Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm all about BBQ hacks but don't try it for the first time when you are planning to feed other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks.. I'll probably try slow roasting it in the oven, I suppose. I only have a gas grill and a little charcoal football grill that the brisket might not even fit in. I did find a method for smoking on a gas grill, but as you said, probably best not to experiment when I'm feeding others.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

marauderthirty posted:

Thanks.. I'll probably try slow roasting it in the oven, I suppose. I only have a gas grill and a little charcoal football grill that the brisket might not even fit in. I did find a method for smoking on a gas grill, but as you said, probably best not to experiment when I'm feeding others.

Before I bought a smoker I used to use a smoke box on a weber gas grill. It works but you have to open the lid every 20-30 minutes which makes everything very, very, very difficult.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

marauderthirty posted:

I recommend putting it on the other side of a lit gas grill with foiled ball of chips/chunks on a medium-low burner for about ~2 hours to give the brisket some smoke and bark, then finish in the oven.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

It's obviously not the same but I've done braised brisket in the oven a bunch of times and it's stupid simple if you're stuck on that piece of meat.

Tri Tip is my goto choice when wanting to feed a bunch of people some tasty beef. Maybe 3 hours of cooking on the smoker, less on a grill. Still ends up really juicy even overcooked if you have people who like that too.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm only set on the brisket because my mom donated one that had been sitting in her freezer, and if I don't make it then it's just going to sit in my freezer that much longer. Plus side is we are only having 2 close friends over who would be more than understanding if it somehow went awry and we were forced to order pizza, so I think I'm going to try pre-smoking on the grill and finishing in the oven.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

marauderthirty posted:

I'm only set on the brisket because my mom donated one that had been sitting in her freezer, and if I don't make it then it's just going to sit in my freezer that much longer. Plus side is we are only having 2 close friends over who would be more than understanding if it somehow went awry and we were forced to order pizza, so I think I'm going to try pre-smoking on the grill and finishing in the oven.

Be sure to use multiple layers of foil in the wood ball to prevent them just going up in flame right away.

Let us know how it turns out!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just got this in the mail:

I'm ready for Superbowl Sunday

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drunk Nerds posted:

You're ready for a lot of things, buddy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm also going to get a whole packer brisket to gently caress with on my smoker this weekend. The Amazing Ribs recipe has you crutch, but I really won't be in a hurry... is it somehow "better" this way?

What kind of woods? One of the guys at work from Texas says this is the only time he uses Mesquite, which I have but also haven't used (only really smoked pork and cold smoked cheeses so far).

Also, what kind of sauce to work in for the burnt ends? KC style?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

marauderthirty posted:

the Amazing Ribs guy's Texas sauce can mask a tough brisket pretty well, I'd make a batch.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/texas_BBQ_mop-sauce.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm really enthusiastic about this injector. The company owner seems to be a really cool guy, too.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Hed posted:

I'm also going to get a whole packer brisket to gently caress with on my smoker this weekend. The Amazing Ribs recipe has you crutch, but I really won't be in a hurry... is it somehow "better" this way?

What kind of woods? One of the guys at work from Texas says this is the only time he uses Mesquite, which I have but also haven't used (only really smoked pork and cold smoked cheeses so far).

Also, what kind of sauce to work in for the burnt ends? KC style?

Rub it down the night guy before with 1 part salt, 2 parts pepper and a touch of ground mustard. Smoke over oak, no crutch just 225 till you hit 200F internal, but plan for at least 1 hour per lb. Err on the side of it being done early, it can sit on the countertop for a while and you'll want time to get it sliced up anyway. Sauce optional, but I favor Apple cider vinegar spiked with ground chilis and black pepper.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 28, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Looking to upgrade my home depot $49 smoker, now that I have a few years experience under my belt.

Was thinking of this guy
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...eat+smoker+wood

Anyone have experience? Have an opinion on electric vs wood? I would love to hear it. From this thread, it seems like electric can give just as good smoke look/taste as wood.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys have lifted the scales from mine eyes. gently caress Traeger pellets. Just ordered 40 lbs of cookinpellets' Perfect Mix. It seems like Traeger is worse than I thought, particularly on the west coast, where the pellets are entirely alder with flavorwood oil. loving oil! Sorry I ever doubted any of you guys. :(

edit: the scare tactics about OOOH you'll need to vacuum out the ash so much more often it could start a fire is hilarious on Traeger's part. Sweeping it out is easy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really hope Smokehouse pellets are good because I bought a bunch of them.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
For a regular old electric smoker box, do I want pellets or chips?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna smoke a butt tomorrow, and I was going to inject and rub it tonight. Should I leave it uncovered in the fridge or wrap it up?

Also, preferred butt injection? I'm using memphis dust for the rub because, well, i like it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, preferred butt injection? I'm using memphis dust for the rub because, well, i like it.
I usually just do a brine with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar to add the right level of salt throughout the butt, but you can get fancy with worcestershire or soy or whatever you like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

I usually just do a brine with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar to add the right level of salt throughout the butt, but you can get fancy with worcestershire or soy or whatever you like.

I've been doing juice, vinegar, salt, and l&p. Maybe add some sugar?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I've been doing juice, vinegar, salt, and l&p. Maybe add some sugar?
Yeah, brown sugar's good, depending on what level of sweetness you're going for in your finished product. I'll usually include it for butts and leave it out for loin roasts.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I sometimes do a take on a tenderloin recipe I like called island pork when I do butts. Definitely on the sweeter side but extremely good. My injection for that is brown sugar dissolved in water with some salt/pepper/garlic and about a half tablespoon of Tabasco or your preferred neural hot sauce to add just a little heat. It's very good, but not for everyone.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

Rub it down the night guy before with 1 part salt, 2 parts pepper and a touch of ground mustard. Smoke over oak, no crutch just 225 till you hit 200F internal, but plan for at least 1 hour per lb. Err on the side of it being done early, it can sit on the countertop for a while and you'll want time to get it sliced up anyway. Sauce optional, but I favor Apple cider vinegar spiked with ground chilis and black pepper.

Thank you! I'll need to get some oak but this is exactly the kind of guidance I need. :cheerdoge:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Looking to upgrade my home depot $49 smoker, now that I have a few years experience under my belt.

Was thinking of this guy
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...eat+smoker+wood

Anyone have experience? Have an opinion on electric vs wood? I would love to hear it. From this thread, it seems like electric can give just as good smoke look/taste as wood.

I love my MB Electric because it is pretty much set and forget. Do yourself a favor though and get the 40" instead of that 30". It doesn't hurt to have the extra space when you don't need it but it sucks to not have it when you do. A friend of mine has the 30" and he has trouble with big groups or when he did a turkey. He had to buy a smaller turkey and still had to remove everything from the inside to get it to fit.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

About how long should a 5-6 lb duck smoke for at 250 degrees? Is 3 hours too long?

I'm assuming it's a little too long, but I don't have a thermometer on-hand.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Got my IQ110, mixed up some rub and did up a poor man's brisket (chuck roast) and vacuum sealed it for overnight. Now I just need motivation to dig out my smoker from underneath a couple feet of snow tomorrow AM. :(

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chicken quarters, a pound of mushrooms, and corn all on the smoker for about an hour and a half last night.

It was so damned delicious.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Beef has been on for 8 hours or so now and at 167f internal. I think I may be reaching the tail end of stall. After some disagreement between the IQ110 probe and my Keg's thermometer, it has been nailed at 225f. It is nice because I have the top damper at the lowest/smallest setting and while it stops spiking, the fan has no issue pushing fresh air in as needed. It is about 20f outside and I am going to take notes for future use. I imagine in warm weather it may take a different damper and fan setting.

Instilling a bit of confidence.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I smoked a couple of Salmon Fillets yesterday (sorry no pics) with Cherry wood and threw in a pan with some Sea Salt. So now I have a bunch of Cherry Smoked Sea Salt. It was in for about 5 1/2 hours but I think I am going to throw it in again next time I use Cherry to smoke something.

I bought a 20lb bag off of Amazon with the intention of making a bunch of different flavors of it for myself and as gifts.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Drunk Nerds posted:

For a regular old electric smoker box, do I want pellets or chips?

Chips. If you've got an AMNPs, then use pellets in that.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Odd. My chuck roast was in at a steady 225f for 12 hours or so until it reached 190 internal. Wonderful flavor but really dried out. Bad piece of beef? Somehow I suspect the stall went on too long due to too much moisture inside it.

A thought: Has anyone dry aged a slab of beef prior to smoking to see if the stall would be shorter?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cartouche posted:

Odd. My chuck roast was in at a steady 225f for 12 hours or so until it reached 190 internal. Wonderful flavor but really dried out. Bad piece of beef? Somehow I suspect the stall went on too long due to too much moisture inside it.

A thought: Has anyone dry aged a slab of beef prior to smoking to see if the stall would be shorter?

Yea, sounds like you needed to crutch it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I smoked a 10 pound butt this weekend and because I couldn't find my injector I didn't inject it. It took close to 12 hours, and when I pulled it, was the best butt I've made yet. Good bark, and great texture to the meat...moist without being wet. I think I may forgo injecting from now on.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I smoked a 10 pound butt this weekend and because I couldn't find my injector I didn't inject it. It took close to 12 hours, and when I pulled it, was the best butt I've made yet. Good bark, and great texture to the meat...moist without being wet. I think I may forgo injecting from now on.

The scoring helps? People say it "gets the rub in deeper" or "it helps render the fat."

What's your deal man?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

fyodor posted:

The scoring helps? People say it "gets the rub in deeper" or "it helps render the fat."

What's your deal man?

It's like go faster stripes, looks sexy as gently caress!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do it because it looks awesome

edit: I assume it renders the fat better. I doubt it makes any difference with the rub especially since i didn't get the rub all up in there. Also, that pic was about 8 hours into the cook.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 3, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea it looks good. I'm going to steal that.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I've never injected butts.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cartouche posted:

I've never injected butts.

It's pretty great. The secret is to take it slow at first, and make sure everything stays relaxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Trig Discipline posted:

It's pretty great. The secret is to take it slow at first, and make sure everything stays relaxed.

:golfclap: