Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Push El Burrito posted:

The Hulk stealth section was them making fun of the previous Hulk game which had Banner stealth sections that everyone hated.

I never knew that, thanks! I just thought it was a funny little thing the devs threw in because they were amused by the idea (and rightly so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I imagine it's also meant to be referencing Solid Snake's cardboard box.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Forced stealth sections that were always garbage seems like a fad that only died out when every AAA game became an open world sandbox with stealth elements and thus at least built in basic stealth tools to the core gameplay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do you feel about Ted Faro?

Hey, gently caress that guy!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Forced stealth sections that were always garbage seems like a fad that only died out when every AAA game became an open world sandbox with stealth elements and thus at least built in basic stealth tools to the core gameplay.

Tell that to Final Fantasy 14. >_>

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

They're still there, and they're still garbage in every game that tries to sneak by without a major investment in stealth like MGS or maybe Last of Us.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hey, gently caress that guy!!

Easy to criticize the Farochain when you don't understand the technology.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
MAD MAX

this game loving whips rear end. i had it on ps4 picked it up on steam for 5$ and it runs wondefully on my laptop. Game is just as good as i remember though i do need to get a controller i forgot what driving cars with m+kb was like lmao

i cant get out of capture mode every stupid little thing i do I HAVE TO go to capture mode and look at it from 10000 different angles. I havent played this in forever so everything is nice and fresh and new

you wouldnt think a giant seabed turned desert would be pretty and fun to drive around in but no it owns and it owns hard

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ohhh i was thinking of Ted Lasso

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jestery posted:

It kinda felt like I was playing through an episode of the magic school bus at times. But I would much prefer a game that awkwardly succeeds at a multi ethnic and non trad gender cast. Rather than tripping over their dick with an ill thought out race or societal parable. Was just a bit hard to take intertribal conflict barriers too seriously when everyone was just so nice to each other . All art is political and all thst

Did you skip over the parts of the story that explain why all the tribes have mixed ethnicities?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
exploded this assholes car and his friend then hit him with a harpoon at 70 miles an hour

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Did you skip over the parts of the story that explain why all the tribes have mixed ethnicities?

*taps the thread title*

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

verbal enema posted:

exploded this assholes car and his friend then hit him with a harpoon at 70 miles an hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMbsBkjMwbc

I’d give drat near anything to figure out how this glitch happened. Beating the infinite poo poo out of this dude was extremely satisfying.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Righto...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got further into the first optional mission in Nioh, death to bandits.

THere's an interesting aspect of the optional mission in how it rearranges some things in the level. The overall geometry is identical you just do it backwards in this case, but they move the shrines to places that make more sense, but also a shortcut seems to have been removed, but it just slightly changes the flow of the level. There is a gate at the top of a hill that in the normal level you open from the beach to make a big shortcut, but the gate remains permanently sealed in the optional mission - this is probably because there IS a shortcut you can take, it's just slightly different. Instead of taking the gate, you can go on the path just past it and drop down behind that row of buildings, so an old shortcut that didn't really have a point (that I remember, I haven't played the actual level in months due to being stuck on that boss for so long, it may have led to a ladder that allowed me to navigate more of the maze) because it would have taken you backwards in the story mission, or maybe to a very small few items, now actually is quite useful.
The levels are basically designed to work in multiple directions, just in different ways.
It's kind of the level design equivalent of an ambigram, where there are little lines that don't make sense looking in one direction but when you turn it upside down you realise what their true purpose is.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

verbal enema posted:

mad max rules.

if you have the PC version i recommend looking for the colour tweak to make the world as vibrant as Fury Road. it rules and the cokours absolutely pop

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sally posted:

mad max rules.

if you have the PC version i recommend looking for the colour tweak to make the world as vibrant as Fury Road. it rules and the cokours absolutely pop

ill check it out

i should also watch fury road as i havent seen it

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

verbal enema posted:

ill check it out

i should also watch fury road as i havent seen it

Oh you must, it's one of the best action movies ever made.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A lot of people will tell you it is THE best action movie ever made, period. And while I'm not sure I'd go that far it's certainly top five of the past decade at least

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here's a thing I can tell you about Fury Road:

There is no CGI in this shot.

E: ok, maybe the saturation is pumped a little.

Phy has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Jan 6, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
FR whips so much rear end, and a big part of it is that Miller asked his wife, Margaret Sixel, to edit it. She had never edited an action movie before and asked him why, and he said that if he had a man edit it, it would look like every other fuckin action flick. Her unique perspective gave the movie the qualities that made it so astounding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Charlize Theron was robbed that year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

A lot of people will tell you it is THE best action movie ever made, period. And while I'm not sure I'd go that far it's certainly top five of the past decade at least

What matters is that it's in that conversation at all. Like I'm undecided as to whether it beats T2 but that could be nostalgia.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

credburn posted:

There's a really awesome bit in Mafia III where you crash into the attic of a church, and you hear what sounds like distant hymns or a choir, but as you get closer to the source you find it's just "White Room" by Cream reverberating in the huge church halls.

I'm well into Mafia III at the moment, they do such great stuff with the licensed soundtrack. The opening credits are one of the best I've ever seen, with excellent use of Paint It, Black.

Spoilers, but only for literally the opening:
https://youtu.be/C2bePXRPRoI

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FR (Fury Road) is a movie I think people should watch and then rewatch like the next day to appreciate just how good it is.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sally posted:

mad max rules.

gently caress I just finished the game and uninstalled it, wish I'd known about that tweak!

Anyway the game rules and I liked how each region of the map had a slightly different feel to what it was. I really liked the bit very late in the game story where you are angry with Chumbucket and won't speak to him, and you can drive the length of the map with him begging you to talk and getting freaked out

Had a really funny glitch though for me in Gastown when I had to do the gastown race which apparently really sucks, Stank Gum's car glitched early on and got stuck vertically in the middle of the track unable to move. So I just stopped nearby and fired thunderpoons until he explosed

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

exquisite tea posted:

No , I finished it and I it's nice that that there was narrative weight behind that. It's good I'm not Gunna dock the game points for it whatsoever. This is firmly in the interesting column and more a bit of just navel gazing.

Just like, given my experiences with how apt humans are to be tribal and have issues with people for the slightest thing , you could really feel the hand of the writer just deliberately not opening that can of worms and just writing in the treatment "and this post apocalyptic society had no issues with race"

There were touches here and there regarding gender roles which, while a little superficial, shows a willingness to engage with gender politics. And a triple A game being successful at that is a welcome suprise

Which is fine, as I said. Not everything needs to be about everything.Better that than some failed ham fisted parable. Just it began to feel a bit childish or YA novel-esque at times for it.

To sorta jump back to point of this thread of poo poo you like not poo poo that makes you go hmm , I liked
the semiotics of the world how the tutorial area had the beginnings of written language starting to pop up again was super cool, I'm an interpreter by trade, and my second language lacks a written form so I have a love for hieroglyphic and symbolic writing forms, it really scratched that itch. and like how the all the tribes had a consistent aesthetic, a touch repetitive but, very cool ultimately

Nil was weird but cool enough to bounce off of

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Darkest Dungeon 2's tone is so rad. I love the biting sarcasm in every single "the people have been given hope!!! the loathing abates!!! good job!!!" quip from the Ancestor. On the surface it's completely straightforward: Flip the first game's theme on its head to find your heroes restoring light and hope to the world one piece at at a time instead of struggling for ground as it is continually taken away. You start equipped with desire, instead of nihilism.

But then you look deeper and find that actually nothing has changed for your poor gang of idiots. If anything it's even worse for them, because now they are now actively choosing to sacrifice life and limb to bring the flame to the mountain. They give up everything! You watch them whittle away as you head down the road, becoming MAYBE friends if you maintain them really well and actively hateful at worst. Instead of being adventurers driven to the estate by their last thread, this time they came wearing full clothes and the game sees you slowly unravel it. Darkest Dungeon 2, by my interpretation, is not necessarily about bringing hope back to the world, it's moreso about keeping hope from fleeing your lovely little carriage along the way! When you stop on the roadside to spread flame to the peasantry the prompt says stuff like "We will bring you errant folk light and peace!" but what it should actually say is "helping you is the only thing keeping me sane, thank you!"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 6, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I've been playing Wildermyth, which is a tactical RPG with a procedurally generated storytelling system. There's like five ready made campaigns with an overarching narrative or you can play a generic one where you can just see where the events take you. It's extremely customizable and you can download other events that other people have made and you can do custom campaigns but it seems like nobody has done that and uploaded it yet sadly.

Once you finish a campaign you have the option to put your heroes into your "legacy" and then you can recruit them in future campaigns and your party will react to them based on how much fame they've accrued. It's really cool.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I wish the characters weren't drawn by Tim Buckley but yeah it's neat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
holy poo poo Fury Road is SICK

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's alright

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fury Road is very good, but I can't quite love it because it's so exhausting. There's a ton of good action, but it's so constantly on that I'm ready for a nap before the 90 minute mark.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BioEnchanted posted:

Got further into the first optional mission in Nioh, death to bandits.

THere's an interesting aspect of the optional mission in how it rearranges some things in the level. The overall geometry is identical you just do it backwards in this case, but they move the shrines to places that make more sense, but also a shortcut seems to have been removed, but it just slightly changes the flow of the level. There is a gate at the top of a hill that in the normal level you open from the beach to make a big shortcut, but the gate remains permanently sealed in the optional mission - this is probably because there IS a shortcut you can take, it's just slightly different. Instead of taking the gate, you can go on the path just past it and drop down behind that row of buildings, so an old shortcut that didn't really have a point (that I remember, I haven't played the actual level in months due to being stuck on that boss for so long, it may have led to a ladder that allowed me to navigate more of the maze) because it would have taken you backwards in the story mission, or maybe to a very small few items, now actually is quite useful.
The levels are basically designed to work in multiple directions, just in different ways.
It's kind of the level design equivalent of an ambigram, where there are little lines that don't make sense looking in one direction but when you turn it upside down you realise what their true purpose is.

Yeah it becomes a running theme letting you experience levels from different angles (usually in reverse). I played the poo poo out of Nioh 1. Haven’t tried 2 yet as I’ve heard it’s even harder than the first one.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah it becomes a running theme letting you experience levels from different angles (usually in reverse). I played the poo poo out of Nioh 1. Haven’t tried 2 yet as I’ve heard it’s even harder than the first one.

I don't know where you heard that but it's not true. It's about as hard as the first but the systems are improved and polished so in the end it's a bit easier.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I actually really liked the story of Mad Max. Having (end game spoilers) the people you’re protecting getting murdered and that pushing Max even deeper into his hole was not something I saw coming. Chum Bucket and the Magnum Opus got done pretty raw, but I guess Max really was just that Mad at that point.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hel posted:

I don't know where you heard that but it's not true. It's about as hard as the first but the systems are improved and polished so in the end it's a bit easier.

I’ll go back and check it out when I’m done screwing around with Castlevania GBA games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nioh 2 has what I think is the single best character creator in video games, which is very much a PYF for me. You can spend hours upon hours making poo poo on it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so i watched all of Fury Road while at work cuz we were slow as poo poo and yeah that movie is easily top THREE of best action movies ever.

1. Judge Dredd with Syl Stallone
2. Demolition Man
3. Fury Road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Where is tango and cash