Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Ai becomes more understandable and relatable later, but it doesn't make her social link any less frustrating to deal with. To get into nerdy tarot mode, the Moon is the arcana associated with illusion and to an extent madness so at least it makes sense that she's really fake and tough to figure out!

Thanks for the information! ALWAYS feel free to go into nerdy tarot mode, by the way. It's interesting and adds a lot of depth. Thinking about that, it adds more to my perception of Shinjiro's link from P3P.

Ai's link really threw me for a loop. I'm on a second playthrough, (but without a save carried over from the first) and everything was going pretty smoothly until that...her link really surprised me. I like it, though!

PurplieNurplie posted:

Makes me wonder if fortune tellers, or at least people who work a lot with Tarot cards, would have an interesting perspective on the Persona games...

I've wondered that, too. Along with wondering what a psychologist would think, too, what with the themes from Jung. Actually, playing Persona 3 and 4 always makes me want to read up on both Tarot cards and Jungian philosophy.

ANYWAY, guess what I got in my email?

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Catalina posted:

Thanks for the information! ALWAYS feel free to go into nerdy tarot mode, by the way. It's interesting and adds a lot of depth. Thinking about that, it adds more to my perception of Shinjiro's link from P3P.

Ai's link really threw me for a loop. I'm on a second playthrough, (but without a save carried over from the first) and everything was going pretty smoothly until that...her link really surprised me. I like it, though!

I've wondered that, too. Along with wondering what a psychologist would think, too, what with the themes from Jung. Actually, playing Persona 3 and 4 always makes me want to read up on both Tarot cards and Jungian philosophy.

ANYWAY, guess what I got in my email?

:toot:

YEEEEESS! Gonna cross post this sucker right now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
On that tarot note, it's worth pointing out that it's very deliberate how in the recent Persona games the Fool is the protagonist's arcana and most fundamental s. link while the World (and Universe in 3, which is the same thing in other decks) is the one that doesn't have any specific persona associated with it anymore and is only used for the end. The major arcana, arranged in numerical order, actually tell an allegorical story called The Fool's Journey. The Fool is the simple or young person setting out on the road to discovery and the other major arcana represent the people, challenges, and lesser understandings he encounters. The World is the final card, representing the Fool's arrival at true enlightenment: self-knowledge and a sincere understanding of his place in the cosmos. Persona 1 and 2 don't really integrate the concept of The Fool's Journey at all, but 3 and 4 definitely do. Almost to such an extent that I kinda hope they'll do something a little different with 5, like bringing back some control over other characters' personas.

On that note, assuming P5 does hew close to the example set by 3 and 4, I wonder what mythology it'll focus on for the storyline and default personas. Since 3 was Greco-Roman and 4 was Japanese, and they did a lot with Hinduism in DDS, I think maybe it's time for Norse mythology to be front and center for a game. Think about the potential for Skyrim crossover DLC!

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
Man, the Atlus USA Twitter account just cold-spams people with links to their Game of Thrones RPG all day now, apparently. They never used to do that stuff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

On that tarot note, it's worth pointing out that it's very deliberate how in the recent Persona games the Fool is the protagonist's arcana and most fundamental s. link while the World (and Universe in 3, which is the same thing in other decks) is the one that doesn't have any specific persona associated with it anymore and is only used for the end. The major arcana, arranged in numerical order, actually tell an allegorical story called The Fool's Journey.

In fact, the magic-crazy teacher/nurse spills the whole thing to you in 3. In very conspicuous red text, too.

Much like how he tells the whole mythology behind Persona 4 in that one.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Amppelix posted:

In fact, the magic-crazy teacher/nurse spills the whole thing to you in 3. In very conspicuous red text, too.

Much like how he tells the whole mythology behind Persona 4 in that one.

He even gives recommended reading like Jung and Crowley. I've read a decent amount of Jung and a lot of Robert Anton Wilson (lots of Crowley references). Wilson's insight into the tarot definitely added depth. It would be interesting to see a full blown tarot analysis of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Have to ask if I'm the only one who really noticed the xbox 360/kinect part on Persona 4 The Golden.

Is that a error?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have to ask if I'm the only one who really noticed the xbox 360/kinect part on Persona 4 The Golden.

Is that a error?

Where?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is that a error?

On the webpage you mean? That's surely just some reusable footer text.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

On that note, assuming P5 does hew close to the example set by 3 and 4, I wonder what mythology it'll focus on for the storyline and default personas. Since 3 was Greco-Roman and 4 was Japanese, and they did a lot with Hinduism in DDS, I think maybe it's time for Norse mythology to be front and center for a game. Think about the potential for Skyrim crossover DLC!

In that case they drat better do some redesigns, because most of the Norse demon designs in SMT look like poo poo. :mad:

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

In that case they drat better do some redesigns, because most of the Norse demon designs in SMT look like poo poo. :mad:

I was so excited by Odin being on my team until I saw him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bland posted:

Where?

Probably a mistake, but still.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Haha, I wonder if they copied the footer from their Persona 4: Arena page?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Technique posted:

That's actually a good reason to choose it. In 3 and 4 the persona/demon designs that got a big visual overhaul and had the most unique art style were the hero's "default" ones and the party's, which fit into the games' specific mythological focuses.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I was actually wondering about what mythology would be used for Persona 5 the other day, too. Specifically, I was trying to remember if there were any other mythologies out there which featured stories of a hero descending to the realm of the dead to try (and ultimately fail) to bring a loved one back to life.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Osiris and Isis, which is kind of neat because it flips the genders involved (Isis brings Osiris back to life temporarily instead of the other way around), but also ultimately ends in a pretty different way.

But hey, I'd be cool with Egyptian stuff.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ooh, ooh, are we suggesting badass mythologies for use of the series? Because loving bring on The Kalevala. Now, I may be a bit biased on this considering I live in Finland, but just look at some of this poo poo:

The Kalevala posted:

The Kullervo cycle
Songs 31–36: Untamo kills his brother Kalervo’s people, but spares his wife who later begets Kullervo. Untamo sees the boy as a threat, and tries to have him killed several times without success, so Kullervo is sold as a slave to Ilmarinen. Ilmarinen's wife torments and bullies Kullervo so he sends a pack of wolves and bears to tear her to pieces. Kullervo escapes from Ilmarinen's homestead and learns from an old lady in the forest that his family is still alive, he is reunited with them. While returning home from paying taxes he meets and seduces a young maiden only to find out that she is his sister, she kills herself and Kullervo returns home distressed. Kullervo decides to wreak revenge upon Untamo and sets out to find him. Kullervo wages war on Untamo and his people laying all to waste, he then returns home to find the farm deserted. Filled with remorse and regret he kills himself in the place where he seduced his sister.

And look, if this

quote:

Väinämöinen is the central character of The Kalevala, a shamanistic hero with a magical power of song and music, similar to that of Orpheus.
doesn't mean he's all set to be the first persona of the MC I don't know what does :colbert:

(This is never going to happen but you can't tell me it wouldn't be great.)

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
So guys, remember when a YouTube channel popped up with music that was supposed to be in Persona 5? The one that was a clear hoax? Well, they updated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I702jEFIZ7w&feature=BFa&list=UU3RvLlYTuHzVY5I41P48soQ

I hate the fact that I am being trolled in this manner, but the music is pretty catchy, so I can't complain too much.

And yeah, something based on Egyptian or Norse mythology would be pretty cool. Hell, just something based on Irish myth would be pretty cool.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Awesome stuff.

I think part of me just died from how awesome the concept of a Persona and/or other SMT game that had a MC/storyline with themes that related to shamanism would be.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Osiris and Isis, which is kind of neat because it flips the genders involved (Isis brings Osiris back to life temporarily instead of the other way around), but also ultimately ends in a pretty different way.

But hey, I'd be cool with Egyptian stuff.

Interesting, that one didn't occur to me. The only two I could come up with off the top of my head were Norse as well (the story of Balder) and Babylonian (Gilgamesh). But when I actually went to look it up to confirm it, it turns out I'd misremembered the Babylonian one; Gilgamesh didn't go to the Underworld to bring back his buddy, he set off on a journey to gain immortality instead.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pierce posted:

I was so excited by Odin being on my team until I saw him.

But Odin's design owns? :confused:

W.T. Fits posted:

I was actually wondering about what mythology would be used for Persona 5 the other day, too. Specifically, I was trying to remember if there were any other mythologies out there which featured stories of a hero descending to the realm of the dead to try (and ultimately fail) to bring a loved one back to life.

Or maybe they could find a new hook that doesn't involve going down to the underworld. I mean they dropped the Sun God thing for P3 (and I guess technically EP but that's kind of different)

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Geez, Devil Survivor 2 got really hard, now that I'm just starting Day 3. Even the Free Battle is a little too hard. Should I just do the story stuff for now if the free battles are too much? It might help to have a 4th person, but I'm not really sure how to proceed, frankly.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

PurplieNurplie posted:

Geez, Devil Survivor 2 got really hard, now that I'm just starting Day 3. Even the Free Battle is a little too hard. Should I just do the story stuff for now if the free battles are too much? It might help to have a 4th person, but I'm not really sure how to proceed, frankly.
Free Battles give you the option of retreating whenever you want (from the system menu), so you can go in, kill what you can manage and retreat when you've had your fill. That way, you can gain levels/experience until you're satisfied.

TurnipFritter posted:

But Odin's design owns? :confused:
rip cool demon designs.

At least they had the decency to redesign Loki for Devil Survivor 1 and maintained that redesign for the next batch of games, like Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dante Logos posted:

So guys, remember when a YouTube channel popped up with music that was supposed to be in Persona 5? The one that was a clear hoax? Well, they updated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I702jEFIZ7w&feature=BFa&list=UU3RvLlYTuHzVY5I41P48soQ

I hate the fact that I am being trolled in this manner, but the music is pretty catchy, so I can't complain too much.

And yeah, something based on Egyptian or Norse mythology would be pretty cool. Hell, just something based on Irish myth would be pretty cool.

I'd like Irish if only because then Cu Chulainn would probably stop being a paletteswap of Tam Lin.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nahxela posted:

Free Battles give you the option of retreating whenever you want (from the system menu), so you can go in, kill what you can manage and retreat when you've had your fill. That way, you can gain levels/experience until you're satisfied.

rip cool demon designs.

At least they had the decency to redesign Loki for Devil Survivor 1 and maintained that redesign for the next batch of games, like Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2.

Cool Odin will make his return with the Soul Hackers 3DS port!
So will Cool Redesign Loki, which is actually from Soul Hackers in the first place!
(This makes the use of lovely Old Loki in so many PS2 games seem even more confusing)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I still don't know why their skin is purple. I think that's the worst thing, other than Odin's relaxed attitude towards clothing. They both just end up looking like DBZ characters.

That Soul Hackers Odin looks badass though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Technique posted:

I still don't know why their skin is purple. I think that's the worst thing, other than Odin's relaxed attitude towards clothing. They both just end up looking like DBZ characters.

Damnit, now you've ruined the design for me, now! I can't unsee them as DBZ characters.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

TurnipFritter posted:

(This makes the use of lovely Old Loki in so many PS2 games seem even more confusing)

I think it's like how there are two designs for Angel and Lilim that get used based on whether the SMT game in question is mainline or not.

In the case of Angel, if it is mainline post-apocalyptic, she has the bondage outfit. If not, she has a robe.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think it probably involves several factors like when the game's development began, what mythologies the game focuses more on (Persona 3 has lovely old red-skinned Susano-o while Persona 4 has a crazy new design for Yosuke's canonical persona), and when/where they can reuse models and other art assets. Like the newer Persona games had bondage Angel, presumably because Persona 3 used the same assets as Nocturne and Persona 4 used the same assets as Persona 3.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Since we're talking about about mythologies, has Sun Wukong appeared in any of the Megami Tensei games? I know there's Hanuman in Devil Survivor 1 and Persona 4 but I want to see the Monkey King, damnit.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

Since we're talking about about mythologies, has Sun Wukong appeared in any of the Megami Tensei games? I know there's Hanuman in Devil Survivor 1 and Persona 4 but I want to see the Monkey King, damnit.

Yes, several games.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Jesus loving christ. Mizar. I just... ugh. gently caress you, Atlus. gently caress you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished DS2 and boy was that last day really stupid. The game was enjoyable but it honestly felt like it didn't do much better than the first Devil Survivor. The gameplay was exactly the same with the exception of the FatevSystem, which was kind of nice, I guess. Best characters were definitely Jungo, Jungo, Joe, Makoto and Io. Also the Anguished One had a pretty rad ending.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Finished DS2 and boy was that last day really stupid. The game was enjoyable but it honestly felt like it didn't do much better than the first Devil Survivor.

I didn't like the story and stuff (like DS1 better in general), but the gameplay in DS2 is markedly better. More skills, better balance, less idiotic AI.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just hope they nix that stupid turn cost for defending bullshit in the inevitable Devil Survivor 3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Technique posted:

Jesus loving christ. Mizar. I just... ugh. gently caress you, Atlus. gently caress you.

Yeah, that was one of my major brick walls too. You'll get past it. The final boss will also be a complete rear end in a top hat, but you'll get past it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus made a post on the PlayStation Blog about Persona 4 Golden

Atlus replies to one of the comments with something very inspiring

quote:

Any news on returning VA cast? Or can we expect replacement voice actors such as Teddy in the Arena Tutorial. If so will these mean reworking all of their voice work?

An official response to your question:

Persona 4 Arena, being a fighting game with one of the most substantial story modes the genre has yet seen, represents one of the most ambitious recording projects in ATLUS history. Every effort was made to retain the fantastic talents of the Persona 3 and Persona 4 voice casts, who were responsible for making those roleplaying games so memorable.

In a couple cases, however—including Teddie, as noticed by fans—and despite our best efforts, circumstances mandated that changes be made. We’re confident in the quality of the final English dub and ask fans to reserve judgment until they can see—or in this case, hear—how each character has been brought to life within the game’s full context.

Any changes for Persona 4 Arena with regards to the voice cast *do not necessarily indicate* changes for Persona 4 Golden.

Shine on, Golden!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I hate Keita so goddamn much and i wish i had let the little rear end in a top hat die. At least i already have something to look forward to in my next playthrough!

Also, for Mizar, how many times do you have to beat up its tentacles? On my first go i just beat the second set with 30% left of the Dragon Stream, and i just shut the DS right the gently caress off when it grabbed hold again.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
That was the last time right there, the fight will end once both die no matter what else is still alive so just rush down the final set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

That was the last time right there, the fight will end once both die no matter what else is still alive so just rush down the final set.

Oh thank god. I'll probably be able to beat it when i try again tomorrow, then.