Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'd figure a games mod of all people would understand something mildly amusing ruined by loud, obsessive creeps. :v:

Well Zooloo is the OP so at least one of us gets it I guess. V:v:V

Kingdom Hearts is a good example of a somewhat amusing game ruined by obsessive creepos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to read one Homestuck fan comic, partly because the idea of such a thing is so baffeling to me, a fan comic of a webcomic, and chose one based on its art looking pretty nice.

Homestuck Nightfall.

...it was not that good. Waaaaaaay too Anime. I have never again attempted such a feat.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Problem Sleuth was hilarious if you liked those old lucasarts puzzle bullshit games. Homestuck is so far up its own rear end right now that I'm starting to retroactively hate it.

No man, you don't get to do this. It's like going "no dude, I am cool now, I hated it all along see?"

Louisgod posted:

Zorak, too.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Louisgod posted:

Kingdom Hearts is a good example of a somewhat amusing game ruined by obsessive creepos.

They also have basically the same primary protagonists who believe in the power of friendship, there's probably a lot of overlap.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The writing in this is loving awful.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

They also have basically the same primary protagonists who believe in the power of friendship, there's probably a lot of overlap.

and both have the most confusing and dumb plots!

You'd think making a story about Disney characters fighting bad guys would be simple.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

and both have the most confusing and dumb plots!

You'd think making a story about Disney characters fighting bad guys would be simple.

You'd think Wrong!

Orv
May 4, 2011

That's forty two loving pages long, who thought Final Disney was a good idea.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Orv posted:

apparently it is, games make mad bank somehow. why? gently caress man I don't know Donald is a Black Mage i guess

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

notZaar posted:

My bad let me try again: Gunnerkrieg Court

Dang there it goes again. I guess I didn't make a mistake after all.

It's actually gunnerkrigg court.

It is the best webcomic but Paranatural and Homestuck would probably make better video games.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Louisgod posted:

To get the full Homestuck experience all you need to do is read Humanimals. In-depth. You need to learn it; love it; LIVE IT.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Oh hey the thing I got my avatar from. I haven't read this thing for almost a year, after seeing some flashgame update with a npc at the end jsut to dump more exposition on you and realizing that i was skipping 90% of the words and decided to bump that up to 100% of it.

Does this have any actual conclusion happening or is it still Andrew Hussie shipping his 13 year old characters under the guise of "trolling"?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Orv posted:

The first game was actually fine story-wise*, the series problem is the dumb overly-complicated final fantasy part slowly devouring the Disney side until most of it is about the OC characters 95% of the time.

Basically Square Enix turned a simple story of a boy trying to find his friends and beat a bad guy into another incomprehensible final fantasy game.

*it's really too bad because I think the series really got better on the gameplay as the games went on.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

DrManiac posted:

The first game was actually fine story-wise*, the series problem is the dumb overly-complicated final fantasy part slowly devouring the Disney side until most of it is about the OC characters 95% of the time.

Basically Square Enix turned a simple story of a boy trying to find his friends and beat a bad guy into another incomprehensible final fantasy game.

*it's really too bad because I think the series really got better on the gameplay as the games went on.

Yeah like, I never finished the first because I just got so utterly bored of the gameplay towards the end. Kingdom Hearts 2, however, despite the story going duuuumb places, the combat was just so much more fun. Hittin' triangle every now and then really does wonders for making it feel more varied.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Tengames posted:

Oh hey the thing I got my avatar from. I haven't read this thing for almost a year, after seeing some flashgame update with a npc at the end jsut to dump more exposition on you and realizing that i was skipping 90% of the words and decided to bump that up to 100% of it.

Does this have any actual conclusion happening or is it still Andrew Hussie shipping his 13 year old characters under the guise of "trolling"?

The comic is currently on hiatus until Hussie gets Namco High out of the way and then finishes the last chapters of the comic, at which point he will post it all up at once (and most assuredly crash his server a bazillion times over)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

~words~

Really the worst criticisms you can give the comic itself is, I dunno, being long? It would benefit from a good editor? Maybe the art and the chatlog thingies aren't for everybody? Outside that it's actually harmless. But like every thing with a large fandom, the fandom itself is horrible.

For example I haven't really watched My little pony , but I like to believe that it's actually a harmless cartoon for little girls? I don't know how that managed to create the abomination that is its fandom. This is what happens when huge groups of people who define themselves by a single thing they like get together. Then, on the other side, you get people who try way too hard to look like they're on the good side saying things like "that pony cartoon thing" like c'mon, you don't have to pretend like you don't even know what it's called, we get it. Or "oh yeah I have this Homestuck avatar/custom title but really guys I totally hate it I swear". I'm almost sure that most people who claim to detest homestuck do so because of what they've read about the fans, but I wouldn't really blame them.

I think it's safe advice to just ignore annoying fans who like the same things you do, and just keep enjoying said thing. I like other things with horrible fandoms (like transformers) and I'd never go everywhere yelling HEY LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT LITTLE PLASTIC ROBOTS LETS GO BUY SOME *glomps* because it's just some thing I like, it's not my life or who I am.

~words~

Guys please read Cucumber Quest, it's actually pretty videogame-related and the art is gorgeous.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rasamune posted:

The comic is currently on hiatus until Hussie gets Namco High out of the way and then finishes the last chapters of the comic, at which point he will post it all up at once (and most assuredly crash his server a bazillion times over)

He crashed, what, three hosts? (including loving Newgrounds. All of it.) by posting one 15 minute Flash animation. When he dumps the whole conclusion at once along with who knows how much Flash work it'll be a week before the smoke clears. One man's quest to DDoS the entire World Wide Web by proxy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Thundarr posted:

He crashed, what, three hosts? (including loving Newgrounds. All of it.) by posting one 15 minute Flash animation. When he dumps the whole conclusion at once along with who knows how much Flash work it'll be a week before the smoke clears. One man's quest to DDoS the entire World Wide Web by proxy.

The haitus is actually just him trying to convince google to host the final page as a doodle on 4/13.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

For example I haven't really watched My little pony , but I like to believe that it's actually a harmless cartoon for little girls?

Yeah, it really is.

I can't hate MLP itself (and I can't hate Homestuck, I'm just kinda neutral on it,) but both have absolutely horrible fanbases you want to avoid interacting with as much as possible.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

I knew the author took reader suggestions but I didn't realize it was directly inspired by MSPA, that's neat.

Blackheart posted:

~words~

Guys please read Cucumber Quest, it's actually pretty videogame-related and the art is gorgeous.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Everything that's even slightly popular is going to have dumbass fans of it, and that alone shouldn't stop anyone from liking it.

Cucumber Quest is also great, it's far and away the best comic to be in any way related to video games.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Homestuck isnt extremely terrible, but sometimes I like to stop reading a comic for a few months then go through it all at once, and the sheer amount of words in each chatlog makes reading it an utter slog if you dont keep up daily.

Is the music still good? Did they ever loving release an album with Spider's Claw?

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922
I don't know much about homestucks or Troll fursonas or chatlogs or why the hell this is in Games in the first place but Problem Sleuth was pretty great.

Isn't this kind of thing exactly what we have BSS for?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Tengames posted:

Is the music still good? Did they ever loving release an album with Spider's Claw?

I think it is. Which one was Spider's Claw? What flash did it play in?

Edit: Yup This Vriska track is superior, though. :colbert:

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 13, 2013

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Sovietski posted:

I don't know much about homestucks or Troll fursonas or chatlogs or why the hell this is in Games in the first place but Problem Sleuth was pretty great.

Isn't this kind of thing exactly what we have BSS for?

This thread is BSS' Secret Santa gift to Games.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I only got into it a few months ago and I enjoyed it but man inbetween the good points is just so much rambling bullshit nonsense.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think it is. Which one was Spider's Claw? What flash did it play in?

Edit: Yup

it was the flash where you switched between playing all the trolls, i belive it was vriska's battle theme in it

and not the preview bonus, there was a extended version that was used in the flash.

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

Rasamune posted:

This thread is BSS' Secret Santa gift to Games.

Oh...

How nice of them...

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

voting third party posted:

I knew the author took reader suggestions but I didn't realize it was directly inspired by MSPA, that's neat.

It used to actually be on the MSPA forums, though it got rebooted when it went Webcomic instead so... different stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stoat posted:

I only got into it a few months ago and I enjoyed it but man inbetween the good points is just so much rambling bullshit nonsense.

The secret is to enjoy rambling bullshit. :ssh:

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tengames posted:

Homestuck isnt extremely terrible, but sometimes I like to stop reading a comic for a few months then go through it all at once, and the sheer amount of words in each chatlog makes reading it an utter slog if you dont keep up daily.

Serial reading is terrible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

MonsieurChoc posted:

The secret is to enjoy rambling bullshit. :ssh:

I like the kids rambling bullshit and really the kids rambling bullshit IS the comic.
I mean, basically if you go in expecting problem sleuth or jailbreak you WILL be disappointed. It starts like them and then meanders continually into other places like a drunk driver.

If you remove the dialog you get a trickle of loosely connected images and narration about time travel and the universe being a frog or something. The dialog is what gets us into the characters heads and how they interact and deal with the weird bullshit that is now their lives. Narration can only do so much. The human kids are incredibly endearing, and my favorite part was the "intermission" where the plot was halted and the kids were bullshitting around in two locations for three timeskipped years.
Even the trolls can be charming... there just should have been half as many and they should never have had text gimmicks.

Gamzee's the only one who did something interesting with his text gimmick when his character changed.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The first Intermission should instead be considered a prologue.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
We need a cool-rear end Felt pic right here.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The comic initially really lost me with the trolls, not because I liked them but because the pacing took a sudden halt to just go "hey, here's this new character. This is where this character lives and this is their quirky personality in action. Here's this character interacting with another character. OKAY, NEXT CHARACTER." We go through that 12 times, and we really didn't gain much from doing a massive flashback interlude over just, introducing the characters as the story progressed further with the kids and seeing the important stuff in flashbacks.

And then Act 5-2 was just a big, meandering, needlessly non-linear wasteland. Act 5-2 is HALF THE STORY and the major events are sprinkled between pages and pages of kids talking. And I mean, look, I like kids talking. It just got very pointless. Act 6 gets harped on a lot but at least, for the most part, things actually happened in it and the plot was moving somewhere.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm cool with the kids rambling and the trolls. I struggled through Doc Scratch though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Stoat posted:

I'm cool with the kids rambling and the trolls. I struggled through Doc Scratch though.

Doc Scratch is easily the best Homestuck character because he's pretty much the only one with the decency to stay dead. Like, literally everybody else is alive and kicking or dead and kicking. But Doc Scratch, he gets introduced, he fucks poo poo up, he dies, the end. Some loving closure, it's all I'm asking for here!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man all of the Felt are just enormous dorks though. Murderous dorks, but still.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
A thread is a strange gift to give for the holidays. Hopefully BSS will enjoy discussing comic book games.

This comic is like Bleach: kinda alright starting out, drags a little as you get farther but stays fun, then just goes insane and jesus christ this is taking so long get on with it. If you could somehow fit it into a game no longer than 40 hours then maybe I'd give it another shot, otherwise I'm super sick of reading a million paragraphs of Juno's inner monologues.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am absolutely in love with Homestuck and I am not even slightly sorry. That thing has shown just how much you can do with this medium and if this was a fair world it would have changed the way people look at webcomics.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that the story is "up its own rear end". Could you elaborate on that, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Hussie is the Hideo Kojima of webcomics.

Needs an editor badly.