Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Passion for Dilbert posted:

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/bummer-alert/black-tusk-bassist-jonathan-athon-in-medically-induced-coma-after-motorcycle-accident

Bummer way to start my day. Some rear end in a top hat ran a stop sign and now Black Tusk Bassist Jonathon Athon is in a coma.

It's reported that he just passed. This sucks; those are some really nice dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's awful. I'm not big on Black Tusk but that's really lovely. Thankfully his girlfriend made it okay.

I can't find anything on him passing though. Where did you see that?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 9, 2014

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's awful. I'm not big on Black Tusk but that's really lovely. Thankfully his girlfriend made it okay.

I've got some friends that are playing in GA this weekend. Apparently it's all over up there. The most "official" announcement I've seen is on Order of the Owl's FB page.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's been announced on the band's Facebook page. He has been taken off life support. Apparently his girlfriend was relatively unscathed. Feel bad for her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not sure which member of Baroness wrote this (I'm guessing John Baizley), but here's a tribute. Serious :smith: ahead:

quote:

Some folks shine more brightly than others. Today we lost our dear friend and brother Athon, who distinguished himself, unknowingly, by shining just a little more brightly than the rest of us.
I remember clearly the night I met Athon about 15 years ago. I was a punk rocker, new to Savannah, and I was struggling to find a group of kids who would accept me into their circle. I met Athon one night in the typically trash strewn back alley of a punk-house party on the west side of town. He was the only person there who didn’t stonewall me, or seem to care that I wasn’t a regular; and he immediately offered me a drink, a smoke and an told one of his many off-color jokes (as was his style). Our friendship started that night, but continued to develop over the years as we shared company at many more parties, shows, rehearsal spaces and eventually tours.
When I was a young man, my father cursed/blessed me with the wisdom that “a man is only as good as his word,” a standard I continue my struggle to live up to. For Athon, the embodiment of that idea came as naturally as the intake of air; and he remains one of the few people I’ve ever met who consistently and unquestioningly followed through on every project he set out to do, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential. He silkscreened his own band shirts, he was a photographer, a bass player, a carpenter, a drum/bass/guitar builder, a whiskey distiller and a BBQ master of the highest order. He was a genuine, earnest and honest man par excellence; and it would be difficult to make even a perfunctory attempt to list the impact he’s had on everyone around Savannah and the rest of the world. I defy you to find an enemy of his. He was unafraid of telling the hard truths; and while he most definitely liked to see what he could get away with saying, he never spoke a word, however humorous or offensive, without his full conviction.
I’ve had the express pleasure of working with his band Black Tusk on nearly every recording they’ve made, and it was always Athon who had a very clear vision for the look and direction of their album covers, without contradicting my sometimes difficult-to-deal-with artistic eccentricities. He had an easily definable vision as so few seem to have; and I am honored to have been with Black Tusk since their beginning and to watch them grow into the rock-and-roll powerhouse they have become. Athon’s onstage exuberance was a huge part of what drew me to them initially and that pure love of onstage performance had not dimmed over the years, propelling them to tour not only outside of Savannah, but all around the world. I think back on a show we played with Black Tusk last fall in Denmark, and my eyes well up with tears at the reality that the show at Loppen was the final time I’ll ever get to see Athon play that monstrous bass of his. His spirit touched everyone he came across; I spoke to my mother just this morning as she walked around her house, unable to count all the different places Athon had fixed things. In fact, it’s impossible to walk the streets of Savannah without feeling his presence. He truly was a man-about-town, and loved by everyone. He had an insatiable appetite to fix things, an uncompromising honesty, and an enviable ambition to learn new skills. He was a unique person to say the least, hard working till the end, and with a lust for life that sometimes left us all spinning. I don’t know what will happen next, Athon but I wish you were here to be a part of it. I love you buddy.

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?
Yeah, I live down in the area. The whole local music scene has been totally shaken up, Athon was one of the most genuinely nice people around.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Idioteque Dance posted:

This is a great recording of a full Sunn O))) set, of course nothing can capture the sheer volume of their performance but this gets as close as reasonably possible.

Also thanks for reminding me, totally gonna listen to Godflesh now.

Thanks for this, hadn't seen it yet--but by the way, for everyone in the thread, that YouTube channel is completely worth subscribing to

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
saw em play & exchanged a few words, RIP. seemed like a bunch fun & down to earth guys.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 10, 2014

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Looks like the border guards caught Wino with 11 grams of amphetamines, resulting in him being expelled from the country. Make sure to see Saint Vitus now if you get the chance, because this does not bode well for his supposed sobriety.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Hey Idioteque Dance, how was the show? Would really appreciate hearing your opinion!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh it was a great night. In fact I'm listening to Necro Deathmort right now. At 8am.

Bong cancelled at the last minute which suuuuuuuuuuuucked as it was the main reason I went, and a few people I talked to felt the same, but I could hardly turn up my nose at the rest of the lineup. I hadn't listened to NDM that much and it was a huge surprise, I was captivated from start to finish. 11paranoias delivered some amazing riffs for an hour which is exactly what you'd expect from their material, and I actually missed Dragged Into Sunlight at Temples so I was really glad to have another chance to see them. It was super intense and heavy, and so tight. The songwriter is a close friend of a friend actually, but back when I got to know the guy they were opening for sludge and doom bands like Bossk and Manatees, rather than the other way round. Glad to see them doing well.

I love Exchange, I saw Bongripper and Conan there too and it's the perfect size and sound for doom gigs.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Idioteque Dance posted:

Oh it was a great night. In fact I'm listening to Necro Deathmort right now. At 8am.

Bong cancelled at the last minute which suuuuuuuuuuuucked as it was the main reason I went, and a few people I talked to felt the same, but I could hardly turn up my nose at the rest of the lineup. I hadn't listened to NDM that much and it was a huge surprise, I was captivated from start to finish. 11paranoias delivered some amazing riffs for an hour which is exactly what you'd expect from their material, and I actually missed Dragged Into Sunlight at Temples so I was really glad to have another chance to see them. It was super intense and heavy, and so tight. The songwriter is a close friend of a friend actually, but back when I got to know the guy they were opening for sludge and doom bands like Bossk and Manatees, rather than the other way round. Glad to see them doing well.

I love Exchange, I saw Bongripper and Conan there too and it's the perfect size and sound for doom gigs.

The songwriter I'm assuming has a name beginning with "A"? I've been following the band since the beginning, they're like a family to me so I'm glad you enjoyed the show! We were a bit pissed off with the really bright EXIT signs and lack of smoke but at least it wasn't as bad as in London the night before where they kept way too many lights on, we were furious. Oh well.

The lovely lady Sofi who put it on was by far one of the best promoters ever, she made the entire evening so comfortable. I can't recommend her enough to other bands, she deserves some sort of reward for her work. Plus the venue was hella' cool, security was awful though. Ended up doodling these two while sort of passed out backstage thanks to ~good things~

Solefald fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 12, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Solefald posted:

The songwriter I'm assuming has a name beginning with "A"? I've been following the band since the beginning, they're like a family to me so I'm glad you enjoyed the show! We were a bit pissed off with the really bright EXIT signs and lack of smoke but at least it wasn't as bad as in London the night before where they kept way too many lights on, we were furious. Oh well.

The lovely lady Sofi who put it on was by far one of the best promoters ever, she made the entire evening so comfortable. I can't recommend her enough to other bands, she deserves some sort of reward for her work. Plus the venue was hella' cool, security was awful though. Ended up doodling these two while sort of passed out backstage thanks to ~good things~

Hey, I was at the London show, and I enjoyed it because I love DITS (I'm wearing a tshirt I picked up at the show now, actually), but you're right about the lights. Wasn't nearly as intense as the first time I saw them at Damnation with all the smoke and the darkness. Still really good musically though. Excited to hear some new recordings from them. The Dome is a kind of sucky venue though. It's a shame it seems to be being used a lot recently for bands who either don't suit the size of the room, or aren't big enough to fill it. I guess it's cheap or something. I'm sort of worried that Ascension (a German BM band, just in case you're unaware) who are playing there in a few months are going to be sort of swamped.

The issues with the lighting reminds me of when I saw Celeste in Brighton. They play in complete darkness with poo poo-loads of fog, and wear head torches to see their instruments and stuff. Unfortunately, the fire exit sign was so bright that it was killing the atmosphere. A bunch of people took turns covering the sign to try and keep the atmosphere right, and then in the last 20 minutes or so of the gig, they opened up the curtains which shut the bar area off from the venue, entirely killing the atmosphere. Then they refused to close them again. Sucks.

From the DITS london show, Hooded Menace and Resurgency were great too. We didn't see anyone else because of pizza and beer preoccupation.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Haha, Old Man Gloom is great. Clicky for new album stream.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
About a year ago I went to a Windhand show that was a couple hours away at a venue I'd never been to before. It was at The Hideaway in Johnston City, Tennessee. I saw a Dragged Into Sunlight flyer on the wall. I was so happy...then I read that it was from a show in 2012 that I could have gone to if I had known what was up. Now I'm afraid they will never come to the U.S. again. I'm so sad about this.

This Old Man Gloom is really good, thanks. In the past for whatever reason I had categorized Old Man Gloom as not for me but this stuff is clicking with me.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hideaway Is about two hours from me! Never been but they seem to have good acts in from time to time.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
speaking of st. vitus, wino just got kicked out from the EU cuz of the 11 grams of speed he was trying to smuggle into Norway. they said on fb that chandler is gonna do the vocals in his place.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Now I'm afraid they will never come to the U.S. again. I'm so sad about this.

They are playing MDF next year and I don't think they're going to go all the way to the States just for one show ;)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Solefald posted:

They are playing MDF next year and I don't think they're going to go all the way to the States just for one show ;)

:toot: I sure hope they come close to NC, if they are going to Maryland they've got to come close to NC.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ElectricWizard posted:

his supposed sobriety.

lol

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just got in from Destroyer Fest in St. Pete. Lots of good stoner-y metal goodness all night, and topped off by the mighty Weedeater. Best $15 I've spent in a long time. Fuckin' tired now, getting old kinda sucks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Eyehategod and Today is the Day were sick last night, but gently caress having five bands on the bill when winter is coming in a city where people rely on public transportation to get home. Shows shouldn't get out at 1:30 in the morning.

Also the venue doesn't really have a backstage so I literally rubbed shoulders with Mike IX Williams and learned that he's even shorter than I am. I kind of wanted to talk to Steve Austin but just couldn't deal.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
https://soundcloud.com/easyriderrecords/salems-pot-pink-flamingos

It's Salem's Pot so of course, it completely owns

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
http://azizampls.bandcamp.com/ My band's new demo, check it out if yall want. Elements of sludge, hardcore and metal. Cross postin this poo poo

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Had a quick look through Darthemeds nice list of material and the Demon Head demo really caught my interest. Any good rec's for that more traditional style?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

AgentJotun posted:

Had a quick look through Darthemeds nice list of material and the Demon Head demo really caught my interest. Any good rec's for that more traditional style?

pentagram
the obsessed
trouble
wicked lady
captain beyond
dust

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saw mastodon last night. They're touring their new album, which I haven't really listened to. They played a lot of stuff from leviathan though and a few tracks from crack the skye. Their sound was pretty good live compared to what I've heard in vids of them. Worth checking out!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Right now I think my favorite songs of the year is a toss-up between YOB and Goat. These tracks have been spinning in my head for months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HdnaDuRwok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jptSHuThLE

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

hihifellow posted:

Haha, Old Man Gloom is great. Clicky for new album stream.
Yeah, The Ape of God (I'm treating them both as one big album for simplicity) is far and away my favorite release of the year. The riffage in "Never Ender" is the hookiest, catchiest thing I've heard in ages, and "Predators" tickles that perfect bass groove that sends me spinning. Great stuff.

If you guys haven't heard this, Ape of God II's opening track "Burden" will sell you. It's a goddamned earthquake.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 22, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Wiser Fool are one of the best rock bands in Vancouver right now. I saw them play a great set opening for Bison earlier this month, and their new album is killer: http://wiserfool.bandcamp.com/album/all-that-is-left-behind

Their last release had more of a doom vibe, whereas this one is generally faster and more on the hard rock side, which is where my taste has been running lately.

I'm a sucker for 9/8, so I particularly like track 4, "What Is In Your Head?"

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 24, 2014

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
A couple of y'all have mentioned Witch Mountain's latest Mobile of Angels. Don't sleep on this people. Uta's last record with the band and it's an awesome one. I love every track and that last one is a killer knowing that it's the last new WM song with Uta I'll ever hear. WM definitely fits the bluesier spectrum of doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0-pYCvhuM

Also another standout for me this year was not-so-strictly doom from Agalloch with Serpent & The Sphere. Fantastic. Both bands outta Portland and both albums recorded by Billy Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czl1kemvgNs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Old Man Gloom album (s) are so good. Also the Full of Hell and Merzbow album is great. Good year for this thread!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Quantum of Phallus posted:

New Old Man Gloom album (s) are so good.

Yes. Also got me going through the Hydra Head back catalogue and Mamiffer are great, dunno how I haven't heard them before.

Also there was a new 11Paranoias record or this week and it's pretty decent. http://ritualproductions.bandcamp.com/album/stealing-fire-from-heaven

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
You guys got me to listening to Ape of God at 2am in the morning and that sample running throughout A Hideous Nightmare Lies Upon the World creeped me right the gently caress out. Good albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know what it is about Old Man Gloom but I can never get into them the way everyone else seems to. They're nice and heavy and I like all of the other bands the members are in, but I feel like they're always less than the sum of their parts. And the ambient sections suck.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

just came across an NZ band called Shallow Grave, really cool atmospheric sludge: https://shallowgravedoom.bandcamp.com/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Idioteque Dance posted:

Speaking of Exchange, how much of a ballache is it to get there? I'm seeing Raging Speedhorn there next Friday and have never had to go to this particular venue before by some miracle/depressing fact of missing a million gigs and I don't know if I want to drive in and try to find somewhere to park or just bus it into the centre and walk.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

A human heart posted:

just came across an NZ band called Shallow Grave, really cool atmospheric sludge: https://shallowgravedoom.bandcamp.com/

I'm listening to this right now and my co-worker and I both agree that it's loving rad. Thanks for this.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Bobtista posted:

Speaking of Exchange, how much of a ballache is it to get there? I'm seeing Raging Speedhorn there next Friday and have never had to go to this particular venue before by some miracle/depressing fact of missing a million gigs and I don't know if I want to drive in and try to find somewhere to park or just bus it into the centre and walk.

Yeah a lot more of the heavier gigs have gone to Exchange since The Croft closed, so it's more of a recent thing. It's right in Old Market - basically just across the roundabout from Cabot Circus (the main shopping centre). So it's basically right there in the centre - you'd have no problems if you got a bus to the centre, just walk through Broadmead or around Castle Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

ElectricWizard posted:

Right now I think my favorite songs of the year is a toss-up between YOB and Goat. These tracks have been spinning in my head for months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HdnaDuRwok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jptSHuThLE

Yesss someone actually mentioned Goat. I just saw them this weekend! They all wore trippy disguises and sounded fantastic. The two girl singers were hippie dancing around stage in shaman outfits waving staffs and poo poo all show long. So good.

And I can't believe that I missed Cormorant releasing an amazing new album this year: http://cormorant.bandcamp.com/