Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Dbhg is so cheap though...

What method is this? I'm not that familiar with all the methods. I just saw what sweet maria offered and the Behmor looked the best for me which is 300$ a little pricey for me right now.

Oh edit is this the heat gun method you guys were talking about a few pages ago? Where can I find a decent gun and guide on how to do this method?

http://www.erikweaver.com/coffee/

Ah cool I think I'm going to try this out, what gun are you using though?

shizen fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

shizen posted:

What method is this? I'm not that familiar with all the methods. I just saw what sweet maria offered and the Behmor looked the best for me which is 300$ a little pricey for me right now.

Oh edit is this the heat gun method you guys were talking about a few pages ago? Where can I find a decent gun and guide on how to do this method?

Yeah, Dog Bowl Heat Gun.

I have problems with phrasing it as dbhg because I see hg and I think mercury and get all kinds of confused :v:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

shizen posted:

The $20 Wagner gun from Homedepot, I'm on my way to work so I can't write up a guide, but if you search the forums for "heat gun dog bowl" you'll find a bunch of posts about it.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, Dog Bowl Heat Gun.

I have problems with phrasing it as dbhg because I see hg and I think mercury and get all kinds of confused :v:

How is the smoke when you do it though? I figure that might be the only real problem.

Edit ^ thanks I'm going to try and pick one up and experiment with this.

shizen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 19, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

shizen posted:

How is the smoke when you do it though? I figure that might be the only real problem.

There's a bit smoke, and it smells fairly strong. If you can't roast outdoors, I'd suggest roasting under your range vent or setup near and window with a fan.

The Behmor produces some smoke/smell, as well. I roast in my room near and open window with a fan and I can contain the smell to my room, but it still smells pretty strong for a while.

I'd suggest a 64oz flat bottom dog bowl, long wood spoon and a mesh strainer (for cooling purposes). The 64oz bowl should be perfect for a 1/2lb.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

shizen posted:

Edit ^ thanks I'm going to try and pick one up and experiment with this.

It's pretty smoky, and chaff goes flying everywhere as with all of the cheap ways to roast coffee.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Has anyone used that one $20 Mr. Coffee electric grinder?

Just wanted to get some opinions on it since I happened to get it from a guy I know

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Personal experience (I had a Hamilton Beach one) is I find the grind somewhat inconsistent and the motor will fail at some point. Otherwise they do a decent enough job. YMMV

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Google Butt posted:

There's a bit smoke, and it smells fairly strong. If you can't roast outdoors, I'd suggest roasting under your range vent or setup near and window with a fan.

The Behmor produces some smoke/smell, as well. I roast in my room near and open window with a fan and I can contain the smell to my room, but it still smells pretty strong for a while.

I'd suggest a 64oz flat bottom dog bowl, long wood spoon and a mesh strainer (for cooling purposes). The 64oz bowl should be perfect for a 1/2lb.

To add to this, if you have a Shop-Vac (or something similar) and a spare cardboard box, cut a hole in one of the sides big enough to set the strainer in (at about the level of your normal roast volume), and another hole in one of the other sides JUST big enough for the shop vac hose. When you're done roasting, set the strainer in the bigger hole and turn on the shop vac. If you're doing this in a cold garage, the beans will be cooled in 10-20 seconds... less effective in the summer obviously :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

dedian posted:

To add to this, if you have a Shop-Vac (or something similar) and a spare cardboard box, cut a hole in one of the sides big enough to set the strainer in (at about the level of your normal roast volume), and another hole in one of the other sides JUST big enough for the shop vac hose. When you're done roasting, set the strainer in the bigger hole and turn on the shop vac. If you're doing this in a cold garage, the beans will be cooled in 10-20 seconds... less effective in the summer obviously :)

Yep! Cooling is one of the keys to getting a good roast, for sure.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I find dumping the hot beans onto a cookie sheet then setting it on my freezing cold (they are cold year round) granite counters cools them off in about 2 minutes. Heat sink.

I've beaten my whirley pop to complete poo poo in a little over a year. I've saved enough over that time for a Behmor 1600 and sample pack from Sweet Maria's. Ah gently caress it I might do a couple more whirley pop batches and wait until January.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I find dumping the hot beans onto a cookie sheet then setting it on my freezing cold (they are cold year round) granite counters cools them off in about 2 minutes. Heat sink.

I've beaten my whirley pop to complete poo poo in a little over a year. I've saved enough over that time for a Behmor 1600 and sample pack from Sweet Maria's. Ah gently caress it I might do a couple more whirley pop batches and wait until January.

If you buy the behmor from sm's, it comes with an 8lb sample pack :D

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Quick guys, I need a recommendation for a source for some very low acid coffee that still tastes really good. I don't really care what the price is I just want the best intersection of low acid and good flavor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

signalnoise posted:

Quick guys, I need a recommendation for a source for some very low acid coffee that still tastes really good. I don't really care what the price is I just want the best intersection of low acid and good flavor.

Something sumatran. Avoid east africans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ugh I bought some Rwandan beans from Four Barrel without reading anything about it. I knew something was up when I smelled it and it reminded me of my aunt. Brewed some and it tasted like dirt and gross herbal tea. Always read the descriptions before buying beans. I looked it up and they described the flavor as "lilac."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I've absolutely loved the Rwandan's I've roasted from SM's.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

signalnoise posted:

Cold brew coffee. If you are über lazy I know Trader Joe's sells some, but haven't tried it yet.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

After a few times of doing it, I'm not really sure french press is for me for a daily coffee. (mostly because I'm very lazy and I really don't want to have to clean the carafe, plunger, etc.)

Should I just splurge a little and get a Bonavita drip? I like grinding fresh, but I've seen the light as far as brewing temps and I don't want to just waste fresh roasted coffee by putting them into a cheap coffee maker, ie. this Oster I got from Sams that makes all coffee taste the same. I can literally brew Folgers or fresh ground Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and get the same cup of coffee. :smith:

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 22, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Who Dat posted:

After a few times of doing it, I'm not really sure french press is for me for a daily coffee. (mostly because I'm very lazy and I really don't want to have to clean the carafe, plunger, etc.)

Should I just splurge a little and get a Bonavita drip? I like grinding fresh, but I've seen the light as far as brewing temps and I don't want to just waste fresh roasted coffee by putting them into a cheap coffee maker, ie. this Oster I got from Sams that makes all coffee taste the same.

CCD all day, erry day.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Google Butt posted:

CCD all day, erry day.

I guess I should get one huh?

I just like more than one cup usually.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

You can make a pretty big cup with the large CCD, I think. I usually just drink 1 320g cup per day though.

I'd recommend ordering the Filtropa filters from SM's, they're the best.

Cleanup is easy: dump filter, rinse.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Who Dat posted:

Should I just splurge a little and get a Bonavita drip?

I'm selling my Bonavita if you end up wanting to go that route. I bought it just under a year ago and used it maybe 50 times. The thermal carafe that it comes with is brand new, as I used a Chemex + Kone instead. Let me know if you're interested!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Hey goons I need some advice on how to best make use of this machine I got bought for Christmas (No I cannot return it, for social reasons).

Now according to the OP and my petty personal experience, these machines and the one-drink capsules they take are pieces of poo poo, but I more or less have to be seen to be using this for at least ~6 months (again, social reasons).

As a result I'm wondering, is it possible to make some kind of re-usable version of these capsules that I fill with my own ground coffee? Does anyone know how the mechanism on these machines work, and whether that would be possible?

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how to salvage this that would be nice too as I'm basically just trying to salvage some value out of this thing since it *is* a gift and I'd hate to a) buy more overpriced capsules or b) not use it at all.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Just be honest with your wife, man. You don't have to live a lie for 6 months to save face.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

Just be honest with your wife, man. You don't have to live a lie for 6 months to save face.

Sadly this isn't someone close enough for me to really need to be honest, but it is someone who I have... rather Machiavellian reasons for not snubbing.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

A jargogle posted:

Hey goons I need some advice on how to best make use of this machine I got bought for Christmas (No I cannot return it, for social reasons).

Now according to the OP and my petty personal experience, these machines and the one-drink capsules they take are pieces of poo poo, but I more or less have to be seen to be using this for at least ~6 months (again, social reasons).

As a result I'm wondering, is it possible to make some kind of re-usable version of these capsules that I fill with my own ground coffee? Does anyone know how the mechanism on these machines work, and whether that would be possible?

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how to salvage this that would be nice too as I'm basically just trying to salvage some value out of this thing since it *is* a gift and I'd hate to a) buy more overpriced capsules or b) not use it at all.

You can buy a reusable capsules to use with whatever coffee you have but lol at you not being able to return a loving coffee machine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

A jargogle posted:

The refillables I've tried kinda sucked. I have found a drinkable, low plastic brand I like, though. San Francisco bay Fogchaser, has a tea bag type body instead of plastic, decent cup of coffee for the office. Beats Starbucks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

A jargogle posted:

Sadly this isn't someone close enough for me to really need to be honest, but it is someone who I have... rather Machiavellian reasons for not snubbing.

So use it when this someone is over problem solved what the gently caress.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Nespresso are actually pretty good, completely different world than k-cups. Expensive and not as good as someone who knows what they are doing on a good machine, but 3-star restaurants use them, and for good reason.

If you want espresso drinks and don't mind paying the price for the capsules, I'd say keep it.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 26, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They taste better than average. Better than any espresso you'll get a chain store certainly.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

A jargogle posted:

fwiw, bed bath and beyond will take returns for store credit without a receipt.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Third-ing the "better than average" sentiment. Unless you have a decent coffee shop near you, the espresso shot from the Nespresso machine is better than what a "barista" at a Starbucks/other franchise can get you.

As for the mechanism, I think the Nespresso ones actually have a pressure pump (no idea if it's near actual espresso machine levels), or so they claim. That might make the reusable capsules a bit harder to use, since you'd have to pack them real tight.

I'd suggest lattes, if you want to mask the taste somewhat.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

A jargogle posted:

Yeah, just mirroring the sentiment of store the loving thing and pull it out when said person comes over if you abhor it that much.

Also Nespresso is very good. When I say very good I mean better than you (and most of us) are ever going to make at home. Also they have quite a few intensities so they really make an effort to tailor to just about everyone.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Love for a one-drink capsule machine using pre-ground beans, in MY coffee thread? What is the world coming to

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Mandalay posted:

Love for a one-drink capsule machine using pre-ground beans, in MY coffee thread? What is the world coming to

I had instant coffee this holiday season, and it was better than not having coffee. Please remember to be thankful this season and praise third wave baby jesus for blessings when possible. I was thankful I had garbage coffee and another year passed where I was not given a keurig (clearly a source of great anxiety for the coffee-goon).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there anything you can do with 80ml glasses besides espresso? I got these for Christmas:

and while they're pretty great, the only thing I have to make espresso is a Dolce Gusto machine (crema is pretty good; the coffee... not so much). What I do have is a CCD and a french press (and a Kalita Wave gathering dust since I bought the CCD).

I guess I can use them as shot glasses.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Thanks to this thread I put a Hario Skerton on my list and got it, but now I've got to get through my preground stuff I've got on hand. :gonk: (at least it's a nice Peruvian bean).

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

seravid posted:

Is there anything you can do with 80ml glasses besides espresso? I got these for Christmas:

and while they're pretty great, the only thing I have to make espresso is a Dolce Gusto machine (crema is pretty good; the coffee... not so much). What I do have is a CCD and a french press (and a Kalita Wave gathering dust since I bought the CCD).

I guess I can use them as shot glasses.

I got these for Xmas too! I plan on using them for espresso from an Aeropress. I guess you could use them for cordials?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Yeah, just use them if you want smaller stronger cups of coffee. Mocha makers, aeropress, whiskey...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

frenchnewwave posted:

I got these for Xmas too! I plan on using them for espresso from an Aeropress. I guess you could use them for cordials?

Layered cordials would look pretty great in those glasses.