Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Deus Rex posted:

How exactly does the playoff scheduling work? Is the tournament tree set in stone when the playoffs start, or do the second round matchups depend on who wins the first round games?

More concretely, in the first round you have these series: #1-#8, #4-#5, #2-#7, #3-#6. Is the winner of the #1-#8 series guaranteed to play the winner of the #4-#5 series, or are second-round matchups re-worked so if (say) #1 beat #8, but #7 upset #2, that in the second round #1 plays #7 (the most advantageous matchup for #1 by seeding)?

NBA is set in stone when the tournament starts.

1v8 winner plays 4v5 winner, 3v6 winner plays 2v7 winner, those two winners play in conference championship and then nba finals.

There's no re-assignment of seeds at any point in the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
Paul George's parents' names are Paul and Paulette.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

[Exum] finishes well,

He really really does not

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Dikembe Mutombo headlines the Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2015. He joins:
- Lisa Leslie
- Dick Bavetta
- John Calipari
- Spencer Haywood
- Jo Jo White
- John Isaacs
- Lindsay Gaze
- Tom Heinsohn
- George Raveling
- Louie Dampier

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spencer Haywood was an important player historically, but he's pretty bad as a player even by the low standards Basketball Hall of Fame standards outside of one bonkers year in the dying days of the ABA.

And this is more of a topic for the college thread, but Raveling was not really anything special as a coach, although he was a really good recruiter.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 6, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Every time I see Joe Ingles play I keep thinking that Adam Keefe's worthless rear end found a time machine and traveled to 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Every time I see Joe Ingles play I keep thinking that Adam Keefe's worthless rear end found a time machine and traveled to 2015

Never has the term "shooting guard" been more misused. I have no idea how he started for a NBA team, he has like zero NBA level skills.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Joe Ingles is tolerable when you remember he's not there for pure basketball reasons but to support future superstar Dante Exum and be his Australian mentor while the kid learns to play like a real American

Just about every single story about their interactions is fun and pleasant and they got a long history. Here's some select Ingles (be sure to read in a Paul Hogan voice):

“Gordon’s only 24 years old and Derrick Favors [is] 23 and obviously Dante is 12.”

(on Gordon's perfect hair):
"OK, so I’m going to give you a little insight on his haircut and how long and silly it is. In this last trip, we were rooming right next to each other. Our rooms are basically joined. We had an adjoining door, which we opened a couple of times to talk to each other, but yesterday he went to sleep for a little pregame nap. I got up, and it was half an hour before we had to leave and I went to the bathroom. And as I was passing through the little corridor to get to my bathroom, I could hear all this noise in his room. I thought, ‘I hope he’s all right.’ He’s been away from his wife for a while. I hope he’s not sad and he’s not feeling upset or whatever. And I put my ear kind of next to the door to hear what it was, and it was the hairdryer going.

"So, I’ve never seen a man use a hairdryer before, and I knocked on the door to try and see a man use a hairdryer. So, he was in there. I don’t know what he was doing. I did see the day before that he had like seven different hair products and a little comb. And, obviously, now with the hairdryer, it’s pretty obvious how much he likes his hair. And I think if you watch him during the game, it doesn’t move. I don’t know how it’s possible, but it actually doesn’t move.”

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 6, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"Oi'd neva seen a men use a heyah droiyah befowah, so Oi knocked on the doowah to troi and see a men use a heyah droiyah. "

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why is Dampier on that list?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why is Dampier on that list?

ABA. He was one of the first truly great shooters, was never injured, won a championship, 7 straight all star games, I think he was an all american a coupe of times.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think Dampier's there because of being the ABA's all-time leading scorer and minutes-player and assist-doer.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I thought we were talking about Erick Dampier and was real confused for a few seconds

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

EvanTH posted:

"Oi'd neva seen a men use a heyah droiyah befowah, so Oi knocked on the doowah to troi and see a men use a heyah droiyah. "

also Gordon Hayward is a fag

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

chunkles posted:

I thought we were talking about Erick Dampier and was real confused for a few seconds

Oh good, it wasn't just me.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MourningView posted:

Spencer Haywood was an important player historically, but he's pretty bad as a player even by the low standards Basketball Hall of Fame standards outside of one bonkers year in the dying days of the ABA.

And this is more of a topic for the college thread, but Raveling was not really anything special as a coach, although he was a really good recruiter.

I find it hard to get too worked up about the basketball HoF. I mean didn't they just put Tom Heinsohn in for like the 8th time?

Also I think you're underestimating Haywood a bit. Dude was still a 20 ppg career player and while a lot of that was volume, that's definitely the kind of thing that dudes who vote for this sort of stuff look at.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Who wants to sex Mutombo indeed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Haywood was 2x All-NBA 1st and 2x 2nd. He also had a gold medal. I think he has a pretty solid case.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

chunkles posted:

Lol same

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress John Calipari

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

you should put on a nice hat and call yourself hatlanta man :) also get a sex change so it's an ironic name

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He is actually really cool and good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Apparently Calipari runs like no drills in practice and thinks that just playing basketball games with random teams over and over again in practice is about the best way to get ready during the season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It seems to work pretty well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

Apparently Calipari runs like no drills in practice and thinks that just playing basketball games with random teams over and over again in practice is about the best way to get ready during the season.

Doing that while making sure they adhere to the coach's principles seems like a good way to get the team to play how you want them to in real games.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BREAKING NEWS:

code:
Player 				WS
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 		273.41
Wilt Chamberlain 		247.26
Karl Malone		 	234.63
Michael Jordan 			214.02
John Stockton 			207.70
Tim Duncan 			200.13
Also, I missed worst injury-chat a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FO-M6XxSc

PS Spencer Haywood played 84 games and 3,808 minutes his rookie year at age 20. That might not've been the best long-term strategy as only Wilt in 1962 and 1968 played more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

He really really does not

That was the compliment I was most hesitant to give, but I was like "well, he was doing it tonight and I don't watch him every day."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

That was the compliment I was most hesitant to give, but I was like "well, he was doing it tonight and I don't watch him every day."

His biggest issue is more that he can't/doesn't attempt to get to the basket at all, I guess. He'll either just flip the ball back out to someone on the wing to start over or launch one of his lovely jumpers. I don't want to give up on him because he's got a lot of good tools and is super young/inexperienced, but he's a long ways off. It's kind of unfortunate for him that the rest of the team seems so close to being ready to contend for the playoffs already, because I don't know if they can afford to let him develop the way he needs to. They're in a weird place.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

obama and john wall were hooping today

https://instagram.com/p/1JXUzxCaGW/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bill Simmons dogging the Hawks (apparently Brad Stevens is such an amazingest genius top coach that he's a clear edge in a matchup with Coach Bud?) and taking a perverse glee in the Millsap injury is gross. Like, no dude, I don't actually think the Celtics could take the Hawks..

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Man I keep looking at a quote Pop gave back in the 2012 offseason, he's talkin' about Kawhi and he says:
"I think he’s going to be a star. And as time goes on, he’ll be the face of the Spurs I think. At both ends of the court, he is really a special player. And what makes me be so confident about him is that he wants it so badly. He wants to be a good player, I mean a great player. He comes early, he stays late, and he’s coachable, he’s just like a sponge. When you consider he’s only had one year of college and no training camp yet, you can see that he’s going to be something else.”

I only even noticed he was above average last year.

MourningView posted:

It seems to work pretty well.

Usually you start getting a great reputation as a coach when your team overachieves when it appears to have suboptimal talent. I know about 0 about Cal's early days, was he doing overachieving back in his early days? Hard to judge a dude with a stacked team.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Bill Simmons dogging the Hawks (apparently Brad Stevens is such an amazingest genius top coach that he's a clear edge in a matchup with Coach Bud?) and taking a perverse glee in the Millsap injury is gross. Like, no dude, I don't actually think the Celtics could take the Hawks..

What if they did though...!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The Hawks would kick the everloving poo poo out of Boston and I would hope they dedicate half the screen towards keeping a camera on Bill Simmons as it happens

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Harden takes home the most prestigious award in the NBA, joining Klay Thompson as the only player to win Player of the Week THREE TIMES this season.

hitze posted:

What if they did though...!

Brad Stevens could be the first teen to coach an NBA team to a playoff series win!

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 6, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Usually you start getting a great reputation as a coach when your team overachieves when it appears to have suboptimal talent. I know about 0 about Cal's early days, was he doing overachieving back in his early days? Hard to judge a dude with a stacked team.

I mean he took UMass to the Final Four. With Camby there, but he turned them into a power even before that. Also recruiting is a big part of being a college coach. John Wooden wasn't exactly winning with a bunch of scrubs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Brad Stevens is a very good coach but it's hard to imagine anything other than the Celtics getting demolished.

That said, in March the Celtics and the Hawks have been about equally good in terms of record and some other poo poo (16-9 hawks, 18-10 celtics).

And if Nate Robinson can single handedly win a few playoff games then there's no way Isaiah Thomas can't do the same.

MourningView posted:

I mean he took UMass to the Final Four. With Camby there, but he turned them into a power even before that. Also recruiting is a big part of being a college coach. John Wooden wasn't exactly winning with a bunch of scrubs.

btw I wasn't trying to make a point I actually legit have no idea what his teams were like early on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wangvicous posted:

Dikembe Mutombo headlines the Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2015. He joins:
- Lisa Leslie
- Dick Bavetta
- John Calipari
- Spencer Haywood
- Jo Jo White
- John Isaacs
- Lindsay Gaze
- Tom Heinsohn
- George Raveling
- Louie Dampier

Nooo Jo Jo White has to be the permanent trivia answer to "which Finals MVP is not in the hall of fame?"

Also I thought Heinsohn had been in for years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also I thought Heinsohn had been in for years.

He was in as a player, now he's going in again as a coach.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Zogo posted:

BREAKING NEWS:

code:

Player 				WS
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 		273.41
Wilt Chamberlain 		247.26
Karl Malone		 	234.63
Michael Jordan 			214.02
John Stockton 			207.70
Tim Duncan 			200.13

Also, I missed worst injury-chat a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FO-M6XxSc

PS Spencer Haywood played 84 games and 3,808 minutes his rookie year at age 20. That might not've been the best long-term strategy as only Wilt in 1962 and 1968 played more.

Thibs! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nooo Jo Jo White has to be the permanent trivia answer to "which Finals MVP is not in the hall of fame?"

The answer is Cedric Maxwell.

• Locked thread