Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Personally, I'd prefer an Audi R8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've never sat in one but is it really that comfortable for that long of a drive? The visibility also seems to be rear end in those.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

M2. Go to tengernsee

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Busy Bee posted:

If you guys had to take a 3 to 4 day road trip in Southern Germany in the Spring going to different castles and driving around the Alps, which type of BMW would you go for?

BMW 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 series + X3, X4, X5, X6

I was thinking of any of the BMW Coupes that are offered but would it be more comfortable driving around in the larger body models?

I have done this first in my 1 Series.

And then again in my 3 Series.

Unsurprisingly the 3 Series was much more comfortable especially for longer driving sessions. However my 1 Series was much easier to manoeuvre in some of the tight as gently caress parking situations you’re likely to encounter.

I would suggest a 3 Series Touring, as you’ll want the extra cargo space for all the beer, chocolate and teddy bears you’ll accumulate. A X model is going to be far too big and not much fun on the twisty alpine roads. Also forget Tegernsee, Schonau am Konigsee is where it’s at.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've never sat in one but is it really that comfortable for that long of a drive? The visibility also seems to be rear end in those.

If 'rona hadn't hosed it up, I'd have gotten to drive across Spain in one and been able to tell you. Supposedly, it's a pretty normal Audi interior, so I can't imagine it's that uncomfortable. Even if it is, I think it's probably worth putting up with it for the V10 alone.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Which would be blowing straight into your ear for thousands of miles

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m honestly baffled about what people like anymore you know. Like how bad are ya bones that you have to have a floaty boat of a car to consider driving 30 feet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KillHour posted:

If 'rona hadn't hosed it up, I'd have gotten to drive across Spain in one and been able to tell you. Supposedly, it's a pretty normal Audi interior, so I can't imagine it's that uncomfortable. Even if it is, I think it's probably worth putting up with it for the V10 alone.

Only driven the V8 but it's super comfy. Engine noise was far from a concern. The Z4M is harder on the ears on a long drive.

It's considerably quieter than the Gallardo, which itself isn't that loud inside for what it is. Apples-oranges engines yes, but it's the insulation I'm addressing

If I were to compare it to anything driving/interior-feel-wise it'd be the GT-R

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Busy Bee posted:

If you guys had to take a 3 to 4 day road trip in Southern Germany in the Spring going to different castles and driving around the Alps, which type of BMW would you go for?

I was thinking of any of the BMW Coupes that are offered but would it be more comfortable driving around in the larger body models?

Is this some sort of rental program BMW offers?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bape Culture posted:

I’m honestly baffled about what people like anymore you know. Like how bad are ya bones that you have to have a floaty boat of a car to consider driving 30 feet.
I love me a driver's car but if I'm driving across a country, I'll take a giant sofa, thank you very much.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The 2028 M3, for today's modern BMW enthusiast's ULTIMATE daily driving comfort

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Is this some sort of rental program BMW offers?

Yup, exactly - you can find more info here https://www.bmw-welt.com/en/experience/driving_pleasure.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thanks, that's not a bad option for Germany!

Anyone else have good suggestions for extended, reasonably priced/fun-ish European rentals? Avis in Milan gave you a stick Fiat 124 (Mazda Miata) if you rented a manual convertible, which was kind of a fun way to drive around Lake Como for a few days.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sixt is a pretty big rental company in Germany with some pretty fun cars available. I rental a VW Scirocco and a BMW 135i through them a few years ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sixt is a pretty big rental company in Germany with some pretty fun cars available. I rental a VW Scirocco and a BMW 135i through them a few years ago.

I've used Sixt before as well: twice in South Africa, where I had no issues whatsoever, and once at the Denver Airport, where they blamed me for a windshield chip and charged me $150. :rolleyes:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

I've used Sixt before as well: twice in South Africa, where I had no issues whatsoever, and once at the Denver Airport, where they blamed me for a windshield chip and charged me $150. :rolleyes:

Lmao, that’s a complete scam because any car on the road for more than 6 minutes out here is going to get a chip or crack on the windshield. They basically throw gravel on the roads in winter.

In other news, people are getting the g8x on the dyno and they’re massively underrated as is bmw tradition.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You running scrubs? What are they

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I rented an M140 through this program a couple of years ago and it was pretty great. A fun opportunity to drive a neat little car we don't get in the US, and I thought the price was pretty reasonable. A coworker did the same with an M4 and had a ball.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

Lmao, that’s a complete scam because any car on the road for more than 6 minutes out here is going to get a chip or crack on the windshield. They basically throw gravel on the roads in winter.

In other news, people are getting the g8x on the dyno and they’re massively underrated as is bmw tradition.

So cool that the M3 went from a bespoke V8 to a modified version of their normal I6 to a CUV engine.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You say bespoke v8 as if it didn't have catastrophic foibles.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A $2500 easily predictable prophylactic measure at 40-60k miles is pretty catastrophic, it's true. Luckily other engines never need maintenance

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

You say bespoke v8 as if it didn't have catastrophic foibles.

"Bespoke" definitely implies "finicky, overly complicated and expensive" to me. I can't think of a car that ever existed that could be called both "bespoke" and "reliable."

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

I rented an M140 through this program a couple of years ago and it was pretty great. A fun opportunity to drive a neat little car we don't get in the US, and I thought the price was pretty reasonable. A coworker did the same with an M4 and had a ball.

Looking forward to it! Based on some recommendations from this thread I am planning on renting an M2 unless other people recommend other models.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

"Bespoke" definitely implies "finicky, overly complicated and expensive" to me. I can't think of a car that ever existed that could be called both "bespoke" and "reliable."

How is it in the year 1988? Buy bitcoin when you get a chance

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Yup. From reading reviews, it’s a pretty common scam they run there. Live, learn, and take pictures next time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

i feel like if you're looking for reliability this isn't really the optimal thread

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like if you're looking for reliability this isn't really the optimal thread

BMW Thread: If you're looking for reliability this isn't really the optimal thread

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

A $2500 easily predictable prophylactic measure at 40-60k miles is pretty catastrophic, it's true. Luckily other engines never need maintenance

Speaking of being in 1988 lmao, that's about the last time a major maintenance interval like this was remotely acceptable

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

So cool that the M3 went from a bespoke V8 to a modified version of their normal I6 to a CUV engine.

This is a very hot take.

The M3 (and most other M cars) have always had a modified version of a "regular" engine starting the E30 S14 (M50 with different heads). The e90 M3 is an outlier although I'd hardly call an M5 engine with 2 cylinders lopped off "bespoke".

As for your CUV engine comment...the S58 is an absolute monster of an engine and non-competition M4's delivered today are putting out over 500 horsepower at the crank before being broken in. It's safe to assume that the Comp models are going to be closer to 600 HP than 500.

Am I supposed to care that BMW is putting its high output twin turbo charged I6 into CUVs?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The S14 is based on a 4cylinder M10, not M50, but it's way different. It certainly has a different head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

How is it in the year 1988? Buy bitcoin when you get a chance

With all the platform sharing going on, I think you may be the one living in the past. Name a reliable engine that only exists in one car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kronix posted:

The e90 M3 is an outlier although I'd hardly call an M5 engine with 2 cylinders lopped off "bespoke".

I can overlook and forgive a lot but this has merited one hearty :aslol: from me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

People don’t half chat poo poo. As if “lopping off cylinders” is how anything works in practice lmao.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

The S14 is based on a 4cylinder M10, not M50, but it's way different. It certainly has a different head.

You're right, I confused my 30 year old BMW engines.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can overlook and forgive a lot but this has merited one hearty :aslol: from me.

The engine wasn't specifically developed for the M3. Let's go to the dictionary.

quote:

Bespoke

adjective
made to individual order; custom-made.

I have zero patience for M car snobbery. It's completely hilarious that people who are buying a sports car off a dealership lot from a major manufacturer argue that their engine is "bespoke". The real vs fake M car masturbation is better left to bimmerpost.

kronix fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 16, 2021

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Busy Bee posted:

S1000RR is the correct answer.

But of the choices you listed I'd say M4 or M2 in that order.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Just cut off two cylinders, Hans. Boss says this one only needs to be a V8."

"Ok, I'll cut up the cam shafts too after I slice the block."

"Come on freundlich, you have to work smarter, not harder. Take the long block and just run it through the band saw, and then put it in the car."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the S65 is probably the most arguably bespoke of the BMW M car engines

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

"Just cut off two cylinders, Hans. Boss says this one only needs to be a V8."

"Ok, I'll cut up the cam shafts too after I slice the block."

"Come on freundlich, you have to work smarter, not harder. Take the long block and just run it through the band saw, and then put it in the car."

Bandsaw? Nah, hacksaw will do.

But you'll need an angle grinder for the camshafts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Test drove the M3 today and it's the best car ever made. Don't care how it looks. Don't care if BMW insulted your mother and took a poo poo on your senior yearbook. Just buy one.

The only thing I didn't like was how the manual transmission felt - could barely feel the clutch bite at all and the shifter felt mushy. This is gonna sound weird as hell but get the competition unless you absolutely MUST have a manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

With all the platform sharing going on, I think you may be the one living in the past. Name a reliable engine that only exists in one car.

I've spent less on maintenance for my S65 (and the rest of the car) in 6 years of ownership than I did in the same period of time on a purchased-new, out of warranty 2.5L Nissan Altima in the same period of time.

Nobody here has ever made any reliability complaints about their non-bespoke S65 V8 that only exists in one car, and the dreaded ROD BEARINGS issue seems to actually affect about ~5% of cars. After being very aware and observant of the issue for 8+ years as I ramped up to buy this car/became an owner, I don't know anyone personally in the E92 M3 owner community who's had a failure-level problem with it, and it's very easily observed and prevented by doing regular poo poo that anyone with a low-tolerance, high-revving performance engine does and has their oil analyzed by Blackstone. When was the last "BUT MUH ROD BEARINGS" post detailing someone's failure on m3post/bimmerpost?

I guess it's weird to me to say a non-bespoke V8 engine that only exists in one model of car that is otherwise extremely bulletproof and has many high-mileage examples out in the wild now is 'unreliable' since it *might* cost you $2500 to service it somewhere between 40k and 60k miles but what do I know.

In conclusion, everyone should buy a 458 or a 911 because those certainly don't cost $2500 to maintain at 40k miles and they share their motor across many platforms which makes things more reliable, proven by the above mentioned Nissan 2.5L that blew its headgasket at 70k miles the same as 99% of every single one of those cars did.