Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Weissritter posted:

Thanks for the responses above!

Looking at the army lists online (the panzer list from Desperate Measures), it seems the point drop for german tanks going from CV to CT is quite drastic - though, is the drop in veterancy worth the additional tanks?

I would look at what kind of list or force you are trying to build, maybe do two mock lists to see how the points stack up vs. your force composition. If you build the same list CV and CT and you find there is only room for one tank, maybe the drop isn't worth it (unless it's a KT). If we're talking a squadron or two, adding in air support, perhaps. More bodies/tanks on the board is never a bad thing.

It's like, I was building a 1500 point force out of Blood, Guts & Glory. CV gets me two or three tank squadrons when trying to max the number of Easy Eights and M4A3s. CT lets me take three partial squadrons of mixed flavors, a full squadron of M36 Jacksons, and air support with air superiority. Getting four 90mm guns is arguably better than veteran status. But, not everyone likes to run tank destroyers.

Again, it's up to what and how you want to run things. It may even be helpful to play a game or two with both to get a feel for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone have any opinions about the Forged in Battle 15mm line? I backed a small KS for their ancient historicals, and after many requests they just offered a one time only discount sale of the WW2 minis to backers once they send out the KS survey.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I own a couple gun teams from them, they're in a similar "fatty" style to FoW.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about the Forged in Battle 15mm line? I backed a small KS for their ancient historicals, and after many requests they just offered a one time only discount sale of the WW2 minis to backers once they send out the KS survey.
The opinions I've seen tend to be that they're good, but they're also lacking in variety of poses within units.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Looking at the army lists online (the panzer list from Desperate Measures), it seems the point drop for german tanks going from CV to CT is quite drastic - though, is the drop in veterancy worth the additional tanks?

Depending on the list this can be because you lose a lot of special rules (like Stormtrooper) and all the tanks are Unreliable. Worth it to field 6 King Tigers though :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
WI this month also has a write-up on a Saga battle that takes place in a Great Hall, and the model for the hall is made by 4Ground and it's beautiful and I want it.

But it isn't out yet :(

E: http://www.grippingbeast.com/webpage.php?PageID=1037

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 28, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I've got a question for the Tamiya nerds.
Hopefully we have some here - I don't see any manufacturer specific threads and Tamiya makes plenty historicals.

Do you typically prime Tamiya products before painting them? From what I can tell it's not really necessary.

This may be a stupid question (it probably is) but I have little to no modelling experience other than 40k miniatures here and there.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There's a scale modelling thread in DIY & Hobbies: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869 Not saying you can't ask here, but you might have more luck there. Also hit up the minis painting thread here in TG.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Thanks, didn't see any of those. I'll cross post there too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

The opinions I've seen tend to be that they're good, but they're also lacking in variety of poses within units.

Does anyone here have any? The opinions I'm looking at range from "they have the best 15mm ww2 infantry full stop" to "it's ok but doesn't scale well with Battlefront stuff", and "the tanks are great" to "the tanks are good but too narrow, and they have integral lips of material at the bottom which makes them difficult to run with unbased other manufacturers without looking weird"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm actually doing one of their French platoons for this month's oath. I can't speak to the tanks but the figures are good. They are a little chunky like battlefront, but you want that from metal figures. I'll post some comparison shots later today so you can see for yourself.

I'd love to have gotten some at a big discount, but I didn't back the KS because I'd rather do ancients in 10mm. It's kind of irritating, really.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't get back to sleep, so here you go:

I tried to grab figures that had the same 'leaning and aiming' pose, but the BF guy is standing straight up and firing a carbine. I'd say they're comparable in terms of scale and quality, with the Essex figure slightly on the weedy side.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They look pretty good to me, thanks a bunch!

Yeah the historical stuff just looked interesting to me, I don't already have any ad I didn't really have a preference for a scale, so I backed it. Plus the Roman and Eastern village sets looked like they'd also make good terrain for FoW in Italy and north Africa respectively, and I like things I can get more than one kind of use from.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
This is probably way above my skill level, but does anyone know if it is possible/reasonable to model hessian tape at 1/100?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Either Green Stuff or watered PVA and tissue paper. There's a guide on Battlefront's site. Unrelated: how comically bad are Churchill lists? I'm looking at the Churchills in Italy and Overlord Churchill lists.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

This is probably way above my skill level, but does anyone know if it is possible/reasonable to model hessian tape at 1/100?

I'm doing that actually! It's not too hard, if a bit fiddly. I'm using this guide which is in Danish, unfortunately. Google translate is your friend. http://fow.dk/debat/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=5090&p=59525&hilit=Hessian#p59459

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I've been eyeing warlord's Bolt Action for quite some time and I'm feeling more and more drawn to its premise of squad level WW2 wargaming. I haven't found a thread specific for Bolt Action in TG, so I decided to ask this question here. Sorry if these are basic questions, but I used to play 40k and I really want to move up to Historicals - partly due to the fact that it's cheaper and because I'm just so tired of 40k.

Now, I haven't got the rulebooks yet so I don't know the actual point distribution spiel. But does it suffice to say that I can already play a game with just 20 miniatures?

Also: I've also been wanting to get into their line of Napoleonics and they are based 4 mini's on a square base. Is this normal?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Commissar Kip posted:

I've been eyeing warlord's Bolt Action for quite some time and I'm feeling more and more drawn to its premise of squad level WW2 wargaming. I haven't found a thread specific for Bolt Action in TG, so I decided to ask this question here. Sorry if these are basic questions, but I used to play 40k and I really want to move up to Historicals - partly due to the fact that it's cheaper and because I'm just so tired of 40k.

Now, I haven't got the rulebooks yet so I don't know the actual point distribution spiel. But does it suffice to say that I can already play a game with just 20 miniatures?

Also: I've also been wanting to get into their line of Napoleonics and they are based 4 mini's on a square base. Is this normal?

Yeah, pretty much 90% of non-skirmish historical games use multi-mini bases. Almost no historical pre-modern games use individual casualty removal, so it's easier (and looks far better) to have larger bases with several minis. So for Napoleonics, you might base all your regular cavalry and infantry on larger bases, and then just base skirmishing troops on individual bases.

I only base my samurai minis on individual bases to be able to use them in skirmish games as well, and to be able to play Warhammer with them against my Warhammer-playing clubmates. Otherwise I'd even do something like Impetus, where you base your entire unit on one large base. It simply looks awesome compared to individually based units.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are any of you guys planning to be at Cold Wars this weekend?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Commissar Kip posted:

This is the perfect thread for Bolt Action!

I have the main book and the Brit book, although I haven't played. Depending on which 20, I think that'd be fine. The starter 500 point armies Warlord sells are around that anyhow.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Weissritter posted:

Looking at the army lists online (the panzer list from Desperate Measures), it seems the point drop for German tanks going from CV to CT is quite drastic - though, is the drop in veterancy worth the additional tanks?

I've been experimenting a bit with the Desperate Measures trained Panzers and my preliminary conclusion is that it isn't, unless the tanks have FA9+.

Running Trained Panzer IV's or StuGs is great if you can totally dictate when and where your tanks engage your opponent's AT. You want to shoot and throw enough shots downrange that little to nothing is shooting back. If you can't do that then you will be left with a mess of burning wrecks.

This changes if your FA is high enough that you auto-bounce or bounce on a very low roll (3 or less) most of the AT running around there. So if you ware going to run Panthers then Trained isn't that big of deal. Panzer IV's then I would strongly suggest to stick with vets.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I've planned a trained panzerkampfgruppe with HQ Panthers, a platoon of Panthers and one of StugIIIs, a platoon of Tiger Ace Hetzers and for support some Luchs, panzergrenadiers and six 105s. 1750 on the nose, if I want a 1500 list I drop the Hetzers. Given that Desperate trained Panthers are still something like 430 for 3 this seems like the only list short of an Ausbildungs company where you can actually field Panthers in quantity without giving up something important (recon, infantry, smoke).

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Colonial Air Force posted:

This is the perfect thread for Bolt Action!

I have the main book and the Brit book, although I haven't played. Depending on which 20, I think that'd be fine. The starter 500 point armies Warlord sells are around that anyhow.
Thanks for the reply! I've been having a look at the 500 point armies and they all look very interesting! Now my only problem is picking an army I want to field :).

A shop nearby regularly has 700 point battles so I guess that I can get a lot out of one of the 500 point armies and just add a tank. I'll probably turn out to play the Heer - or Fallschirmjäger.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're FLGS doesn't enforce a strict rule of only using Warlord Games miniatures (and why would they?) Wargames Factory actually makes really nice WWII figures in 28mm and they cost like 22 dollars for 30 guys. Some of their older minis are pretty terrible, but ever since they fired their old CEO and the new Chinese parent company took over they have been making really nice stuff.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Finished the first half of my 25 pdr. battery for the Canadian company I'm doing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those Canadians look amazing!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you're FLGS doesn't enforce a strict rule of only using Warlord Games miniatures (and why would they?) Wargames Factory actually makes really nice WWII figures in 28mm and they cost like 22 dollars for 30 guys.

I don't think I've cross-posted these before, but part of my February oath was a platoon of WGF Soviets (as tank riders):

They're incredible models for the value, I converted some Plastic Soldier Factory figures with the leftover heads. (The AT gunner and some of the LMG crew.) You get a ton of leftover weapons and heads, they go together nicely, and they're human-proportioned instead of Warlord's "heroic" 28mm. They're also not infinitely poseable - some arms and bodies are meant to go together, and it can be tricky to gauge which by the lettering on the sprue. But once you get the hang of it they're really great.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thank you.

Those russians are loving incredible! Love the highlights on the uniforms.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

TheBlobThing posted:

Finished the first half of my 25 pdr. battery for the Canadian company I'm doing.

The detail on these is great. I love the motorcycle.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Paper Mac posted:

The detail on these is great. I love the motorcycle.

Thanks. The bases are sculpted resin bases that come with the 25 pdr. battery boxed set though, so I can't take credit for that.

By the way, I have a question about the Airborne Parachute Rifle Company from the Overlord book. The Company Command Squad can take up to 3 Bazooka Teams for 20 pts. each. How are these teams organised? Are they Warrior teams? Independen? Do they have to stay in command with the Command teams?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You assign them to other platoons within the force. So if you have two Rifle Platoons and two bazooka teams you can assign each platoon a bazooka in addiiton to the one you can buy for them (so each platoon would have two bazookas each).

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

You assign them to other platoons within the force. So if you have two Rifle Platoons and two bazooka teams you can assign each platoon a bazooka in addiiton to the one you can buy for them (so each platoon would have two bazookas each).

Thanks. That's the way we played it, but I couldn't find a rule for it. Where does it say this?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's in the bit of the rulebook about deployment IIRC.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I'm cross posting some pics of a build I recently made and posted WIP updates over in the scale model thread. I thought some people here might like it.

It's a 1:35 scale Ferdinand from the battle of Kursk. It's a Dragon premium kit pretty much box built.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

TheBlobThing posted:

Thanks. That's the way we played it, but I couldn't find a rule for it. Where does it say this?

"Combat Attachments" on page 260 of the mini-rule book.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheBlobThing posted:

It's mentioned in the Mission section of the main rulebook, where it talks about setting up your forces. IIRC, if you take additional infantry teams with your 1iC and 2iC you have to part them out to your combat or weapons platoons. If you take gun teams with your HQ section, you can either choose to attach them, or you can form another platoon with your 2iC as the platoon leader, and with tank teams you have to form an additional platoon. At least, that's how I remember it, though I only skimmed it a while ago, so feel free to correct me.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Numlock got it right, as I just looked it up myself. Thanks for the help guys.

Also, that Ferdinand looks sweet.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
My LGS is looking to do a Battlefoam order, and I've figured that now that I have the money for it, that I should probably get me something other than a tackle box to carry my FoW armies in. I've heard Battlefoam is kindy pricey for what they have, so what alternatives exist? Mainly looking at foam or at least something to expand storage to help cut down on how much space my crap takes up, as well as eliminate the hassle of taking one army out of all the tackle boxes and putting the next one in.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

My LGS is looking to do a Battlefoam order, and I've figured that now that I have the money for it, that I should probably get me something other than a tackle box to carry my FoW armies in. I've heard Battlefoam is kindy pricey for what they have, so what alternatives exist? Mainly looking at foam or at least something to expand storage to help cut down on how much space my crap takes up, as well as eliminate the hassle of taking one army out of all the tackle boxes and putting the next one in.

GameCraft Minis does something similar, albeit not a bag.

http://store.gcmshop.com/c/136/tank-transports

E: NM, they only do it in 1/285

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

YF19pilot posted:

I have KR Multicase, they do card cases that hold a stack of FoW stuff, and bags that hold the cases, and on the plus side they're a great company with a quality product, whereas Battlefoam is run by a total prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So only a year after getting the rules, I finally got to play Chain of Command today! It's pretty much the best. The whole game actually reminded me a lot of drawing or writing - you start off with a rough sketch and then progressively add details to focus where the action happens. I realize that sounds a bit pretentious for a nerdgame, but it played totally different than what I'm used to or expected.

The patrol phase plays quick, and it's like checkers but heavier. And you can certainly make things much harder for yourself here.

I loved the command dice system. It feels like you won those activations you're betting on your troops' actions. Because of that, you're much more invested in everything you do. You never just push a few guys across the board because eh, why not. And you never forget these guys get some shots... eh, nothing. Every time you roll dice, it's because they're the most important dice you can be rolling right now. And then you're interested in you're opponent's turn because you get to see what he thinks is important, and hoping he doesn't notice vulnerabilities you had to leave open. It all lead to a lot of nail-biting, super tense moments - Everything just felt like it mattered.

That's a lot of words to say it was fun. It was a lot of fun.