Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

what the hell is that flying jump kick the guy does at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verviticus posted:

what the hell is that flying jump kick the guy does at the end

Part of the hadoken fist set from one of the DLCs.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't reached that point yet (going through the Shrine of Amana), but presumably they're all in Aldia's Keep now where they were first created. I don't think there was any reason for them being down in Sinner's Rise initially beyond the usual explanation that they were results of Aldia's experiments and then wandered off afterwards.

Aldia is implicated in the description of the undead citizens (in the collector's guide, says wikidot, don't know if that's exactly canon) as being responsible for their creation through his dark experiments, so apparently he was up to some poo poo in the Bastille at some point.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Is there anything worth getting in the Huntman's Copse in the SotFS version? I usually try to beeline straight to the boss cause I hate that area, just wondering if I would miss anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Daynab posted:

Is there anything worth getting in the Huntman's Copse in the SotFS version? I usually try to beeline straight to the boss cause I hate that area, just wondering if I would miss anything.

IIRC the soul spear hut has a dlc key.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lukavi posted:

I never really and truely got the idea of picking out an upgrade/enhancement path for my characters. Can someone give me the quick and dirty on what to use on what/bang for buck?

I have a stright Melee and a Mage and can't decide what kinds of things I should be putting Fire/Raw/Magic on. Is poison/bleed only worth while in PVP?

It depends on both the weapon and your stats. Infusing a weapon reduces its stat scaling, so if you have 40 strength and a weapon with S scaling you might be better off leaving it uninfused.

Elemental damage on weapons scales the same way it does with spells: magic uses int, lightning uses faith, fire uses the average of the two, and dark uses whichever's lowest. So if your build does a lot of damage with sorceries it will do a lot of damage with a magic weapon.

The other thing to consider is that weapon buff spells are stronger on weapons that already have that element. So if you can cast Crystal Magic Weapon on your mage it will make magic-infused weapons even better, and if your melee guy can get Flame Weapon it's probably worth it to infuse flame.

Poison isn't too useful in PvE because most bosses are immune and most regular enemies just die to the weapon before it poisons them, but poison arrows are great for killing dangerous things from far away if you don't have a lot of ranged damage. Mages can just aim their soul arrows with the binoculars to snipe, but your melee man would probably love poison arrows to deal with poo poo like the mages in Amana or the giant iron guys in Brume Tower.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alternately, you give your melee dude something like the Alonne Greatbow and just wreck the guys you're sniping instead of poisoning them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Daynab posted:

Huntsman's Copse has a Sublime Bone Dust in the hut with the Soul Spear. The Undead Lockaway Key is up where the lizard is, past Creighton. You can also summon Bashful Ray near the hut and Creighton near the shortcut in the skeleton cave as help.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Forgot to get Ricard's, so thanks to that discussion, the giant basilisk looks really awesome being bathed in green light from the goddamn butterflies.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

last time I played the mace was seemingly the best pve weapon due to strike damage.
is strike damage still crazy compared to the rest ?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Poison isn't too useful in PvE because most bosses are immune

Untrue. All but 7 bosses can be poisoned, including the DLC bosses.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Poison is literally the only way I ever managed to kill Licia, although I doubt anybody thinks she's exactly good encounter design.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Poison is literally the only way I ever managed to kill Licia, although I doubt anybody thinks she's exactly good encounter design.

Weakness: large stick.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Did they move any of the equipment around? Because having the Forossa Cover art armor in a place you'd probably find by accident if you had no prior knowledge was kind of wrong in my opinion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Did they move any of the equipment around? Because having the Forossa Cover art armor in a place you'd probably find by accident if you had no prior knowledge was kind of wrong in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of weapons moved around. Dragon Tooth is in Belfry Luna and Grand Lance is in front of the FoFG King Door, for example.

Orv
May 4, 2011
These new Manakins are really not fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, some stuff has been moved around but not that particular piece of armor.

On that note, has anyone checked what's in place of the Grand Lance in the Giant Memory?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
In regards to upgrading, if I want to infuse something is there any reason to make it +x before hand? Example, if I want to infuse Heide's Spear with lightning should I upgrade the spear to the highest + number I can (whether that is +5 or +10) or should I infuse and then upgrade?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Doesn't make any difference. Do it whichever way you like.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
But would I be wasting my chunks if I upgrade to a number then infuse or does that number carry over?

e: thanks guys! Just didn't want to find out the hard way in case I was wrong.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

dongsweep posted:

But would I be wasting my chunks if I upgrade to a number then infuse or does that number carry over?

It carries over.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Anybody have any idea where you can find a ring of life protection now? I have the ashen mist heart, and I went to go kill the throne watcher and defender so i could buy some of their gear. I suicided so I wouldn't have to fight nashandra, but I lost a whole lot of souls that I'd like to avoid losing :saddowns:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Where did the dude that hates light go? I need those effigies :black101:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Reading Azran's list of changes on page 1153 makes it seem like they just threw new enemies around willy-nilly. Does the game FEEL better ? Also, were any bonfires moved around? Were any new shortcuts added? Everything I've read makes it seem like a mess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I was about to die to poison and the heal from having one of my message rated saved me. All of my messages are shitposts about skeletons.

thank mr skeltal :downs:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Burns posted:

Reading Azran's list of changes on page 1153 makes it seem like they just threw new enemies around willy-nilly. Does the game FEEL better ? Also, were any bonfires moved around? Were any new shortcuts added? Everything I've read makes it seem like a mess.

Literally every change I've seen so far (just beat the Song Demon) has been for the better. The only problem I have is that they didn't change much with the bosses. The only noticeable change I've seen with any of the bosses has been that the skeleton lords are more aggressive and I think summoned more skeletons?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Orv posted:

Weakness: large stick.

i burned a bunch of ascetics at the majula bonfire before fighting her (to get humanities) and broke a large club and a great club in the process of squishing her into the ground. she had like tens of thousands of health, lol

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

THE loving MOON posted:

Anybody have any idea where you can find a ring of life protection now? I have the ashen mist heart, and I went to go kill the throne watcher and defender so i could buy some of their gear. I suicided so I wouldn't have to fight nashandra, but I lost a whole lot of souls that I'd like to avoid losing :saddowns:

Why didn't you just use the feather / homeward bone?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Deaderinred posted:

so in sinners rise now... down in the depths where it's all flooded there is only a flexile sentry? makes sense i guess, story wise but now im wondering where the hell those huge big things have been moved to. :stare:

Just that and the splodey dudes.

It's really weird playing this without knowledge of the original way it played out, because everything that's changed feels like that's the way it's always been. I'm listening to the Bonfireside Chat guys going through each of the levels and while things generally line up, there's a lot of differences that make things just slightly off from the way I experienced things.

I guess it speaks to the way things were redesigned that it never feels like a game that's been remixed somehow--everything feels pretty natural so far.

Is it just me or is the run from the second Shrine of Amana bonfire INSANELY hard? It's the first part of the game where I've had to really switch up my equipment to try to cope with it, and I'm still dying because I can't find a good medium between physical and magic defense, and by the end I'm having to field two or three heavy-hitting cleric guys and a priestess throwing homing soul arrows at me. I've been here for a good two hours.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Why didn't you just use the feather / homeward bone?

:stare:

This never occurred to me, I just assumed you couldn't do it. Thanks :)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Djeser posted:

Is it just me or is the run from the second Shrine of Amana bonfire INSANELY hard? It's the first part of the game where I've had to really switch up my equipment to try to cope with it, and I'm still dying because I can't find a good medium between physical and magic defense, and by the end I'm having to field two or three heavy-hitting cleric guys and a priestess throwing homing soul arrows at me. I've been here for a good two hours.

try poison arrows, gavlan sells them

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

repiv posted:

I was about to die to poison and the heal from having one of my message rated saved me. All of my messages are shitposts about skeletons.

thank mr skeltal :downs:

my favorite skeleton shitposts I've made is friend , skeleton? in Huntsman's Copse where you find the NPC sitting in between two skeletons, and overwhelming , skeleton! also in Huntsmans Copse I think where you come face to face with the giant skeleton in the coffin.

thank mr skeltal :buddy:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Djeser posted:

I still remember when this thread would break down into arguments at between the "Get Good" guys and everyone else at the mere mention of Amana.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Personally I like the changes. They give the levels a fresh feeling.

The only downside now is that the bosses feel like the easiest part of the game, since they've barely changed. The levels have new and interesting things in them, which end up killing you, and the bosses are the same old thing we are used to.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
I just experienced my favorite invasion. I was running around McDuff's when I got notice of an invasion so I went running up the hill (which I already cleared because for some reason I came in from that tower bonfire). As I am running up I see the red phantom and immediately go up the wall and then up the ladder to be on the second story of that tower between McDuff's and the 4th bonfire. Well, while I was climbing I guess the red phantom missed me and went sprinting down to the blacksmith. It took a few minutes but she started running back up, in the interim I equipped a bow with fire arrows and as she got close and was running up the second set of steps I launched a fire arrow and hit a triple barrel of gunpowder which took away about 90% of her health and flew her almost off the edge (I really wish it would have taken her off). I hopped off and stabbed her once to win :darksouls:

\/\/ I didn't see him in the house either, I found him in a different house a little later on in the Wharf.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 7, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ethanol posted:

try poison arrows, gavlan sells them

Where is Gavlan now? He wasn't in the house in No mans wharf, he wasn't in the area in the poison pit in Earthen Peak and he wasn't at his hangout in the Doors of Pharros place.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Burns posted:

yes it does feel better. much better. the enemies are not thrown around willy-nilly they all make story sense.

it is not a mess at all.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Leper Residue posted:

Where is Gavlan now? He wasn't in the house in No mans wharf, he wasn't in the area in the poison pit in Earthen Peak and he wasn't at his hangout in the Doors of Pharros place.

hes at the place where you used to able to summon lucatiel in no man's wharf, he wont show up at other locations if you dont speek to him there

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
As soon as I got to the lady who sells Caestus I killed the hippo chump for the stone ring and then ate the red eye orb from the tutorial. Level one pvp: funny, but kind of disappointing. The guy didn't even react to me invading... or to me punching him in the face. Also I killed him in like 2 shots. Caestus powerstance is pretty good at level 1, it turns out. Now I just have to sit around and wait for my friend to get unpoor enough to buy a Name-Engraved ring so I can start the jolly co-operation without having too much soul memory.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Untrue. All but 7 bosses can be poisoned, including the DLC bosses.

My bad. I only ever tried using toxic mist on Smelty before I decided that bosses must be immune to poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Well obviously he's made of iron.

Except you can poison Ruin Sentinels (at least, the ones that show up in Drangleic Castle) and they're just suits of armor. Oh well. I wanna try farming those guys for that goofy ruin sentinel armor.

Speaking of, I also took a nonstandard approach to that area just like I did with Amana (sniping everything). Except for me, it was just straight-out bolting as fast as I could through the level, ignoring the horde of enemies running after me. I got invaded, fought off the invader, hurled myself into the Dragonrider boss fight with only a bit of Estus left, and that bonfire beyond the boss fight was a huge relief. Then from there I backtracked through the level and gathered up the loot I'd missed. It's actually pretty easy doing it in reverse since a lot of the enemies have their destatue trigger placed earlier in the level. I was mostly fighting statues that came to life after I'd hit them, not before.