Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

None of these prices are sustainable. It’s because there’s a lot of interest in Standard but there wasn’t a month ago. As much as I can tell pack EV is higher than MSRP with several $50 cards. A lot of my local stores are having inventory problems with the set too.

Ooh ooh I can handle this one: DOM is sold out at distributors!

WotC did a thing where you could pick up your preorder at prerelease, so a lot of stores ordered extra or even double to deal with increased preorders, which caused distributors to run out before the set even launched

ASK me about not having boosters for a week and a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Must be a real feelbad for the FLGSes that have to watch mimiaturemarket and channelfireball sell a seemingly inexhaustible supply at 90 bucks a box while they have to ration sealed product so they can hold drafts.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ooh ooh I can handle this one: DOM is sold out at distributors!

WotC did a thing where you could pick up your preorder at prerelease, so a lot of stores ordered extra or even double to deal with increased preorders, which caused distributors to run out before the set even launched

ASK me about not having boosters for a week and a half

I was under the impression that they didn't give nearly enough for those prereleases. Our store probably had around 400 people over its 3 prereleases and IIRC they got 80 boxes they were allowed to give out before release day.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Smells like bullshit. Everyone knows magic is a dead game.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Dom is gonna get extra opened when the core set comes out and sucks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dragon enthusiast posted:

the issue isn't the casual REL it's the massive amount of clutter i have composed solely of worthless spindowns instead of something useful like d6es
If you don't like them, just give them away to people who do. New players loving love those things and giving them away generates good will.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The best thing about spindowns is that CFB or SCG (forgot which) will buylists then for like $0.50.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

It’s going to go down a lot in a month. Card sucks.

Ehhhhhhhhh maybe not.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Buffis posted:

I mean, prerelease is usually (always?) casual REL so using the die as life counter is fine.

My point is I use pen and paper for just about everything so I don’t want more lovely dice that I'm just going to throw out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

When is the final arena wipe planned for, even vaguely? Going to affect how i decide to burn my wild cards/how many gems to buy and what packs to open.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nephzinho posted:

When is the final arena wipe planned for, even vaguely? Going to affect how i decide to burn my wild cards/how many gems to buy and what packs to open.

The "final wipe" is when the game launches retail. Nobody knows when the next wipe will be.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
will we keep our wild cards or...?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Mox Amber seems like the kind of card that inexplicably holds a high price for a few months, while seeing no play in any good decks. There'll be a bunch of people 5-0ing on MTGO with Mox Amber brews that serve to keep the price up, but none of those lists will justify a $20 price tag for a standard card.

then again Carnage Tyrant also is still inexplicably $20, so who knows.

Kurtofan posted:

lol of course not

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

suicidesteve posted:

I was under the impression that they didn't give nearly enough for those prereleases. Our store probably had around 400 people over its 3 prereleases and IIRC they got 80 boxes they were allowed to give out before release day.

Yeah that falls under "stores upped orders and distributors didn't have enough product"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kurtofan posted:

If you bought gems and spent them you will get them back after the wipe.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Kurtofan posted:

Good question, let me shoot Maro an email.

(Presumably yes but probably no one knows, not even the developers of Arena)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Toshimo posted:

The "final wipe" is when the game launches retail. Nobody knows when the next wipe will be.

The next and final planned wipe is actually when open beta hits, they've said they don't plan on another wipe after. You'll get any gems you bought with real money back and nothing else.

Edit: Here's the FAQ

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Brawl updates
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/future-brawl-2018-05-10

quote:

If your commander has no colored mana symbols in its mana cost or rules text, you may choose one of the five basic lands (Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, or Forest). Your deck may include as many of that chosen basic land as you want.

quote:

Unbanned: Aetherworks Marvel, Felidar Guardian, Attune with Aether, Rogue Refiner, Rampaging Ferocidon, and Ramunap Ruins

quote:

Banned: Baral, Chief of Compliance and Sorcerous Spyglass

quote:

The starting life total for one-on-one Brawl games is now 20. (Multiplayer is still 30!)

RIP Smugglers Copter

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

It’s going to go down a lot in a month. Card sucks.

I was down on it initially, but it's doing work in Yawganimator where I have the card selection to get it plus land drops and a Baral. Turn 2 Baral is holding up a 1U counterspell with it.

Like, when it was spoiled I would have called it maybe a D, at this point if you're building around it right I'd call it a "build-around B."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 10, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

its a wipe. you will lose all progress and get reset to whatever the introductory stuff they give new accounts is, plus any gems you bought (but not ones you won in events)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Having put an dumb amount of money in it I kind of like the idea of getting to spend my gems again with more expansions out and a better idea how to do it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

Having put an dumb amount of money in it I kind of like the idea of getting to spend my gems again with more expansions out and a better idea how to do it.

:same:

I eagerly await the reset

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Is there a way ay to respond to my own triggered ability in Arena? I wanted to tap my creature in response to a trigger from another of my creatures but I couldn't figure out how.

I'm assuming there is no way to choose the order of my triggers either.

Both questions came up while playing the Dinosaur deck, which is a blast.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jorath posted:

Is there a way ay to respond to my own triggered ability in Arena? I wanted to tap my creature in response to a trigger from another of my creatures but I couldn't figure out how.

I'm assuming there is no way to choose the order of my triggers either.

Both questions came up while playing the Dinosaur deck, which is a blast.

Toggle total control with the CTRL key?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
More m19 commons slipped through

https://imgur.com/gallery/yDLb4TC

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kurtofan posted:

I really like the goblin motivator. Its not even restricted to goblins.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Extrememly lol that Blue gets a conditional 2/2 one-drop with no downside.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

neaden posted:

The next and final planned wipe is actually when open beta hits, they've said they don't plan on another wipe after. You'll get any gems you bought with real money back and nothing else.

Edit: Here's the FAQ

Open Beta and "retail" are essentially the same thing with this kind of product beyond them refusing to warranty against poo poo being broken like the First Strike damage step indicating the next step is END OF TURN when it's obviously not.

As for that Brawl article, it just makes me laugh that it reminded me there are 7 banned cards in Standard. Also, I had to laugh about a few people getting upset at the legality of Saheeli-Cat when a) you can't use Felidar Guardian in a deck where Saheeli Rai is the commander, and b) you can only use the combo with one specific commander anyways: Jodah, Archmage Eternal, because that's the only Jeskai commander in Standard (which is technically 5 color).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
What's with WotC and making cards in standard that are already in standard? Opt is in Ixalan and Dominaria, and Tolarian Scholar isn't even a full month old yet and it's in Core 19.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Matsuri posted:

What's with WotC and making cards in standard that are already in standard? Opt is in Ixalan and Dominaria, and Tolarian Scholar isn't even a full month old yet and it's in Core 19.

limited environment, although having opt and anticipate in the same set is strange.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Shadow225 posted:

In the long term, the game will be better off if blue gets real creatures & other colors get blue effects, but it's still pretty lol as of now

also: R/B needs some form of reactive counterplay to enchantments, even if it sucks. No, instant speed discard doesn't count.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

POWER CREEP

also this 2/2 for U might be a card

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shadow225 posted:

Shhh nobody tell this guy about Delver of Secrets

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Niton posted:

In the long term, the game will be better off if blue gets real creatures & other colors get blue effects, but it's still pretty lol as of now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Shhh nobody tell this guy about Delver of Secrets

Phantasmagoric Bear might give them a stroke

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

really odd that they would bad spyglass but not Gideon's Intervention

hosing planeswalker commanders completely is bad but hosing all commanders completely is good, i guess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Niton posted:

also: R/B needs some form of reactive counterplay to enchantments, even if it sucks. No, instant speed discard doesn't count.

blink of an eye is really the only thing i've found that does any good, but you need to also be holding a counterspell and open mana for the next turn

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

little munchkin posted:

hosing planeswalker commanders completely is bad but hosing all commanders completely is good, i guess

You could try reading the article.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

the article posted:

Along these lines, we also considered Gideon's Intervention and The Immortal Sun as potential bans due to their ability to lock out certain commanders. However, these cards cost considerably more mana, to the point where opponents can be expected to have found a way to remove or prevent them, or to punish the player casting them with a powerful play of their own. The fact that Gideon's Intervention is white also greatly reduces its frequency of play compared to Sorcerous Spyglass. We'll continue to listen to community feedback regarding these cards and others that can invalidate commanders.

E: Toshimo :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

I'm not sure that spoiling a bunch of really boring commons is the best way to build hype for a set...

Stuff like Tolarian Scholar and Cancel wont make anyone excited.