Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

RareAcumen posted:

I've said it in webcomic and Agents of Shield threads many times.

No piece of media has ever been improved by having to wait to see more of it. Imagine watching ten minutes of a movie every weekend. Or reading a half a page of a book every six weeks.

Objection! Newspaper Spider-Man wouldn't be nearly as funny if it came out all at once. Gotta pace that loving mockery!

Otherwise yeah, this is completely right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Outro: The Total Biscuit Ballad

Oh for the love of christ woolie

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Pretty classy way of nodding his head without pissing off anyone reasonable.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

loving christ.

That's a month of labor in a lovely job for a fully automated android you can stick into virtually any job. No sick days, no chance of the robot being a horrible sub-human being that falls asleep in the restroom and manages to crack the toilet with his head. What the gently caress is the cost of living, then? If automation is this advance and piss-cheap then technology in general should be hyper affordable. I can see explanations for that boiling down to Capitalism Is lovely, but i'm gonna wait and see Cage explain this in his own dumb way.
David Cage does a lot of loving stupid poo poo in his writing but completely innocent, untouched-by-life's-troubles blindness to class/economic realities is silently present in all of it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean

Innocent isn't the descriptor, really

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wallrod posted:

David Cage does a lot of loving stupid poo poo in his writing but completely innocent, untouched-by-life's-troubles blindness to class/economic realities is a silent core to all of it

The "absurdly large living space" square on the bingo card basically covers this in an extremely succinct manner.

Like look at Madison's loft in Heavy Rain. That's the kind of place David Cage thinks a journalist can afford. The man clearly is rich enough that he has no concept of what money is anymore.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Rodyle posted:

I mean

Innocent isn't the descriptor, really
I'm open to other suggestions but everything this man makes tells me he has no possible contact with or understanding of how 'normal' people live

edit: or speak, or feel, or act, or think, or...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wallrod posted:

I'm open to other suggestions but everything this man makes tells me he has no possible contact with or understanding of how 'normal' people live

edit: or speak, or feel, or act, or think, or...

Maybe call the (alleged) sexual harasser Ignorant instead of innocent.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We all know he has Ellen Page's digital ghost sitting in a folder somewhere.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie going off on one of his pseudoscience rants in this Nier episode

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

loving christ.

That's a month of labor in a lovely job for a fully automated android you can stick into virtually any job. No sick days, no chance of the robot being a horrible sub-human being that falls asleep in the restroom and manages to crack the toilet with his head. What the gently caress is the cost of living, then? If automation is this advance and piss-cheap then technology in general should be hyper affordable. I can see explanations for that boiling down to Capitalism Is lovely, but i'm gonna wait and see Cage explain this in his own dumb way.

I suppose the idea is to suggest androids are affordable by anyone middle-class (and even not very middle class like the sleezeball guy) and to help explain the "40% unemployment" factor. (Sleeze ball did have a very nice looking TV as well. ) Maybe the company selling the androids designs/sells them in such a way they have consumer and business models? While the androids are capable of doing virtually anything, a consumer model will have lockouts from doing certain things that would be in the realm of other lines of androids? Sort of like operating systems or other software that has home/business versions. :v:

Doesn't matter if tech/cost of living is cheap if there's not enough work to go around, and no planning/social safety net to compensate. (Which seems to be a very real problem we may face as automation advances) Granted, I think Cage is seriously trying to explore the dangers of unfettered automation so much as he just needs a reason for people to hate ze androids.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
apparently you can find evidence in the guy's house that makes it clear he's pretty much living off credit cards, which i guess isn't too hard to swallow

that house is still a palace though

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

We saw as much in the episode IIRC. I think it was supposed to be super obvious he took out some cards to pay for the repairs or whatever.

I'm not sure I'd call the house a palace - at least it doesn't feel as implausible as some of the other Cage living situations, the guy probably used to share it with his wife, and it feels like you're supposed to get the vibe its maybe not in the best part of town? (Wasn't land in Detroit pretty cheap in the past few years?) It strikes me as very a "middle class sitcom family" with a layer of grunge. Or the kind of thing you'd see in CSI crime drama - but it's definitely a very 80s/90s thing.

Where I guess the problem comes in is the idea that this is set in the future.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The dude is a drug dealer, which is why he has poo poo credit but can scrape together enough cash for an android and a lovely but huge house.

You can hear him making a drug deal on the phone while you're cleaning up. I think the implication is that he had a nice white collar job before the android unemployment hit, now drug dealing is how he gets by.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Androids are cars. There you go.

Also I didn't get why Woolie had a thing for Accord until I remembered she is a white chick with fake short hair.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Boy Paige follows some awful, awful people

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WampaLord posted:

The dude is a drug dealer, which is why he has poo poo credit but can scrape together enough cash for an android and a lovely but huge house.

You can hear him making a drug deal on the phone while you're cleaning up. I think the implication is that he had a nice white collar job before the android unemployment hit, now drug dealing is how he gets by.

hes a drug user dude. hes not a dealer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

hes a drug user dude. hes not a dealer

He can be both.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He absolutely can be both

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

By the way, episode 2 of Detroit is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdJMFpAZcs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

"It's president duma" lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please let more God of War be tonight if this is the early LP

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Burkion posted:

Please let more God of War be tonight if this is the early LP

We're never getting to the Chaos Blades. God of War is the Berserk of Let's Pays.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

We're never getting to the Chaos Blades. God of War is the Berserk of Let's Pays.

I loving need them to get there

I need their reactions to it

Pat for the love of gently caress come on

You have a sick son to take to a witch and a hype rear end mission to go on

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Burkion posted:

I loving need them to get there

I need their reactions to it

Pat for the love of gently caress come on

You have a sick son to take to a witch and a hype rear end mission to go on

But side quests though!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Imma just watch Liam beat this game and then come back to Pat's Eternal Sidequest, I think.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Barent posted:

you should dig around for her meltdown a couple months back where she got tired of being called on it

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
No don't.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

WampaLord posted:

The "absurdly large living space" square on the bingo card basically covers this in an extremely succinct manner.

Like look at Madison's loft in Heavy Rain. That's the kind of place David Cage thinks a journalist can afford. The man clearly is rich enough that he has no concept of what money is anymore.

I always assumed the giant apartment thing is him copying TV/movies, which use implausibly large apartments because filming just takes a lot of space. His total ignorance of The Struggle is what keeps him from realizing the artifice at play, however.

Barent posted:

Rolling with Dick Masterson's crew will do that. Everyone has things they like in spite of something problematic though, and the people harassing her on social media about that aren't helping and should not do that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
GOD OF WAR

GET IN

GET ALL THE WAY IN

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I liked Woolie's reaction to the Little Devil plot in TMS. :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Never put Woolie to pilot an rpg ever again if you want progress at a pace faster than a snail.

The Nier LP is 4 parts in and they haven't even touched the desert yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo this is what I wanted

That episode is what I wanted

I can't wait for the next for specific reasons

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Having watched a full playthrough of Detroit already I have a doubt, is Connor already deviant at the start of the story or does he eventually turn into one? It feels like the coin flip thing is suggesting that he is already a deviant

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

Having watched a full playthrough of Detroit already I have a doubt, is Connor already deviant at the start of the story or does he eventually turn into one? It feels like the coin flip thing is suggesting that he is already a deviant

Definitely not, there are small notes in the upper right that say 'software instability increased' or something when things some things happen that point that he's heading that way but there's a scene that explicitly shows when deviancy takes over, for each of the androids

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe call the (alleged) sexual harasser Ignorant instead of innocent.
I didn't mean 'innocent' like 'not a criminal', but like 'naive'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

Never put Woolie to pilot an rpg ever again if you want progress at a pace faster than a snail.

The Nier LP is 4 parts in and they haven't even touched the desert yet.

Also he's just plain not paying attention. Considering how hard he came into it wanting to know about Accord, a shopkeeper blatantly mentioning her by name got nothing because he wasn't reading it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie's one of those people that can't talk to someone without looking directly at their eyes. Which is a problem when you're piloting a relatively heavy text RPG.

KOTOR has a lot of parts where the scene's stuck on one sentence and he just read it after 2 minutes, because he was still talking to Pat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Now I know this is meant to be the super hypest most dramatic part of the game, but I keep giggling at sad stoic Kratos sitting in a pretty flower boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Now I know this is meant to be the super hypest most dramatic part of the game, but I keep giggling at sad stoic Kratos sitting in a pretty flower boat.

That's part of the ENTIRE BEAUTY of it