Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I'm glad blokes bloke john K man has taken time out of his busy tppa schedule to go hang out at Auckland and watch some rugger and clap at a sports man in a way that indicates that he knows what the gently caress is going on

lol clapping at sports mans good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah! Sports!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

How come these rich people schools only let in white assholes. Seems racist, surely there's a bunch of rich rear end in a top hat Asian kids with all these Chinese people buying all the houses??

my class at [wealthy public high school in auckland] was pretty diverse, yeah. And that was nearly 10 years ago now

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Same at my poor Hawkes bay school

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I believe the term is "ruggers"

or is it ruggie or rugg rugg i dont know

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Fukin love it. And beer. And bbq. And secret trade deals and women's hair.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
what about television programmes?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The trade deals aren't secret, you're just not enough of a rugger mate beer haver to know the deets.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

fong posted:

Yeah the zoning laws are kinda hosed. If you're the first school in an area to have to draw up a zone (meaning you're already the school everyone wants to go to) then you basically get to cut out the poor areas and create a nice little white/middle class island in your community. The school board and the principal have to "consult" the community on the proposed zones but that's it.

Having recently been through the process of implementing a zone, you'd be surprised just how little input schools themselves actually have. The Ministry does almost everything to do with defining the zone based on current enrolment and census data, along with future growth predictions.

Yeah, some people invariably get pissed at exactly where boundaries go, but the line has to eventually go somewhere and they don't just pull it out of a hat.

fong posted:

You can end up with families living 200m from the school considered out of zone.

You really wouldn't.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Real kiwis

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Paul Henry foolishly falling for her Venus Hug Trap, we won't be seeing him again

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

kris_b posted:

Having recently been through the process of implementing a zone, you'd be surprised just how little input schools themselves actually have. The Ministry does almost everything to do with defining the zone based on current enrolment and census data, along with future growth predictions.

Yeah, some people invariably get pissed at exactly where boundaries go, but the line has to eventually go somewhere and they don't just pull it out of a hat.

You really wouldn't.

It must vary a lot depending on what ministry person/people you work with then because the zoning process I was involved in was done mostly by the principal & BOT chair sitting down and drawing lines on a map. They would send it to the MOE and be told it was too big/small etc and have to redraw the lines, but it was just about all up to the principal & BOT

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

How come these rich people schools only let in white assholes. Seems racist, surely there's a bunch of rich rear end in a top hat Asian kids with all these Chinese people buying all the houses??

Rich people being xenophobic shitheads? Surely you jest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kris_b posted:

You really wouldn't.
I literally just went to the school zoning site and found one within three search terms.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
So anyway there was the anti-TPPA march (wrote TPPA march first time, guessing that there won't be any pro-TPPA anythings) in Wellington. Good turnout, one small group got a wee bit rowdy after the speeches. Guessing that's what's gonna be focused on. Also the champion idiot who decided to dodge security and sit on the steps of an empty Parliament.

Also some ill-fitting-jacket doofus was there handing out 'please don't vote next year' stickers, which seems like a bit of a lost cause and I hope the wrong market.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

I dragged my kids along to the chch march. No trouble at all, though we skipped the speeches at the end, but I really doubt there was any at them.

The march split and half went through riccarton mall. The news article seemed desperate to get the mall management to complain about it, but they wouldn't. Possibly because a) it was peaceful and relatively short and b) they probably agree with the demonstrators.

Really wide cross section of people on the march. All ages, from teenagers through to retirees.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The Tron march was mostly Maori/PI/White people and no Asians maybe there's a racist conclusion Labour can drawn from that???

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Tron march was mostly Maori/PI/White people and no Asians maybe there's a racist conclusion Labour can drawn from that???

Pretty racist of you to notice there were no Asians there and state that fact tbh.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Maybe all the Asians are in Auckland where they bought all of the houses.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Varkk posted:

Maybe all the Asians are in Auckland where they bought all of the houses.

*types up stuff headline*

ASIANS FLEE HAMILTON EN MASS TO SWARM AUCKLAND HOUSING MARKET

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fleeing hamilton is a perfectly kiwi thing to do though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The best things about Hamilton are the roads leading out of it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The best part of Hamilton is commuting back into it at the end of the day knowing you played your part to fix the Auckland housing crisis.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Apparently Mike Hosking might be a little bit biased in his reporting on political stories. Although Stephen Joyce says he doesn't think he is so that should settle it.

I think a fair number of journalists just spend most of their day browsing Facebook and reddit while waiting for a press release to come their way that they can just put their by-line on.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Joyce is like John Key in thinking that you can change actual reality by saying something is/isn't true. Unfortunately it works for them a lot of the time.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

fong posted:

Joyce is like John Key in thinking that you can change actual reality by saying something is/isn't true. Unfortunately it works for them a lot of the time.

People, big lie, small one, etc.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Heritage not hate

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The meter on that is hosed.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

But Are Soldiers

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's the flag of our laws (from England) and our language (from England)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

WarpedNaba posted:

It's a terrible poem, both in sentiment and structure. How are you supposed to read it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

It's a terrible poem, both in sentiment and structure. How are you supposed to read it?

Beer in one hand, warmed over barbecue sausage in the other I think.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

It's also a poem that was written about Australia's flag, not ours.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Just what we need. Another kiwi media producer that doesn't have the creativity to come up with anything decent himself, resorts to plagiarism and remakes and he still fucks it up.

But enough about Peter Jackson

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spiteski posted:

It's also a poem that was written about Australia's flag, not ours.

present day monarchists would be a lot cooler if they wanted to bring back the divine right of kings instead of lame constitutional monarchy

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

A human heart posted:

present day monarchists would be a lot cooler if they wanted to bring back the divine right of kings instead of lame constitutional monarchy

I am a monarchist, because I don't want politicians in every role of government, but I am a big fan of Lambert's Instrument of Government which defined Cromwell's Protectorate.

The problem, of course, is succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Election of the top scoring Y13 NCEA student each year whether they want to be there or not.

• Locked thread