Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait Zane left?

I don't know. I was drawing x's based off of my memory and I haven't seen him in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

G0RF posted:

Dolvak should do a Star Citizen roundtable with Beer, Alken Stroud, and Scott Manley. Topics including the state of the game, the management of CIG, the fanbase, the business model, whatever.

These are some of the best informed and even handed critics-- and it would be an amazing thing to watch. Derek is radioactive by choice and is almost universally despised by the Faith Militant-- Beer still has his defenders amongst them.

That would make for a fantastic discussion. Even in spite of Dolvak.

Jesus this thread is too long to catch up. I've been reading the last few days and I had a theory you just confirmed.

Derek and Beer are not the same people. Right when I thought I was starting to follow things.

Im stupid

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's posturing by the lead moderator, who was later corrected by the VP of marketing as being totally wrong. Although I haven't gotten an update yet as to why I was really banned. Apparently it has something to do with the TOS and also my behavior on the forums. At least that's what David Swofford said to the media guy when asked.

I suppose CIG's threat that they will "examine your entire posting history and will ban for anything actionable" takes awhile when you have 5912 posts.

Well, remember they tried the same poo poo with me back in July after they told PC Gamer I had somehow violated their TOS? Then when cornered and asked for proof, they didn't have any since I'd never - ever- played the game nor posted on their forums? Thus couldn't have violated the TOS? Well, after that revelation, this happened.

quote:

Hey guys!

I believe I can clarify this. We refunded Mr. Smart’s package because he was using Star Citizen as a platform to gain attention as part of a campaign to promote his ‘Line of Defense’ space game. Our ToS (or in this case, the Kickstarter ToS) allows us to refund troubled users who we would rather not have interacting with the community. The process lets us entirely disable their accounts, preventing them from playing the finished game. Think of it as the video game equivalent of a ‘we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone’ sign in a restaurant. We’ve used this ability a limited number of times in the past, always with the aim of improving the community (until today, the most famous example being our old friend jcrg99/Manzes/PonyMillar/he of many other alts.)

I do now want to stress that that is not to say you can get your money back by simply being as obnoxious as possible; we’re also able to ban accounts from the forums without requiring a refund. But sometimes we take a look at a user and decide that they’re so toxic or their intentions are so sinister that we simply don’t want them associated with Star Citizen.

As for refund requests working the other way: per the ToS, we’re not required to offer them. We do try and work with backers who are facing hardships, but the hard truth is that the money is by necessity being spent to develop a game rather than sitting unused somewhere (that being the significant difference with Steam; those refunds are taken out of their games’ profits rather than their development budgets.)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eonwe posted:

okay lets get food chat going in here

My dear mother bought me an Avedo or Arveda or Orvado or something, immersion circulator for Christmas. And it is amazing. I recommend everyone get one. So far have done boneless/skinless chicken breasts (143F), little lobster tails (123F) and New York strips (120F and then seared in a smoking hot stainless pan for about 40 seconds per side). All turned out excellent.

And I bought my gf a Phillips pasta extruder and it is also amazing. Perfect home made pasta in 10 minutes, every time! Different shapes! It's like that Pla-doh thing you had when you're a kid! Seriously cool. My gf will make home made pasta once in a while but it's a pain in the rear end with using the mixer and kneading and letting it rest and then running it through that goddamned hand crank thingy and then balling it back up and doing it again because you hosed it up. I'd never do it that way even once even if my life depended on it.

But I can sure as poo poo dump some flour and eggs and water into a robot and then press a button.

Planning on, via massive carb consumption, ballooning up to Lesnick size and then going on disability because I'll be too fat to fit in my office chair. Or through doorways. Or into a car smaller than a Winnebago.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Free Kimsemus.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Interesting, so you know for a fact that they've downsized? What I don't get is, if they did, why not just say it? I mean downsizing a studio when you have 300 people is not exactly a bad thing at different stages of development, not sure what all the secrecy is about.

Yes, it's a fact. I've heard it from several credible sources. The reason they won't admit to it is because a) Derek Smart broke the news first b) it looks like they are doing it because of low funds

You see, these morons forget that this is a VERY small industry and that people WILL talk. The key is to be very careful about what you make public as it has the potential to cause problems for people who don't have the means to defend themselves from bullshit legal threats.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, but I mean... you're Derek Smart.

Thinking you're an rear end in a top hat is the only thing some families can agree upon at Thanksgiving dinner.

ahahahahahaha! There is that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Grimshak posted:

Jesus this thread is too long to catch up. I've been reading the last few days and I had a theory you just confirmed.

Derek and Beer are not the same people. Right when I thought I was starting to follow things.

Im stupid
It's not a forum it's a livechat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Dolvak should do a Star Citizen roundtable with Beer, Alken Stroud, and Scott Manley. Topics including the state of the game, the management of CIG, the fanbase, the business model, whatever.

These are some of the best informed and even handed critics-- and it would be an amazing thing to watch. Derek is radioactive by choice and is almost universally despised by the Faith Militant-- Beer still has his defenders amongst them.

That would make for a fantastic discussion. Even in spite of Dolvak.

I would absolutely be down for that.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I wish I knew more about game design to explain what happens here. Because it's a pretty amusing bug.

Backface or occlusion culling bug of some sort; renderers generally don't render any triangle that would not be visible from the current camera viewpoint, due to being blocked by other objects or on the backside of a triangle currently visible, for efficiency. But if there's a bug with how the check to see if the triangle is visible from the current view or not is done, it will skip rendering triangles that really should be rendered, giving invisible geometry.

Given that when the bug occurs, the character is near the outer edge of the ship, and thus on the boundary of both a physics space and a zone (and thus, a coordinate system), I'm guessing the camera position managed to get erroneously reported in a different coordinate space outside the ship, leading to most of the visibility checks being calculated incorrectly. Notice the remaining visible geometry is all stuff that would normally be rendered from an outside view of the ship.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Madcosby posted:

you sure showed that unemployed mother fucker, derek

Hey, I didn't ask him to get on my case - in my feed. That's all on him.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Grimshak posted:

Im stupid

Beer was adopted by Derek Smart.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or you could just print it yourself:

I know nothing about art. Yet for reasons I can't explain, this poster offends me.

Maybe it's just that hideous dome they've covered the clock tower with but the perspective looks really off in that image. The tree behind the left side of the town hall appears to be clipping through the dome. Additionally, as a result of the oversized glass dome, there doesn't seem to be enough space between the Manchester brand offices and the town hall to fit a footpath (let alone roads).

I can't name it but the ship in the foreground (flying past Manchester offices) appears to be flying way too low.The exhaust trails coming behind it show it's going a pretty fast speed (as opposed to just hovering towards a landing pad), so it looks to be on a collision course. Why the civilians aren't running in fear is beyond me.

The brickwork (bridge? Building? Arch?) in the lower left looks really out of place. It looks like a doctored photo and really clashes with all the other buildings stylistically. Worse, the neon signs ("VISIT US" ">>") clash with the otherwise detailed brickwork and look like they were just cut and paste over it. Makes it look like a poorly shopped photograph. Doesn't help that the bridge awkwardly just stops at the glass dome.

How much they charging for this crap again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Food Lab is an amazing book that everyone should own.

i needed this. Thanks for that. Hopefully I can expand my limited repertoire.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Going to a cocktail bar in about 15 minutes that ages their concoctions in casks with herbs and poo poo. What kind of cocktail should I have goons?

Ask for a Pink Passion. They will smile and wink at you knowingly and understand that you're a serious alcohol aficionado.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I can see at least 5 with x's that are still there and I don't know them all.

It's a funny picture though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lemon King posted:

Beer was adopted by Derek Smart.

Actually I'm his puppet. When he's feeling benevolent he takes off his watch before ramming his hand up my rear end.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D_Smart posted:

It's bullshit.

Do you really think that if they had any case they wouldn't have done it by now? They wouldn't dare.

Plus, corporate espionage is criminal, not civil. And they'd have to file a complaint. If it ends up being false, they're in even bigger trouble both with the Feds AND also subject to civil lawsuit from myself and whoever they are accusing of that.

Any legal case stemming from this, brings us right back to the money of Star Citizen since this whole campaign has been specifically about money, management and misdeeds.

Oh I don't doubt it was all bullshit, especially given that Sandi & David stated that the reason given by their lead moderator wasn't the actual reason.

I'm more so pointing at how that line of thinking was so faulty.

Also nice new avatar.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Nyeehg posted:

I know nothing about art. Yet for reasons I can't explain, this poster offends me.

Maybe it's just that hideous dome they've covered the clock tower with but the perspective looks really off in that image. The tree behind the left side of the town hall appears to be clipping through the dome. Additionally, as a result of the oversized glass dome, there doesn't seem to be enough space between the Manchester brand offices and the town hall to fit a footpath (let alone roads).

I can't name it but the ship in the foreground (flying past Manchester offices) appears to be flying way too low.The exhaust trails coming behind it show it's going a pretty fast speed (as opposed to just hovering towards a landing pad), so it looks to be on a collision course. Why the civilians aren't running in fear is beyond me.

The brickwork (bridge? Building? Arch?) in the lower left looks really out of place. It looks like a doctored photo and really clashes with all the other buildings stylistically. Worse, the neon signs ("VISIT US" ">>") clash with the otherwise detailed brickwork and look like they were just cut and paste over it. Makes it look like a poorly shopped photograph. Doesn't help that the bridge awkwardly just stops at the glass dome.

How much they charging for this crap again?

i needed this. Thanks for that. Hopefully I can expand my limited repertoire.

Like all the other stuff put out by CIG it's a mess of cobbled together poo poo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Octopode posted:

Backface or occlusion culling bug of some sort; renderers generally don't render any triangle that would not be visible from the current camera viewpoint, due to being blocked by other objects or on the backside of a triangle currently visible, for efficiency. But if there's a bug with how the check to see if the triangle is visible from the current view or not is done, it will skip rendering triangles that really should be rendered, giving invisible geometry.

Given that when the bug occurs, the character is near the outer edge of the ship, and thus on the boundary of both a physics space and a zone (and thus, a coordinate system), I'm guessing the camera position managed to get erroneously reported in a different coordinate space outside the ship, leading to most of the visibility checks being calculated incorrectly. Notice the remaining visible geometry is all stuff that would normally be rendered from an outside view of the ship.

You're loving stupid.

1. He isn't near the outer edge of the ship, he's directly in the center of it. Unless you're calling the FLOOR the outer edge which is retarded because then you're always near the outer edge.
2. This isn't just a rendering issue because both PCs start floating.
3. The reason it looks like the ship disappeared, and the reason that both PCs are suddenly in zero g, is because the ship disappeared. I.e. the entire zone ceased to exist, leaving only the crap which actually isn't inside the zone (the exterior bits of the ship still being rendered).

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 8, 2016

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Nyeehg posted:

I count at least 4 or 5 different perspective vanishing points in that image - looks like it was thrown together from several different concept pieces rather than composed as a whole... given how CIG appears to work, that seems likely.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/01/star-citizen-backers-can-be-perma-banned-for-off-site-activity/

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Yes, it's bullshit. He's doing it for attention. We've been down this road

rofl, another mad shitizen buys a jpeg from lowtax

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

It won't. I know that for a fact. Don't ask me how I know. :)

https://twitter.com/WilliamUsherGB/status/685229346781556736

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Going to a cocktail bar in about 15 minutes that ages their concoctions in casks with herbs and poo poo. What kind of cocktail should I have goons?

A Hairy Roberts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The article is onilne

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/01/star-citizen-backers-can-be-perma-banned-for-off-site-activity/

e:f;b. Didn't see Beer's post above

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 8, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Hey, I didn't ask him to get on my case - in my feed. That's all on him.

As your av telling us all to shut the gently caress up, or someone telling you to shut the gently caress up? Either way it's pretty lame.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

:munch:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

DerekSmart DerekSmart DerekSmart

Dolvak wants to do an interview with you.

Nope. I don't do well with retarded cretins. Stu from Canada was enough for me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Even handed, doesn't really sugar coat things but just presents the facts. Backers will naturally consider it clickbait trash.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Nope. I don't do well with retarded cretins. Stu from Canada was enough for me.

You do ok with us... most of the time...

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lol

quote:

“[Dave] seemed to become disillusioned with the project and as is his right stopped being a fan. However he seemed to fall into a certain crowd that tends to associate itself with the Something Awful forums. For whatever reason they do it the group including certain antagonists such as Derek Smart who continue to disparage the Star Citizen. In my point of view Dave was a really nice person to meet, talk, and drink with at PAX East 2014 however it seemed that he only became “toxic” to the Star Citizen community after he started associating with specific people on the Something Awful forums.

we're the bad boys your parents dont want you hanging with

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Food Lab is an amazing book that everyone should own.

Also, spend all of your free time on the food lab website. It has recipes for (and the science behind) everything.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If they're bailing on Gamescom and only doing CitCon nine months from now that's really not a good sign from the perspective of showing progress.

They're saving money. Plus they have nothing to show.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ps that article is pretty tame actually i dont know how many people visit that site but it's nothing outrageous in that article since it repeats Beer was banned from their forums for something he posted, but that's not identified

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

This is me every morning when I get up to 1000 new posts

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:prepop:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

:argh:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL. People are mad enough over an imaginary game to spend $10 to change someone's avatar.

Though saying that, they have spent $1000's on fake imaginary spaceships for an imaginary game, so $10 is a drop in the ocean.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

fuctifino posted:

LOL. People are mad enough over an imaginary game to spend $10 to change someone's avatar.

Though saying that, they have spent $1000's on fake imaginary spaceships for an imaginary game, so $10 is a drop in the ocean.

Derek, don't sweat it, take it as a point of pride that you made someone mad enough to pay real money to give you a silly title, it's a point of pride among us shitposters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That's a different one.

• Locked thread