Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
^^^ Put in a routine to ban this guy from the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Are you saying the app is good? Lol

Put in the routine I'm sure it won't have unintended side effects.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Source for the old app is on github, if you love it so much why don't you go compile it and put it into the app store?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The back button should really not care if a page is loading or not, it should just interrupt whatever is going on and go back. That and the app reloading the list every time it hits a page or a forum or the bookmarks makes it feel really sluggish to me.

I still love the app but it feels more noticeable lately.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The last couple days I've been having some serious problems on 3G connections. Sometimes threads will just load forever, and if the phone locks, or I tab out and go do something else and then come back, the app crashes when I go back into Awful. I don't mind connection timeouts, especially on 3G, but the app used to pop up a "Connection Timed Out" error and let me retry, and now it just crashes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

kraftwerk singles posted:

Are you saying the app is good? Lol

Put in the routine I'm sure it won't have unintended side effects.

You should check out the other app. It's called "Safari".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Instead of adding new features why not revert to the pre iOS 7 version of the app which worked flawlessly.

Congratulations on making the only app that freezes so hard I can't even quit it with the home button. Try viewing a profile lol.

And what's the point of filtering posts by a user if you can't unfilter by a post to get the context like you could in the old version.

Old-awful was not flawless. But the bugs it had were less annoying than the bugs this has, and the effort that has gone into the current buggy neu-awful would've produced a much less buddy old-awful instead.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

You should check out the other app. It's called "Safari".

You should stop sucking up rear end like a loving loser.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If I get the ipa of the old Awful app from one iOS 6 device, would it work if I transferred it to a newer, iOS 7 device? It should be associated with the same AppleID.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The back button should really not care if a page is loading or not, it should just interrupt whatever is going on and go back. That and the app reloading the list every time it hits a page or a forum or the bookmarks makes it feel really sluggish to me.

Yeah the automatic reloading is my biggest problem. Profiles work fine for me, so my annoyance is just waiting while the app is doing a refresh I didn't request. It's especially annoying when I realize the threads have been re-ordered. I'll sometimes forget and hit back when I see the wrong thread being loaded, and then my read posts get messed up in that thread since a page loads that I never see. I think clicking on a thread should cancel the refresh, as should hitting back.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Last Chance posted:

If I get the ipa of the old Awful app from one iOS 6 device, would it work if I transferred it to a newer, iOS 7 device? It should be associated with the same AppleID.

Yes, it should. I did this when I discovered the old app saved in my itunes library.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Instead of adding new features why not revert to the pre iOS 7 version of the app which worked flawlessly.

Congratulations on making the only app that freezes so hard I can't even quit it with the home button. Try viewing a profile lol.

And what's the point of filtering posts by a user if you can't unfilter by a post to get the context like you could in the old version.

While I have no desire to revert now, in retrospect it would've been much smarter to just keep working on the old app. I got excited when iOS 7 was announced, bit off more than I wanted to chew, and ran into some problems using new iOS 7 stuff.

Profile crash is fixed in the next version. Good point about removing the filter, it's on the list.

Basically

Javid posted:

Old-awful was not flawless. But the bugs it had were less annoying than the bugs this has, and the effort that has gone into the current buggy neu-awful would've produced a much less buddy old-awful instead.
is bang on, in retrospect.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Agreed. Gotta hunker down and fix the slowness.

jivjov posted:

The last couple days I've been having some serious problems on 3G connections. Sometimes threads will just load forever, and if the phone locks, or I tab out and go do something else and then come back, the app crashes when I go back into Awful. I don't mind connection timeouts, especially on 3G, but the app used to pop up a "Connection Timed Out" error and let me retry, and now it just crashes.

I'll take a look at the crash logs and figure out what's going on, that's pretty lovely.

Last Chance posted:

Yep.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
iPhone 4, firmware 3.0.04, app crashes as soon as it's opened. Uninstalled reinstalled. Still crashing.

Love the app, tho.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegetable Melange posted:

iPhone 4, firmware 3.0.04, app crashes as soon as it's opened. Uninstalled reinstalled. Still crashing.

Love the app, tho.

That's very impressive! No idea how we pulled that one off.

Guess we have to hope there's a useful crash log. Sorry about that.

5NF
Nov 16, 2011

Will you be bringing font size adjusting back? I like my text tiny.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

5NF posted:

Will you be bringing font size adjusting back? I like my text tiny.

If you like tiny text you can set it globally in Settings.app and the app will respect that

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If someone makes the classic Awful available I'd go back if only for the bookmarks button in thread view. I still miss that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

101 posted:

If you like tiny text you can set it globally in Settings.app and the app will respect that

What was the reasoning behind removing the feature, though?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Kaethela posted:

Because global font settings was supposed to be this cool new feature of iOS7, but seems like a combination of Apple's lovely effort and 3rd party apps not widely adopting it have sort of made it a point that most people miss. I think the old in-app font sizing is going to make a return, but don't quote me on it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kaethela posted:

I assume it was iOS 7 fever. Removing their own code and putting in stock solutions? Tweetbot 3 did it too but later added in none-universal font size as an option.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Global font sounds really annoying anyway because sometimes I want each app to have a different font size. Just because I might want small text in Awful doesn't mean I want it everywhere else. Plus, I'd rather be able to change something like that on the fly (just like dark/light themes), so it's a hassle going back to the settings.app.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have my font set to the smallest possible size in Settings and it doesn't even look that small in Awful. Global font might sound like a good idea on paper but it's not implemented all that well.

5NF
Nov 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have my font set to the smallest possible size in Settings and it doesn't even look that small in Awful. Global font might sound like a good idea on paper but it's not implemented all that well.

Yeah same here, i think in the non-ios7 version i was able to set the font very small within the Awful app.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

pokeyman posted:

That's very impressive! No idea how we pulled that one off.

Guess we have to hope there's a useful crash log. Sorry about that.

Same happening on my iPad 2, started last night.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Brain Curry posted:

Yeah the automatic reloading is my biggest problem. Profiles work fine for me, so my annoyance is just waiting while the app is doing a refresh I didn't request. It's especially annoying when I realize the threads have been re-ordered. I'll sometimes forget and hit back when I see the wrong thread being loaded, and then my read posts get messed up in that thread since a page loads that I never see. I think clicking on a thread should cancel the refresh, as should hitting back.

I agree 100%. That's my only annoyance with the current version and if back and clicking a thread canceled loading it would be perfect.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I like the new version just fine, thank you.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Vegetable Melange posted:

Love the app, tho.

I'm using an iPhone 4 and Awful.app crashes about 1/3 of the time? Most of the time just when I'm trying to open the app. Once I actually get it open and start reading, it works great, it doesn't crash.

I think it may be iOS 7 more than the app itself. The iPhone 4 can't handle it but my old iPhone 5 ran it great. Wish it didn't get stolen...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The new version works fine for me on wifi, but the moment I lose the wifi connection it starts crashing.

I mean, it's reasonable for it not to work, since I don't have mobile data enabled at the moment, but I feel this case could be handled more elegantly perhaps

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm using an iPhone 4 and Awful.app crashes about 1/3 of the time? Most of the time just when I'm trying to open the app. Once I actually get it open and start reading, it works great, it doesn't crash.

I think it may be iOS 7 more than the app itself. The iPhone 4 can't handle it but my old iPhone 5 ran it great. Wish it didn't get stolen...

I think I have a clue about this crash on launch, but I'm not sure what exactly is going on. I added some logging in the next version that might help narrow it down, and I'll keep thinking on it in the meantime.

Soricidus posted:

The new version works fine for me on wifi, but the moment I lose the wifi connection it starts crashing.

I mean, it's reasonable for it not to work, since I don't have mobile data enabled at the moment, but I feel this case could be handled more elegantly perhaps

Agreed. I'll see what I can do.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

The app has been working fine for me, but all of the sudden, every time I try to access the General Chat thread in Cinema Discusso, it stalls out and either crashes or just goes back to the thread list and marks the page I was trying to read as already viewed. Not sure if it's my end or the thread...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

The app has been working fine for me, but all of the sudden, every time I try to access the General Chat thread in Cinema Discusso, it stalls out and either crashes or just goes back to the thread list and marks the page I was trying to read as already viewed. Not sure if it's my end or the thread...

It only happens with that particular thread? I can take a look. It does sound like a more general problem though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The submenu under SAS still shows The Olympics forum and no longer shows The Football Funhouse. Also, any time I click on SAS' main forum the app crashes.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ok how's this for a suggestion:

In the youtube app, if your orientation is locked, you can still press the expand button to turn the video full screen landscape.

In Awful, the expand button for embedded youtube videos only zooms in (useless). I don't know if it's possible, but it's be KILLER for awfuls embedded Youtubes to behave the same as the app when the expand button is tapped.

Yay? Nay?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Bigass Moth posted:

The submenu under SAS still shows The Olympics forum and no longer shows The Football Funhouse. Also, any time I click on SAS' main forum the app crashes.

Try reinstalling or relogging. I still see the Olympics sub forum which just loads blank but the football one is there and SAS loads fine for me.

ugly contest
Feb 17, 2010
I have an iPhone 4S and with the update the app crashes immediately when I open it. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. Then I tried to install it on ipad 2 and had the same issue.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

That sucks! Try logging out and back in? Not sure what else to suggest unfortunately, except that I'll see the crash reports and take a look.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Ok how's this for a suggestion:

In the youtube app, if your orientation is locked, you can still press the expand button to turn the video full screen landscape.

In Awful, the expand button for embedded youtube videos only zooms in (useless). I don't know if it's possible, but it's be KILLER for awfuls embedded Youtubes to behave the same as the app when the expand button is tapped.

Yay? Nay?

I'm not sure. I always watch in landscape, but I'm sure some weirdo who watches in portrait will complain loudly when they're stuck with fullscreen landscape YouTube videos.

Might make sense for iPhone though. iPad, I think I'd rather leave it.

ugly contest posted:

I have an iPhone 4S and with the update the app crashes immediately when I open it. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. Then I tried to install it on ipad 2 and had the same issue.

That also sucks! Trying to fix these up.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

pokeyman posted:

It only happens with that particular thread? I can take a look. It does sound like a more general problem though.

It seems to be working again now. I don't know if it was the page I was on or what. Thanks for looking into it - I'll let you know if it resumes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
this post has a
code:
>
Instead of a
code:
>

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

this post has a
code:
>
Instead of a
code:
>

In the browser I see
code:
>
as well, so I think Awful's doing the right thing in showing the post.

I imagine they meant to post
code:
>
, so hopefully they didn't use Awful to write the post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oops, I should have checked it in a browser.

• Locked thread