Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

In addition to the MCU and DCCU, we have:

-Universal monsters shared universe
-Kaiju shared universe
-Transformers/GI Joe
-Hanna Barbara (I don't believe this will happen)

What am I missing

X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The Roger Rabbit/Warner Bros./Disney shared "living cartoon" universe, very briefly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seriously though, the idea of a "cinematic universe" just means you've got a guy thinking ahead of time about how the movies affect each other instead of just deciding to make a sequel after the movie's a hit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OnimaruXLR posted:

They should really just bring together all the lovely adaptations of old cartoons into one cinematic universe. Garfield, Smurfs, Yogi Bear, TMNT... in their teamup movie they can teach kids about saying no to drugs by fighting a bunch of scary cartel people

Pink Panther.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So SS did drop 40% between Fri and Sat, and then 20% Sat to Sun, but the real test is how it does next weekend. The die hards and fanboys will have all seen it, and the regular move goers will be passing their word of mouth around. Though I don't think anything big is opening this week so it could easily stay at #1, Like i can see Sausage Party unseating SS.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I have a radical theory that "cinematic universe" is just a glossed up marketing-speak for "a movie series, including spinoffs".

Exactly. "Cinematic universe" is a marketing buzzword that's been diminished as the "it's all connected" slogan that Marvel's been touting isn't (and has never been) true. It's been strictly a one-way street - the movies don't acknowledge the TV shows, and the TV shows are completely at the mercy of whatever the movies are doing. Marvel has said that it's "next to impossible" since TV and movie schedules are so different, but I think it's more a problem/symptom of Ike Perlmutter and Kevin Feige's egos clashing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sausage Party is an R so Suicide Squad would need a big collapse for it to win.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sausage Party would have to beat a roughly $40-50 million opening to beat SS' week two, which is, I guess, possible, but pretty unlikely. I dunno, it depends on how much money Sony threw behind promotion, and considering there's no reported budget (and the general animation quality, which seems fairly middling for a CG animated movie) it probably didn't cause very much to make, especially considering how the cast is the usual suspects of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's closest friends who appear in every single one of their movies.

More likely is Pete's Dragon taking the crown from SS, considering it's getting excellent reviews and Disney has impressed on their live action offerings recently. Plus the lower ratings drawing more families to theatres.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yep, so its doubtful that SS will drop from #1, it may not bring is as much money though. And Sausage Party only looks slightly better than Foodfight.

Also this image keeps being shared around by friends, and I don't have the heart to tell them this is fake

I mean, it's the same Birds of Prey Logo from the 90s Tv Show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A Lobo movie, huh? And a Sirens AND a BoP movie in development simultaneously? Really shooting the moon on that one.

Also I'd question how a TT movie would work considering that there's no Robin and one of its other founding members is a Justice League member now, but you know, whatever.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Also I'd question how a TT movie would work considering that there's no Robin and one of its other founding members is a Justice League member now, but you know, whatever.

Young Justice the movie.Doesnt solve the Robin issue, but they could just say that after the first Robin got killed Batfleck decided to let someone else take the mantle.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Blackchamber posted:

Young Justice the movie.Doesnt solve the Robin issue, but they could just say that after the first Robin got killed Batfleck decided to let someone else take the mantle.

Young Justice would be an even bigger headache then a TT movie, considering how anti-sidekick the DCEU is at the moment. At the very least TT gives you Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven all as more-or-less original characters that can be defined on their own merits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They'd never make a Lobo movie, Lobo is fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It will be new 52 Lobo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm kinda hoping that the first Batflleck movie will feature Damien being dumped on his doorstep and him having to train this smart rear end kid that he barely knows to be Robin.

Or could just do TT with Nightwing instead of Robin.

If they did do a Lobo movie, it would be the new52 Lobo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Will the Lobo movie be the launching of the Lobo cinematic universe or just a stand alone lead-in to the Lobo-verse?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Will the Lobo movie be the launching of the Lobo cinematic universe or just a stand alone lead-in to the Lobo-verse?

They'll begin with classic Lobo and then introduce a side series involving the new Lobo leading to the epic crossover film Lobo v. Lobo: Fragging Dawn of the Main Man.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

In addition to the MCU and DCCU, we have:

-Universal monsters shared universe
-Kaiju shared universe
-Transformers/GI Joe
-Hanna Barbara (I don't believe this will happen)

What am I missing

The Tommy Westphall shared universe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I forget, they did say the Robin in BvS is meant to be Jason, right? Nightwing supposedly exists?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

I forget, they did say the Robin in BvS is meant to be Jason, right? Nightwing supposedly exists?

Logically it would be yes, the dead Robin was Jason Todd, but the DCCU is a place where logic does not exist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Would this Batman really work in a storyline with a Damian in it? I'm not seeing it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jimmy Olsen is a dead CIA agent in the DCCU, so I think you can't take anything for granted.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

Logically it would be yes, the dead Robin was Jason Todd, but the DCCU is a place where logic does not exist.

I can't tell if it makes sense for there to be a Robin #2 in this universe. I think not, but Dick Grayson is my favorite character and if he got killed off-screen by tryhard Joker, I'll be sad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

I can't tell if it makes sense for there to be a Robin #2 in this universe. I think not, but Dick Grayson is my favorite character and if he got killed off-screen by tryhard Joker, I'll be sad.

Yea, and I think if they took elements of the Greyson run where he goes off and is a secret agent for a while before returning to Gotham and Nightwing would actually fit in this Batverse. And I think a Damien who just loving hates his father and a Bruce that barely gives a poo poo that he's got a son would also work.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would this Batman really work in a storyline with a Damian in it? I'm not seeing it.

As obnoxious as Damian is in the recent animated movies, I can only imagine how much worse he'd be in these movies.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

As much ad Sausage Party looks stupid and bad, it is basically all I have heard about in regards to movies the last few months, because 'have you seen the trailer where the potato screams a lot?!?! Lmao that looks so funny'. I heard more about it than I did Suicide Squad.

College aged people won't push it to #1 though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't want a Lobo movie because enough people as it is think my username is either Lobo or Lobos. No, you Rocket League chumps I'm not a comic book character or a wolf. I'm a RADDISH.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lobok posted:

I don't want a Lobo movie because enough people as it is think my username is either Lobo or Lobos. No, you Rocket League chumps I'm not a comic book character or a wolf. I'm a RADDISH.

Aren't you that guy from Empire Strikes Back?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

I thought you were J Jonah Jameson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

That really old movie?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kaiju franchise, sure. I would enjoy that. Like I say, I'm not sure if Kong fits into that, purely because Kong climbs the Empire State Building while Godzilla would probably tower over it. :v:

Kong in Skull Island is gigantic for this reason. They have a trailer. I'm excited, for sure.

Super Dan posted:

There were rumors, at one point, of a Robin Hood cinematic universe.

What would that even cover?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Young Justice would be an even bigger headache then a TT movie, considering how anti-sidekick the DCEU is at the moment. At the very least TT gives you Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven all as more-or-less original characters that can be defined on their own merits.

I think that right now if DC/WB thought it would be a hit they'd be willing to try anything. I figure I'll let DC do a couple more movies and then I'll offer to write and direct one with no experience and they'll let me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Travis343 posted:

I would prefer him. Cool headgear.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lobok posted:

My sympathies. Apparently a few years back there was a South American footballer with my name, so in games I kept getting folks jabbering at me in Portugese or some similar language I didn't understand.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

catlord posted:

Kong in Skull Island is gigantic for this reason. They have a trailer. I'm excited, for sure.

What would that even cover?

I like kaiju and I'm generally excited for movies with them, but the older I get the more I'm like "How could King Kong possibly eat enough calories in a day to maintain that gargantuan size and metabolism."

I don't have this problem with Godzilla because he's a lizard made of radiation, so whatever

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlimGoodbody posted:

I like kaiju and I'm generally excited for movies with them, but the older I get the more I'm like "How could King Kong possibly eat enough calories in a day to maintain that gargantuan size and metabolism."

You seen the size of those bananas they have on Skull Island, man?!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I kinda wonder what the premise for Godzilla v Kong is gonna be. Like, they've established Godzilla as the good guy balancing force against monsters so is kong gonna like swim from skull island to nyc to take revenge on the evil Americans and then gman has to come whoop the poo poo outta him or what

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

You seen the size of those bananas they have on Skull Island, man?!

That just raises even more questions!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Well it'll be like Dawn of Justice right. So Mechagodzilla or whoever will engineer a fight between them and then we'll find out their moms have the same name and they'll team up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If I got to see Mechagodzilla in a big budget summer blockbuster I might literally die in my seat.

• Locked thread