Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

:lol: That guy in the background. At first I thought he disapproved of Biden, then I remembered that it's Delaware and that's probably a look of approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

:lol: That guy in the background. At first I thought he disapproved of Biden, then I remembered that it's Delaware and that's probably a look of approval.

Nah, that's the DC branch.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

mdemone posted:

I bet the physical demands of a 21st-century presidential campaign are just hell on one's mental faculties. If it's anything like as bad as having a newborn baby...let's just say I would not trust myself to make important decisions in such a state.

Yeah, campaigning is absurd. Every waking moment for months is spent working on your campaign and it's all just an unending pile of crap to wade through. You're stuck with the same crowd of people every minute that you're not in public or in your bedroom and all of them are trying to pull you in all different directions. All the politicians nominally "on your side" are House-of-Cards wannabes with their own interests, an egocentric worldview, and an undying love of hearing themselves talk. Then there are the actual voters you have to deal with. Talking to people and shaking hands and giving stump speeches all day is actually draining. The days where you spend hours and hours on the phone begging people for money are the easy ones. You just straight up don't get to turn it off - even on "vacation" you still have to color inside the lines to avoid a story. You don't get sick days, because there's only 7 weeks until Election Day and we can't cancel these events. One snap in public can cost you months of hard work, and even one mis-speak in private can cost you heavily is support. And so much of it is just completely out of your control no matter how hard you work. Not to mention that at the end of the marathon you get told in dribs and drabs over the course of a long night what the course of your life will look like for the next couple of years - where you're going to live and what you'll be doing is entirely contingent upon that.

And all of that is for a local race. If you're doing something state-wide or Presidential, you're spending half your life in a car or bus (or plane) and you're spending most nights in a cheap-rear end hotel and eating lovely food on the go when you're not doing some dumb fundraising dinner where the tickets are $100+ and the entree's worse than Applebee's.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 22, 2013

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I was able to get into a $1000 fundraiser (as a last minute fill in), and that food was amazing. They had a Top Chef contestant cater.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Joementum posted:

Today in ongoing coverage of Joe Biden's existence.

Has there ever been someone better suited to their present political station?

Can they're just be a honorary life-time position for Biden? I don't want him to run for the Dem. nomination, but I also never want him to go away.

Keep on shinning you crazy Biden.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Puppet Master posted:

Can they're just be a honorary life-time position for Biden? I don't want him to run for the Dem. nomination, but I also never want him to go away.

Vice Presidents don't have term limits. Just sayin.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe he can badger his replacement to step aside and let him be senator again.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

The Puppet Master posted:

Ambassador to the Confederate States.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Joementum posted:

Today in ongoing coverage of Joe Biden's existence.

Has there ever been someone better suited to their present political station?

As a Delaware native, I'm so proud to have given America the gift of Joe Biden :911:

(And Capriotti's is loving amazing.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The New York Times is having some fun at Aqua Buddha's expense. See if you can spot it at the end of this.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

ufarn posted:

The New York Times is having some fun at Aqua Buddha's expense. See if you can spot it at the end of this.

Ugh :siren: Benghazi :siren:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Malcolm posted:

I was pretty proud of him the way he dodged that shoe, you have to admit he was pretty on the ball there. Standing strong for American values while Nouri al-Maliki limp-wristedly swipes at the air.

I have never noticed that he (Bush) grins after the first shoe is thrown. Probably wasn't expecting to dodge it.

It's a global difference between that and this, where Republican grins are concerned:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
An interesting article in the Times over the holiday weekend on efforts by the Clintons to repair relations with African-American political leaders after 2008. Whether it's a sign of lessons learned or pure cynicism is open to debate, but I'm hoping it's the former. If a candidate of color runs in the primary and gets traction, I guess we'll see.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Interesting use of "blacks". Is that what the NYT style manual reads?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
No clue, but it definitely does jump out at you when you read it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I noticed that Frank Rich also uses it. Maybe it is.

Let's hope this outreach effort means Biden won't be talking about putting people back in chains.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I don't have my stylebook on hand to define it, but as far as I know "Blacks" and "Black Americans" is the preferred terminology - particularly when you aren't speaking specifically about African-Americans who have African heritage. It's broadly used in NYT and AP articles.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Black is a better term to describe the group in question. When people say African Americans they mean black people. African American could also describe Arab immigrants from North Africa, or Afrikaner immigrants from South Africa, and they aren't the people that the term is meant to describe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Armyman25 posted:

Black is a better term to describe the group in question. When people say African Americans they mean black people. African American could also describe Arab immigrants from North Africa, or Afrikaner immigrants from South Africa, and they aren't the people that the term is meant to describe.

And just in general calling a black guy from Africa "African-American" is incorrect, just like calling a native born Chinese person "Asian-American" would be wrong.

It's probably appropriate to use AA to describe the particular native black society in the US though, as they are a distinctive group from native Africans and have been for some time.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

And just in general calling a black guy from Africa "African-American" is incorrect, just like calling a native born Chinese person "Asian-American" would be wrong.

It's probably appropriate to use AA to describe the particular native black society in the US though, as they are a distinctive group from native Africans and have been for some time.

Which works well until you have to describe an Afro-Caribbean or African immigrant to the United States who wasn't raised in the same cultural context as the people most people associate with African-American.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

computer parts posted:

a black guy

native black society

I may be imagining this, but in my whitewashed upbringing "a black guy" was acceptable, but "a black" was not, as it sounds like makes a person into an object. Same applies to "blacks", rather than something like what you said, which reads fine.

It's also the difference between "He's Jewish" and "He's a Jew", the latter doesn't seem to convey the same respect as the former.

All that said, I'm pretty sure that the NYTs article was worded awkwardly to imply it was an awkward thing she was doing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's just that any time somebody starts a sentence with "oh boy, THE BLACKS..." you almost know that what's coming isn't good. In those rare cases where you need to refer to all of the black people, it's appropriate. I can't imagine a more appropriate time to use the word than "the Clintons, pivoting to black people."

Clinton, literally making a pivoting motion in front of black people

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I can't really think of an example where "blacks" is more appropriate than "black people," except for perhaps making your headline fit a character-limit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's never acceptable to put "the" in front of the name of an ethnic group. It's as big a douchebag giveaway as calling women "females".

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

Cheekio posted:

I may be imagining this, but in my whitewashed upbringing "a black guy" was acceptable, but "a black" was not, as it sounds like makes a person into an object. Same applies to "blacks", rather than something like what you said, which reads fine.

It's also the difference between "He's Jewish" and "He's a Jew", the latter doesn't seem to convey the same respect as the former.

It completely depends on the context an individual has heard a particular phrase used in. To me, "Jewish person" and "Jew" are both completely innocuous, but then I didn't grow up around the sort of people who use "Jew" as an insult.

On the other hand, I know that calling a person from China "a Chinese" is no more insulting than calling someone from Scotland "a Scot", but somehow using "Chinese" as a noun leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

haveblue posted:

It's never acceptable to put "the" in front of the name of an ethnic group. It's as big a douchebag giveaway as calling women "females".

I tried for about ten minutes to put "the" or "a" in front of women, females, ladies, the whole gamut, and when it all sounded fine I realized I might be more sexist than I thought.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cheekio posted:

I tried for about ten minutes to put "the" or "a" in front of women, females, ladies, the whole gamut, and when it all sounded fine I realized I might be more sexist than I thought.

"A ladies" just makes you grammatically unskilled.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
"The females" makes a fedora materialize on your head. It is a bad quality fedora.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cheekio posted:

haveblue posted:

I think he means referring to women as "females", which a lot of women feel objectifies them, because it refers to their gender (female). Since the word for "female human" is "woman", using "female" instead of "woman" is seen as emphasizing "you have a vagina" over "you are a person".

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Patter Song posted:

Which works well until you have to describe an Afro-Caribbean or African immigrant to the United States who wasn't raised in the same cultural context as the people most people associate with African-American.

My parents are from Morocco and I'm olive skinned at best, if not white as hell, yet it would be straight up inaccurate to describe me as anything other than African-American given the current style parameters. What now?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Perennial almost-candidate Donald Trump decided to boldly declare his exceptionalism today.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

My parents are from Morocco and I'm olive skinned at best, if not white as hell, yet it would be straight up inaccurate to describe me as anything other than African-American given the current style parameters. What now?

Paper bag test - it's the only way to be sure. Though perhaps for the future-proofing the NYT should switch to RGB: "Hillary Clinton pivots to <F5F5DC voters"

I thought "black" was a consciously chosen label campaigned for by the black political movement to replace coloured in the sixties?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You'd be considered Moroccan American because the African part of African American is generally understood to mean sub-Saharan African. Yes that's problematic as all hell.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

What about Pirate American? :black101:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Stormagetiton posted:

I think he means referring to women as "females", which a lot of women feel objectifies them, because it refers to their gender (female). Since the word for "female human" is "woman", using "female" instead of "woman" is seen as emphasizing "you have a vagina" over "you are a person".
Couple of things, 'female' is a person's sex not their gender strictly speaking, and the problem with it's overuse is not so much objectification as dehumanization. People think they are being clinical but it's not actually more accurate when you're primarily identifying a person by gender traits to use the gendered term.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

comes along bort posted:

You'd be considered Moroccan American because the African part of African American is generally understood to mean sub-Saharan African. Yes that's problematic as all hell.

As a Canadian, the fetish you all have for finely parsing and hyphenating ethnicity and skin colour is loving insane. When I lived in Colorado, the deep need to separate 'hispanic' from 'white' creeped me out big time.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
The theoretical question that I can't find a satisfactory answer for is: how far removed from an ancestral homeland can you be and still claim the label?

Most (X)-American family trees need to go back multiple generations to find an actual (X). Does it stretch indefinitely? I have the same conceptual problem with my own «French-Canadian» descent- the last French subject in my ancestry was like 250 years ago. (That said, I use Québécois, it's simpler and actually actual)

Basically, how can we best express the different communal experiences of a Citizen of [Distant/Recent] Foreign Ancestry?

Amusingly, I'd say Obama has a pretty good case for being African-American, being the son of a Kenyan and a Kansan.

Disclaimer: None of the above should be taken as denying the agency/right of communities to define themselves as they see fit; if they want a name, they'll take it, and my pedantic musings are irrelevant.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Do you feel like you are, by virtue of your lineage, part of a distinct culture within your country which is not the dominant culture? Would you like to identify yourself as such? Then it is probably appropriate for you to use a [culture]-[nationality] label.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ronald McReagan posted:

Do you feel like you are, by virtue of your lineage, part of a distinct culture within your country which is not the dominant culture? Would you like to identify yourself as such? Then it is probably appropriate for you to use a [culture]-[nationality] label.

Or if you're Jim Webb and you want to lay claim to being extra white.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Warren has pledged to serve out her full term and not run for president, so let that put an end to that.

• Locked thread