Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
89 on metacritic bruh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got new headphones and figured bloodborne would give them a nice place to impress me and I think I just pissed my pants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have enough good games in my backlog right now so that i don't think i ever need to concern myself with ones developed by nazis

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Bloodborne is never going to get a Pro patch is it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Kingdom Come has always looked like a simulator for frustrated white dads to me and I won't pay more than $5 for it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

JBP posted:

Kingdom Come has always looked like a simulator for frustrated white dads to me and I won't pay more than $5 for it.

??? Why?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

i have enough good games in my backlog right now so that i don't think i ever need to concern myself with ones developed by nazis

I haven't looked too far into the guy's history but he seems to not be a Nazi, just on the wrong side of an argument. He's also the lead writer from Mafia and Mafia 2, which people seemed to like (I never played them). It's also fairly likely that not everyone who worked on the game is a Nazi. Obsidian gave the game/studio a shout-out calling them "our friends" and Obsidian, at least at the highest levels, is extremely liberal/inclusive/anti-GamerGate and take that as you will.

Though of course I understand everyone has a different tipping point for what art is and isn't acceptable to consume. Plenty of people don't listen to Bowie or Zeppelin because they hosed teenagers with full knowledge of what they were doing, and I don't blame them.

JBP posted:

You're thinking of The Witcher 3 op

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game absolutely DOES have dark-skinned people, the actual outrage is that all manner of African people’s are not equally represented in a bumfuck, middle of nowhere country hundreds of kilometers away from any major trade routes. Even the historical accuracy police are grasping at straws on this one and the directors most toxic viewpoints genuinely have nothing to do with his game.

I don’t own Kingdom Come because it doesn’t look like my style of game but we’ve gone over this whole thing with a fine tooth comb in the games journalism thread and the culture warriors are decidedly wrong on this one.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
:psypop:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Boy that's a lot of stuff I wish I had never heard about a game's development or people's imaginings about a game's development or whatever it is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

henpod posted:

I don't have any time to play anything these days, and BF1 takes up most of my time. I am seriously tempted to get TitanFall2 for £12 as this thread seems to really, really love it.

It's as good as people joke about Knack being.

If that comes off wrong, it's actually good, do buy it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Boy that's a lot of stuff I wish I had never heard about a game's development or people's imaginings about a game's development or whatever it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did someone post something and delete it or are you referring to what I posted?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

Did someone post something and delete it or are you referring to what I posted?
Not just you or anything; the entire discussion was not the best way to be introduced to a game I just heard about for the first time today.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's probably the most expensive non-AAA release I've ever seen on Amazon. I think it's nearly €80
It's €49.99 in Smyths.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

It's €49.99 in Smyths.

Nice one, thanks! I never think of checking Smyths for games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Gamestop is so loving terrible that it's practically the only option. Argos can be good too, although KC is €54.99 there.

e: Also I know you're anti-preorder, but I noticed that recently Smyths are also giving €5 off if you pre-order games. I got Bayo 1+2 for Switch last week for €49.99 because I "pre-ordered" it about a week beforehand. It's a nice bonus if you know you want the game, and sure if you change your mind they don't actually charge you unless you pick it up. If you don't pick it up, they stick it on the shelf after 2 days.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 21, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Gamestop is so loving terrible that it's practically the only option. Argos can be good too, although KC is €54.99 there.

Yeah I usually check Argos. GameStop is ridiculous, they're usually €20 more than most places and their second hand stuff is often MORE expensive.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got Titanfall hell yeah, thanks to the poster who mentioned that it was £12

I’m gonna spend so much time this year catching up on stuff from 2015 onwards. Not even started Witcher III yet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not just you or anything; the entire discussion was not the best way to be introduced to a game I just heard about for the first time today.

Oh, yeah, understandable. I didn't know about it before I bought it, but I don't think it would have changed my decision; lots of artists I enjoy have done terrible things, not just said terrible things (and I honestly haven't even seen any specific thing the guy has said that's terrible, the only thing about GamerGate I've read from him was basically "Anita Sarkeesian isn't wrong but she's doing more harm than good" which is not the most damning statement in the world).

Bust Rodd posted:

in the games journalism thread

Where is this? I can't find it here or in D&D.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

precision posted:

Where is this? I can't find it here or in D&D.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835544&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My takeaway: yeah I still can’t wait to buy Kingdom Come when it gets mostly patched together. Game looks awesome and I can put up with the dev being an rear end about things. He’s not a Nazi ffs

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I wish Knack was black.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Knack Panther

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read up on the Kingdom Come dev when this was first brought up and he definitely seems like one of the less lovely GG-adjacent people, even if I disagree with him on a whole bunch of stuff

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Really, if one person being lovely is enough to provoke a statement about not buying a game, throw your whole drat collection in the bin.

Kingdom Come is funny in that respect though - seen goons accuse each other of being Nazis because of their support for the game, despite buying it on launch day before anyone else.

Eh. Modern Warfare Boycott.jpg I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smythes only has MOBA in stock.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Much like all other discussions pertaining to politics and culture, the games journalism thread is best avoided.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just in time for Knack History Month.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Really, if one person being lovely is enough to provoke a statement about not buying a game, throw your whole drat collection in the bin.

Also stop watching movies and listening to music entirely.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Like yeah, I get the need to stand against this sort of thing, but refusing to buy one game isn't exactly a loving sacrifice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i never said anything about sacrifice, i'm just not interested in buying and playing the game made by a nazi

if you want to buy and play the game made by a nazi, coolio, you do you

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

i never said anything about sacrifice,

Not everything is about you, champ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
lol you are super upset about this

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

lol you are super upset about this

?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"I'm totally uninterested in this game I'm obsessing about"

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

i never said anything about sacrifice, i'm just not interested in buying and playing the game made by a nazi

if you want to buy and play the game made by a nazi, coolio, you do you

I agree with your stance; but it isn't worth the effort to justify it on these forums, friend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not really convinced the guy with Jewish ancestors who grew up under the boot of the USSR is a Nazi. But, you do you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Weird gamergate slapfight aside, the stuff I hear about Kingdom Come as a game is the same sort of stuff I hear about the witcher series - light sprinkling of homophobia in its villains, lots of male gaze, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

Weird gamergate slapfight aside, the stuff I hear about Kingdom Come as a game is the same sort of stuff I hear about the witcher series - light sprinkling of homophobia in its villains, lots of male gaze, etc.

Oh the game itself absolutely is no worse than TW3 about that stuff, which is why goons getting mad about it is funny. If anything, so far the game has been not nearly as bad as I thought about those things. In the opening, the lead character stares longingly at a woman's rear end - an rear end that is covered in sackcloth and totally unshapely to a modern eye, so it came off as almost satirical.

I wouldn't exactly be surprised if CDPR had employees who are alt-Right shitheads. In fact, I'd like, bet money on it.