Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Lawnie posted:

Thank you for correcting this misconception; I'll never forget induction loops after an AP physics exam wanted you to derive all the necessary equations to determine current through a changing shape, moving rectangular loop :wtc:

Also it's annoying when people don't know about them because they stop too far back at red lights and everyone gets stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Did miscegenation laws prevent marriage between a white non-Hispanic and a white Hispanic?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Did miscegenation laws prevent marriage between a white non-Hispanic and a white Hispanic?

Depended on what part of the country you were in. There were some states and times where it would.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Depended on what part of the country you were in. There were some states and times where it would.

I guess the worst, which seems like Virginia. I tried to find out and most I was finding is that it wouldn't have counted, but it might have in Virginia.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

I guess the worst, which seems like Virginia. I tried to find out and most I was finding is that it wouldn't have counted, but it might have in Virginia.

Virginia probably wouldn't have cared about say some random white dude marrying a rich upper class Mexican (most of whom were from families that were still pretty much just Spanish because they didn't ever deign to intermarry with the native americans).

But if they were just some random average person from Mexico who looked white enough, the court might rule it miscegenation.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Van Dis posted:

Haha, really? Where?

Washington state is doing this in some cases. I think it's limited to red turn arrows, and the rider has to wait a couple of signal changes before being able to go when the straight lanes have the green.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

Washington state is doing this in some cases. I think it's limited to red turn arrows, and the rider has to wait a couple of signal changes before being able to go when the straight lanes have the green.

In Las Vegas, NV, it's legal for a bike to make an illegal left after 2 cycles, I believe. I've done it in front of a cop on the way to work (Didn't see him, or else I'd have probably waited just to be safe. The law is fairly new) and he didn't seem to blink despite being in perfect position to flash his lights and pull me over.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
How the hell do you Americans keep track of all the different driving laws when you drive interstate? Every time there is a driving question ITT it does my nut that there's some weird quirk in Nevada or Oregon or wherever.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We do it by being massively ignorant of basically all traffic laws and just doing whatever seems reasonable at the moment.

It sounds crazy, but it works.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Plus, the basics are the same everywhere, it's only niggling things or fringe cases where laws are different.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ineptmule posted:

How the hell do you Americans keep track of all the different driving laws when you drive interstate? Every time there is a driving question ITT it does my nut that there's some weird quirk in Nevada or Oregon or wherever.

You just see what other people are doing, and do that. I mean hell, Europe's more confusing because some of you drive on completely different sides on top of minor traffic rules differing between countries.

Also rules on long distance freeways/toll roads tend to remain completely consistent besides exact speed limits all across the country, adn where they aren't, you'll see reminder signs when crossing state lines and periodically on the road.

Green_Machine
Jun 28, 2008
I've noticed a really common watermark on images from many different sources online; it looks like two J characters rendered in a bitmap font, or like two rectangles with the top left corner missing. Does that watermark have a name? What's it's origin, and why is it so common?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ineptmule posted:

The obscure traffic law in question, namely that you can run a red light after two complete light cycles if your vehicle didn't trigger the light to change on its own, is traffic trivia not traffic law. First off, if I was behind you and waited two entire cycles, you'd either be deaf from the sound of my horn or I'd have run you over a cycle and a half ago. Second, there is not a cop, judge, nor jury in the land who would convict a motorist who'd come to a stop at a red light, waited for the light to change, nothing happened, they waited for a safe break in traffic and then made an otherwise legal procession through the intersection.

I believe this came up because someone said that bicycles don't trigger traffic lights, and that's why bicyclists run red lights. In the US, bicyclists are required to follow traffic laws (i.e. stopping at red lights), but almost universally don't - in fact generally blow through controlled intersections at almost full speed. The assertion, I believe, was that the reason bicyclists don't stop at red lights is because they don't trigger the light, so they are forced to run the light. Which may be true, but has nothing to do with why they roll through intersections without so much as slowing down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Green_Machine posted:

I've noticed a really common watermark on images from many different sources online; it looks like two J characters rendered in a bitmap font, or like two rectangles with the top left corner missing. Does that watermark have a name? What's it's origin, and why is it so common?

Is it from JJ.am? It is/was a fairly popular image hosting site, long before the days of imgur. Used mainly on 4chan, pics got ripped and rehosted elsewhere.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

photomikey posted:

There used to be a site where you could plug in your home airport and some generic dates, and it would tell you where and when airfare deals were for those dates. I can't find that now. Anyone remember this, and can find it?

Any of these?

http://www.kayak.com/explore/

https://skiplagged.com/

Also on google flights, if you click the calendar when setting a date it will give you a bar graph of the cheapest flights a month before and after the requested date

https://www.google.com/flights

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 18, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

A flat Earth thread broke my brain. Why is it that a hot air baloon can't hover and thereby travel one time zone in an hour?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Inertia. The balloon and all the air its traveling through is already rotating with the earth.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Say that the atmosphere was static and the earth revolved inside it, you'd have a constant wind going at the equator of around a thousand miles per hour or something. Clearly that is not the case.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

But there's less inertia in air than solid matter right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Baron Porkface posted:

Assuming there's no wind, the air surrounding the balloon is moving at the same speed as the ground (i.e. zero relative to you, since you started stationary on the ground) and therefore applying no force to the balloon. Without force, a reference frame remains static, so the balloon stays where it is relative to the ground.

(technically there are forces active in the reference frame, but since those are a) gravity and b) the buoyancy of the balloon, and those two act against each other, it's easier to say there's no forces in the system)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

That's why you have the Coriolis effect. It makes hurricanes and other weather patterns spin the way they do, opposite on each side of the equator.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

To clarify if a balloon is hovering is it "at rest" or "in motion"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Baron Porkface posted:

To clarify if a balloon is hovering is it "at rest" or "in motion"

In reference to what?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Newtons laws

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
No, I mean in reference to the ground, the air, the moon, what? It could be said to be either at rest or moving depending on the frame of reference.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The same reason why if you're inside a moving train and jump you don't fly to the back of the train. When you step on the train it's going 0 mph, as it builds up speed, it pushes you along and moves your velocity up to the same as the train. When you jump, you continue go the same speed as the train horizontally. Same thing with the earth & a balloon. When it's on the ground the earth is spinning @ 1000 mph and pushing the balloon with it. When the balloon launches, it's still going 1000 mph but the ground under it is going the same speed

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

hooah posted:

No, I mean in reference to the ground, the air, the moon, what? It could be said to be either at rest or moving depending on the frame of reference.

I don't understand. How can something be both at rest and in motion?

quote:

The same reason why if you're inside a moving train and jump you don't fly to the back of the train. When you step on the train it's going 0 mph, as it builds up speed, it pushes you along and moves your velocity up to the same as the train. When you jump, you continue go the same speed as the train horizontally. Same thing with the earth & a balloon. When it's on the ground the earth is spinning @ 1000 mph and pushing the balloon with it. When the balloon launches, it's still going 1000 mph but the ground under it is going the same speed

Why aren't my organs rupturing from all this kinetic energy?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Basically because there is no such thing as absolute position in the entire universe. Everything is positioned or moving relative to SOMETHING. Humanity's usual reference point is the earth or ground, but say you're on a moving train; you're at rest with reference to the train, but in motion with reference to the ground.

Baron Porkface posted:

This is one of those things where I know the answer but I can't put it into words and it's making me feel like a dumbass :saddowns:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Porkface posted:

You're sitting right now aren't you? Well the earth is spinning at incredible speed and going around the sun even faster and the solar system as a whole is orbiting the milky way even faster than that. And since you're at rest on the earth, you'r ein incredible motion along with it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're sitting right now aren't you? Well the earth is spinning at incredible speed and going around the sun even faster and the solar system as a whole is orbiting the milky way even faster than that. And since you're at rest on the earth, you'r ein incredible motion along with it.

And hell the milky way is moving at absurd speed around the center of the universe, while you're at it. :v:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Relativity. So, a fly's top speed is like 5 miles per hour. But if he is in your car and you're going 80 miles per hour, he doesn't have to go 80 miles per hour to stand still - he just has to fly up and stand still, and because your car (and the air inside it) is flying at 80 miles per hour also, he can go 0 miles per hour and not fly backwards through the back window.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Force is what hurts your organs, not energy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Because newton's laws require you to have an inertial reference frame. That is why the balloon is both moving and not, because you can pick any drat other object you please to be moving at 0 m/s, and your balloon will have some velocity relative to it. That velocity can be 0.

E: that fly example is worded very poorly and does not illustrate the principle you're trying to explain. The fly is moving at 0 mph relative to the car and 80 mph relative to the earth at the same time. You mean to say he does not need to provide any acceleration, and therefore force, to continue moving at whatever velocity the car is moving.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 19, 2015

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Baron Porkface posted:

"In motion" and "at rest" describe the relationship between two things; they're not properties that things can have on their own. And, like they say, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at end. You have potential kinetic energy; kinetic energy can only be measured relative to something else, and it doesn't really matter until you bash into something and are forced to change speeds very quickly. When you fall off a building, the real problem is that when you hit the ground, the bottom of you stops falling much more quickly than the top of you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since bagless vacuums have been around at least a decade by now, has anyone come up with a less messy way to empty them then taking them outside? That's fine for summer, but sucks in the winter.

A second question: Is there a name for the lyric construction in e.g. the Miss Susie song ("Miss Susie had a steamboat; the steamboat had a bell./The steamboat went to heaven, Miss Susie went to/Hello operator...")?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I know that mixing bleach and ammonia based cleaning products is an awful idea, but what about cleaning out a cat's litter box with a bleach-based product? I'm pretty sure cat urine involves ammonia, but I've never heard of any kind of warning like that before. Is it not concentrated enough to be a problem or something or is it still a really bad idea?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Organza Quiz posted:

I know that mixing bleach and ammonia based cleaning products is an awful idea, but what about cleaning out a cat's litter box with a bleach-based product? I'm pretty sure cat urine involves ammonia, but I've never heard of any kind of warning like that before. Is it not concentrated enough to be a problem or something or is it still a really bad idea?

You could always wash it out with hot soap and water first. It's plastic, right?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Since bagless vacuums have been around at least a decade by now, has anyone come up with a less messy way to empty them then taking them outside? That's fine for summer, but sucks in the winter.

A second question: Is there a name for the lyric construction in e.g. the Miss Susie song ("Miss Susie had a steamboat; the steamboat had a bell./The steamboat went to heaven, Miss Susie went to/Hello operator...")?
Does this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Susie#Structure

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Yeah, that got me to enjambment, which describes what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

hooah posted:

Well you could either empty it into the bin inside, or into a bag. But them you might as well skip that step and have the bag in the machine for convenience and to make it less likely to spill the contents. Now it's a bagged vacuum.