Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Less gun violence, more boat violence for games in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also Peter Stormare is amazingly creepy. It reminds me of that Quantic Dreams tech demo. The animation is as smooth as the facial captures from L.A. Noire but it's very obvious hand animated or at least heavily touched up so that it's believable but still unsettling.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

thanks for making fun of the "isolation is good" posts better than i could

Oh, I understand now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Catfishenfuego posted:

The Lovecraftian idea that monsters are insurmountable except when you drive a boat into them or blow up their reef with dynamite or call the cops or just like, kinda talk with them a while and then decide to wake up.

Hey the boat didn't stop cthulhu. He went back to sleep because the stars weren't quite right.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Saddest Rhino posted:

are there any good LP of Until Dawn that doesn't involve a/multiple screaming LPer(s)?

i dunno which ending is on here but there's already a "full movie" of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRz847zc1Vo

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sad Mammal posted:

The movie, or the trope?

The trope!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

al-azad posted:

Also Peter Stormare is amazingly creepy. It reminds me of that Quantic Dreams tech demo. The animation is as smooth as the facial captures from L.A. Noire but it's very obvious hand animated or at least heavily touched up so that it's believable but still unsettling.

Also this. My girlfriend watched me play 100% of the time so far and thought he was the creepiest part.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Len posted:

Hey the boat didn't stop cthulhu. He went back to sleep because the stars weren't quite right.

I have heard this debate five billion times.

It's the even nerdier version of "Frankenstein was the creator not the monster"

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
It only becomes nerdy when people become shitheads about it, otherwise it's just radio top 40 in internet form.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Homework Explainer posted:

i dunno which ending is on here but there's already a "full movie" of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRz847zc1Vo

i watched a bit, it shows only cutscenes and no gameplay/interaction unfortunately. thanks anyway!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just downloaded until dawn. Don't have anything to do tomorrow so looks like I'll be playing all night. In fact you could say I'll be playing until da

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i watched a bit, it shows only cutscenes and no gameplay/interaction unfortunately. thanks anyway!

i found one. be warned, when the later parts show up in related videos there will be some spoilers. i don't know how one can avoid this? full-screen maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVcMYT3VuYQ

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm replaying through Alan Wake and drat, it still unsettles me. Running alone through the windy, foggy woods while the Taken babble on maniacally about mundane aspects of their old lives just creeps me out.

Has there ever been talk about a sequel? I loved most aspects of the game and how it walked the line between being creepy and awesomely cheesy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There was the American Dream sequel to Alan Wake.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
American Nightmare is worth picking up because it actually makes the combat fun.

Remedy couldn't get 2 off the ground though and now will have to wait a while because they've been working on Quantum Break. (Which looks bland as hell to me)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Alan Wake had the cornfield rock concert setpiece and your sidekick character (the editor ?) had cartman's voice on my locale.
I wouldn't call it a horror game but I liked it a lot, as well as american nightmare.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Speedball posted:

There was the American Dream sequel to Alan Wake.

Just keep in mind that the two are pretty different types of games within that genre. I enjoyed them both, but they feel quite different.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Homework Explainer posted:

i found one. be warned, when the later parts show up in related videos there will be some spoilers. i don't know how one can avoid this? full-screen maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVcMYT3VuYQ

Thanks!

yeah watching this the presentation is generally not bad, i'm still at the character-establishing part, there are two girls calling each other slut and whore and it's already a lot better written/acted than almost everything in Heavy Rain. i can see why people say this is what HR is supposed to be but i haven't even gotten to the meat of the game yet so i'll probably change my opinion wildly at that point

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

I would love to see the Alien: Isolation guys take on The Thing, but only if there's a cool multiplayer mode where you have to figure out who The Thing is. With some clever design it could really work and be tense as hell. Make it so that the players have to split up sometimes, allow there to be a limited number of bloodtests per game, and encourage cooperation so that players need to stick together in some way. Emphasize that, once you join the ranks of The Thing, you can still get rewards for winning so that players don't just reveal who the first player was the moment they get ganked.

I think, ideally, for this to work there would need to be a large number of players available. Possibly at least 8? I dunno. I don't really know enough about game design to know if something like this would even be plausible, but I'd play the poo poo out of it.

The closest thing I've seen to this is actually a game mode on Space Station 13 - one or more players are randomly chosen as a changeling on a space station where every starts with a pre-assigned job that comes with various responsibilities (that are inevitably neglected) and privileges (that are inevitably abused). The changelings get a 'legitimate' identity that they start with, presumably someone they replaced before transferring to the station. They have a goal to eat as many different people as possible. A changeling can shapeshift into any person that they eat, but eating a person takes a good 30+ seconds and requires them to be dead or unconscious and during the process of it you are extremely obviously a changeling, so you've got to lure/kidnap/ people to dark corners or just find lone wanderers and eat them in a broom closet. The corpse left behind is a drained husk, which if found by another player will immediately lead to a call of CHANGELING on the radio (everyone has a station-wide radio headset, so you've got to strike fast before they have the chance to call for help), so you've got to hide or destroy the leftover bodies.

A changeling can stab someone with a paralytic sting and spit acid to incapacitate people without becoming instantly identifiable as a changeling (though people will recognize what happened if you're too obvious) and can go full Thing mode if they get cornered and exposed and can't just swap identities to get away, with the abomination form being more powerful the more people they ate. Blood tests work, but with so many (20-30+ in most cases) people, it's not practical to test everyone, especially considering how few people will even trust you to administer the test. Since nobody knows which mode is currently running (changelings are relatively rare, the most common antagonist is garden variety traitors - players who have been assigned a secret role and given illegal tools and weapons to sabotage the station or kill a number of people)

It's not very 'horror' but it's still surprisingly close to a multiplayer Thing. The game has a lot of problems and some rounds end stupidly, but some rounds when a creative/evil person ends up being a changeling/traitor/vampire/wizard/cultist/poltergeist it can end up making an amazing story.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 26, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have heard this debate five billion times.

It's the even nerdier version of "Frankenstein was the creator not the monster"

Either way Cthulhu comes out looking like a bitch. He's either a giant alien squid monster who got beaten by a boat or a lazy gently caress who didn't feel like waking up and hit the cosmic snooze button.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I liked Alan Wake a lot. I thought it really nailed the unsettling vibe of being lost, alone in the woods. Maybe it resonated more with me because I grew up right next to a huge forest though.

Personally I also thought the plot was really well done and engaging, although I know that's a divisive aspect of the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

unpacked robinhood posted:

Alan Wake had the cornfield rock concert setpiece and your sidekick character (the editor ?) had cartman's voice on my locale.
I wouldn't call it a horror game but I liked it a lot, as well as american nightmare.

Barry had no right to be as good of a character as he was, cause when you first see him he's this gross hollywood slimeball type. But I breathed a sigh of relief anytime he would show up during the game

I really wish the combat had been done better (or not done at all) because the game nailed everything else

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Len posted:

Either way Cthulhu comes out looking like a bitch. He's either a giant alien squid monster who got beaten by a boat or a lazy gently caress who didn't feel like waking up and hit the cosmic snooze button.

All future Lovecraft-inspired stuff should just focus on the magical dream cat armies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PantsBandit posted:

I liked Alan Wake a lot. I thought it really nailed the unsettling vibe of being lost, alone in the woods. Maybe it resonated more with me because I grew up right next to a huge forest though.

Personally I also thought the plot was really well done and engaging, although I know that's a divisive aspect of the game.

Honestly finding manuscript pages made me wish that Alan Wake was an actual book because I would read the poo poo out of it.

Then again I like Stephen King, whose dick the game is not just riding but already married and had sixteen hideous children with it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There was a pretty decent article on the (unfortunately, probably not gonna happen) Alan Wake 2 on Kotaku. I know, it's Kotaku, but :v: http://kotaku.com/a-look-at-what-alan-wake-2-couldve-been-1699184475

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Oh, I understand now.

were you not mocking those people?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Wolpertinger posted:

The closest thing I've seen to this is actually a game mode on Space Station 13 - one or more players are randomly chosen as a changeling on a space station where every starts with a pre-assigned job that comes with various responsibilities (that are inevitably neglected) and privileges (that are inevitably abused). The changelings get a 'legitimate' identity that they start with, presumably someone they replaced before transferring to the station. They have a goal to eat as many different people as possible. A changeling can shapeshift into any person that they eat, but eating a person takes a good 30+ seconds and requires them to be dead or unconscious and during the process of it you are extremely obviously a changeling, so you've got to lure/kidnap/ people to dark corners or just find lone wanderers and eat them in a broom closet. The corpse left behind is a drained husk, which if found by another player will immediately lead to a call of CHANGELING on the radio (everyone has a station-wide radio headset, so you've got to strike fast before they have the chance to call for help), so you've got to hide or destroy the leftover bodies.

A changeling can stab someone with a paralytic sting and spit acid to incapacitate people without becoming instantly identifiable as a changeling (though people will recognize what happened if you're too obvious) and can go full Thing mode if they get cornered and exposed and can't just swap identities to get away, with the abomination form being more powerful the more people they ate. Blood tests work, but with so many (20-30+ in most cases) people, it's not practical to test everyone, especially considering how few people will even trust you to administer the test. Since nobody knows which mode is currently running (changelings are relatively rare, the most common antagonist is garden variety traitors - players who have been assigned a secret role and given illegal tools and weapons to sabotage the station or kill a number of people)

It's not very 'horror' but it's still surprisingly close to a multiplayer Thing. The game has a lot of problems and some rounds end stupidly, but some rounds when a creative/evil person ends up being a changeling/traitor/vampire/wizard/cultist/poltergeist it can end up making an amazing story.

Whoo boy, that reminds me of the LP of SS13 that was going on a while ago. For one round the LPer was both the Captain and the Changeling, and managed to do both jobs quite well, at least until the last like quarter of the round when a traitor tried to kill him (the captain is a very tempting target after all). The traitor managed to knock him down with a nasty weapon, and IIRC, was going for the kill, when suddenly, bam, shambling horror mode and the traitor gets eaten. Sadly radiation poisoning from the traitor's weapon prevented him from ever speaking again, so he was unable to restore morale to the crew that had just found out he was a Changeling, though there were people speaking up in his defense, saying how he was a better captain than any other, taking down traitors like that. The round also ended with a really great literal monster closet, as he hid in a locker, then burst out and ate one of the few people who were actually hunting him.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Is AW2 not happening because we expect Quantum Break to do poorly, or for other reasons?
Do we expect QB to do poorly because it's an XBONE exclusive, or just because it looks bad?

I really wish they'd spin off Address Unknown from Max Payne as its own series, but I know that's not going to happen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skyscraper posted:

I really wish they'd spin off Address Unknown from Max Payne as its own series, but I know that's not going to happen.

I'd actually prefer Night Springs, then they could make really short one-off horror/sci-fi/fantasy stories in a Twilight Zone vein. Like 5 dollars a game, or $20 for a season pass.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

King Vidiot posted:

I'd actually prefer Night Springs, then they could make really short one-off horror/sci-fi/fantasy stories in a Twilight Zone vein. Like 5 dollars a game, or $20 for a season pass.

Is there anything TO Night Springs, though? It always just seemed like a crazy over the top parody of Twilight Zone. Like, it'd either be a silly parody game, or you'd just be playing essentially just Twilight Zone episodes by another name.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Alan Wake/ whatever spin-offs unfortunately strapped themselves to the carcass that is the Bone/MS attempt at a PC gaming revolution (Steam already did it, you morons ) so once Quantum Break fails horribly the entire Remedy endeavor is completely doomed.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

spudsbuckley posted:

Alan Wake/ whatever spin-offs unfortunately strapped themselves to the carcass that is the Bone/MS attempt at a PC gaming revolution (Steam already did it, you morons ) so once Quantum Break fails horribly the entire Remedy endeavor is completely doomed.

I remember that Alan Wake was also a 360 exclusive when it first came out. Maybe QB will release to Steam after a similar amount of time?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

I remember that Alan Wake was also a 360 exclusive when it first came out. Maybe QB will release to Steam after a similar amount of time?
It might be sooner than that considering Microsoft wants to push Windows 10/Bone crossplay.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Accordion Man posted:

It might be sooner than that considering Microsoft wants to push Windows 10/Bone crossplay.

Yeah, pretty much every Bone exclusive is coming to PC because they actually want to sell things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Len posted:

At least X-Com knows how to handle it.

Blow him up while it's too lazy to wake up in the first place. If only they'd gone for a combo and rammed him with a Retro Sci-Fi sumbarine while at it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skyscraper posted:

Is there anything TO Night Springs, though? It always just seemed like a crazy over the top parody of Twilight Zone. Like, it'd either be a silly parody game, or you'd just be playing essentially just Twilight Zone episodes by another name.

There wasn't anything to Address Unknown either, they just turned it into a big thing in Max Payne 2. It's still just a vague Twin Peaks riff whose themes mirror Max's life.

There doesn't have to "be" anything to Night Springs, I just like the idea of a pulpy horror short game series written by Sam Lake. I mean hell, American Nightmare was already framed as an NS episode, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Remedy to do something like that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

King Vidiot posted:

There wasn't anything to Address Unknown either, they just turned it into a big thing in Max Payne 2. It's still just a vague Twin Peaks riff whose themes mirror Max's life.

There doesn't have to "be" anything to Night Springs, I just like the idea of a pulpy horror short game series written by Sam Lake. I mean hell, American Nightmare was already framed as an NS episode, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Remedy to do something like that.

Yeah, I was about to debate you on that, but apparently there were more Night Springs episodes than I caught during the game, and I just saw the three that were the most obviously Twilight Zoney. The ones I missed actually hit some interesting horror notes, and are a little more in line with AW.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Macaluso posted:

Barry had no right to be as good of a character as he was, cause when you first see him he's this gross hollywood slimeball type. But I breathed a sigh of relief anytime he would show up during the game

I really wish the combat had been done better (or not done at all) because the game nailed everything else

Yeah, I loved everything about the game but the combat.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

AW's combat was atrocious but everything else was so good it made up for it. Managing a flashlight batteries has never made a good combat mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Night Springs has a part to play in American Nightmare because Alan Wake uses it to escape the Dark Place and write himself back into the real world. According to him, "Night Springs" was nowhere in particular in America, and could be any town, and while in the Dark Place he wrote a Night Springs episode where he was able to escape back into the real world, but at the cost of the darkness following him.