Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

smr posted:

So, I'm kinda bummed that Apple got rid of the one-piece Smart Case for the Mini 4. I just side-migrated from an Ipad Air 2 to a Mini 4 due to the better form factor for me, and I'm burning with envy at my wife's Mini 3 with the full one-piece case. I have the Smart Cover, but I really do not like the newer hinge construction (floppier) and the open-side of the cover's lip now extends past the tablet itself like it's expecting the back piece to be there to line up with.

Asinine cost aside, do I just punt and get the smart cover back piece for this thing? Is it comparable in fit to the old one-piece designs? Or is there a non-Apple one-piece for the Mini 4 that's as good as Apple's stuff usually is?

I always run my full-size iPad's with just a smart cover but I feel like the Minis need back and front coverage for some dumb reason.

Literally every case is better than the apple ones as far as utility.

I don't find any useable stand angles with the Smart Cover / case, as it's just not stable.

Look around a bit, there are plenty of options, including leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the smart cover is a great cover but a lovely stand and it's starting to annoy me
lovely as in collapsing or you just want more stand functionality? Cause if it's the former you might be folding it the wrong way (which sounds dumb but that's how it works).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I've had a smart cover since the original version of it. I've used it as a stand nearly daily as long as that. I've literally never had it fall over unless I like smack it or pull on the power cord by accident or something. I seriously have no idea what in the gently caress other people are doing "wrong". While I don't like the current 3-panel smart cover as much as the old 4-panel one, it's still perfectly serviceable.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

wooger posted:

Literally every case is better than the apple ones as far as utility.

I don't find any useable stand angles with the Smart Cover / case, as it's just not stable.

Look around a bit, there are plenty of options, including leather.

I should've been more clear; I'm always holding my iPad, I never prop it up via the stand on anything. It's just not how I use it. Given that, the Apple smart case, with the good leather and fit and good latch, was perfect. That's what I'm looking to replicate. I've got the Mini 4's Smart Cover and picked up the Smart Case yesterday and they're okay but what the gently caress is with this lip that rises a good 2-3mm above the edges of the actual iPad face now? Christ, Apple, you had this sorted, why you gotta ruin a thing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ddogflex posted:

I've had a smart cover since the original version of it. I've used it as a stand nearly daily as long as that. I've literally never had it fall over unless I like smack it or pull on the power cord by accident or something. I seriously have no idea what in the gently caress other people are doing "wrong". While I don't like the current 3-panel smart cover as much as the old 4-panel one, it's still perfectly serviceable.

i guess the answer here is "touching the iPad".

It is not strong enough to touch, swipe or generally use for most purposes the upright orientation.
It is at too low and angle, and still not solid enough in the typing orientation.

Other stands actually hold the ipad at a useful angle, and allow you to perform any action including pressing the home button without it falling over.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

wooger posted:

i guess the answer here is "touching the iPad".

It is not strong enough to touch, swipe or generally use for most purposes the upright orientation.
It is at too low and angle, and still not solid enough in the typing orientation.

Other stands actually hold the ipad at a useful angle, and allow you to perform any action including pressing the home button without it falling over.

I can't think of a situation where I would want to use it for more than watching a video standing up, which I've never had a problem selecting an app, video, playing it, pausing it. It's entirely possible I'm weird. It works completely fine pressing any buttons as hard as you want if you have it on the low angle either way though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ddogflex posted:

I can't think of a situation where I would want to use it for more than watching a video standing up, which I've never had a problem selecting an app, video, playing it, pausing it. It's entirely possible I'm weird. It works completely fine pressing any buttons as hard as you want if you have it on the low angle either way though.
Same here, that's why I mentioned the folding direction before. It goes from being fine one way (super ymmv apparently) to being liable to fall apart if you breathe on when it's folded the other way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I use the case standing up for productivity stuff involving touching the screen all the time. It's never collapsed on me unless I bump it somehow. Get whatever case you want, but I really like my mini smart case.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Planning to replace my iPad 3 soon. Should I shoot for iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4? Probably going to skip iPad Pro due to price, and looking for something less bulky than iPad 3.

iPad Mini 4 to be about as powerful as Air 2 (although much smaller of course), but are there any hardware concerns/issues known for either?

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DontMindMe posted:

Planning to replace my iPad 3 soon. Should I shoot for iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4? Probably going to skip iPad Pro due to price, and looking for something less bulky than iPad 3.

iPad Mini 4 to be about as powerful as Air 2 (although much smaller of course), but are there any hardware concerns/issues known for either?

DontMindMe posted:

The Mini 4 and Air 2 are identical other than size.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mini 4 actually only has the A8 instead of the A8X, but they're both just completely overpowered for what an iPad needs to do anyway.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 31, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e.pilot posted:

The Mini 4 and Air 2 are identical other than size.

Different processor and GPU. But like Aphrodite says, either is more than enough for anything you want to throw at an iPad.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

flosofl posted:

Different processor and GPU. But like Aphrodite says, either is more than enough for anything you want to throw at an iPad.

This is right. Picking between them has everything to do with preference and usage style. I wanted to be able type on mine for longer stretches without an external keyboard, as well as knew I'd watch plenty of TV and movies, so I went with the Air 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

its no big deal posted:

This is right. Picking between them has everything to do with preference and usage style. I wanted to be able type on mine for longer stretches without an external keyboard, as well as knew I'd watch plenty of TV and movies, so I went with the Air 2.

The typing thing seems much harder on an air than a mini but you're right.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

tuyop posted:

The typing thing seems much harder on an air than a mini but you're right.

Interesting. I find the Air easier to type on than the Mini, at least in landscape mode. It's amazing how much personal preference and usage can determine the best option for what to buy!!!!!!!!!

For the OP, seriously just think about how you use them. Go test them in store and decide if $100 means. Anything to you for the bigger size.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

its no big deal posted:

Interesting. I find the Air easier to type on than the Mini, at least in landscape mode. It's amazing how much personal preference and usage can determine the best option for what to buy!!!!!!!!!

For the OP, seriously just think about how you use them. Go test them in store and decide if $100 means. Anything to you for the bigger size.

Did you type this on the iPad :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

its no big deal posted:

Yeah, carry on. buddy!!,,,,

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

flosofl posted:

Did you type this on the iPad :)

tuyop posted:

Yeah, carry on. buddy!!,,,,

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Thanks. After trying them out in store I ended up going for Air 2

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DontMindMe posted:

good choice

i've been really happy with mine

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

DontMindMe posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

good choice

i've been really happy with mine

Me too. The real question is did you end up with the correct choice of color?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its no big deal posted:

Me too. The real question is did you end up with the correct choice of color?

space gray or death

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

space gray or death

I did in fact get space gray

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone feel like now that they are making the iPad Pro they may discontinue the original iPad size and stick with mini versus pro sizing?

It is seems why they didn't refresh the ipad air this year, they wanted people to focus on the pro.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No, that's ridiculous.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Pro's price point is too high to cut out the regular size.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

its no big deal posted:

It literally hadn't occurred to me until now that people type for more than 20 seconds on their Airs. I have one and would liken typing on it to, say, getting your hand stuck in a bear trap, or having your face covered with fire ants.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Dumb question incoming probably, but, there's no issue of me connecting a standard, official, Apple Bluetooth Keyboard to an iPad Mini right? I don't care about how it looks, just wanted to get a quick double check on it it could be done.

Fake edit: what about on the literal first generation IPad 1?

While I can fly on the glass keyboard, it eats to much screen, and also makes your fingertips uncomfortable if you're at it full speed for an hour.

E2: oh, apparently people have already been curious as well. I have the old black crsppy Apple cover on my iPad 1, a full wrap smart over on the mini. I don't mind about it not being propped up enough. But will it work? :shibon:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 2, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Taima posted:

It literally hadn't occurred to me until now that people type for more than 20 seconds on their Airs. I have one and would liken typing on it to, say, getting your hand stuck in a bear trap, or having your face covered with fire ants.

I actually like typing in portrait mode, the keyboard is perfectly sized for thumb typing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Dumb question incoming probably, but, there's no issue of me connecting a standard, official, Apple Bluetooth Keyboard to an iPad Mini right? I don't care about how it looks, just wanted to get a quick double check on it it could be done.

Fake edit: what about on the literal first generation IPad 1?

While I can fly on the glass keyboard, it eats to much screen, and also makes your fingertips uncomfortable if you're at it full speed for an hour.

E2: oh, apparently people have already been curious as well. I have the old black crsppy Apple cover on my iPad 1, a full wrap smart over on the mini. I don't mind about it not being propped up enough. But will it work? :shibon:
Yeah iOS has had keyboard support for a while, any standard Bluetooth keyboard should work. One caveat I read about the new Apple ones though, they don't seem to have a way to manually enter pairing mode :downs:. They work fine, but if you pair to another machine first (like plug into a Mac) you have to delete the pairing on the machine to get it to enter pairing mode again.

One annoyance with hardware keyboards is that iOS is still a touch based interface, so if you need to hit a button or something you have to reach up (unless the app was updated to use keyboard shortcuts). Not a huge deal, but it can be annoying vs having a trackpad or mouse right there like on a regular desktop/laptop setup.

Also most of my posts are touch typed on an iPad mini screen :ssh:. On a regular iPad I can type pretty much normally since the size is pretty close to a standard keyboard (cause the non letter keys they cut off the sides), but I've developed a jacked up method on the mini where I don't seem to use my right ring or pinky fingers at all, while I'm on and off with my left pinky.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How does the iPad air 2 fare against the 6s plus from a performance standpoint?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

shrike82 posted:

How does the iPad air 2 fare against the 6s plus from a performance standpoint?

Anandtech released their 6s/+ review today. They don't include iPad Air 2 on their graphs, but you can look at its review and compare, though it's using iOS 8, so they might not be quite 1:1 comparisons (and it looks like there may have been some performance improvements with iOS 9, since the 6/+ benchmarks are better across the board than they were on the Air 2 review). All that said, the 6s/+ outperform it in pretty much every benchmark.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If that November 11 rumor is true, I have to assume at this point that there would be no preorders at all given that we'd likely have heard about it, yeah?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Has anyone seen a photo of the Pro, Air2 and an iPhone 6+ - just for comparisons sake?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Heres a website that scales things to their actual size on your monitor if that helps

The iPad pro is super huge

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

hatty posted:

Heres a website that scales things to their actual size on your monitor if that helps

The iPad pro is super huge

Holy christ. I'm on an 11" Air and - fuckkkkk. This is going to be the perfect replacement for this Macbook and my Air2. I have a Mini at home and an iMac at work, so removing in to do work is going to loving rock.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pro-Talk: looking like Friday 13th.

[ed] That was based on a Sam's club preorder link.

9-5 Mac is reporting multiple sources say On Sale @ Apple on Weds. Crazy to not have announced it yet if so...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 7, 2015

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Feenix posted:

Pro-Talk: looking like Friday 13th.

[ed] That was based on a Sam's club preorder link.

9-5 Mac is reporting multiple sources say On Sale @ Apple on Weds. Crazy to not have announced it yet if so...

Apple has been really weird and low key about iPad releases lately.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

e.pilot posted:

Apple has been really weird and low key about iPad releases lately.

Not only that but the 6S, ATV, Pro all kind of just came out one after another and I guess they'd want to steal their own spotlight by refocusing attention too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a rear skin with corners that aren't those little wrap-around tails?

I had a Skinomi skin on my last iPad and I liked it, except that those corner pieces peeled up very early.

I was going to try a matte bestskinsever, but it looks like their corners are the same way.