Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MarcusSA posted:

A few pages back someone linked a tool bar changer that added an esc key and some other handy bits. It definitely has helped me use the Touch Bar more.
You can do that in system preferences. But using a touchbar for a key still is horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just bought the laptop with the physical top row upgrade.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

Some OEMs like Dell do it. Many workstation boards have connectors for SATA and some even Molex. I imagine that PCBs with a power plane capable of handling 1kW are a bit more expensive than your average Z370/X570 board.

Yeah but enthusiast consumer boards are already super expensive it's not like something like that would be a cost issue.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Fallom posted:

I just bought the laptop with the physical top row upgrade.

Lol I want to see that BTO option $99 upgrade to physical keys.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Xabi posted:

Oh man, this MacBook Pro keyboard is really something else. I hope I will get used to it, but it doesn't feel all that nice just yet. A potentially bigger problem is not having an Esc key. I never realised how much I used that until it disappeared. The Touch Bar feels like a big, fat gimmick thus far.

By the way, the trackpad feels a lot more "squishy" (for lack of a better word) than the one on my former 2013. Is it supposed to be different like that? I have only seen people talk about the keyboard, and everybody seems to love the trackpad.

I love the smell of a new computer though.

That's all for now.

I'm with you in that I do not like the fakey-click force touch trackpad. It feels "boingy" and flimsy, and it fails to register a click frequently enough that it really breaks the immersion when I squish my finger down on it and meet nothing but unyielding metal.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol I want to see that BTO option $99 upgrade to physical keys.

I’ll pay it if it’s available on top end models. Just in case Apple is lurking. Go for it guys, it would be less abrasive than dongles.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

FCKGW posted:

edit: Pretty sure you just skimmed the picture in the article and don't know anything about the new Mac Pro.

this is pretty accurate, I remember hearing the price and haven't taken it very seriously since

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dr. Despair posted:

this is pretty accurate, I remember hearing the price and haven't taken it very seriously since

It should actually be worth the money to some truly pro users, it’s just that vanishingly few people need that much computer.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm also a little biased because in the past 10 years of academia I've seen the people who use that sort of computing power largely give up on high end macs and just move to dells and think pads (or at most they use their macbook pro as a dedicated ssh terminal into an actual computing cluster, which might have done even more to kill off high end desktops in the office).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The future of laptops will just be a GUI remote access point to servers, VMs and desktop/workstations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Despair posted:

I'm also a little biased because in the past 10 years of academia I've seen the people who use that sort of computing power largely give up on high end macs and just move to dells and think pads (or at most they use their macbook pro as a dedicated ssh terminal into an actual computing cluster, which might have done even more to kill off high end desktops in the office).

From an imaging/microscopy standpoint people would totally be using Mac workstations if companies like Zeiss wrote software for them. A lot of the highest-end/really massive/bespoke imaging stuff is moving to cluster/cloud so I guess that’s kinda moot there but even basic image file conversions/edits or pulls in ZEN require you to have a dedicated PC workstation on hand.

My previous lab had a 12 core HP Xeon rig from like 2013 with maxed out RAM in the office just for taking 20gb AxioScan images off the server and turning them into PNGs which we’d then mess with using FIJI/ImageJ on our various Macs.

But I still remember a decade ago when a lot of scopes were hooked up to cheesegrater Mac Pros.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Apple only cares about the hip beautiful content creators. Not a bunch of neck beards in academia and engineering.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Despair posted:

Yeah, this is kind of what I love though. In the past a lot of my work has happened in Linux and other Unix-based high power things. Working with that poo poo in windows has always been kind of a weird nightmare for me and it just plays nicely with Macs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Electric Bugaloo posted:

From an imaging/microscopy standpoint people would totally be using Mac workstations if companies like Zeiss wrote software for them. A lot of the highest-end/really massive/bespoke imaging stuff is moving to cluster/cloud so I guess that’s kinda moot there but even basic image file conversions/edits or pulls in ZEN require you to have a dedicated PC workstation on hand.

My previous lab had a 12 core HP Xeon rig from like 2013 with maxed out RAM in the office just for taking 20gb AxioScan images off the server and turning them into PNGs which we’d then mess with using FIJI/ImageJ on our various Macs.

But I still remember a decade ago when a lot of scopes were hooked up to cheesegrater Mac Pros.

This is my experience as well. Last month I helped a lab manager dispose of some computers. She had a storage closet with 5 early Intel Mac Pros. Working in academia is fun for that reason. Our IT desk support team has cobbled together a virtual Mac museum with all the old poo poo people get rid of.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
iMacs are still the best lab computers tho, and have been since the Intel transition. Easy to clean around, uncluttered, at least powerful enough for most things (and nowadays you can go with 8 cores, or ssh into a cluster rendering the issue kinda moot)

The teaching labs at my undergrad school had them all bootcamped with Windows 7 (this was a decade ago) and they were set up to do anything and work with any piece of equipment. It was great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Friendly reminder that you can adjust the “clickiness” of the trackpad in the System Preferences.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Electric Bugaloo posted:

iMacs are still the best lab computers tho, and have been since the Intel transition. Easy to clean around, uncluttered, at least powerful enough for most things (and nowadays you can go with 8 cores, or ssh into a cluster rendering the issue kinda moot)

The teaching labs at my undergrad school had them all bootcamped with Windows 7 (this was a decade ago) and they were set up to do anything and work with any piece of equipment. It was great.

They would be super duper good if they were actually serviceable and had a proper vesa mount. For studio/lab use.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

They really are fantastic, we've used them in the lab I work in for years and years and they last forever + great for not taking up a bunch of space. We're finally decommissioning some late 2013 SSD models that have been humming along without a problem since we bought them, with only minor RAM upgrades.

We even had some 2008-2010 models that we put SSDs into until about 2016 or so

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Still want a modern take on the lampshade imac. Those were the best for swiveling around to show things.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anyone seen anything about the 5700XT? barefeats has (useless) benchmarks but that's the first I've heard of it being supported!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Still want a modern take on the lampshade imac. Those were the best for swiveling around to show things.

That’s what the XDR stand is. I’m not trolling.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

They would be super duper good if they were actually serviceable and had a proper vesa mount. For studio/lab use.

You can order iMacs with a vesa mount bracket instead of a stand FYI

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well why not posted:

That’s what the XDR stand is. I’m not trolling.

I guess we can put the cheese grater on its side and attach the stand to it....

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

You can order iMacs with a vesa mount bracket instead of a stand FYI

It’s the same one you can install yourself right? It’s not like they have 2 different chassis?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s the same one you can install yourself right? It’s not like they have 2 different chassis?

I believe so. I think the only iMac that you currently must order with a vesa mount if you want it is the Pro.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

I still love the fact the official way to carry it is to grab the iMac by the neck. Don't mind me, just choking my computer.

That design didn't last long enough. It should have had at least one Intel version so it'd be at least superficially useful today.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everything about that design was beautifully elegant except for the optical drive door/tray, which was super ungainly and on a big weird hinge so it could blend into the hemispherical base it popped out of.

It was a design that would have been better suited to the post-optical-media era, but then by that time an even better design was just gluing everything to the back of the display.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Everything about that design was beautifully elegant except for the optical drive door/tray, which was super ungainly and on a big weird hinge so it could blend into the hemispherical base it popped out of.

It was a design that would have been better suited to the post-optical-media era, but then by that time an even better design was just gluing everything to the back of the display.

I remember reading a story about why they specifically went with a tray-loading drive instead of a slot loader for the lampshade but I’ve forgotten the explanation.

Still, I appreciate the way Apple leaned into it, connecting it to a face sticking its tongue out. Apple doesn’t do that kind of stuff anymore, but they also don’t have to.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

It looks like it's only the iMac Pro where you can buy and install the bracket after buying the computer. It looks like they last time they offered an aftermarket bracket kit for regular iMacs was the old thick-edge design. All the modern non-Pro iMacs must be ordered from Apple with a bracket if you want one.

I don't think they have a separate chassis, just a different assembly that gets screwed in instead of the foot, but it's likely that you can't access the screws to remove the foot and install the vesa bracket without disassembling the iMac all the way. Thanks to the glued-together design and the difficulty of disassembling/reassembling same without damaging anything, it's not surprising Apple isnt' selling a kit like they used to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Data Graham posted:

I think the older design is superior because you can easily adjust the height. You really don't save any desk space with the modern iMacs. I guess there could be engineering challenges with mounting a 27" display to a small base though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Someone probably has turned the trash can into some sort of lamp shade thing with a bolted on display.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Okay, lamp design, base a new mac mini with a rock on top (to hold it down you see)

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was all ready for this USB-C future. One cable to plug into your laptop for USB, display and power. It was going to be great. Then everyone put 2cm-long cables on the end of these loving multi-port adapters and its all garbage still.

Whats the most compatible and stable USB-C multi-port adapter that has a long enough cable that I can keep my shameful rats-nest out of sight? It would need to work with a 2017 15" MBP, various USB 2.0 devices and a WQHD screen via DisplayPort or HDMI.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Granite Octopus posted:

I was all ready for this USB-C future. One cable to plug into your laptop for USB, display and power. It was going to be great. Then everyone put 2cm-long cables on the end of these loving multi-port adapters and its all garbage still.

Whats the most compatible and stable USB-C multi-port adapter that has a long enough cable that I can keep my shameful rats-nest out of sight? It would need to work with a 2017 15" MBP, various USB 2.0 devices and a WQHD screen via DisplayPort or HDMI.

Get a CalDigit T3 hub instead. Worth every penny and if you don't like the length of the included T3 cable, just buy a longer one.

It's what I use and it definitely meets the "single cable plugged into rMBP". It's pricey as it's a Thunderbolt dock and not a USB C dock, but it meets all your needs.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Get a CalDigit T3 hub instead. Worth every penny and if you don't like the length of the included T3 cable, just buy a longer one.

It's what I use and it definitely meets the "single cable plugged into rMBP". It's pricey as it's a Thunderbolt dock and not a USB C dock, but it meets all your needs.

Endorsing this. It is a game changer. For a while it was cheaper from Apple than elsewhere.

Only issue I have is the built in Ethernet doesn’t seem to work with my 2019 MacBook Air, so I use a USB-C dongle instead. It’s what Tim would have wanted.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hey this is Mac hardware related, if anybody has a titanium powerbook G4 in their goon hoard and is willing to part with it, let me know. I've been looking for a laptop to run OS 9 and ebay sellers are annoying cagey over the actual functionality of the laptop they're asking $200 for.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

The CalDigit T3 is good, but at this point he should be looking for a hub that has the Titan Ridge JHL7440 chipset, which works with USB C-only laptops and supports dual 4K/60hz.

It's also worth noting that a 15" MBP can handle 20v5a (100w), so if you really want to take advantage of your 15" MBP's power, you should be looking for one with 100w output (or buy a third party 100w USB C charger for $50 or so).

Monoprice 36656 - $180 - 60w - limited to 2x 1080p@60Hz or 1x 4k@60Hz in USB-C mode

Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 - $280 - 135w - limited to 2x 1080p@60Hz or 1x 4k@30Hz in USB-C mode

Caldigit USBC Pro Dock-US07-SG - $200 - 85w - limited to 2x 1080p@60Hz or 1x 4k@30Hz in USB-C mode

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 7, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hey this is Mac hardware related, if anybody has a titanium powerbook G4 in their goon hoard and is willing to part with it, let me know. I've been looking for a laptop to run OS 9 and ebay sellers are annoying cagey over the actual functionality of the laptop they're asking $200 for.

I was hunting for a TiBook for the longest time until I settled on a G3 snow. Good luck, I’m still holding out hope that I find a working Ti at some point in my life :)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I was hunting for a TiBook for the longest time until I settled on a G3 snow. Good luck, I’m still holding out hope that I find a working Ti at some point in my life :)

Huh... Actually, a G3 Snow seems like it would be pretty acceptable. The late-model Ti Powerbooks have a better screen but not that much better. I'll have to see what's out there for a G3 Snow too. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Huh... Actually, a G3 Snow seems like it would be pretty acceptable. The late-model Ti Powerbooks have a better screen but not that much better. I'll have to see what's out there for a G3 Snow too. Thanks!

The Clamshells and the G3 Powerbooks are also great OS 9 machines and have a bit more character, imo. Plus, if you like tinkering with hardware, you can replace the screen in a Clamshell with a 1024x768. You'll have to basically solder up a bunch of small wires into a new display cable to do it, though.