Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Cwapface posted:

Hmm, OK, thanks. I take it then that a good PCIE soundcard could easily still be affected by this interference?

Probably not, but an external box with volume control is more convenient and easier to install.

quote:

Also, is the Fiio E7 a good option; as in, will it give me an improvement over onboard sound?

Headphone thread would probably know better than me, considering I haven't ever used the headphones you have. I guess you could look at the impedance of your headphones and see how hard they are to drive: the harder they are to drive, the more the benefit from an amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Hob_Gadling posted:

Probably not, but an external box with volume control is more convenient and easier to install.

Headphone thread would probably know better than me, considering I haven't ever used the headphones you have. I guess you could look at the impedance of your headphones and see how hard they are to drive: the harder they are to drive, the more the benefit from an amp.
Okay. Thanks for your help :).

P.S. Death's a capricious thing, isn't it?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Maybe I just haven't seen it, but I'm looking for a PC-based music player with specific capabilities. I'd like to find one that allows the user to input metadata beyond artist, album, and song name; things like liner notes. I would then like to be able to search by this metadata. Anygoon out there have any idea of a program like that?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Maybe I just haven't seen it, but I'm looking for a PC-based music player with specific capabilities. I'd like to find one that allows the user to input metadata beyond artist, album, and song name; things like liner notes. I would then like to be able to search by this metadata. Anygoon out there have any idea of a program like that?

I'd try Winamp. You can use the Comment field in the file info for notes, then in the Media Library - Audio section you can customize the columns to include comments, publiser, producer stuff like that, which should make you able to also sort and search by those criteria.

Winamp is great, free and versatile, but not very user friendly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What would be recommended as a 2.1-channel system nowadays? My Creative Labs set is starting to crackle.

Odnet
Mar 17, 2005
Hollerate.
I am having an issue where there is bass when I pan everything to one speaker, but when I have input on both speakers at the same time, there is significantly less bass. Are the speakers too weak for the receiver or vice versa? Here is my setup (I am using both the high and low frequency inputs on the speakers and receiver):

Technics SB-HD505 Speakers
Info:
Impedance: High 6ohms, Low 6ohms
Input: High 30W (Music), 15W (DIN), Low 60W (Music), 30W (DIN)

Teac AG-58 Receiver
Info:
180W
Speaker Impedance: A and B: 16ohm min, A or B: 8ohm minimum (There are four speaker wire inputs for each speaker. You can use hi-fi speakers with four inputs with it or normal ones with just two, hence the "A or B". I am using speakers with four inputs so I am using the A and B option)

This is a setup that I just thrifted together and I'm completely ignorant of how this information relates to each other. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: It turns out I mixed up one of the speaker wire positive/negative connections. I'm still curious about if it's safe to use this equipment together, though. Could anyone provide some insight?

Odnet fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 20, 2011

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

hooah posted:

What would be recommended as a 2.1-channel system nowadays? My Creative Labs set is starting to crackle.
If you can disassemble the section containing the volume dial, spray some Deoxit on it. The crackling is probably caused by a dirty potentiometer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zorilla posted:

If you can disassemble the section containing the volume dial, spray some Deoxit on it. The crackling is probably caused by a dirty potentiometer.

What kind of stores would have Deoxit? I'm in Hawaii, so my local selection is often limited, and shipping takes forever/is expensive.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

hooah posted:

What kind of stores would have Deoxit? I'm in Hawaii, so my local selection is often limited, and shipping takes forever/is expensive.

Fry's has it, but you're in Hawaii, soooooooooooooo...

sl0wturtle
Jul 5, 2011
I think for the holidays I'm going to buy myself some speakers. I don't really know what to look for.

I really want some speakers for my computer (mac, if that matters), but hoping it could be an all in one type system.

What I mean is that it plugs into my TV & PS3, my computer, and hooks up to my ipod.

What do I need to know? What do you guys recommend?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

sl0wturtle posted:

I think for the holidays I'm going to buy myself some speakers. I don't really know what to look for.

I really want some speakers for my computer (mac, if that matters), but hoping it could be an all in one type system.

What I mean is that it plugs into my TV & PS3, my computer, and hooks up to my ipod.

What do I need to know? What do you guys recommend?

Budget is the main thing along with what all you want (2.0 vs 5.1 etc). You can go buy a 5.1 bundle for cheap or spend more on separate parts - receiver, speakers, sub, center, etc.

inhiding
Jan 6, 2005

oh snap
Ok, so I'm in the market for a new receiver and torn between two models:

Denon AVR-1912
Pioneer VSX-1021-k

(The Onkyo TX-NR609 is also a consideration)

About a year ago, I upgraded my fronts to two Energy RC-30 towers (thanks for the recommendation, Hob_Gadling!) and an RC-Mini center. No sub, and the two rear channels are just some crappy HTIB satellites. At least for the foreseeable future, I'll just be using my 360, HTPC, and cable box via HDMI. Most of the use will be in Stereo through Spotify on my HTPC followed by streaming HD content from the PC and then HDTV on my cable box.

Price differences aside (though the recent Pioneer sales are enticing), I'm leaning towards the Denon. Though its rated for 100W less output (by the manufacturer...), most reviews seem to indicate it has better sound quality, particularly at higher volumes. The Denon has "discrete" amps for each channel -- not sure whether that makes a difference. FWIW, I also plan on bi-amping my front towers (though I guess most people say it makes little difference in the end.) The Pioneer also "upconverts" video, but I watch almost exclusively HD content as it is.

Is it six of one, half-dozen of another, or will one suit me better? Are the differences negligible enough that I'm better off going with the Pioneer if I save $40-$60? Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

inhiding posted:

Price differences aside (though the recent Pioneer sales are enticing), I'm leaning towards the Denon. Though its rated for 100W less output (by the manufacturer...), most reviews seem to indicate it has better sound quality, particularly at higher volumes. The Denon has "discrete" amps for each channel -- not sure whether that makes a difference. FWIW, I also plan on bi-amping my front towers (though I guess most people say it makes little difference in the end.) The Pioneer also "upconverts" video, but I watch almost exclusively HD content as it is.

Don't worry too much about the lack of upconversion on the Denon. Your TV will upconvert SD content into HD, and probably do just as good a job of it as the receiver would.

And concerning power rating, they look very similar to me:

Pioneer: Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm) 90
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1021-K

Denon: "All Channels Rated @ 0.08 THD" "Power Output; Watts Per Channel 90"

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pag...12%28DenonNA%29

Looks like the exact same specs if you ask me, but as to how far you can trust either of those numbers, I don't know.

So it looks like a matter of your preference and what price you can get.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ItalicSquirrels posted:

MediaMonkey did great for me in the tagging and searching department. There are alternatives in this category, but I don't have experience with them.

I strongly disagree with the notion that Winamp is either great or versatile.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

inhiding posted:

Ok, so I'm in the market for a new receiver and torn between two models:

What's your budget? What features you definitely want on your receiver (AirPlay, network capabilities etc)?

Since music is a big deal and you have warm-sounding speakers, I'm suggesting you give Marantz SR5005 and especially SR6005 a try.

Do you intend to bi-wire or bi-amp your speakers? If you're really bi-amping go with separates right away or at the very least get a receiver you can use as pre-amp later on.

inhiding
Jan 6, 2005

oh snap

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's your budget? What features you definitely want on your receiver (AirPlay, network capabilities etc)?

Since music is a big deal and you have warm-sounding speakers, I'm suggesting you give Marantz SR5005 and especially SR6005 a try.

Do you intend to bi-wire or bi-amp your speakers? If you're really bi-amping go with separates right away or at the very least get a receiver you can use as pre-amp later on.

I'd like to stay under $400, which I've been able to find both of those for.

Bi-wire or bi-amp, whichever I can do. Don't want to go with separates at the moment.

An app to control the receiver is important as is network capabilities, AirPlay is nice but by no means a deal breaker. I don't really care about built-in apps.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

inhiding posted:

I'd like to stay under $400, which I've been able to find both of those for.

Marantz SR5005 is $399 and SR6005 is $479 at accessories4less.com but it doesn't have network capabilities. Too bad, I guess.

quote:

Bi-wire or bi-amp, whichever I can do.

They're a different thing. Bi-wiring is connecting two pairs of wires from the same amp to a speaker. Bi-amping is connecting two separate amps into the same speaker.

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011
I'm having a slight problem, well, more of a nuisance really, with my setup.
I have my PC (among other things) hooked up to a Denon AVR-1910, via an HDMI for video, and a TOSLINK for audio.

Now my problem is that, after powering the receiver down (at least, might happen if I leave it quiet for some time), If I send audio out through the TOSLINK, I get no sound, and I have to switch my pc to output audio via HDMI to "wake it up". Once I get a peep out of the receiver this way, changing back to the optical then works without a hitch. Why is this? Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Thanks in advance!

E:
And I fixed it.. For future reference, check the receiver, I had the audio signal input set to AUTO, and changing that to only look for Digital in solved the problem..

Narqulie fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 27, 2011

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
My dad has relatively old but nice Sony speakers from around 2002, and an ancient on-its-way-out receiver from about 1930. We don't even have an HDTV or anything fancy, so what does A/V recommend as a good sound quality but bare bones on extra features (like extra HDMI ports) receiver?

Lamdo
Jul 22, 2006
What's a good cheapie 2.1 system in a box (doesn't necessarily need a subwoofer) for my basement for when I am playing pool/darts/drinking with friends? It needs audio in, cd player, am/fm. I was looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER onkyo CS-445 anyone have any other ideas? Something even cheaper might work, i'm looking for something to fill a 20 by 20 area and the sound quality should be as good as I can get for cheap.

Also On my main system I have an NAD integrated, is there a pre-amp ya'll would recommend? How much would a preamp help with the NAD? I don't even really understand the importance and purpose of a pre-amp. My speakers are pretty good when i bought them av123 reference 1.5. I have no need for a woofer cuz i live in a condo. what could I upgrade to make my squeezebox, NAD, av123 ref.1.5 system better? thanks.

edit: im retarded, integrated is pre/power so yea... any other ideas on upgrades would be cool.

Lamdo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 28, 2011

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
My mother lives in a concrete apartment building that makes it really difficult to get a clear cell signal or radio station. Is there any type of radio technology that can work around this? Is Sirius good/bad for this type of situation?

I'd like to get her a radio she can use, but I don't know anything about this topic.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
If my music collection is stored in hard drives and controlled through my mac, am i better buying a good set of computer speakers and pre amp or should i still go for a receiver and speakers?

I also will want to be playing vinyl in the future.

Not sure what to do really.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

fronkpies posted:

If my music collection is stored in hard drives and controlled through my mac, am i better buying a good set of computer speakers and pre amp or should i still go for a receiver and speakers?

I also will want to be playing vinyl in the future.

Not sure what to do really.

What does a pre-amp get you? Just for the phono so you can use the computer speakers?

A receiver should let you run digital audio out of the computer and it will have a phono preamp built in. Computer speakers are generally not very good, but that is true of cheap speakers in general.

Do you plan on using this as a home theater or is this just for the computer/turntable? The receiver will be flexible if/when you decide you need to hook up an xbox or whatever.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

taqueso posted:

A receiver should let you run digital audio out of the computer and it will have a phono preamp built in. Computer speakers are generally not very good, but that is true of cheap speakers in general.

Modern-day receivers don't usually have phono preamps, except top of the line units. I say go for a vintage one, if you're not interested in surround sound. Yard sale, goodwill, whatever.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Modern-day receivers don't usually have phono preamps, except top of the line units. I say go for a vintage one, if you're not interested in surround sound. Yard sale, goodwill, whatever.

Not having a phono preamp on new receivers does make sense. I assumed they still had them because my newish receiver has one. A silver-faced pioneer receiver from the 70s would be pretty dope.

CorporatePunk
Sep 24, 2003
kick out the jams!
I'm looking for a small integrated amplifier to drive a set of bookshelf speakers in my living room. My speakers are Axiom M3Ti's. They are currently hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR503 home theater receiver, but I'd like to move that back to my TV room and replace it with something smaller. I believe what I'm looking for is an integrated amp, like the NAD C 326BEE. I don't really want to spend $400 if I can avoid it. I love the sound of the Onkyo, and I got it refurbished for something like $150 like 6 years ago. I'm hoping I can get something with similar or better sound quality?

Important: sound quality, classy looks, smaller, price (~$200?)
Nice-to-have: Runs cooler, optical input

CorporatePunk fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 2, 2011

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I have a quick question about Speaker degradation, or how long does a speaker keep sounding good?.

I'm currently using these Dali Lektor 2 speakers. They sound and work great, but my brother got himself new speakers for his house. He has given me his old Dali 606 floor-standing speakers[PDF].

There are two things I'm curious about :
They (Dali 606) are quite old today. If I'd throw a guess, I'd say possibly 13-15 years old. How long do speakers usually "sound good"?
Will my NAD C315 be able to handle them? (Continuous Power - 2 X 40 Watts, recommended for the Dali 606 is "30-150 Watts")

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Lamquin posted:

I have a quick question about Speaker degradation, or how long does a speaker keep sounding good?.

Depends on the speaker. Some never sound good, some sound good for decades (as in, speakers from the 70's are still in active use). If something sounds off you might need to replace parts but that's probably not the case here.

I know NAD is one of the manufacturers that are pretty fair in their watts, but 4 ohm speakers that get recommended 30-150W? I don't think you'll be able to get everything out of those speakers and it's possible you'll break them at high volumes. At least be careful and start with volume at the minimum. If you hear clipping turn volume down immediately before you damage the speakers.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
I'm looking to get some cheap speakers to use with my midrange 32'' LCD HDTV. Would it be worth it to get a 2.1 set of PC speakers (under $100)? If it's not a meaningful upgrade from whatever the built-in speakers are like (I'm assuming they're all quite similar in quality). If it makes a difference, I can post the model of the TV when I get home.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I want to get my technology-uncomfortable uncle one of those USB record turntables / software combos that lets you import your records to MP3s in something like iTunes. He's got a whole pile of records he never got CDs for.

Any recommendations? I know absolutely nothing about record player quality, and the easier the software, the better.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bobulus posted:

I want to get my technology-uncomfortable uncle one of those USB record turntables / software combos that lets you import your records to MP3s in something like iTunes. He's got a whole pile of records he never got CDs for.

Any recommendations? I know absolutely nothing about record player quality, and the easier the software, the better.

I'm gonna throw in my two cents here and say there's no magical silver bullet here. The quality of these turntables is crap. Their pre-amps, their A/D-convertors, crap. The software, crap. After processing the sound wil be dull and/or tinny.

Cleaning up the sound to even just an acceptable level requires more expensive hardware and software and hours of tedious manual work. And even then it's like trying to polish turd upon turd upon turd :suicide: Freshly pressed, pristine 45rpm 10" singles may produce ok results; old, slightly dusty 33rpm albums with ~20 minutes on each side will not. The nearer you get to the hole in the record, the grittier the sound, so the rotten quality isn't even constant.

Even with a fully automated solution, recording from vinyl, not unlike scanning photo albums, is a long winded, boring, unrewarding job, especially for a technophobe. I suspect it would be used once or twice for the novelty value, then determined not worth the time and effort.

In some countries (like the Netherlands) it's actually legal to go the :filez: route as long as you own an original copy of the record, but intellectual property right in the USA isn't that pragmatic or progressive. I'd rather recommend you find out which of these records are his favorites and spend the ~$120 you would have sunk into one of these turntables towards some cds, mp3s or an iTunes gift card.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.

Zratha posted:

My mother lives in a concrete apartment building that makes it really difficult to get a clear cell signal or radio station. Is there any type of radio technology that can work around this? Is Sirius good/bad for this type of situation?

I'd like to get her a radio she can use, but I don't know anything about this topic.

I bought one of Logitech's internet radios and couldn't be happier. Of course you need WiFi, but was pleasantly surprised to learn that every station I've tried to listen to has streaming available.

This is the model I picked up

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squeezebox-Radio-Player-Screen/dp/B002LARRDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323713348&sr=8-1

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Even with a fully automated solution, recording from vinyl, not unlike scanning photo albums, is a long winded, boring, unrewarding job, especially for a technophobe. I suspect it would be used once or twice for the novelty value, then determined not worth the time and effort.

Thanks for the advice.

He's probably not going to listen to this music on anything of high fidelity than an ipod, but, then again, my gift to him last year was a clusterfuck of technology mishaps, so I think I'll take your advice to heart and figure out something else.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I've asked this in numerous places, but can't seem to get an answer, and this is probably the most obscure place to ask, but...

Is there a decent SoundDock for an HTC Evo 4G?

:ohdear:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A quick look at the XDA forums (tech nerds more than audio nerds) says that the Evo doesn't support audio-out via the USB port, only the headphone jack or bluetooth. So the odds of an Evo-specific sound dock seems slim-to-none.

What, exactly, do you want to use it for?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yea, but what about the micro HDMI port?

It's sole use will be for the bathroom for my girlfriend. She always has music on while in the shower, and the whole long process of getting ready. She has a Zune dock, but no longer has a Zune, but has been using that with the headphone jack and it works. But it looks terrible, and it's starting to show it's age.

Any idea for a little, similiar setup for an Evo?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

How about a waterproof bluetooth speaker? You could hang it in the shower so she could hear it even better, and you could place the phone a long way away, so there's no chance of it getting wet.

Plus, bluetooth supports remote play/pause/FF/rewind, so she could skip from one track to the next.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

How about a waterproof bluetooth speaker?

They eat batterķes like crazy. It's fun for spending a little time in pool but for daily use... not so much.

Two suggestions: Spracht Aura BluNote or something from Creative (D80, D100, D200 etc.)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

They eat batterķes like crazy. It's fun for spending a little time in pool but for daily use... not so much.

Two suggestions: Spracht Aura BluNote or something from Creative (D80, D100, D200 etc.)

Wow, the BluNote looks very nice, but it's a bit overkill. What does the D100 offer that the D80 doesn't? Also, on Amazon it doesn't list either of them having an AC adapter, just batteries. Is this true? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

Wow, the BluNote looks very nice, but it's a bit overkill.

It's on sale right now.

quote:

What does the D100 offer that the D80 doesn't? Also, on Amazon it doesn't list either of them having an AC adapter, just batteries. Is this true? :(

D80 doesn't have batteries, it needs AC power. Otherwise they're pretty much the same. Both should come with regional AC cords in box. From Amazon.com:

quote:

What's in the Box?

Creative D80 speaker, regional AC cord(s), Quick Start guide, warranty/technical support leaflet.