Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

"Motte-and-bailey" seems more specific, though (equivocation between a "moderate" and an "extreme" position).

Here you go.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Time to bring out this link

That Worst Argument In The World poo poo is the worst thing ever, incidentally. A fallacy invented just as a backdoor defense of "scientific" racism.

Anyway it should probably be mentioned that the reactos have a token black guy in the form of JayMan and a token Bangladeshi guy in Razib Khan.

They even tried to spin Khan getting fired from the New York Times as being white racism against a POC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

"Motte-and-bailey" seems more specific, though (equivocation between a "moderate" and an "extreme" position).

See also the "two-step of terrific triviality," which was coined for the same phenomena and with the same implication of disingenuousness:

John Holbo posted:

To put it another way, Goldberg is making a standard rhetorical move which has no accepted name, but which really needs one. I call it ‘the two-step of terrific triviality’. Say something that is ambiguous between something so strong it is absurd and so weak that it would be absurd even to mention it. When attacked, hop from foot to foot as necessary, keeping a serious expression on your face. With luck, you will be able to generate the mistaken impression that you haven’t been knocked flat, by rights. As a result, the thing that you said which was absurdly strong will appear to have some obscure grain of truth in it. Even though you have provided no reason to think so.

M+B is a bit catchier, though, if only because each side of the elision gets its own term in the metaphor. In general the LWsphere has been pretty prolific with new terms for how people argue online, and I would expect a few of them to end up being useful (regardless of whether M+B is.)

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
To be exceedingly fair and correct, JayMan is really a political liberal who just happens to be really hereditarian and also surrounded by reactionaries - so Scott, basically.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any funny examples of nrxers motte and baileying thenselves?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Any funny examples of nrxers motte and baileying thenselves?

I was about to say that Moldbug does it all the time, but really what Moldbug does is just plain old equivocation; he doesn't really "retreat" so much as conflate things.

http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2013/09/technology-communism-and-brown-scare.html

quote:

Once you learn to recognize the distinction between empathic and nonempathic altruism, you'll see it everywhere. Empathic altruism - charity - is simply good. Nonempathic altruism - communism - is simply evil.

The trick here, of course, is that by using the words "charity" and "communism" he's conflating empathic vs. nonempathic altruism (which I'll admit is a real distinction, but one which is often made too much of) with private and government action, respectively.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Well, yeah. That's why you gotta name the things being equivocated.

Silver2195 posted:

I mean, "motte and bailey" is hypothetically useful, but in practice marks you as a totally-not-neoreactionary ... oh yeah.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

The trick here, of course, is that by using the words "charity" and "communism" he's conflating empathic vs. nonempathic altruism (which I'll admit is a real distinction, but one which is often made too much of) with private and government action, respectively.
Moldbug is usually far more out there isn't he? Just arbitrarily redefining terms. "America is a Communist* country"

* Communist = a right wing perspective of how America works that has almost, but not quite nothing in common with communism

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Moldbug is usually far more out there isn't he? Just arbitrarily redefining terms. "America is a Communist* country"

* Communist = a right wing perspective of how America works that has almost, but not quite nothing in common with communism

Other way around: Moldbug argues that America is communist, with a small c, which has almost, but not quite, nothing in common with Communism.

(Never mind that small-c communism is already used to refer to pre-Marxist collective ownership.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Motte is that postmodernism is an unsustainable relativism. The Bailey is that it's sheer nonsense with no meaning or truth value at all.

Or maybe the other way around, I forget.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
http://slartibartfastibast.com/post/132549679524/going-to-unfollow-over-your-critical-thinking

what the gently caress is going on here

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

"political correctness is tying the hands of our Boys in Blue"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

What's with all these uber-pretentious names? Plato Rising? Pseudoerasmus? Yvein? What's the thing with how their names seem like nothing but attempts to, uh, signal how they've read a book?

I can't think of another group that does that.
Of course they use their names to signify that they should be looked at as thinkers, they read how to do that in Enders Game. They just don't realize that they're signifyin' monkeys.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

By misrepresenting this novelty news story, progs are raping children duh.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/03/what-developmental-milestones-are-you-missing/

New SSC post. Liked the bit about different cultures that aren't Western being childish. Also liked the bit about left-wing and far-right rhetoric being the same on the meta-level, or whatever that was supposed to be.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If meta level means finding homosexual acts and killing dead people equivalent, then I guess I'll stay on the object level.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

quote:

This would have an funny corollary; the LW Sequences try to hammer in how different other minds can be from your own in order to develop the skill of thinking about artificial intelligences, but whether or not AI matters this might be an unusually effective hack to break a certain type of person out of their egocentrism and teach them how to deal with other humans.
Impressive, if they can find one.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/houellebecqs-islam-houellebecqs-west/

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think I went to high school with Davis Aurini, his name sounds really familiar. I swear I'm not making this up.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

What. Is this the European version of those Left Behind apocalypse books?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Michel Houellebecq could probably write a novel about a sympathetically portrayed pedophile who goes around randomly killing muslim immigrants and the usual whiteboy suspects would drool about how brilliant it was.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
And Douthat classifies him under NRx. And like NRx, his conjecture is supposedly implausible and reaching but true and meaningful at the same time.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Douthat would convert instantly if he thought Sharia would do a better job of preserving his comfortable life and vision of how society should work. The man is basically peak 'It's always projection'.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a bit confused by the low sympathy scores for Islam amongst these people. Is it anything but not-invented-here syndrome (incidentally, also a huge problem in the Muslim world ...) and of course racism?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Cingulate posted:

I'm a bit confused by the low sympathy scores for Islam amongst these people. Is it anything but not-invented-here syndrome (incidentally, also a huge problem in the Muslim world ...) and of course racism?

There's not really a "generic" reactionary justification you can have for it, but each leg of "trike" has its own prior reasons for rejecting Islamism: for the techcoms the problem with Islam is that it's not compatible with their vision of capitalism; for the ethnats the problem with Islam is that it's too brown; and for the tradcats the problem with Islam is that it's too Muslim.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Reactionaries are hilariously divided as to how to classify Islam (especially radical Islam). Is it "progressive" because it's anti-imperialist and right-wing Westerners tend to be more against it than left-wing Westerners? Is is "reactionary" (though not necessarily an ally of the neoreactionaries) because of gender issues? Or is it "neither progressive nor reactionary, merely barbaric" because it's non-Western? The last option is in tension with the neoreactionary tendency to apply labels like "progressive" and "reactionary" to Chinese history.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

Reactionaries are hilariously divided as to how to classify Islam (especially radical Islam). Is it "progressive" because it's anti-imperialist
... how is Islam anti imperialist? Unless you define Imperialism = what America does/likes.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Cingulate posted:

... how is Islam anti imperialist? Unless you define Imperialism = what America does/likes.

According to Moldbug, bin Laden's (say) anti-Americanism is Americanism, which is Communism. Got it?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Perhaps I should have placed quotes around "anti-imperialist."

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Oligopsony posted:

According to Moldbug, bin Laden's (say) anti-Americanism is Americanism, which is Communism. Got it?

Ow, that's... wow

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
http://thefutureprimaeval.net/the-dark-side-of-the-weak-galt-hypothesis/

This blog BTW has pride of place on Scott's links to the blogosphere

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So if I'm reading this guy correctly, he's saying rampant economic inequality is fine, perhaps even preferable, for ethereal reasons mostly involving vindicating the Great Man theory of history?

It is a little chilling, of course, to see an assertion of "Yeah, most of those people are useless and could just die off." Of course, one would wonder what he would do if the "weak galt" habits weren't actually hereditary...

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nessus posted:

So if I'm reading this guy correctly, he's saying rampant economic inequality is fine, perhaps even preferable, for ethereal reasons mostly involving vindicating the Great Man theory of history?

It is a little chilling, of course, to see an assertion of "Yeah, most of those people are useless and could just die off." Of course, one would wonder what he would do if the "weak galt" habits weren't actually hereditary...

Something like that? Also this apparently means that a successful economy means that progressivism is ruining everything as interpreted by a bunch of racist idiots

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jason Sextro posted:

I think I went to high school with Davis Aurini, his name sounds really familiar. I swear I'm not making this up.

I can't let this slip by. You must figure out if it's true and post everything you know about him in high school. It's vital for our research.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

quote:

Now, on one hand, the Weak Galt Hypothesis favors a sort of throne and altar conservatism. It reinforces the notion of a natural aristocracy, throws some weight behind the Great Man theory of history, and is joyously anti-democratic as it lauds the virtues of the productive classes.

Of course, those were never the premises of throne and altar conservatism - which always insisted, on the contrary, that work was degrading to the soul, and that therefore Great Men should keep busy with war, art, and politics. Peasants, slaves, and merchants were economically productive, which is why they were despised.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Art was ungentlemanly if the art you created benefited anyone else, however. An 18th century nobleman might have occasionally played a Haydn piece on violin in his drawing room for the pleasure of himself and a couple of friends, but Haydn himself was a servant, not a gentleman.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MizPiz posted:

I can't let this slip by. You must figure out if it's true and post everything you know about him in high school. It's vital for our research.

Bear in mind this was 15 years ago, so my memory is a little bit fuzzy, but I asked my sister and she remembers him vaguely too. When I get a chance to go back to my parents's house I'm going to see if I can find an old yearbook.

He didn't always look like a hilarious Anton LaVey, though I do remember cowboy hats and leather dusters. He was always a creepy weirdo who didn't have much luck with women, so his Pokemon evolution to current day isn't that surprising if you think of it as overcompensation for being a mediocre person with no actual talent for anything. I wish I could remember funnier stories but I didn't really hang out with them and not many people I knew did, because most people thought he was creepy from what I remember.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I find it baffling how ugly matt forney is. like, I know thats the most schoolyard criticism ever but he presents himself as an authority on women while being a shabbily dressed dough-man, Roosh at least looks like he might have gone for a jog at one point in his life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oligopsony posted:

Of course, those were never the premises of throne and altar conservatism - which always insisted, on the contrary, that work was degrading to the soul, and that therefore Great Men should keep busy with war, art, and politics. Peasants, slaves, and merchants were economically productive, which is why they were despised.
So what's with all this Protestant work ethic poo poo? Was this a legitimate shift in society, or did rich people just decide to excoriate Poors into working themselves to death to produce more friedman units for the masters?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

So what's with all this Protestant work ethic poo poo? Was this a legitimate shift in society, or did rich people just decide to excoriate Poors into working themselves to death to produce more friedman units for the masters?

Different group of people, the Protestant work ethic is mostly Dutch/Anglo bourgeois and petite bourgeois. Throne and Altar conservatism comes from nobles and leans Catholic. If you're inclined to read all of history through a left/right lens (which is dumb, don't do that) the PWEs would actually be on the left. People with those ideas are considered conservatives now, but when neo-reactionaries talk about "when it all went wrong" they mean anywhere between the French Revolution and the Protestant Reformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

massive spider posted:

I find it baffling how ugly matt forney is. like, I know thats the most schoolyard criticism ever but he presents himself as an authority on women while being a shabbily dressed dough-man, Roosh at least looks like he might have gone for a jog at one point in his life.

It's really amazing.

He even has the balls to make fun of other nerds such as in this article Gamergate was nicely willing to forget when he started courting them