a huge sense of "there's some goddamn mysteries in here I know it" and I'm actually upset the removed it and replaced it with eight minutes of walking and waiting in a game that's already a trillion hours long. Now the entire beginning feels long and boring instead of feeling like a cool build-up.

I understand they wanted to streamline the start of the game and get people to the fightin' sooner. But the I feel like the fetchquest replacement takes almost as long as the puzzle solving did and is far less interesting. They should have just gone for it and let you in as soon as the door opened. The compromise doesn't really work, imo.

It's a minor issue at least

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
My copy of 7 got "damaged" on delivery, fuckin Amazon. Is it playing any better with the new coat of paint? I remember getting really distracted and bored around mid game by the old system's monotony and having no idea how job systems worked.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you didn't like it the first time I dunno what's here to help you aside from a fresh coat of paint. The battles are still slow and the game is a slog and I say that full well loving both versions.

Glad they put out that quick start guide since progression in the game is: talk to every NPC. Did the plot progress? Talk to them some more.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

tbf the progression in every dragon quest is go to new town>talk to people til something happens or a couple of them mention a cave nearby where something might be happening.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cross a bridge and find a cave, is almost always the answer in DQ

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

In Training posted:

Cross a bridge and find a cave, is almost always the answer in DQ

Except for DQ1, where it's "Cross a bridge, get arse handed to you by much more powerful enemies for which you're probably underleveled."

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, Dragon Quest 1 was a weird experience. I played it blind for the first time two years ago and got to the part where you accomplish everything in the eastern hemisphere and the only thing left to do is go west to get the token, sword, and shield, but I couldn't progress any farther without needing to grind a million levels. I had a friend look up what to do and give me hints, and when he told my my only option was to level up for a few hours to fight enemies in the west I decided I had gotten far enough on my Dragon Quest. Piecing together all the NPC clues in a big notebook file was fun and then when you finally have enough pieces to solve a puzzle it feels super good, but I'm just not willing to grind for four+ hours just to play the rest of the game

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Which version were you playing? The remakes drastically improve the EXP curve, and in any version you can beat the game as low as level 17.