Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Titanfall 2 was worth 60 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

I am not emptyquoting this very correct post.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well, that settles that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brightman posted:

Maybe the PS5 will be backwards compatible since the PS4's architecture isn't completely bonkers. Granted they seem fairly content with milking the slim and pro for a bit longer anyway.

At this point, there's very little reason to invest in custom architecture. Handheld consoles will be ARM, stationary will be x86 since it won't have the same power and cooling constraints.

BC should work from here through the next gen or two easily. I think the bigger issue that they are going to encounter is when to draw the line on older console compatibility with newer games that need more resources to be playable.

The PS5 may not be much beyond the PS4 Pro from a hardware perspective, but they may need to make the name change in order move the games past older hardware targets.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Titanfall 2's single-player campaign alone was worth the $60 when it first came out.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Fame Douglas posted:

They also have a website up containing all information, including a complete car list: https://www.ea.com/games/burnout/burnout-paradise-remastered/features

This is kinda puzzling:

Yeah, that's awful. The PS3 version had 8-player multiplayer. Yet another reason this port isn't worth $40.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Real hurthling! posted:

Feels like it has to be. After everyone switched to ps4 from 360 they built big libraries that would lock them into the ecosystem going forward

Yeah, that's a great point, and if it weren't for the fact that Sony was killing it like 2:1 they'd probably speed it up a bit and release a newer console sooner rather than later, cellphone upgrade model aside, not sure how that could play into this.

bull3964 posted:

At this point, there's very little reason to invest in custom architecture. Handheld consoles will be ARM, stationary will be x86 since it won't have the same power and cooling constraints.

BC should work from here through the next gen or two easily. I think the bigger issue that they are going to encounter is when to draw the line on older console compatibility with newer games that need more resources to be playable.

The PS5 may not be much beyond the PS4 Pro from a hardware perspective, but they may need to make the name change in order move the games past older hardware targets.

The line between games being on newer hardware or older will just be blurred like it usually is at first where the games will be released on both with different SKUs and shittier graphics on the PS4. I think the next obvious jump hardware wise is just true 4k all the time, maybe with even higher resolutions possible depending on how long it takes for the next hardware iteration to come around, although 4ktv adoption rate still seems rather low today...okay, poo poo, I'm wrong about that, the adoption rate has more than doubled in the last three years and reportedly it's being adopted much faster than HDTV, huh.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Between Switch and PS4 this is probably one of my favorite console gens since PS2/Xbox/GC and SNES/Genesis.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Morby posted:

Between Switch and PS4 this is probably one of my favorite console gens since PS2/Xbox/GC and SNES/Genesis.

Dreamcast was the best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hopper posted:

Why would you even consider preordering a remastered game?

You possibly dont understand just how badly I want to play more Burnout my friend. New burnout would have been better, and honestly I preferred 3 to Paradis,e but there hasnt even been anything reasonably close to a burnout game in this console generation.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Why do you guys get 20% off on pre-order from prime? I never heard of that here. Goddamn Americans and your stupidly generous discounts on everything.

Over her either is a whopping 2€ discount apparently :downsrim:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Far Cry 4 is on sale. 18 bucks for the game and season pass. Worth it? Enough content there for the price?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Dreamcast was the best.

:hfive:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RIP Dreamcast, you were too good for this cursed earth.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Literally the only things I remember about the Dreamcast were Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online, and the fact that it was pathetically easy to pirate games on it

:shrug:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

RIP Dreamcast, you were too good for this cursed earth.

I am hype af for Shenmue 3 and its release on PS5 in 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bull3964 posted:

This is what I'm thinking. The previous model of console releases makes no sense anymore. I think PS5 will happen, but it'll just be a name to drum up hype for it more than an entirely new platform. I see the future of consoles being closer to phone releases, only not on a yearly release schedule. it'll be the only way to keep them relevant and affordable. Of course I really hope this includes pretty much full BC.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 21, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ciaphas posted:

Literally the only things I remember about the Dreamcast were Crazy Taxi, Phantasy Star Online, and the fact that it was pathetically easy to pirate games on it

:shrug:

You don't remember all the amazing Capcom fighters that were ported over?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

You don't remember all the amazing Capcom fighters that were ported over?

Gonna take you for a ride

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dreamcast had so many unique and outright bizarre games that it was impossible not to love. Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, ILLBLEED, Seaman, Typing of the Dead, Phantasy Star Online, Space Channel 5, that's in addition to all the usual console fare and arcade-perfect ports. I loved how eclectic the Dreamcast library was, you just don't see that kind of celebration of weirdness in the modern console market.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

The Dreamcast had so many unique and outright bizarre games that it was impossible not to love. Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, ILLBLEED, Seaman, Typing of the Dead, Phantasy Star Online, Space Channel 5, that's in addition to all the usual console fare and arcade-perfect ports. I loved how eclectic the Dreamcast library was, you just don't see that kind of celebration of weirdness in the modern console market.

I tried to write and post about the DC but couldn't get it right. This is the post I wanted.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seaman was loving :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Even the worst games on the Dreamcast tended to be kind of interesting. One of the games I found most fascinating was Industrial Spy: Operation Espionage, which was like a pseudo-Lifeline where you played the operator to an anime Mission Impossible team. It plays like trash but the idea of managing a team of anime spies stealing top secret stuff was cool. ILLBLEED is such a terrible game mechanically but it's a treat to see everything in it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Brightman posted:

okay, poo poo, I'm wrong about that, the adoption rate has more than doubled in the last three years and reportedly it's being adopted much faster than HDTV, huh.

I don’t know what the actual data is but I feel like 4K prices have been dropping a lot faster than HDTVs did.

Also, Dreamcast ftmfw

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

The arcade perfect ports were a huge goddamn deal. Arcades were coming towards the end of their lifespan (:rip:) at that time, and a lot of it was because consoles were starting to be able to duplicate those kinds of graphics at home.

Man, I miss arcades.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Far Cry 4 is on sale. 18 bucks for the game and season pass. Worth it? Enough content there for the price?

The base game is probably worth it if you like the Far Cry formula since it's more of the same. I never really got that interested in the DLC, although that escape from prison roguelike mode sounded really cool.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WarEternal posted:

Titanfall 2 worth $10?

Worth three times that easily!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Gonna take you for a ride

This is literally burned into my brain

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TAKE ME TO KFC

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Armada and Tech Romancer were cool weird games as well. The latter was in MvC2! The former died a Korean mmo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read that Metal Gear Survive was to be released tomorrow so I looked at a few game-play videos and there is literally nothing in there that would seem tolerable let alone enjoyable to me. Is there anything besides boring grinding to the game? (I mean it said it was released in foreign lands today.)

I didn't notice it was 2:17 :doh:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks again for the Bloodborne tips guys! I beat Gascoigne and now I’m officially at the furthest point of the game that I’ve ever been. And not giving up this time! My heart felt like it was going to explode at the end of that boss fight, gently caress. It was awesome though. I recognized that when I’m low on health and the enemy is too, I have a habit of panicking and trying to hack and slash to win. It doesn’t often work and I’m learning to stay cool under pressure.

Game is so good. I can’t guarantee I won’t get mad at it and drop it again but right now I’m feeling great.

Does anyone care about my BB posts? I don’t want to be annoying with it and could always track down the main thread or shush up. It’s just fun to talk about and I’m sure it’s amusing for some of you to listen to someone experience the game (mostly, thx inability to not look at boss screenshots) fresh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

Bloodstained is the “not Castlevania” getting made by Iga and all accounts and information say this is going to be this generation’s Symphony of the Night. It’s Kickstarter is everything MN9’s was not, so it’s going really well and the developers frequently touch base about how it’s going. A big budget 3D Metroidvania game... probably the new Darksiders coming out soon, if it’s more like 1 and less like 2?

Bloodstained looks loving great; still very excited.

jeffLebowski posted:

is it me... or is uncharted lost legacy by far the best uncharted game? i started it the other day just for completions sake and i could not believe how great it looks, how well written it is, how cool the finale is, how good the chloe/nadine bromance is, how perfect the pacing is, and several other things that are spoilerish in nature (i mean goddamn... that last level). i was really surprised by how well the uncharted formula really works when the fat and filler is trimmed (i liked 4, but it does get slow sometimes). its just kind of strange that the best uncharted game doesnt have nathan drake in for a single second. i went from kind of being done with the series to absolutely being up for more.

LL is an awesome greatest hits collection and the melee combat upgrades are loving sweet. Its highs aren't as good as UC3, tho, and neither are its character moments. I liked LL a lot better than 4.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apparently MGS Survive is out today 🤔

And the world kept turning...

Kilometers Davis posted:

HELL YEAH a good Bloodborne thing happened. I was wandering around trying to find confidence for another round with the cleric beast. I randomly saw something on the ground about summoning daddy gascans. I was suspicious of it but I went all in and boom, he’s there helping me! I beamed straight to the big fella and the good Father tanked his rear end until death (rip Dad), getting the beast down to about 65% health and I worked him down the rest of the way. Yesssssss.

e: wait I just realized he totally helped me because he was sick of waiting for me to get good and helped me so he can now proceed to kick my rear end for hours. drat. Got me.

"Beasts all over the shop...you'll be one of them, sooner or later..."

veni veni veni posted:

:yeah: I feel like if somebody buys Tf2 for $10 they almost owe Respawn some pointless DLC weapon-camo money after the fact.

Hopper posted:

Why do you guys get 20% off on pre-order from prime? I never heard of that here. Goddamn Americans and your stupidly generous discounts on everything.

Over her either is a whopping 2€ discount apparently :downsrim:

Welcome to the only perk for living amid the ruins of an unregulated commodity-capitalist hellscape.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks again for the Bloodborne tips guys! I beat Gascoigne and now I’m officially at the furthest point of the game that I’ve ever been. And not giving up this time! My heart felt like it was going to explode at the end of that boss fight, gently caress. It was awesome though. I recognized that when I’m low on health and the enemy is too, I have a habit of panicking and trying to hack and slash to win. It doesn’t often work and I’m learning to stay cool under pressure.

Game is so good. I can’t guarantee I won’t get mad at it and drop it again but right now I’m feeling great.

Does anyone care about my BB posts? I don’t want to be annoying with it and could always track down the main thread or shush up. It’s just fun to talk about and I’m sure it’s amusing for some of you to listen to someone experience the game (mostly, thx inability to not look at boss screenshots) fresh.

I love reading Bloodborne posts. The main BB thread is super active considering the age of the game as well. It barely leaves the games front page. The BB thread revels in tales of players on their first run and I'm pretty sure a lot of posters in here have a fondness for BB stories as well.

There is a lot of lore in the BB thread which might be worth skipping then reading when you're done. You'll get a lot of fun holy poo poo moments throughout the game and the more from reading the thread after since the game is so dense.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I love reading Bloodborne posts. The main BB thread is super active considering the age of the game as well. It barely leaves the games front page. The BB thread revels in tales of players on their first run and I'm pretty sure a lot of posters in here have a fondness for BB stories as well.

There is a lot of lore in the BB thread which might be worth skipping then reading when you're done. You'll get a lot of fun holy poo poo moments throughout the game and the more from reading the thread after since the game is so dense.

It's fun to watch people lapse into frenzy and madness as they play a videogame that causes the human mind to exlode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Armada and Tech Romancer were cool weird games as well. The latter was in MvC2! The former died a Korean mmo.

Do you mean Jin? Because he's originally from Cyberbots, which just cameo'd as a hidden character in Ttttech Rrrromancer!

Also holy poo poo; someone else played Tech Romancer :hfive:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

FUckin hell yeah. And on top of all that it had the INTERNET. It was the first internet-capable thing in my home (and the only one for quite a while) and it introduced me to all the terrible things that make me who I am today. At my core I am still that kid staying up until 3 AM goofing off on IRC or playing PSO or Quake 3 Arena.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

FUckin hell yeah. And on top of all that it had the INTERNET. It was the first internet-capable thing in my home (and the only one for quite a while) and it introduced me to all the terrible things that make me who I am today. At my core I am still that kid staying up until 3 AM goofing off on IRC or playing PSO or Quake 3 Arena.

Also you could use it to look at porn without having to use the family computer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I definitely prevented at least one late-night family emergency phone call from getting through to my parents because I had the phone line tied up while I downloaded porn jpegs displayed at 480i in that godawful browser. Bless that console, it provided so many formative experiences.